Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many miles can a Jeep Grand Cherokee handle?

2»

Comments

• I was wondering about how much should I pay (cash) for a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 59,026 miles? 93,187 miles? 99,948 mile? and 90,110 miles?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    Pricing depends a bit on options, color, condition and your zip code, and whether you are buying from a dealer or private party. Try the Appraisal tool here.

How you pay for it probably won't make any difference on the price, but that could depend on the seller a bit.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• i have a 1997 jeep grand cherokee, that has 230,000 miles, original tranny, engine, and transfer case. just the usual maintinance. But over all, it has been very reliable, it has the 4.0 litre. As for the newer Jeeps, with the 3.7 litre V6, those are not as reliable as the time tested straight six
  • 95zjtom95zjtom Posts: 8
    We have two 95 Grand Cherokee Ltd. Both have the 5.2 liter V8 - the best engine ever. I have one parked at our 2nd house in N MI waiting for me to take the heads off and rework them, due to my ignoring the sound of a bad water pump. It has 317,000 miles with nothing done to the engine other than starter, alternator. At about 295,000 it needed a new cam shaft pickup in the distributor, plus the auto shutdown relay, and the sensors on the multi-port fuel injection. But it has had the tranny and quadra trac transfer case rebuilt and needs that again.

I am driving the other one daily still, and we bought it 11 years ago. It has 299,400 or so miles and has needed very little work. A transmission oil leak about 90,000. I have replaced the starter twice, the alternator once, the water pump once, and also replaced the sensors on the multi-port fuel injection. Plus the normal tuneups on both of course.

All in all we have been very happy with both Jeeps and are anxious to buy another someday soon.
  • We are about to consider to buy a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo SUV with 348500 Km/ 216548 Miles for $1,800.00 CND within our price range. Just looking for some feedback on how these vehicle handle the mileage and endurance. 4-wheel Drive, 4.0L Engine, 6cyl, Great tires BF Goodrich All terrain T/A. Only being sold because seller has to move. Worth checking out????
    Has supposedly been well maintained. We have not seen it yet. Look forward to hear back, thnx!
  • nicktashnicktash Posts: 1
    my 95 jeep gc laredo has 317000 miles and lovin it its the I6 4.0 my only problem with the jeep is it shakes terribly at 50 mph i need help with trying to figure this problem out?? please help me out
  • victeryvictery Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 liter, that has over 384,000 miles, original tranny, engine, and transfer case. Not much other replaced parts - just the usual maintinance. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Bought it when it had only 67,000 miles on it. I don't change the oil very regularly - sometimes waiting till I can't see it on the dip stick. Go figure.
  • ampippinampippin Posts: 1
    My 99' GCL has 182,000. It leaks antifreeze, transfer case is shot, leaks in back side window, and left brake lights wont work.... but I still hafta drive it everyday... Price of being poor... :confuse:
  • My Jeep starting doing this too. All it was is the steering damper which cost me less than a few hundred dollars. If this is your problem they call it the "death wobble" that you can look up on the internet.
  • tseunamitseunami Posts: 1
    My 95 grand cherokee ltd 5.2 l has 272,000 miles. I just put a new transmission in it. Still running strong!
  • mine did the same thing,I would have to pull over it was so bad. Took it to 4 different mechanics even jeep no luck and then my backyard mechanic took a look at it and saw that the new stablelizer bar had been installed backwards . He installed it correctly and have not had a problem for 8 years.
  • jgc92jgc92 Posts: 2
    My 97 Grand Cherokee has 282,XXX and is till running strong!
  • mattygeezymattygeezy Posts: 2

If your buying a jeep there is one thing to keep in mind. If its a Grand Cherokee make sure its not the years that they made them Awd. You cant take them out of 4wd which makes them bad on gas and more expensive to fix. Trust me on this one cause I own one. I took the front drive shaft off just to save in gas. If you get one buy a XJ. Ive owned both and its night and day. They have the same engines but different drive train. 4.0 engine is a great engine tho. Mine has 174000 and it would still spin the tires off it if you want. Power steering boxes and heater cores are a pain tho to fix on Jeeps too! But they are good vehicles over all. Mine is a 93 and still passes N.H. inspections

• mattygeezymattygeezy Posts: 2
    edited April 15

Oh ya make sure the front bushings and parts are tight cause Jeeps are known for their death wobble. Ive had this happen and its exactly how it sounds. Scary as hell!

2»