Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• Have you driven the RL? I think this car is a wonderful blend of luxury, performance and value.Personally, I think the V8 is the only thing missing, I drove it last weekend and I was impressed with its handling, pickup and the luxury appointments which are standard of course.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    If one has a 99-03 TL, or an 04-05 TL with high mileage, now would be time to buy an 08 and have what will be a classic design. Hang onto 08 until 09-13 gen is history. Perhaps the 2014 TL will return to elegant and tasteful design.

If wait too long (early Oct) and can't get an 08 TL, look elsewhere, maybe to Infiniti G series.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Wait until you've driven an '09 TL SH-AWD, and then come back and see whether you still consider the RL an viable alternative. I was just saying that, on paper, the '09 TL appears to render the RL redundant, right down to the controversial grill. I wasn't commenting on whether the RL is, or is not, a wonderful blend of anything.
    I had a '09 TSX as a service loaner for a day, and yes, the backseat is tighter than in the TL. I was quite impressed with the TSX on an earlier 15-minute test drive, but less so after driving it for a day. The steering is a little too loosey goosey for me. The power is ok, and an improvement from the previous TSX, but the tranny needs to downshift quite a bit when power is called on. The car is now the same size as the current TL, so no advantage there if one is looking for a compact sports sedan.

But the kicker is, in this neck of the woods at least, one can get a '08 TL-Nav for almost the same price as a top-of-the-line TSX, comparing out-the-door prices, due to factory incentives and discounts on the TL. So, if I did not already have a TL, I would buy an '08 TL over the new TSX, because I still think the TL is more car for the money.
  • xando05xando05 Posts: 36
    2009 TL SH-AWD
    2008 Toyota Highlander Sport or Limited AWD
    2008 Cadillac CTS AWD
    2009 Cadillac STS AWD
    2009 Lincoln MKS AWD
    2009 Jaguar XF with optional Jaguar snow traction system accessory(special snow chains)

Any serious input would be very helpful.
  • sbtattersbtatter Posts: 47
    Have you driven the new Accord to compare with tour TL and your loaner TSX?
    No, I have not had the chance (nor any serious inclination, since I just find it too big, and lacking in a few luxury features, and can't quite decide what to make of the styling), but I suspect the V6 version will drive much like the current TL, but probably with a cushier ride.
  • lilajlilaj Posts: 15
    First of all the RL received a MMC for 2009, so the changes aren't suppose to be major. When the car is redesigned in 2010 it will have honda first ever V8 engine.
  • Just remember, a fair apples-to-apples comparison is the '09 Max and the '09 TL with FWD not the SH-AWD since the Maxima does not have a AWD offering. With that in mind using $34K as the base price for the TL and a conservative estimate of $4K for the Tech Pkg, the price would be between 38 and 39K including destination.

But I do agree that you won't find Acura 'giving away' '09 TLs for 3K off MSRP once they go on the market in Sept. When the SH-AWD version comes out in Nov, prices for the new TL FWD will come down some more due to a shift in demand. And maybe by that time, Nissan will be giving $3-4K off across the board on all '09 Maximas. We'll see....
  • So you drove them both and came to your conclusion?
    "...on paper, the '09 TL appears to render the RL redundant"

That's what I said. I doubt anyone here has driven an '09 TL. Don't try to be a smart-[non-permissible content removed], billy.
  • I knew you had a sense of humor. :)
  • jresjres Posts: 69
    Does Acura still offer a decent (6 speed manual) transmission with the SH-AWD????
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Posts: 135
    New 09 Maxima's can be had for $4k off MSRP in some regions of the country. Check out Dobbs Nissan's website in Memphis as an example. On the other side, major metropolitan areas seem to be offerring no discounts.

I've have an 04 TL which has had lots of mechanical problems. So, I just bought an 09 Maxima. Early owner reviews of Maxima owners has been very positive. Time will tell if the Maxima lives up to the quality I'm expecting. Its gotta be better than my 04 TL!!
  • dtd1dtd1 Posts: 10
    Might take up this advice. Don't need a new car until November and had been planning to pick up a 09 TL. But after seeing pictures of the real thing--no thanks, for all the reasons people have been citing (too big, too ugly, etc). Some have suggested not drawing any conclusions until after seeing and driving one in person. Just can't see how that will sway my opinion all the way back into the 09 TL camp.

After a few test drives, the current TL-S has really impressed me against competing BMW 328xi, Audi A4, and Lexus IS250 (current car is a BMW M Series/prior are BMW 325, Lexus and Porsche). The other cars I drove just felt too small after driving the TL-S, which seems about the right size. While I'm somewhat hesitant to buy the "lame duck" 08 model, it's currently my number one pick and I might snag one before they're gone.
    Humor is my middle name. ;)
  • slim83slim83 Posts: 25
    Does anyone know when Acura will release official information on its website? I know the embargo is this Sunday for reviewers so I’m assuming they will add additional information before that time.