Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    I agree with you My husband drives a 2005 TL,this is his second TL. The lease will be up Feb 2009 . Hoping Tl has a redesigned body he is very happy with the performance and equipment in the car I guess if it doesn't measure up he will look at the BMW 3 or 5, C Class and maybe a LExus. I really don't know much about them just what they look like Any suggestions
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    This car will have some good tech features for sure. Push button start, iPod compatible USB input, possibly a 20 GB hard drive for the tech pacakge to store music, XM NavTraffic, XM NavWeather and much more.
    No tape player for the 09 TL. Acura has decided to not include it for 09. There is an aux in where you can plug in your own portable tape player. There are tape player solutions for the PC where you can rip your tapes into MP3 format. Hope this helps.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    salesman in Canada told me yesterday that the "character/crease line" running down the side of the TL will be gone. I hope they don't change it too much, if they do, it"ll be the Accord for me b/c that new one looks like an Acura TL.....but cheaper!!
  • edusereduser Member Posts: 5
    LOL... high powered high performance?? accord is further from high performance, high powered than a honda odyssey., even TL does not belong in that category.. There is a niche market for sport hybrids/high-mileage, see Lexus GS, LS, Mercedes E, etc..
    Honda/Acura are working on a 6 speed automatic transmission but they didn't have enough human resources to develop one. I'm sure the 2011 RL will have a 6 speed. Maybe the 2012 TL facelift will have it for sure.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Maybe the 2012 TL facelift will have it for sure."

Maybe.....for sure? :confuse: :P ;)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Uh huh, yeah, for sure....maybe.
    The 20GB hard drive is coming for 09. Perhaps a tech package only feature. AWD models may be delayed until december. With the hard drive you can plug in a thumb drive full of mp3/WMA files and it will automatically sync them to the hard drive. The USB port also plays iPod's. Just plug in the iPod with a regular iPod usb cable and it will have full integration. It only works on 5th gen and up iPods. If you have one older than that then you should go out and buy a new one. Some new features are also going to be added.
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    Do u have any info whether it will be the same ELS system on the MDX or TSX? Also I hope active noise cancellation stays as well.
    I'm sure the ANC could stay. I do know that ELS system will be similar to the MDX and TSX's system. Panasonic has done a great job with the ELS audio system.
    It'll be interesting to see how the fuel economy of the '09 TL compares with the '08. If the new car is less fuel efficient, especially in the 3.5 FWD version, I think it'll be a misstep on Honda's part, in this age of ~$4.50 premium gasoline. Will the greater size and weight be offset by the variable displacement feature?

Should the TSX and the TL be detuned slightly, to run on regular? I'd favor that, although I'm not passionate about it. The diesel option would be more appealing if it weren't for the fact that diesel fuel costs considerably more than gasoline in most parts of the U.S.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    So you want more power and better fuel economy? Would you like a piece of cake with that? The fact is that people buy luxury/entry luxury cars for status and performance=status. The car makers are just giving the consumers what they have been asking for.

There are plenty of choices out there for those who value fuel economy above all. You can get a really nice Camry Hybrid that will offer most of the luxury of a TL with much better fuel economy. It won't be as sporty, but that is my point.

I think the more realistic hope is that Acura can make the TL more fuel efficient than the G35 or ES350. A diesel version will be coming in the next year or so. Diesel is only more expensive because demand is lower. Once more diesels are on the road the price will come down accordingly.
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2005 Tl and use Regular gas Highway I get appx 25 -27 city 18-20 What do you think the 2009 mileage will be like? my lease is up January Hope the Tl is as nice as the 2005, if not will have to really shop around
    "So you want more power and better fuel economy?"

To clarify, I said I'd prefer a slightly detuned TL that uses regular. "Detuned" implies that I'm willing to accept a small loss of power as a tradeoff for the savings of regular. I also said that I'm not passionate on this point, which is intended to mean that premium gas wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I own a TL, and I've only used premium. I was just stating a preference.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    rn beware-

I had an '05 TL but traded for an '07 MDX fro the AWD. The MDX's manual clearly states that using 87 octane temporarily is OK but longterm use can cause engine damage.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Hi, Doc:

RN is leasing...

And I believe that the '05 TL states basically the same thing re: lower octane gas.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    "I think the more realistic hope is that Acura can make the TL more fuel efficient than the G35 or ES350"

Not hard to have better fuel efficiency than the G35 at 17/24!!!!
  • slim83slim83 Member Posts: 25
    FYI....Left Lane News has added four more recent pics.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    This consumer is asking for reasonable performance (250 or so HP) and improved fuel economy.

Diesel is more expensive because demand is lower?? I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale too.
    I forgot to include the link....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl-future.html
    Japan might get a 4 cylinder TL if Acura comes to Japan. Japan will eventually get acura and this TL could come if they decide to bring it over there. I'm sure they will sell a v6 TL in japan as well.
    "I'm sure they will sell a v6 TL in japan as well."

If they did, I'd bet it'd be smaller than 3.5 liters. I'd really be surprised if they sold the 3.7 V6 in Japan, although I'd be equally surprised if they didn't offer the SH-AWD option. I understand that AWD is quite popular in Japan.
    To me, the TSX is essentially a 4 cyl TL.
    The trunk styling is ...interesting. The opening sure looks small. Looks like they are trying to adopt the shape of the front grill to the trunk lid. And the trunk lid hinges are so yesterday!

Overall the shape looks ok, but probably not the home run that the current was back in '04. It could be worse...at least it doesn't look like the Maxima! But is anyone now going to spend the extra $ to buy the RL?
    They are constantly adding pics. Check out the new ones in white.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl-future.html
    Hey LD,

So are you suggesting that rnmom shouldn't worry about using 87 octane because she won't have to deal with the long term effects? :confuse: :sick:
    Not at all. I was postulating that was the reason why she had been avoiding the minimum daily adult requirement for proper nourishment for her "rented" TL.

My "only a few more payments and she's all mine" TL has never tasted anything less than 91 octane. 90% of the time, 93.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Yeah, unfortunately all my vehicles require 91 or higher and the closest to that here is 93 @ $4.49/gal. Ouch! I'm sure the '09 TL will be as finicky.
    Cheapest 93 for me is currently $4.20 (which is still cheaper than the 91 at the Sunoco station). Probably will be $4.25 on the way home tonight, though! :sick:

• fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Laurasdada, you have it good. We are paying around $4.75 for 91 octane "super" now! I think I need to oil up the old scooter now!
    Scooter? Time to dig the old Nikes out of the closet! ;)
    Nikes? With the price of gas these days, who can afford Nikes? Flip flops from the local drug store are much cheaper,
    That's why I said "old Nikes", that you had previously re-assigned to lawn-mowing duties! :P
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Only $3.91 for premium here in Oklahoma ONLY!!!! *cries*
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Wow. Not too bad for the time. I just saw $5.19 for super at a 76 in Sherman Oaks, CA - 101 and Van Nuys Blvd! These guys suck! That is why I will be taking the train soon and leaving my TL at the station!
    Oklahoma, OK!

Strange occurance, Premium at the Sunoco went down from $4.32 to $4.27...! Should I be worried?

Right behind the Sunoco station is a Jag/LR dealer. Maybe they lowered the price to get the dealer to fill up there instead of going a bit down the road where it was .12/gallon cheaper.

Jag, I want one.

Jag, I want one

Too unreliable, same goes for Land Rover. The Brits have to get their act together.

They are sexy though..... :blush:
    No need or desire for a LR. However, I've been reading good quality/reliability reports re: Jag.

Many, many years ago whilst riding the train to work, two gentleman were discussing their weekends. Man 1 asks man 2, "So how do you like your new Jag?" Man 2 replies, "I love it! I found the best mechanic!" True story, but that was back in the mid '80s...

I think I would enjoy an XF or XK. I've always been a fool for a pretty face. :blush:

"They are sexy though.....'

Ah, I dunno about that.....I think us Canadians are the sexiest! ;) Much more so than the Brits. :P
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    The prettier, the more evil!! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    I meant the cars, not the people!
  • logic2klogic2k Member Posts: 10
    Are there anymore sightings of the 09 TL ? I've only seen a few from Motor Trend but they were really covered up.
  • logic2klogic2k Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the URL. This is more than I have seen in the past few months. Good catch :)
    I knew that...I was just having some fun. :P
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    A CPO-ed S-Type R is quite the deal, though, which I discovered when I did a casual search for used Jaguar S-Types..

Land Rover.. Ehh.. I'll pass.. I think the S-Type R in British Racing Green just looks so much sexier :blush:
    I think one thing is becoming quite apparent --- the new TL does not have an attractive butt!
    Yeah, I'm not in love with it....

It also looks like it has gained considerable weight.