Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 GPS and Navigation

Comments

• I did the voice training for the bluetooth, that was the only one I found (i'll look again). But I take it this means that yours works fine?
  • jimevjimev Posts: 5
    What model year is your car? I have a 2007. I gave up on the Voice Activation a long time ago. I love my CX-9 over-all BUT if I go to another vehicle it will be because
    of limitations of the computer interfaces. Navigation as well as Bluetooth. With the
    Bluetooth it is the Voice Activation - 32 entries is way too few for me.
  • 2010. I couldn't agree with you more. I just got mine, and I love it. My original plan was to get the Ford Edge, which is essentially the same vehicle, but Consumer Reports said - and rightfully so - that the CX 9 had a much better fit and finish. With all due respect to Ford the Microsoft Sync system that their vehicles are equipped with is awesome. That said, I love my CX-9, but the navigation is gonna make me nuts.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    edited April 2010
    "...was to get the Ford Edge, which is essentially the same vehicle..."

Care to elaborate?
    I know many things on board a CX9 are sourced from Japan, such as navigation, transmission, SmartKey system, etc. CX9 shares with Edge the chassis and Duratec engine. The former was lengthened, and latter, heavily modified.
    The AWD system is entirely Mazda's.

When you said "essentially the same", it was a very strong statement.
    :surprise:
  • I'm not entirely sure what got you so upset, but since you asked...... the CX-9 and the Edge were designed by Ford Motor Co. engineers when ford owned significant enough a share of Mazda, that they called it their own and you could access the Mazda USA website through Fordvehicles.com. While it's true the CX-9 is built in Hiroshima and the Edge is built in Ontario they share a chassis an engine, a body design and other sundry items. Park your CX-9 next to a same model year edge and look at it with an unbiased eye and you will see the similarity is striking. All of that said, I find the Mazda CX-9 to have a much better fit and finish and a generally nicer interior and I love mine- wouldn't trade it.

But to get back to the original topic, is it just my voice activation that stinks or should i take it to the dealer and get it looked at?
    No. I wasn't upset at all. You should read my post again.
    I was just not in agreement with your view on the "essentially the same" statement.
  • kikatkikat Posts: 4
    As far as I know, voice training is possible only for the built-in bluetooth phone system, not for the GPS system. Unfortunately, Mazda decided to make the two systems independent from each other, instead of integrating them into one user interface. This is a known and old shortcoming of an otherwise nice car...
    Just for fun: ask your passengers to say "home" after entering voice recognition mode, and see what the system makes out of it. This is a true source of entertainment, over and over again...
  • If I get right up to the microphone and scream "go home" it gets it about 80% of the time. "Cancel" is usually answered by "displaying gas stations".
  • edavidedavid Posts: 1
    We bought a 2010 CX-9 with the Nav system about 3 weeks ago. After finding it complicated to use and providing idiot guidance, I went online and found similar complaints but I also found postings with suggestions.
    Under Menu/Route Options/Route preferences set everything to "Prefer" and always choose the "Quickest" route when putting in a destination. We did this and now it works fine. Using the Nav system is not intuitive, but like everything, its easy if you know what you are doing. You have to play with it to learn how it works - the manual helps a little. The Nav system voice activation does not seem to work well. One posting said that the Nav system voice activation and the phone/bluetooth system were separate systems. I believe it because the voice activation for the phone works and for the Nav system it doesn't.
    edited May 2010
    "Quickest" usually gets you the route you want, not the shortest, which is probably the default if you let it choose by itself.
    For example, I was led through more than 10 miles of local/city streets before getting on a highway, while another highway entrance was near me within 1/2 mile. Just because that 1/2 was in the wrong direction. Any sense person would have chosen to get on the highway since my trip was more than 120 miles!

Always choose the "Quickest".
    The is the same for any Lexus/Toyota navi system since they are also from Denso.
    :shades:

Voice activation?
    My wife has a Toyota Prius with a similar Denso navi system. Both have "amuzing" voice feature. It only has entertainment value....no practical usage :P
  • mkraus63mkraus63 Posts: 1
    I just bot a new CX-9 this week and I am currently stumbling through the NAV and the Audio set-ups. We were told that the CD player was able to hold six CDs, however, this does not seem to be the case. The NAV manual refers to a single disc player. Is that what one gives up by taking the NAV option?
  • spddare65spddare65 Posts: 7
    I was under the impression, when I got mine, that it was a six CD changer also. I'm not sure why I was under that impresion; I don't know if that's what I was told or if I just presumed it. In any case, I love the car but that voice activated navigation can drive you drink.
    Read the mazdaUsa.com website carefully.
    I am sorry but your impression was wrong.
    On 2009-2010 CX9, the NAVI came/come with 1-cd player.
    However, most people do MP3 now. The Player is capable of reading MP3. One CD with 7-800MB can handle about 200 songs. Sure, if you have 6-CDs player, you could have 1200 songs available to you, but do you really have that many you frequently play?
    I would say that that was the reasoning of Mazda.

The navi system was moved from cargo area to the center stack. There is not enough room to accommodate both 6-CD player and the navi unit. Therefore, one has to go. Therefore, 6-CD player was reduced to a 1-CD player.
  • memasteracmemasterac Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    The voice activation/voice command of the CX-9 is indeed a joke, useless piece of $hit. The general user interface of the OEM navigation is not much better. No one has yet to figured out how to successfully input the destination address while driving (by the passenger, for example) whether by cutting wires or a hybrid disc. Since you can't type the address on the go and the voice command is useless, then you are stuck and your only choice is to stop so your passenger can type the address for you? LMAO! My Lexus GS350, on the other hand, also a Denso, but I can do either a wire cutting or hybrid disc for the address input on the go. The Lexus voice command is also much better than the CX-9 because I actually can talk to the GPS for a destination address.

I always bring my TomTom while go on a long trip to the unfamiliar places... The portable GPS is much easier to use. I am also thinking about to purchase the Caska unit to replace my POS Mazda BOSE navigation head unit.
    "No one has yet to figured out how to successfully input the destination address while driving (by the passenger, for example) whether by cutting wires or a hybrid disc."

You know that because you have searched the entire internet?
    I know enough to do it, but I just haven't found the need to yet. ;)
    Not a problem for me. Pull over.
  • ceric, I searched enough to say at least no one has yet to put up a step-by-step written solution on the web. I read you have couple theories to cut speed wire and pulse-generator but to me they are not really helpful unless its a step-by-step. You mind to share? :)

My lazy [non-permissible content removed] is too heavy to pull over, haha.
  • This Nav system is by far the WORST GPS I have ever used. The maps stink and are not synced to the direction of the car. IE south is down north it up so you are not oriented to the map like all common GPS units. I use my Garmin when I drive my wife's CX 9. IT is so easy and up to date. The Mazda attempt at GPS should have been to sub it someone who knew which end was up. Literally!!
  • You can change the orientation so it works "normally". Can't remember how but it's in this thread somewhere - I had the same problem at one point.
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    Mazda does not make the GPS unit themselves, they do sub-contract it out. Which happens to be the same company that makes them for Toyota/Lexus vehicles. So if you are pissed off about the GPS unit, be pissed at yourself for not playing around with it or done research before purchasing the vehicle. Or be pissed at Denso which makes the GPS unit for Mazda.
  • I had the same problem. First calibrate the unit. Press MENU button, then go to Navigation Setup-->Calibration. Once done, go back to the Main map screen and click on the red compass in the top left corner.