Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

United Automobile Workers of America (UAW)

1653654655656657659»

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,465
    marsha7 said:

..How does a Cadillac get de-contented with drum brakes on the rear???...and they expect me to buy it???..

I checked brakes for the ATS: the base model gets 4-wheel disc brakes. Optional engines get Brembo fronts and all disc. Sure you were looking at an ATS?

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,624
    edited September 24
    I wish my Grand Caravan had "normal" rear drums. Just had to replace the right rear hardware kit that apparently fell off. Drums rarely need attention in my experience.

(Did you miss my holler or are you just gonna be smart and ignore me? :D )

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,189
    I'm pretty sure you saw that wrong :)
    marsha7 said:

Speaking of Cadillac, I walked past an ATS the other day, and I looked at the brakes thru the alloy wheel (I always like to see if they have Brembo brakes)...I was SHOCKED to see rear DRUM brakes on the car..

Maybe it was a one-off performance mod by someone like me. :D

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    I looked at the back of the car, and the letters said ATS...and no beer or Scotch that day...:):)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,094
    While the UAW tries to get into the TN VW plant through the back door, those opposed are not sitting by quietly. They are asking those that sign some good questions.

Questions to Ask any Local 42 Member

1. Have you read your charter and understand that you have NO real rights as a Local? Are you restricted to do only what the national lets you?

2. Do you want to be laid off if we have to have a layoff, or would you rather have temps be laid off?

3. Is it true that Detroit determines where Local 42 dues go for political purposes?

4. What protections can Local 42 offer? Job security? Has that worked for Detroit?

5. Like Detroit, will Local 42 experience multiple Unfair Labor Practice Charges because of favoritism?

6. Who will hold Local 42 leadership accountable for their decisions?

7. How will overtime be distributed among employees?

8. How will Local 42 help VW Chattanooga reduce costs?

9. How will Local 42 help VW Chattanooga improve quality?

10. How will Local 42 help VW Chattanooga improve efficiency?

11. How will non union employees be fairly represented on the works council?

12. How will Local 42 ensure privacy of employees when represented by their union at a performance or disciplinary meeting in HR?

13. Will Local 42 vote on what responsibilities can be delegated to the works council, and will non union people be a part of that vote?

14. Does Local 42 plan to allow non union members to have a vote in works council related issues, events, plan and activities?

15. If yes, how does local 42 plan to integrate their vision of works council with the vision of employees not represented by the union, or not members of the union?

16. Since the UAW has stated that they do not intend to unionize the salaried workforce, how will they legally ensure the voice of the salary workers are heard in the works council?

17. Do you understand that if the UAW takes you out on a sympathy/support strike, you will not get “strike benefits” unless you walk the picket line? Can you afford to live on $200 a week, for as long as Ford, GM or Chrysler might go out on strike next year?

18. Since Local 42 has a no-strike clause, why will part of your dues go to a strike fund?

19. Is it true that showing interest in another union disqualifies you from a leadership position in Local 42?

http://www.no2uaw.com/
    edited October 3
    Will the 2017 Jeep Wrangler be built in China? Someone working UAW in that factory says Union dropping their tentative fight over two tier until 2019.

"Today I cannot describe the shock and disappointment we had when we heard that in Paris that he made a comment that the next generation of Wrangler coming out in 2018 may not be built in Toledo,” Mr. Baumhower said. “He didn’t say it wouldn’t be, but he said there’s a chance that they may have to build it somewhere else because they’re going to go to an aluminum body.

“I don't care if they make it out of aluminium, if they make it out of steel. Whatever they want to make it out of, it’s got to be made in Toledo, Ohio,” he said. “We’ve earned that. We’re going to demand that. We expect nothing less than that."

http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2014/10/02/UAW-Local-12-president-reacts-to-comments-by-Chrysler-CEO.html
    With younger, lesser-paid workers representing a bigger chunk of UAW membership than in 2011, the union will need to have their support to ratify contracts. That's why the UAW will need to win benefits for both new and older workers.

And because of "right-to-work" laws, Michigan workers will be able to opt out of the union if they don't like it. "We haven't been in this situation," Dziczek said. "We don't know how it will play out."

It's going to be a balancing act, Dziczek said. "I don't think they can get rid of second tier, but I think they can get darn closer." She said the UAW might be able to win a phase-out of the two-tier contract in the next negotiations in 2019.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2014/10/02/uaw-readies-big-three-contract-showdowns/16569363/
    edited October 23
    "(Reuters) - The United Auto Workers hopes to be recognized as the exclusive bargaining agent for workers at a Volkswagen AG assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee within a year, the union's President Dennis Williams said on Wednesday.

UAW Local 42 in Chattanooga earlier this month elected officers and it will be those officers who will liaise with VW plant officials about recognition, Williams said."

UAW eyes bargaining rights at VW Tennessee plant within a year

stever said:

"(Reuters) - The United Auto Workers hopes to be recognized as the exclusive bargaining agent for workers at a Volkswagen AG assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee within a year, the union's President Dennis Williams said on Wednesday.

UAW Local 42 in Chattanooga earlier this month elected officers and it will be those officers who will liaise with VW plant officials about recognition, Williams said."

UAW eyes bargaining rights at VW Tennessee plant within a year

I don't think the people of TN are that stupid. When they see the goofy two tier system still in place in 2015. What would it gain the VW workers. They already have a 401K which is all the UAW will have for all new workers since the bankruptcy. All the UAW is looking for is more dues to waste.
    edited November 9
    The anti UAW workers at VW TN are starting to push back... They have some good arguments. And some agreements the UAW made with VW to get their cooperation.

http://www.no2uaw.com/

11 Reasons Why We Demand a Secret Ballot Vote
    1. We were told Volkswagen wanted us to sign a card. (I heard this personally at a UAW meeting)
    2. IGMetall Told us to sign a card. Link
    3. We were told by the UAW that they were just gauging interest and it wasn’t an official campaign. Link
    4. Some were cornered and TOLD to sign the cards. Proof of this exists.
    5. Some cards were signed for people.
    6. Many signed because they were constantly pressured by other employees and Team Leaders.
    After almost two years who wouldn’t give in?
    7. We were told it was for the works council and not the UAW.
    8. We were told “No UAW, No Works Council. Link
    Then we were told we didn’t need the UAW for a works council. Link
    9. We were told “No works Council, No VW expansion”. Link
    10. Aerotek workers were promised employment if they signed a card.
    Once they were hired by Volkswagen their cards counted.
    11. The UAW has promised more money and better benefits. This is very illegal, but very persuasive.