Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Stalling and Dying Problems

14567810»

Comments

• Hi All,

I was trying to help my daughter with her 98 V6 Dakota truck. When started it will not idle on its own, then dies. I restart the truck and keep a higher idle speed (foot on gas pedal) and it runs rough. When put in gear it will die unless the idle is high enough. Once on the road it will die at every stop unless I can keep the idle high. When driving over 40-50 mph there is no problem with the truck. On the road, when the truck dies, sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes I have to wait about 45 minutes before it will start again. To add another twist, sometimes the truck starts and runs fine with no problems at all. No error codes show up as the check engine light has never come on.

My first thought was the fuel filter but it seems the filter and pump are 1 unit located inside the gas tank. I do not want to spend 250.00 for a new fuel pump when I am not sure that is the problem. I am an old timer and have overhauled many engines and transmissions but that was before they turned cars/trucks into computers.

I have read many post here that point to the IAC (Idle Air Control) but I wanted to ask others for any other options.

Thanks for any help,

Charles
  • I would go with the fuel pump which is in the tank or the fuel filter, that is under the door, on a 1992 v8 anyway. It really sounds like a fuel problem. Hope it helps , but I'm not a mechanic. Good luck.
  • I would first try the $50 IAC which is easy to replace.
  • Hi All,

I just wanted to report back that the problem turned out to be a bad muffler. The muffler was replaced and state inspection done for $65.00 total.

I would never have thought about the muffler.

Thanks for all the help,

Charles
  • to theunter1001, i'm having the same issue and found a sourse on youtube.
    try turning the ignition on 3 times without starting the engine. when you do this look in your odomitter window and a P
    (P) CODE will come up with dashes after them. if there is another code number it will come up and if not it will say P DONE...

I just did this with my 2004 dodge dakota with a 4.7 engine.
    Hope this helps you out
  • you may not even get this message but I need to know what you did to fix your 2002 Dakota. I have the same truck with the same problem... please help
  • Hi,,,we have a 1992 dodge dakota,,,and the problem was the EGR....and a couple of censors...I have more details if you interested..
14567810»