Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Volkswagen in the U.S.

2»

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,387
    Years ago I remember replacing a thermostat on a Saab. It stays in my memory because Saabs were quirky to work on before everyone got taht way. First experience with not be able to name things under the hood. "It over there by the thing that looks like a one pound coffee can painted black."

Anyway, total cost of repair $10. Buy thermostat at auto parts store, drop it in and tighten. You might like doing taht when the engine is cool...

I'm not sure if I know where the thermostats are in my cars. That's scary.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    They are not easy to find anymore. Theromostats I mean.
    Yeah, and they used to be the easiest thing in the world.

Must have gone the way of the visible oil filter.
    I ran a service shop for about six years, I worked there for a total of eight years, that got well over half its revenue from oil changes.

Just in that short time span the evolution, I might say devolution, of the oil filter shocked me. We have gone back to cannister filters... :mad:

You can't find anything anymore and the housing the filter is surrounded by is made of plastic in many cars. It is so easy to round off the plastic housing on the cars even if you are using the right special tool. All you have to do is have the tool missaligned slightly to screw it up.
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    I understand what you are saying. All of the surveys I ever read told me not to get a Ram Charger in 89 but that turned out to be one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Yes I took it off road and used it to tow a boat and for 11 years it did that without fail. Still the Dependability surveys can be used as a tool to help someone when their choices get down to two or three. Kia and VW have been at the bottom of the JD powers list for a very long time. VW is also known for poor parts and service so if you have a car that has been down in dependability for as long as VW it takes a great leap of faith to ignore the odds. However I agree almost all cars have gotten better so it is a comparative thing. Still, VW sales and service have had a bad reputation for some reason?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,295
    It depends on which JD Powers survey you look at, but Kia has been right up there with Toyota in the initial quality survey in recent years.

My sister had a problematic 2000 VW New Beetle that finally started running ok after 100,000 miles. VW of America must have talked to her dealer, because their service improved about 180 degrees about three years ago. It was almost enough to convince her to take a flyer on a 2005 or 2006 Passat.

Almost, but not quite - she wound up with a Subaru for now.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

If you're not going for a Passat a Legacy isn't a bad alternative. They drive more German than Japanese. A lot of fun. I'd own one now but bet wring on how much my kids would grow.

The Legacy isn't as big. I figured they'd top out about my height but they are around 5'1". Who knew?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,295
    Guess I should have mentioned she wound up with a Forester.

"Just like mine."

Then I had to tell her that mine was an Outback. :P

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Well, she was close anyway..... ;)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    VW takes it to a whole new level, which is what turns me off. Not only do they have lots of problems, but sometimes even AT THE DEALER, even UNDER WARRANTY, your car cannot be repaired! That was the case at first for all those poor folks with failing ignition coils a few years ago, for instance. Can you imagine being without your car for six weeks or more waiting on a fix, then waiting on the parts pipeline to fill up?? It blows my mind that people will put up with that, regardless of how great the car itself is.

Needing lots of warranty service is one thing, having unserviceable problems is quite another.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Our service advisor for our land Rover store is having that problem now. Our VW dealer cannot fix his car. They have tried over and over and they just can't fix it.
    For reminding me. No VW. No VW....
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    Sounds typical for VW service and parts. And that is the shame of it. I like the look and the way some of the VWs drive but I see a sign that says service and parts next to the car lot and I get panicky.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Any recent new info on the much anticipated 09' Passat ?????

-Rocky
  • I'm having a challenge finding a used automatic Tdi Jetta wagon, preferably '04, anywhere remotely close to San Diego. Do you have any suggestions or leads?
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?model=JET&num_records=&systime=1- 193560333218&make2=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=- &body_code=0&fuel=Diesel&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search- _lang=en&make=VOLKS&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsear- chform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_t- ype=priceDESC&address=49509&advanced=y&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_pr- ice=&pager.offset=25&first_record=26

Found 2004's in California. Sure you might have to drive a little but sometimes that is the sacrifice you have to make to get what you want. ;) Also shipping any of em' isn't that expensive. You will have to shop around for a carrier or you could have the dealer ship it to you. If you find a good deal then tell the dealer you will buy it if he ships it to you. Use it as a bargaining tool. ;)

I hope I helped ? :)

-Rocky
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,052
    Welcome to the Forum.

As Rocky has linked, Autotrader is about the best to cover the whole country. I only see 4 Jetta wagon TDIs in the USA. They are a rare vehicle and most people hang onto them. That was a very good model in spite of poor press. I would also watch Craigslist. There is a dealer in Orange County http://www.vwtdionly.com/default.asp?newused=5 that specializes in VW diesels. The price is going to be stiff for a good one. I bought a 2005 Passat Wagon in Oregon brand new under invoice when the price of diesel was very high like it is now. The problem is VW is not sending in many wagons. Not sure if any are TDI.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,686
    i>The problem is VW is not sending in many wagons. Not sure if any are TDI.

Not yet but Jetta TDI Sport Wagons are due here in the '08 or '09 MY. I'll be checking them out when they get here.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I am a little surprised at how good the resale is on them. :surprise:

I guess not much out their can match their mpg and durability (diesel). Would I be correct andys120 & gagrice ?

-Rocky
    I think the frenzy is all about mileage and something you cannot buy in CA and the other wannabe states. I don't think the durability is any better or worse. The diesel Jetta wagon is a cool little vehicle. And many owners get 50+ MPG on the highway with them. Finding a good VW diesel mechanic in CA could be a problem.

Not to labor the point. I was able to buy a brand new 2005 VW Passat diesel. Drive it for 13 months and 8000 miles and sell it for $3000 more than I bought it for new. That to me is a phenomenon. I would like to do it again. I just cannot find the deal on a new or used one that would allow for that to happen.

I hear from the gentleman that bought it every couple months. He loves that Passat wagon that gets him 40 MPG.
    Yeah they would make a good vehicle I suppose for the guy who travels. I guess I'd rather spend half the amount and get 30 mpg with a gas engine with more power. Those diesels are also expensive to maintain and like you said finding a VW diesel mechanic is hard and I'm sure very expensive once you did. :surprise:

-Rocky
  • thank you, this is very good for me to hear/read your points. i haven't purchased a vehicle in over 12 years and i've always had trucks and vans. the only thing i need space for any more is my surfboards so i'm clueless about cars, mostly. i'm wanting to run biodiesel or veggie oil and ride my bike more... yet i'd like to be able to own a car that functions in my lifestyle(i.e. mostly in town driving, some freeways, and an occasional road trip). does anyone have any suggestions for cars that might work for me?

keith
    Well you came to the RIGHT place (edmunds) for advice, opinions, from car buffs. ;)

Lots of personal, finacial, factors come in to play when deciding "what" to buy and their is plenty of forums filled with people to help you decide. ;)

-Rocky
    San Diego has a few places you can get biodiesel. Have you looked at the Golf TDI? They are easier to find than the Jetta Wagon. I think a surfboard would fit inside, if it is not a longboard. There are a couple listed in San Diego on Craigslist. They do not seem to have the big premium of the Jetta.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/459644219.html
2»
This discussion has been closed.