Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 GPS and Navigation

Comments

• Try pushing in the left button by the tach as it sounds like you have it enabled in the bright mode?
  • skr2skr2 Posts: 32
    I would appreciate if anybody can tell me how to get the contact information for the regional VP for Mazda operations.
    Any help would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Look at what this guy did to his Vette,
    http://www.southerncarparts.com/corvette-c6-nav-system-mod-ex-24.html

There is also a speed wire behind the CX9's Denso display.
    If we can install a switch like he did, this would make it the grey-out issue a history.
    First, we would need to find out which wire is the speed sensor input behind the unit.
    Installing the switch and locate it where you can easily reach should not be a problem.

P.S. coastaletech.com sells lockpick kits for Toyota/Lexus/GM/and soon Ford. However, none is available for Mazda CX9, though CX9 is using the same Denso system as Lexus and Toyota do.
  • kikatkikat Posts: 4
    I couldn't agree more... Voice recognition is terrible, but the lockout feature is the worst. If I have a passenger in the car, there is no reason for the lockout!
    This is so bad that it definitely reflects on Mazda. As long as there is no free update from Mazda sometime soon, I can and will not recommend the CX-9 to anyone.
  • vikefan7vikefan7 Posts: 8
    So you're not going to recommend a great car to someone simply because the NAV locks out while you're driving? How about you just give your very important recommendation that the NAV is a pile of sh*t and if they can just pull over or enter their destination before they leave it would solve the problem. Or, you could just tell them not to get the NAV....
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Mazda CX-9 and decided to drive versus fly when vacationing. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, April 10, 2009.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dragonvndragonvn Posts: 2
    Dear all.
    I live in Viet Nam. I had a CX 9 a year ago but NAV can not work. What can i do now? does any one know where to buy a DVD that can work in VN?
    Thanks.
  • jake64jake64 Posts: 2
    Does this system have the capability of storing the station in memory by name??? I can only get it to store station by number - so frustrating! I can also only get it to load one CD and it supposed to load 6.....
    It wont read the name of a CD nor the song names....what am I missing here?

:mad: :confuse:
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    Storing stations by name....No
    It only stores by number.
    I have the DVD/NAV system with the 6 CD changer. You need to press the LOAD/Eject button you'll be presented with the ICONs for all 6 CDs and the display screen will tilt out to show the cd loading location. Press the CD location you want to load and the system will tell you when to load the CD (or eject).

The sound system will only display MP3 label tags of CDs burnt accordingly. It will not display names of traditionally burnt music CDs.
    >> It will not display names of traditionally burnt music CDs.
    I think it is the burner (software). Some high-end burner supports CD-text,
    most don't.
    Even most original CDs (especially older ones) don't contain CD-text.
    Get a good burner software and add the text (title, album, artist, etc.) yourself.
  • okeyobiozookeyobiozo Posts: 8
    Does anyone know what maps are used in the 2008 CX 9 Nav System and how and where to get a renewal?
    An "E" version can be found here.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-navigation-disk.html
    However, E may not be the newest. I have heard about the "F" version.
    Note that the version number for 2009 is different. 2009 has a different NAVI system. A DVD disk also carries some software updates. A DVD disk of 2007-2008 won't work on 2009 and vice versa.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    I've been waiting for a DVD update for my 09 CX-9 for six months now (it still has an 07 version DVD in it) and the dealer finally told me to file a complaint with Mazda Customer Service.

I called them and the agent apologized up and down and swore that it's a supplier issue and that Mazda is well aware of the problem. He also said he'd put me on the "complaint" list and that people on the list will receive all new information as soon as it's available!

I'd encourage as many of you as possible to call Mazda to complain (800-222-5500) since it's not right to have an out-dated map when you have paid for the option in good faith!
    I hope you get your new map DVD.
    However, assuming that your 09 CX9 was made at the end of 2008, it is not unusual to have 1-year old DVD on NAVI system. I have NAVI on 3 vehicles I have owned, it has been that way for all three. (1 Honda, 1 Toyota, 1 Mazda)

I am impressed by Mazda corporate service. The fact that they actually "apologize" to you.... :D
  • lpchlpch Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2009 CX9 today. I am happy with the car overall, but the navigation system is pretty bad. I picked up the car from a dealer about 60 miles away. On the way back decided to try the navigation system, The Quick route was 246 miles! telling me to go through all the side streets before getting on a freeway far away, rather than taking the most direct route. I checked the settings and everything seems fine. There seem to be quite a number of negative comments about the nav system, dated back to like 2 years ago. Does anyone know if there is a fix or one in the works? Thanks!
  • badselfbadself Posts: 39
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mazda North America. The car's pretty solid, the nav is pure junk (resolution, interface, maps, and directions).

I'm at 14 months and 11,500 miles with several material warranty issues, and local service managers/service departments refusing to work honestly with me (either saying they can't replicate the issues, or saying I'm over the 12month/12,000 mile portion of the warranty, so sorry). I've set up a case and am awaiting regional response from Mazda corporate, and I've talked to a lawyer to see whether arbitration, buyback under lemon law, or tort action is a viable alternative. Not a great place to be. On the other hand, Honda has stepped up and fixed the warranty issues on my '09 Fit (less than half the cost of CX-9) in a fair manner.

Mazda may still rectify as I step up my recourses, but they've lost my future business due to the shoddy service network and dishonest warranty administration. Sad part is, the CX-9 itself is a pretty nice vehicle with decent fit/finish overall.

Hope you enjoy the vehicle, and have little to no need for your warranty. Good luck.
    "Fix"? What do you mean?
    The map on a 2009 is old (2006 version). The newer "B" version is delayed for whatever reason. Ask your dealer about it.
    Or, you might want to tune the cost function of routing.
    I found that turning ON Prefer Toll Road seems to give more reasonable routes.
    Try it. Also, you might want to set "speed" for highway, local, expressway etc.
    They all combined into a routing cost function to compute your routes.

The only problem I ever experienced was the NAVI wanted me to change 3 highways so that it could save 1 mile (out of 300miles) for me.
    THANKS A LOT!
    :)

P.S. my CX9 only had 1 small window issue after 19K miles. Still solid like day 1.
  • I do have the revision E, GP9A 66 DZ0 E, if you need a copy shoot me an email,
    jcarroll22@sc.rr.com
  • nterminintermini Posts: 7
    Is this the latest version? What year are the maps?
    Hold on.
    The "E" version of GP9A is for 2007 to 2008, not for 2009.
    I would advise you not to try it. The 2009 NAVI system is different from 2007-08 version. The disc is not compatible. AFAIK. Check with your dealer to see if I am correct.

Source of my reasoning....
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-navigation-disk.html
    See that in the pulldown menu, there is no 2009 CX9.
  • badavabadava Posts: 5
    The navigation seems to be suffering from either poor algo or bad data on the disc. Mine has a newer disc. [purchased the CX9 GTAWD four weeks ago in SF Bay Area.]

I was in the stoneridge mall, right at the junction of I580 & I680. We were heading to twin-peaks in south san francisco. I did a POI lookup and selected guidance. It kept asking me to take I680 south to somewhere down south of san jose and then back to south SF for a total of ~200miles. I kept driving on I580 towards Baybridge and expected it to recalculate the route and show me the shorter distance, which was ~35 miles from where I started. But it never did. Even when I was close to Bay bride it kept asking me to exit and go back on I580 and drive >200 mi!
    it is another thing that the POI did not show me twin peaks when searching under south san francisco.
    But, as of now, i'm still happy with the vehicle overall.
    Check your toll road setting.
    It probably doesn't want you to take the Bay Bridge.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    Would you please list the disc version that came with your CX? Thanks.
  • lpchlpch Posts: 4
    I purchased the 2009 CX-9 last weekend and the disc is a 2007 version.
    2007 is the map (from MapQuest) version.
    The last English letter in the part number is the disc version.
    Yours is mostly like an "A".

e.g. For 2007-8, here is an "E" version
    part #: GP9A-66-DZ0E <--- "E"
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    Hi Ceric,

Both my Rev D and Rev E say "2007 V.1" in the Version file on the actual disc.

My wife's 2-day old 2009 CX-7 appears to have the exact same POS maps. The version info said the same via the touchscreen interface. I'll be pulling the disc in the next few days to see what the label says, however it appears to be the same as the Rev D and Rev E since a local interchange that was red-done over 2 years ago is still not correct on her disc.
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    I just found out that Mazda is selling the DVD maps online for $199.

The website is www.mazdanavigation.com
    That website has been under construction for a while now. Glad that it is back on line.

As expected, for 2007-2008, the new version is "F" with 2008.1 map.
    For 2009-2010, the new version is "B", also with 2008.1 map.
    If you buy a 2009 CX9 today, you may still get the "A" version. Talk to your dealer about this before signing on the dotted line. :)
  • Does anyone know how to bypass the Safety Warning Screen on the 2009 Mazda CX9 Navigation Screen??? You know the screen the comes up just after you start the vehilce where you have to press the "AGREE" button before the mapping will show up. I want to bypass that screen so the map shows up instead of that stupid warning screen...is it possible to do?
    There is no known way to bypass the warning page and 5mph input lockout that are typical for all Denso NAVI system (used by Mazda, Toyota and Lexus, maybe others) thru software settings. You would need a hardware "hacking".

coastaletech.com sells a kit to by pass those, but he has not worked on Mazda yet. Note that the customer service of that site is not 1st rated. It is a family business. Your email may never be answered. Just a heads-up. :(

To bypass the 5mph input lockout, you may
    - cut the SS (speed sensor) input to the NAVI (purple wire in the back of display) and install a two-way switch so that you can cut it whenever you
    want to input data. However, doing so will shock the NAVI for a while until it gets back on its senses.
    - A better hack is to install a pulse-generator with 555 IC (skip this if you don't
    understand). This fools the NAVI into thinking that you are driving slower than
    5mph, therefore no lockout. (search the web, some guy even posted a circuit
    board layout for you for a weekend project if you are up for it.)

P.S. SS input is in the form of a sequence of pulses at certain voltage. The frequency of pulses is proportional to the speed.