Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

United Automobile Workers of America (UAW)

rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
edited January 2014 in General
It appears the UAW, is really pushing to unionize Toyota.

Toyota workers in Kentucky demand a share in company's success:

http://www.uaw.org/news/newsarticle.cfm?ArtId=450

I talk a lot of smack about buying a Hyundai Genesis, but you guys all know when it came down to it I couldn't pull the trigger. I pulled it once on the Acura, (a mistake) but I got to support american jobs. Now if those Hyundai Genesis, were made here with american parts and were union made that might be a different story. ;) I hope the UAW, does unionize Toyota, because I'd like to at least keep Toyota, as a option in the future. :) Y'all Toyota Kool-Aid drinkers wouldn't ever here me talk very much smack ever again about Toyota. Now if we could get those Lexus brand cars made here by UAW workers that would be a cool option. :shades:

I however will most likely only drive General Motors automobiles. Sure I like other brands but I need to support good jobs for our workers. I would love to see Toyota, provide good paying union jobs where workers can be employed for a full career. :)

Rocky
Tagged:

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I think Congress doesn't have the means to bargain with Japan and Korea and China and get the trading tariffs/fees levelled to a fair game for the U.S.

They want to keep things "open" and keep the flow of trade coming in. The other contries won't agree to lift tariffs on U.S. cars and trucks and claim that their people "hate" American automotive products.

I don't know how much of this is really true and how much is being "spoon-fed" in to their homeland people, know what I mean?

rocky...I am not against the UAW yet I do feel that they have not helped the situation with the domestics and their imposed "playing field" with the imports and the import countries.

I favored Ford products and bought them for many moons.

A revamped Falcon(I liked the old early 60's Falcon's..the forerunner to the Mustang)would we most welcome for Ford, the new Mustang is a very good effort by Ford and I think the Fusion is a fairly well-built midsize from Ford...I took a look at them last year... for a few days, anyway.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Proposed treaty doesn't eliminate barriers to U.S. products in Korean market

http://www.uaw.org/atissue/atstory.cfm?atId=182

Tell Congress: NO on Korea free trade agreement!

http://www.uaw.org/dclink/dcstory.cfm?DcId=148

It also fails to protect workers rights :sick:

http://www.uaw.org/dclink/factworkerrights.pdf

The UAW, can see the writing on the wall. They like me can see the growing impact Hyundai and Kia will have on the U.S. market and eliminating the tariff will only make it worse. :(

Just my $0.02 ;)

Rocky
    if GM, Ford and DCX design engineers would eat just a few less jelly donuts(or should I say a few more)and drink a few less cups of Starbuck's and design a car like my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I might be spending my money on domestic automotive products. The UAW has rode the glory train for way too many years and, sadly, the manufacturing has gleaned on large pick-em up trucks and large homely SUVs.

I love cars, trucks, not so much.

Imports: great cars.

Domestics: decent trucks.

I hear the health care industry needs workers.

iluv, indeed your Lancer, is a very nice looking automobile. It wouldn't be so cheap if it wasn't for the currency manipulation problem we have with Japan. We've been through that discussion enough so I'll leave it alone.

GM, has built a great Lancer competitor called the Opel/Saturn Astra. I think the next generation is being examined as we speak. I think I read on insideline GM, is going to invest 4.5 Billion on this car. It is a very popular automobile in Europe. I guess the Lancer, just grabbed ya. I can see why. I wished GM, would build a Lancer, like vehicle as it is a great design IMHO. My wife doesn't like it and prefers the Astra. I guess if ford brought over the Falcon, it would really give the Lancer, some compeition. Chrysler, appears to have no real competitor is the compact car segment. Honda, is still king but I do think the Lancer, will sell very well.

The UAW, hasn't rode on the glory train in several years. Look at how many jobs they have lost because this country refuses to properly protect manufactoring jobs like automobile jobs while foreign governments place barriers to eliminate competition in their homeland. The only vehicles that sell in foreign lands made outside of their country in Korea, Japan, China, is luxury vehicles like Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, because when your filthy rich you can afford the tariff. ;)

Rocky
    UAW bid would face hurdles

Union chief says he wants Chrysler to stay with DCX, but is studying members' proposal to buy company.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/AUTO01/704210356/1148- /rss25

If this were to happen I guess I'd have to some how find a DCX product I like and buy it. :D

Kerkorkian, is meeting with the UAW, and just maybe togeather they will buy it. What I'd like to see is the UAW, make a 100% american made union vehicle and I'd be one of the first to line-up to buy it. ;)

Rocky
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/AUTO01/704210378/1148- /rss25

What does this mean to you: The UAW, is going to get a lot more flexible with it's work rules to be more competitive. Now if we can only get congress to help them out by leveling the playing field. ;)

Rocky
    The Japanese, are nationalist. I can respect that. We in our culture have lost that I suppose. I'm sometimes guilty of it. I however try to make more of a effort to buy american than your average Joe. ;)

Rocky
    I have to say that after all of these months posting on here I see that you are making a great effort and that is repectable. You have UAW and family with automotive success interests in the domestic product. Of course you're gonna feel the way you do.

I guess I changed my attitude in the late 90's when I saw low-cost cars coming from S.Korea that looked like they were built fairly well. Far from perfect(indeed my first Kia, a '99 Sephia, just held Kia's 3 year and 36,000 mile powertrain Warranty, IIRC)but I liked their small bodies and attention to detail. Kia and yes big bro Hyundai, esp.with the new Genesis project, are looking out for themselves quite well. They're building manufacturing plants with intentions for more plants from both makers. Kia is now looking strongly at making their Mojave pickup truck that will sell, of course, in the U.S.

Mitsu has me captured though with this hot new Lancer GTS. My wife and I are diggin' the Rally Red paint job and the sunroof and that monster stereo from Rockford Fosgate. I respect Mitsubishi's building talents and this car handles great and produces no annoying squeaks and rattles.

I like I have said in the Genesis, forum which I created still after my change of heart believe the Genesis, will win a lot of buyers. If they made it here and was made let's say of 70% domestic content I could perhaps buy one.

The fact remains that Korea's domestic content sits at 3%. That wasn't my only problem with it. I did a lot of research yesterday on South Korea, Hyundai, Kia, and the myths of them treating their country's citizens fair with human rights was a real turn off for me. I read buyer testimony's on the net of sales experiences and boy this company has issues on customer service that would make VW blush. I always thought VW, was bad but man some of these people were told to bend over and touch their toes in the service department.

I suppose as you say that more and more Hykia products will be built here. That is a good thing. They might not come here so fast if they see Toyota, getting unionized because of the way they are treating older employees. Hyundai's biggest fear would be paying liveable wages and benefits. They right now pay about $14 an hour in Alabama. Since they have a 401K retirement that means the employee contributions aren't very high on those wages because of the cost of living. That just isn't sustainable and you'd have to work till you croak.

As far as your Lancer, goes I guess it's made in Japan ? I always thought for some reason they were made in California, but the car I'm must be thinking of is the Eclipse (I Think) ? I like I said to you believe the Lancer, is very stylish. It would be nice if Mitsubishi, would build all their cars here. :)

Rocky
    indeed built by Mitsubishi in Japan, yes.

No, I am not one to take human rights issues in to play when making an economic decision involving my wife and I. That is, I will admit that, if I allowed myself to get emotionally involved enough through research, as you said you did, I might change my mind. I got good usage out of both of my Kia's and the service department treated me very well at both dealerships I went to for service.

I have not heard of Mitsubishi mistreating their employees at all. If anyone has input regarding that, do fire away. I remain very impressed with their automotive product, Warranty and their organization and hard-work ethic I see put in to place. Quite impressive.

You won't have to worry about unfair or abusive treatment problems in Japan. You can have a worry free driving experience as that concern isn't one. ;)

I hope we continue to get updates on the Georgetown plant going UAW. :)

Rocky
    He also said that Detroit and Michigan could be a hub to develop environmentally friendly fuels to power the automobiles of the future.

"I don't want to see the fuel efficient cars in the world built someplace else," he said. "They ought to be built right here in Detroit and the United States of America by UAW workers."

Edwards said he would oppose trade agreements that would harm U.S. workers and said he opposes the pending trade agreement between the U.S. and South Korea.

He said he supports laws making it easier for unions to organize because "it's absolutely crucial to maintain and strengthen and grow the middle class in this country that we strengthen the right to organize. That we strengthen the power of unions to have a level playing field in the negotiating process. I think this is important for America's economic security."

He said as president he would use his bully pulpit "to explain to America what the union movement has meant in the history of this country."

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070422/NATION/704220324&- - - theme=Nation-Iraq

Rocky
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Any UAW thread has to fall into politics. The UAW has no long term viability without political support.

Let's just kill this thread before it descends into a paid political announcement.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Me too, I resisted the temptation.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    ...the article has some real howlers, but I guess that Mr. Edwards had to play to his audience. On the other hand, if he really believes what he said...

The article contains this snippet: He said as president he would push his plan for universal health care for Americans, paying for some of the cost by ending Bush's tax breaks for individuals making more than $200,000 annually.

Let's see...where do most of the people who make more than $200,000 annually live?

New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston...in other words, the bluest parts of Blue America.

In those areas, given the already high levels of state and local taxation, and sky-high housing costs, a $200,000 annual income for a family of four isn't necessarily the ticket to Easy Street. Price a decent house in the Los Angeles metropolitan area some time.

Yet Mr. Edwards apparently wants to raise their taxes, even though, in the wake of the 2004 election, Blue State residents were complaining that they already pay a disproportionate share of federal expenditures. (Maybe the real problem is that people don't rationally think about the impact of federal policy, or they are dumb enough to believe that the government will tax only Republicans making six-figure annual salaries.)

The article directly quotes him here: "I don't want to see the fuel efficient cars in the world built someplace else," he said. "They ought to be built right here in Detroit and the United States of America by UAW workers."

I'm sure his first act as president will be to repeal those federal laws that prevent GM and Ford from building high-quality, fuel-efficient cars here in America.

Wait, there are no laws that prevent them from doing this right now. Never mind...
    OK, maybe he will mandate that all Toyota, Honda & Nissan workers in the USA become UAW members. I believe that Mr. Clinton ran on a similar platform of health care for all. Put Mrs. Clinton in charge while he had a Democratic Congress. What happened is health care went up and less people are covered. Mr. Edwards is a prime example of why health care is so expensive. He got rich on malpractice suits.

Rocky, Edward's would go where ever and tell who ever will listen just what they are wanting to hear. Then go back to his mansion and laugh at the folks he has fooled. The pickin's are mighty slim for 2008. I will probably only go vote to try and keep one of them from winning.
    Edwards, is a union mans president. He's more for the working people than any other candidate running. (My opinion) He has plans to help strengthen the Unions in this country and make crossing a picket line illegal. I believe he will not do anything to ruin UAW jobs like some of the others running. His investment plan in alternative energy is to give the automakers more than a billion dollars. This doesn't include the billions more he will invest in other area's to get these alternative energy plans going. Right now it's lip service by other candidates with no hard figures. Where's the money and plan for implementation for the others ? Edwards, said his alternative energy plan will create 1 million new alternative energy jobs. I really didn't want this to be a politcal discussion but was only reporting on what Edwards said about the UAW. It is worth posting stuff related to the subject title isn't it ? If Fred Thompson, McCain, etc, would of said something about the UAW, or job creations in the automobile industry I would post it. I am not that biased. The fact remains not many of the candidates running are talking about domestic issues but Edwards, has ever since he's declared he was running. It always about the war in Iraq, and I for one am tired of listening about that subject. If you don't like this forum you have the right to not leave any comments or skip over the posts. I want to keep this forum focused on the UAW and Automobile industry and thus is the reason why I highlighted the automobile related stuff from Edwards speech. I'm optomistic enough that we can be mature enough to keep this one civil. ;)

Now more on topic:

So do any of you think the UAW, will get the Georgetown Kentucky plant unionized ? If so how much longer do you think it will take ? Do you think other transplants will unionize in the near or distant future ?

Thanks,

Rocky
    Every presidential candidate will go to Detroit and promise the moon to the auto workers and especially the UAW. Congress is the ones that decides whether to spend the money. I am a 37 year retired Teamster and 8 years in the CWA before that. I am all for the Unions. I have tried to get my son to take a Union job in Alaska. I just do not believe anything that comes out of the mouth of that candidate. I know how he got rich and believe that IS a major problem in this country. Much of the reason that so many companies go over seas. Edwards cannot have it both ways.

PS
    I would love nothing better than to see the UAW organize the Toyota plants all across our great land.
    Every presidential candidate will go to Detroit and promise the moon to the auto workers and especially the UAW.

gagrice, I respect your opinion pal. I always have. I love Edwards, as I do think he is the only candidate running who will follow through on his promise to the UAW workers and auto-industry. It's probably a moot point as Hillary and Obama, got the far left in their corner so Edwards, will only be a memory of mine come election time unless for some miracle he can pull it off. :sick:

Congress is the ones that decides whether to spend the money. I am a 37 year retired Teamster and 8 years in the CWA before that. I am all for the Unions. I have tried to get my son to take a Union job in Alaska.

This is just one reason why I respect your point of view as you can look at it from my side of the fence. ;) I can understand why your son doesn't want the job based on the descriptions you told me. I wouldn't want my employer having the power telling me I can't have a beer when I'm off the clock. ;)

I just do not believe anything that comes out of the mouth of that candidate.

Well I feel most of us don't but in this case his actions speak more than words. His 4 year voting record in the Senate, is something else I have to go on also. ;)

I know how he got rich and believe that IS a major problem in this country. Much of the reason that so many companies go over seas.

Well, I don't hate or dislike him for how he got rich. He was doing his job, and if I would of been one of those family's that had their son or daughter hurt or killed via malpractice, I'd want to get something in return as I'd be a basket case and probably would never be able to work again. It's not the patients fault the doctor cut off the wrong leg. This is why we pay these people so much damn money to prevent any accident from happening.

Edwards cannot have it both ways.

I don't know what you mean ? I don't see how he is having it both ways ? The guy has always stood up for average folks rights. The UAW, right now is backing him. He has many union supporters around the country. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a guy like Lutz, who is know to shoot off his mouth and makes a move and publicly support him as well ? Sure Edwards, lives in a mansion but at least he isn't so conceded that he doesn't know where he came from. He is a son of a mill worker, and his hard work paid off as he was able to obtain a law degree. He was good at what he did as a trial lawyer and made some money a long the way. Should he of not did his job as well as he could ? :confuse:

PS
    I would love nothing better than to see the UAW organize the Toyota plants all across our great land.

Glad we agree.... ;)

How long do you thing it will take gagrice, for the UAW, to organize Toyota ? Do you see Honda, being the next target ? I think they need to go hit the Alabama, plant as those people are by far making the least amount of money. :surprise:

Rocky
    I have been involved in several attempts to organize non union companies in Alaska. The companies spare no expense to try and convince the employees they are better off without a union. It is very difficult to get a large number of employees to vote in a union. Where Toyota has built their plants is a factor. When you are in a Right to work state you limit the effectiveness of a Union. From where I sit I see the standard of living for the working man declining in this country. When this war is over the level of spending on military will be cut drastically by Congress and the economy will go into recession. Whoever is President at the time will be blamed. This housing boom has peaked and is on a down hill slide. In the 1990s it was the Dot.com bubble that burst and left people without good jobs. The UAW will have an opportunity when that happens as Toyota and the others will have to lay off people and will do it as they see fit. This will drive the rank and file to organize for protection. If the UAW wins any elections it will be an uphill battle getting a decent contract. It is tough to negotiate when the economy is in the toilet. Save your money the next 10 years is going to be tough.
    Tough times force Big Three, union to scale back tuition, other programs

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070424/AUTO01/704240380&- theme=Autos-UAW

Rocky

P.S. Gagrice, I couldn't agree with you more and yes I'll be saving as I feel the sky will fall. :sick:
    gagrice - I think that you have a fair assessment of the future there, and I agree with almost all your points on the economy. You're also correct that manufacturers dread unionization.

However, the Japanese have one lever against the UAW that the big 3 didn't have when they were facing unionization -

Toyota can take it's ball and go home. They're already rumbling about moving some manufacturing back to Japan, but I think that the truth there is that Japan is also too expensive for them nowadays. I see China on the horizon for Toyota (as a threat if nothing else) if unionization pressure gets too strong here. America has passed the point where they will stop buying cars because Toyota moves production to avoid unionization. The people who care about that aren't buying Toyota's now, so there wouldn't be much impact IMHO.
    I agree with you that most of the growth in auto making will be in China. A wide open territory with less controls than either Japan or the USA. India is another emerging industrial power. I think once people give in to the fact that they want a foreign product in this case automobiles. They are not that concerned with where they are built. If anything they prefer them to be built in the country of origin. VW, BMW and MB are classic examples. Most want the German built car vs US or Mexico. I see debate on the Camry board on which is preferable a Japan or KY built Camry.

100% made in the USA is probably non existent. Parts are out sourced to subs that can go where ever and have the part built. I think it will contribute more and more to reliability issues. It only takes a small electronic sensor to shut you down on the highway. If it comes from a poor source the whole model will have failures. We may long for the day of UNION MADE.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I agree with some of your assessment, not sure of the doom and gloom of the future. One thing that amazes me is how resilient we Americans are. Yes I think the standard of living of the working man is declining but you also have to adapt to the changing times which means 40 and 50 year olds may need to go back to school. Not sure I agree on the real estate bubble. Houses in my development (60 year old development) are selling within one week at full asking price. New houses are a different story but do we really need so many new developments when perfectly good existing house are all over the place.

Yes the dot.com and technology stocks burst in 2000 but 7 years later after 9/11, Iraq War, Katrina, Tsunami, a divisive election in 2000, high foreclosure and bankruptcy rates, and record high energy costs, the Dow still reached record levels last week. Unemployment is at historic lows. I can't explain it but it's happening.

Don't give up on Americans that easy. We are a resilient and resourceful bunch.
    I can probably explain a few things. It will probably take a bit for the housing bubble to burst in your area. Homes that sold for record prices a year ago are now getting price cuts. They are sitting for up to 6 months and more not sold. Foreclosure lists are tremendously long here in So CA. I am looking at a home to buy that sold in 2004 at $332 a foot. I am thinking of offering $275 and afraid I am going too high. Watching the MLS people are cutting the price by $100k after 2 weeks on the market. And still not selling.

The stock market, what can I say. My 401k is going great and I have no idea why. I guess I will let it go until I have to dip in when I am 70. Oil and military related stocks may be carrying the load.

Unemployment is an interesting situation both here and in the EU. We are not making children fast enough to fill the jobs. I get called every couple weeks to come out of retirement. I just laugh at them. There is a shortage of skilled craft people. Some over qualified people may not be working. They need to learn how to repair plumbing, electrical or AC. Not all service jobs are at McDonald's. Some pay very well. I have a tough time finding people that want to work. Everyone thinks they are a web site designer.
    I had an interesting discussion over drinks with a few friends where we tried to determine what jobs can't be outsourced,off-shored, or done by robots.

It came down to the skilled trades. You can't off-shore a plumber, or an electrician, or a technician who installs or repairs equipment.

So automotive building may go off-shore, but not automotive repair.
    dtownfb: Your profile says that you live in York, Pa. I live in Harrisburg. The housing market in your area is being held up by people moving out of the Baltimore area into Pennsylvania.

Here in Harrisburg the market is cooling for homes over $200,000. Homes between $150,000-200,000 are still selling well, but it's only a matter of time before there is downward pressure on homes in that price range, too.

Also remember that Gagrice lives in Southern California, which was on the leading edge of the housing bubble, and is now on the leading edge as it deflates.

Southern California doesn't just lead in automotive trends.
    I am surprised that you have homes for $200k. I just looked at a foreclosure on a 1 bdrm 1 bath condo. It is 606 sq ft and the guy owes $231k to the lender. For someone that bought an $800k home the beginning of last year and was hoping to sell before his interest rate went up the bubble has burst. That same home will sit for months at $650k today. I have seen this happen before in Alaska and Hawaii. Never to this extent in California. The Lenders that do not go bankrupt will be in the minority.

College is good. I would also give equal weight to trade schools. Auto mechanics that are good at analyzing problems in todays cars will be in short supply. I would recommend the electricians Union and the plumbers and pipefitters Union. Both very good pay and benefits.
    That's one reason it's nice to live here. Decent housing is affordable. We just don't have the beach nearby, or warm weather in January and February.
    I read all of these housing reports and they always point to CA, NJ, NY, etc. I live in south central PA. Our market is dictated by folks who are looking for affordable housing from Maryland. They are willing to travel 45 minutes to be able to afford a decent house and low crime. Once they decide to continue the light rail from Hunt Valley to Harrisburg, I don't see an end in the near future. heck it's been going on around here for over a decade.

Totally agree with you regarding lack of skilled craft people. We are pushing too many students to college who really don't know what they want to do and we expect them to find out while sitting in a classroom with a bunch of other 18 & 19 year olds (yes I work at a college). You can make a nice career for yourself as a carpenter, mechanic, plumber, etc. For some reason folks look down at these jobs...until they need one.
    You know the area well. I work in Towson (not for too much longer). there are people who want affordable housing in a safe neighborhood. You can't find $200k homes in Baltimore city or county. Whereas in York, you can move down the street from me, live in a 50-60 year old 3 bedroom, 2 bath house for a hair over $200k. And it is the best rated public school district in the county and only trails Derry Twp. and Camp Hill for the area. if you want one with a few problems you can find tons for $100-150k. This trend has been going on here since the mid 90's.

The homes in the $150-$200 will always be popular as those are the entry level houses for young couples, single folks and people looking to get out of the city, first time home buyers, etc. Always will be a market for these buyers.

Of course Southern Cal is a slightly bigger market. But my point is there is a legitimate reason for the housing demand in my area. And just because it happens in CA, NY and NJ, does not make it so everywhere else. I never understood why housing prices in CA were so high. Of course, I don't understand a lot of things about CA.
    I agree with you. There is no good reason for the average home in San Diego to cost $624,000. The saddest part is so many people get sucked into unscrupulous loans. Loans they have no way of paying. Economics are no longer heeded with income to loan ratios. I have friends and relatives that are in negative ARM loans that they take from the equity each month. That cannot go on for long. It is easy to walk away when you have no equity.

Hopefully the influx into your area will not bring with it the crime and problems.
    lenders, brokers and agents who are not being upfront with people buying houses with these ARM loans that explode on them.

I remember Talk-Net radio host Bruce Williams always saying to his listeners "never buy a house without a competent real-estate lawyer representing you!"

Even without a lawyer people need to read the fine print of their loan terms. Make 'em wait for you to read your loan papers at closing, if must come down to that-ask many questions-it's your money involved here!

That is good advice and it goes for all loans. I got sucked into one of those GM auto loans about 20 years ago that you paid all the interest up front. So when you went to sell the car you did not have the equity you thought you did. When I discovered that dirty little secret I just kept it until it was paid off. I have never borrowed on a vehicle since, unless I had the cash to pay it off.

PS
    If you have to borrow use your Credit UNION!!!
    You are very correct lokki. ;) Good discussions guys but let's try to keep it a bit more automotive related please. :)

Thanks,

Rocky
    I think the big question is will Unions survive much longer? I think it can go either way. If they trim down and get a real strong work ethic for their members they have a chance. Many Unions get the reputation of being feather bedders. The Union needs to police its rank and file members. Use the e-board to discipline members that are not carrying their weight. Make themselves an asset to the company not a burden. It is a two way street.

I am not sure the UAW is doing all they can to weed out poor workers. One poor worker can infect the whole crew.
    I think unions will survive because of the way company's are treating employees today. I think their will be a change in laws like the "right to work" ones which will help. The bottom line is if the UAW, is able to organize Toyota, and other automobile manufactors doing business here in the U.S. that might encourage others to follow suit.

I think as things get tougher for the middle class, I think the more labor unions will be formed. I do think Toyota, is a important step for labor unions like the UAW. :)

Rocky
    I agree with you on the credit union thing. Excellent advice-my wife and I use my Boeing Employee's Credit Union and in fact are utilizing a Home Equity Loan from them right now with a great fixed rate that I couldn't get very easily through big behemoth bank.

We bought a house for a great price(that helped make the '08 Lancer GTS purchase a reality!)but the house is as old as I am and was a rental house for a while. Everything needed done can be done and we're on it but BECU is enabling us to get more for our money and give us an updated older home.

There's no games and no hidden charges, etc. Just a sound way to borrow-credit unions...the best rates to be had anywhere.

I was a union member at Boeing but didn't always agree with the members on strike issues. Nonetheless, I can't really be overly critical of the Seattle Professional Engineering Employees' Association and the clout that went along with it. It was a great job with a solid company, only Boeing is quick to pull the layoff trigger and overlooks the personal side of the business. Yes, I know it's a business but people are a strong commodity and Boeing management can be so stone cold it's ridiculous. I left Boeing in 2003 with a strong determination inside to never, ever get sucked in to going back there. I find the personal involvement of the Allied Health professions to be much more satisfying. And that is one of the reasons I re-trained in health care.

It can have some strong frustrations yet it pays well and the work is steady and you do help people get better from injuries and serious health problems...and you are right there at the head of the bed for life emergencies..we are all about breathing in Respiratory Therapy. I must say, though, the job is not a job for everyone.

As for the UAW, I think that they could become strong again, especially with a GM that is better-fortified to fight the imports. I still remain skeptical of the domestic's overall chances at long-term success, not because I want them to fail, but because they have such a long fight ahead against the Korean and Japanese makes. The German's are not a strong enough big car number's threat, the China's and South Korea's and Japan may very well spell the end of Ford, GM and DCX, and the UAW will only be able to sniff, spit and growl into the fierce Midwest winds in dismay when the curtain falls down on them.

GM is diversifying enough in Asia and their pickup of Daewoo in 2002 was simply a brilliant move, quite possibly their smartest move in the 2000's. So they will no doubt remain with a stronger emphasis on the offshore building and selling. The UAW's demands are not much but a big annoyance, nothing that will totally cause the domestics to fall, although Ford may be a sad exception there. Their demands can come at some of the worst times and we have seen some of that in these 2000's, eh?

iluv,

I like I said respect your career choice pal. I'm sure you get good satisfaction from helping others and I applaud you for picking a career like the one your in. :)

The UAW and big 3 will not fall. If you check out my last post in the "Article Comments Kiss the American Auto Industry Good-Bye (as We Know It)" forum, you will see a bill that should pass and become law to help the big 3 survive on a more level playing field. This is the way it should be anyways but our government has ignored some very important domestic issues for to long. :(

The UAW, will severely loosen their work rules to save jobs. I however predict they will ask in return for more investments=more jobs if they sign off on this. If Stabenow, get's her bill passed you will see a rush to the U.S. border to cross back into the United States. I do think placing tariffs on the country's that under-value their currency and tariffing foreign made products will create jobs back here at home. Toyota, will continue it's investment here in America, and the UAW, will push to organize them I also predict the UAW, will target honda, as well and if they are able to conquer Toyota, Honda, will be more willing to take in the UAW. So just maybe in my opinion we can save america's back bone the working middle class like you, I, and many others who roam these forums. :)

Just my $0.02

Rocky
    You identified part of the problem. People have bitten off more then they could chew, lenders have relaxed the requirements too much and these crazy loans. i almost fell out of my chair when I heard about interest only loans several years ago.

gagrice, you are welcome to move to my neighborhood. Of course you will have a hard time finding a good avocado dip.
    You are very correct lokki. Good discussions guys but let's try to keep it a bit more automotive related please.

Ouch !
    That left a mark!

Touche' Rockylee! You score! ;)
    That was directed at myself also. ;)

Rocky
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Once again, U.S. trade officials have gone to the negotiating table and reached a terrific deal -- for the other side.

The proposed U.S. Korea Free Trade Agreement (FTA) was reached in the middle of the night in South Korea on April 2 as President Bush's negotiators rushed to meet a deadline for notifying Congress about the deal.

Days later, we still don't know all the details -- but what we know doesn't look good.

The U.S.-Korea FTA fails the most elementary test of any reasonable trade deal: It's not reciprocal.

The United States currently has a $14 billion trade deficit with South Korea, of which $11.6 billion is accounted for by a deficit in auto trade. Yet, this agreement does nothing to fix this imbalance.

The United States has promised to eliminate or phase out tariffs on cars and pick-up trucks -- but Korea won't take meaningful, enforceable action to eliminate the non-tariff trade barriers which have shut U.S. vehicles out of their market for years.

A day after the pact was announced, Hyundai announced a plan to import more pick up trucks to the U.S. Ford and Chrysler, meanwhile, have both stated their opposition because they won't get a fair chance to sell their products in Korea.

The U.S.-Korea FTA will put thousands of good-paying U.S. manufacturing jobs at risk. Just as disturbing, the treaty states that the United States will in the future "consider" including goods manufactured in the North Korean industrial zone of Kaesong.

This would mean importing goods made by workers who labor as indentured servants for one of the world's most repressive regimes. Others are also opposed to this deeply flawed trade pact, including Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., and the National Cattelman's Beef Association, which is not satisfied with the limited access granted to South Korean markets.

The U.S.-Korea FTA does not include core labor rights as an enforceable part of the agreement. Our colleagues in the Korean Metalworkers union are routinely harassed and jailed, and the United States should not grant increased access to our markets to a country that does not respect universally recognized labor rights.

Workers and citizens in the United States and South Korea deserve better. This agreement should be fully examined in the light of day -- and rejected, in favor of a more inclusive, democratic approach that builds in real protection for workers, consumers, and the environment.

http://www.uaw.org/atissue/atstory.cfm?atId=182

Rocky
    So what do you guys think about the un free trade agreement with South Korea ? :surprise:

Rocky
    http://www.iue-cwa.org/news/page.jsp?itemID=28464117

I really can't believe it's a one-way street with all these trade agreements. :mad: I can understand why the union's are throwing a huge fit. Where is small business ?

What benefit, to the U.S. does a agreement like this have ? You can buy a Hyundai, cheaper ? A Samsung cheaper ? What benefit does this trade agreement give to the american worker ? Well I guess a Chevy Aveo, just got cheaper once this is passed. :sick:

Rocky
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...but Korea won't take meaningful, enforceable action to eliminate the non-tariff trade barriers which have shut U.S. vehicles out of their market for years."

Just out of curiousity, precisely what ARE these "non-tariff trade barriers" that affect the UAW?
    Those Korean companies should be building their pickup trucks here in Mississippi like Nissan does, or in Texas like Toyota does!
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    The small business that are smart are looking to export their products and services to Korea. As korea's markets open we gain a place to sell our goods and services.

We also gain by being able to import goods and services at a lower price. We can spend our money elsewhere rather than buying expensive cars and electronics. Another plus for the economy.

On a whole it is a plus for the whole economy and may create many good paying jobs.
    On a whole it is a plus for the whole economy and may create many good paying jobs.

I'm yet to see a un free trade agreement like this one create good paying jobs ???? NAFTA is a failure. CAFTA, will be a bigger failure. This one will make your Samsung's and Hykia's a little cheaper even though they also under value their currency. I'm yet to see how and where this will create good paying jobs ?

Like lokki, said if we would put up barrier's like almost every other country does to us we might create good paying jobs as they would be forced to build their products here. ;)

Rocky
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    It creates thoose jobs because now consumners can spend their money on other stuff. Good paying manufactoring jobs might take a hit. But then again the people who saved thousands on the hykias can buy that much more goods and services. You can now afford to dine out more often or perhaps. Creating jobs not just for waiters and resturant staff, but also for the white collar workers.

You could invest it in a fast growing company that will in turn use the money to hire more workers.

Perhaps you will use the money to remodel your house more often. Creating jobs for plumbers, electricains ect.

In addition there are more jobs on earth than manufatoring. And importing manufactored goods isn't always cheaper than prodicing it locally.

Also cheap is not the only way to the consumers heart. Toyota and Honda are not cheap to purchase. GM and Ford are cheaper, yet toyhonda manage to sell more and more cars. Rightly or wrongly people percive that spending their money on a Toyota will be a better use of money than a chevy. Either the Toyota will be more fuel effceint, safer, better package, stylish, or reliable than the Chevy. What ever the reason people are willing to spend on Toyota rather than Chevy and it has nothing to do with the price of the car.

And honeslty I can see why. GM's small cars have a reputation for being bad. So GM fails to lure in young buyers.

GM's large cars are better, but the folks who want to buy a Buick and Cadalaic are not the bread and butter market. Honestly until peopele again think of Chevy as a good value, GM will be a bit player.