Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "I stand for an extra 5-10 seconds..."

Only 5-10 seconds? Not at least 5-10 minutes?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,607
    Fear not, Lucky. Not pathetic nor childish, rather pride of ownership! Not to mention enjoying a thing of beauty. That is a joy forever. I pretty much do the same...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Yeah, well, too much solitary time "enjoying" your "thing of beauty" and you might get the evil eye from the Evil Wife. :( :P
  • The TL makes the Mazda 6 look as if it has been out for more than two years.
    As for the Hyundai (I will keep on saying this) nothing comes out of that stable with an original design.Genesis = S550 want to be.

My .02 cents
    "The TL makes the Mazda 6 look as if it has been out for more than two years."

I think you got that backwards --- speaking strictly on the exterior design, as I have not seen the Mazda's interior.

"....nothing comes out of that stable with an original design"

You will no doubt recall that was (and maybe still is) the way the Japanese brands rose to prominence. Everybody copies from somebody to a certain degree. The key is not whether you copy, but rather whether you can pull it off and even improve on it.
  • I think you got that backwards --- speaking strictly on the exterior design, as I have not seen the Mazda's interior.

Absolutely not- The Mazda does not strike you as the TL does, looking at the Mazda one would probably say, I have seen that or something close to it before.

I am not putting down Mazda because I owned one straight out of college back in 99-it was their Millennia (now that was beauty).

As for Hyundai, I dont even want to debate that because I have not even the slightest interest there (please note that this is not a bias remark).
    The TL strikes me alright, just not in a positive way. Again, just styling-wise.

You may not be interested in the Hyundai, but that doesn't mean it's not a good product. To each his own.
  • To each his own.

Yeah, I think so too.
    I doubt that the EW is jealous of my little menage-a-trois: Myself, my TL and Zaino!

As long as I pay the bills and buy her shiny things regularly, she is quite content... ;)

• There is a Zaino support group around here somewhere... :P
    My only problem regarding Zaino, given the economy and my affinity for the stock market, is that I can no longer afford it! :cry:

• Seriously, not to hijack the thread but my 403 (b) is tanking! I asked my advisor what to do and of course he said don't panic, your a relatively young guy and you'll just buy more stock at a cheaper price and when the market goes up again like it always does, you'll be that much better off. My question is that if some companies stock goes so low that they go under, I'll own shares that are worthless? :cry:
  • People straight-line optimism, and they straight-line pessimism. Your advisor is right. Dollar cost average and buy like crazy at these levels.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Dollar cost average and buy like crazy at these levels.

I'm not sure you came to the right place for financial advice. And the "buy like crazy" suggestion is, IMO, worth about what you paid for it. I was just at lunch with an executive from one of the largest financial services companies in the world. His take is that there are several more shoes to drop before this mess is even close to over. We haven't seen hardly any commercial mortgage defaults....yet. There are probably some good stocks to buy now, but there are also some that could be lethal. I myself am getting hammered on Wachovia which looked like a screaming deal when it went from 60 to 20. Unfortunately on it's way to 6 - and only 6 because Wells Fargo beat out Citibank to keep it from being worth NOTHING.

My advice - find someone as passionate about stocks as I am about manual transmissions. And then get their advice.
  • lax29lax29 Posts: 42
    Have to agree with you. The 09 TL looks much better in person. Personally, I think the grill will start to grow on you as you see more of them out there. Have not driven one yet, but plan on it this week. But, as an owner of a 04 Tl, can't imagine it's not a nice ride. Worried that once I drive it, it will seal the deal. Just not willing to pay full sticker price yet. That's the only obstacle to overcome.

Does anyone else have insight to when they will start discounting them?
    "Does anyone else have insight to when they will start discounting them?"

Of course. When supply is greater than demand...!

I had no problem buying an '05 TL during Xmas week in '04 at invoice. Didn't want a first model year TL (or any car, first model year).

I have heard many people say the same thing. But, I bought the 04 when it first came out and never had one problem with it. Even all the talk about the bass rattling, never had it. Though, I did have a 08 loaner while my car was getting serviced and did notice the bass rattling. Tried to turn the bass down and made a slight difference. Guess that I have a lot of confidence in Acura. Probably would not say that about many other companies.
    I'm guessing you meant to say you have to disagree with me.

I tried to keep an open mind, but the versions we saw just weren't attractive ..... big, bulky, big schnoz (I don't want that to grow on me any further :P ), undersized wheels. Just did not look sharp or sporty. Maybe the SH-AWD version with 18" wheel would look better. Have to wait and see. But as of now, if I didn't have a car and was in the market for a family-size sedan, a fully-loaded Accord EX-V6 with the cylinder de-activation would rank ahead of the TL on my list. And not only because it is less expensive, but I think it actually looks better, more cohesive. The TL is a prime example of styling by committee ---- a mishmesh of ideas and cliches.
  • I don't think first model year is inherently bad especially coming from a quality company. Major updates are usually 2-3 years into the model anyway and don't forsee any tremendous changes 2010 other than the 6MT. That being said I'm weary Honda will finally come out with their 6AT in 2011 or 2012 but don't think I can wait that long. Other features TL lacks this year compared to competition (335, A4, G35, IS350) = adaptive headlights, lane departure warning, sunshades, and probably a few more things. IMHO these features are not deal-breakers.

I would like to see a tighter turning radius, reduced weight, better fuel economy but these features won't change within the same generation.

Also, anybody know why Acura changed the SHAWD highway EPA from 24 to 25? Perhaps it is 24.5? Anyway, I've found I exceed EPA for highway travel but just curious what people's takes are?
    "Other features TL lacks this year compared to competition (335, A4, G35, IS350)...."

Don't forget size, although that's actually something the TL has too much of, compared to those other models. The TL is a land yacht next to those,
    This is the first time I have heard of Zaino. Is it that good of a product. Usually use the Maguires products.

Looked it up and seems like it is a multi stage process. Do I really need to use it in stages? Currently do not have swirl marks and paint looks good, but I do take pretty good care of my cars. Have the red/burgundy color. Open to suggestions.
    Visit zainostore.com for a bunch of info. I like the stuff, gives a great "mirror" shine and lasts quite a long time. It is not cheap, unlike me... but a little goes a long way.

The number of products has grown a bit in the last few years, so different products, different application steps. But I do mix ZFX with Z2 or Z5 and Z6 in between coats (as well as Z7 wash). So, I multi-step. Not difficult to apply/remove, but it is a bit time consuming. To me, worth it especially for a darker blue color like my Abyss Blue TL.

The '09 continues, in pix, to not grow on me. I'm fairly sure that the can-opener beak shall not grow on me... What a shame... Still, hope it sells well!

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    The 09 TL looks much better in person. Personally, I think the grill will start to grow on you as you see more of them out there. Have not driven one yet, but plan on it this week. But, as an owner of a 04 Tl, can't imagine it's not a nice ride.

I have an 04 TL, wife has an 07 TL. We were both at Acura dealer yesterday for servicing. Spoke to a sales guy and he having to be positive about style of entire car offered that front grille probably will not hold up well and will show scratches and other marks with time. He said that he liked the front end of TSX over the TL and also said that TSX would get a V6 next year.

The car looks bloated compared to the 04-08 generation that was trim and athletic looking. With extra size and weight, would be surprised if handling/performance of 09 even matches 04-08.

Hoping R&T does a road test on 09. Will look especially at slalom speed, in that is a key measure of a car's dexterity and agility.

I nor wife would not consider buying the 09 TL because of styling/size. Fortunately, do not need replacements for awhile yet. Perhaps Acura headqtrs will get feedback on weird front styling of 09 and will at least make some adjustments in coming years of this generation car.

Acura clearly goofed up on making a larger size car. The 04-08 was perfect size per my perspective and was actually downsized from previous gen 99-03 gen TL.
    My wife and son also gave the new TL their collective 4 thumbs down (it would have been more but they only had 4 thumbs!). Both of them also thought the TSX's front end is more attractive. The RL's is also more attractive, for that matter.

I can't say Acura goofed, per se, on making a larger car. The design die was cast years ago, well before any signs of financial meltdown and high gas prices. They just got caught with their pants down just like most other manufacturers.
  • Granted, the new styling is controversial. Current TL owners and enthusiasts might be put off by the increased size as well. However, there are tons of folks that are (reluctantly) coming out of SUV's that may appreciate the larger size of the TL. Personally, I am glad that the TL and the Accord have grown. YMMV.
    I seem to remember that everyone thought the grill on the new MDX was too extreme also. But I don't seem to hear about that anymore.

Don't get me wrong, not defending the grill on the 09 TL. It's certainly not my favorite thing about the car.

The only thing I liked about the size was the rear leg room seemed to be capable of seating adults without me having to adjust the driver seat. Measured my garage and would have to get rid of the shelving in order to fit it in. Would not be happy about that if I do decide on the purchase.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    If you search the forums on "zaino," you'll find a longstanding discussion related to their products.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The gain in interior passenger and cargo space is not proportionate with increased exterior bulk though.

And if Honda had the former SUV folks in mind, wouldn't it have been better off coming out with a wagon version, if not in the TL line, at least for the Accord. I would imagine a wagon, rather than a sedan, would be a more natural migration path from a SUV owner looking to lower his gas bill.
    I thought such a search would lead you to 116 pages of posts on Zaino from "laurasdada". :P :P
  • The gain in interior passenger and cargo space is not proportionate with increased exterior bulk though.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the additional bulk is in the front/rear overhang or "fender bulge"....a bigger "footprint"? If not in the passenger compartment or trunk space, then how is it that a car gains "bulk?"

I would imagine a wagon, rather than a sedan, would be a more natural migration path from a SUV owner looking to lower his gas bill.

Right or wrong, that wasn't what SUVs were all about. Most SUV owners wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon or minivan.