Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    "... have found that the front seat head rests are angled uncomfortably too far forward, causing noticeable discomfort after even a short test-driving trip."

I sat in a '09 TL in the showroom and didn't even go for a test drive, and experienced exactly what you described. I asked the sales person if there's an adjustment that would eliminate this discomfort, and he said there isn't. he said It was designed that way for safety reasons, to reduce the chances or severity of whiplash. Well, safety or no safety, it's a deal breaker for me if the seating position causes neck discomfort. I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone the same way, but I'm glad to know that there are others who experienced the same discomfort.

It seems to me that those of us with an anatomy that makes this new TL headrest uncomfortable would probably lean our heads back further if the headrest allowed it, so that our heads would be the same distance from the headrest as in the TL headrest, or our heads would touch the headrest, but at a more comfortable angle, thereby achieving the same whiplash protection.

Incidentally, the headrest of my wife's older TL doesn't present this problem.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those transmission problems covered under warranty. Those cars have a 7 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. All car companies have recalls on different things. Honda/Acura happened to have tranny problems from 99 to 03 or 04. They're still great cars and have excellent resale value.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Haby, you need to get yourself back into that S2000... :P J/K Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 911, I still have it on my wish list anyways, but it won't be for a very long time since my 04' S2000 is gonna be with me for a very long time :D

It's been a while since I posted and actually the TL is what got me back on the Edmunds boards (I was lurking for a while). Anyways, I am interested in the SH-AWD with a stick (I know you'll appreciate that one) so I'll be lurking here for a while. Cheers!!!

Oh and dvsutton is a phoney. Do a quick internet search and you'll find the same rants going back to last year. At one point it was problems with a Corolla, then a Camry. The whole Odyssey thing is made up, seriously. At one point it was Sienna.
    link title

Thankfully, his posts on the N&V board get erased soon after they are posted so he's just wasting a ton of keystrokes for nothing.

Hey dv, I like Fords too man so don't take this personally. ;)

Anyways, with regards to the TL, I don't really have any complaints with the styling, outside of the beak. A honda enthusiast site has some great photoshops of what the car would look like with portions of the grill painted to match the car and it becomes much more palatable. Otherwise, I have seen a couple being delivered to the dealerships and in darker colors, the grill looks fine.

But I predict an emergency makeover to "tone it down" come MMC.

Cheers!
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    That is bad news. I wanted to consider the TL; might be a short visit.
    There are so many cars with those new headrests. I liked the Mercury Milan but they gave me a headache from angling my head forward. The salesman told me a lot of people said the same thing. Impala's are worse; just impossible to drive. Tonight I test drove a Lincoln MKZ; I liked it a lot. Headrests were okay, but just barely and only if you pulled it all the way up. The sales manager said the biggest complaint on the new Lincoln MKS was the head rests.
    I had a TSX loaner for a day; no problem, very comfortable seats, I didn't notice the headrests.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    Maybe if enough of us who are uncomfortable with some of these newer headrests make our wishes known, the manufacturers will modify them.

I don't buy the "it's for safety" argument because if they were adjustable by, say, one inch, those of us whose anatomy required it would still drive with our heads against the headrest, or just millimeters in front of it.
  • Lincoln's have absolutely horrible resale value. The MKS is 45 grand. You could get a BMW 335i for that!!! I won't even begin to compare those two cars. Ok I will... MKS 0-60 in 7.5. 335i 0-60 in 5.2. It's mind boggling why anyone would buy a Lincoln, unless it's used. In that case you might be getting a deal because it'll lose half it's value in the first 3 years. And the MKZ is 37 large. You could get a G37 for that.Lincoln's have less power and the worst resale value of any car in their class. YUCK!!! American cars in general have horrible resale. For example. Look on auto trader. A 2007 Ford Taurus is averaging around $12,000. That's roughly a $25,000 car brand new. A honda accord is around the same price depending on the options for 07. But they're averaging $18,000. and a much better car. There are many more examples like this. OK, thats my american car company rant.
  • fornovfornov Posts: 34
    I got a chance to take a TL for a test drive yesterday while I had my '06 TL in for service. I thought I'd post my thoughts here while they're still fresh in my mind both for my own reference, and for those who are waiting to hear feedback from other people's experiences.

First off, let me say that I'm pretty neutral on the styling. It doesn't have that OH WOW! factor that I thought when I first saw the '04 TL. But I don't feel turned off by the appearance either. I think it has a futuristic look, and in a year or two, it will look very good. Ditto for the grill, but as with everything I'll write here, this is just my opinion!

The interior looks very nice. I think most people would agree with that. I drove a model that had the tech option. Frankly, I couldn't imagine not getting the tech package. The seats were very comfortable; there was plenty of leg room, shoulder room and head room (I'm 6'2, 185). I didn't have a problem with the headrest. I started with it all the way down, and then after about 15 minutes, I remembered that I needed to check out the headrests after reading what I've read here. It was a good sign that I didn't even think about it until I consciously directed my attention to it. I raised the headrest a few notches and my head was in the right place on the headrest. I did think it felt most comfortable all the way down as I could extend my next over the top a little bit. So FWIW, the headrest didn't bother me.

The navigation system was pretty straightforward, but operating the stereo controls and weather and everything else didn't feel intuitive right away. I'm sure after playing around with it for a few days, it would seem natural, but I didn't get there in a 30-minute test drive. The sound system was AWESOME. Much, much better than in my '06. Bass sounded deeper, no rattle, treble was very crisp and sharp. Even Jim Rome sounded tolerable. :)

My driving impressions were good, and this was in a base model (not SH-AWD). My dealer doesn't have an AWD version yet, so I had to make due with what they had. I live in Iowa, and we're always the last to get anything good. The steering felt more responsive and the car turned more accurately. I drove a lot of the roads I drive routinely in town and in the country so I could get a feel for how the car performs in direct comparison to my '06. I also didn't experience the easy wheelspin that I often get in my '06. Basically, anytime I accelerate from a standstill with even moderate force, the front wheels spin. It's embarrassing for that to happen when you don't want it to.

I don't know that this car is quicker than the '06, but it feels like it is. I've always felt like my current vehicle has a "heavy" accelerator - in other words, you have to push hard into the pedal to get the car to go, harder than you would expect. Sure, if you mash the pedal (after the car has started rolling), the car will get going, but I don't want to have to put my foot to the floor any time I want to get some acceleration. The '09 seems to have a more responsive pedal and that makes it feel quicker.

Torque steer is reduced as well. Any time I accelerate hard in the '06, especially in a corner, I can tell the front wheels are working too hard. This seemed to be reduced in the '09, although I must admit I didn't have enough opportunities to be completely sure. Of course the SH-AWD system will help with that (and the wheelspin) greatly.

Overall, I have to say it was a positive experience. The test drive made me like the car more, not less, which is the whole point of test drives, IMO. I still plan to look more closely at the SH-AWD version when it is available. It is supposedly going to be here in 2-3 weeks (heard that before, haha). I'm going to make sure I drive it on the same day as the G37x as I think these are the top two cars I'm considering. I still need to drive a CTS, and maybe a GS350, maybe a 335xi again. It's fun to try these all out, and the good news is that there isn't a bad choice among the group. It's sorting out the details that makes the decision fun.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Thanks for the great writeup! Good read :shades:
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    I drove the TSX first. Very nice but between the TSX-Tech (I just want the 6 disc changer) and the TL - nonTech (I don't need Nav) it is only a $3,000 diff.

I liked them both. The TL has lots of power that comes on easily and more room. The TSX will move but the engine's RPM soars and it gets a bit loud. I found I preferred the TSX dashboard; more storage, easier to reach things. On the highway,to my surprise, the TSX seemed quieter with less wind noise and the car worked flawlessly.

The TL had other problems. The driver's side headrest would not move until the salesman got out of the car, sat behind me and yanked hard. (Once raised it did not bother me at all with its placement.) On the highway, the car shook. I commented a wheel must be out of balance. The salesman ventured a theory that one tire might be low on air but then checked the pressure monitor and found out the pressures were okay. Even at street legal speeds the car had some kind of vibration. After the test drive, the salesman left me in the showroom and immediately took the TL down to the shop. Since both are new models I wonder if this is representative of build quality differences between the two vehicles.

For reference, the guy offered me a price of $35,000 on the car with splash guards ($215) added to the $35,750 sticker. After some more discussions on financing the guy finally admitted the car 'that should be on our lot somewhere" wasn't due in until Dec 20th. This dealer was higher when I was shopping for my MDX so I'll shop it around.

I 'should' buy the TSX (fun to drive, cheaper, better gas mileage) but the TL's power and interior space is attractive.

I am not a true Honda/Acura fan. Our MDX is pretty good though I think our dealer's service people are pretty clueless. My 1986 Accord was the worst built car I ever owned (always dealer maintained; maybe that was a mistake) that I had to dump at 66K miles because of needed repairs. My mother-in-law's 2001 TL needed the trans replacement as did her brother's TL. My personal opinion is that Honda/Acura (as well as Toyota/Lexus) just cannot keep up its quality with today's automotive complexity. To me, the quality of the simpler Civic proves that but I don't want to drive that.

Rather than price shop by the Internet, I'll go to another dealer and pretend I haven't driven a TL yet to see if that car drives better.
  • I agree with your assessment, pretty much matched my test drive last month. The Acura salesman felt tha the Infiniti G35/G37 will be the biggest competition and I think he is right. Although I do not like the G37 styling that much, it does offer better raw performance (presumably, and only talking about AT not MT). I do anticipate the quality of finish to be slightly inferior and I hate that analog clock inside and the NAVI interface perched way up top. The rear seating is slightly smaller but the trunk slightly bigger. I also anticipate less road/wind isolation. The pricing is fairly comparable....
  • fornovfornov Posts: 34
    Agreed on most of that. I actually do like the analog clock - personal taste/preference, I suppose. I have a friend who has an '08 G35xS, and he let me check out the NAV system and that didn't bother me either. Does the G37 have the weather/traffic link like the TL? That's something I don't know. Rear seating is pretty close, but yes, probably bigger in the TL - probably won't matter too much for my 4 and 2 year old daughters. :) Better raw performance, but noisier, and not as nicely finished, I agree with those anticipations. Styling is equal between the two, for me. I'll just have to see how the G37 feels... :shades:
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    actually bought an '09 TL yet? (Not trying to make a point. Just curious)
  • lax29lax29 Posts: 42
    Just read a report that Acura sales for Oct were down 28%, but that the TL was actually up 22% and they are contributing it to the revised 09TL??? It seems to me that maybe they sold more of the 08's last month. Can't imagine that the 09 is selling that well.
  • I now seeing quite a few here-Connecticut and New York
    With the incentives on the '08's, I'm sure those sales figures were bolstered by sales of the remaining '08's, as you said.
    I was just reading the owner's manual for the new TL. From what I can determine, it appears that there is a sensor built into each of the front door handles so that if the remote is within range, the doors will unlock as soon as you touch or grab the handle. Since the system can be set to beep and flash the lights everytime the car unlocks, I'm thinking that may prove to be somewhat annoying if you're, say, moving stuff in and out of the car, and everytime one of the front doors is opened, the car beeps and the lights flash.

I would say Nissan's system, which requires a button on the handle to be pushed in order to unlock, appears to be better.
  • I have had a 2009 TL w/the tech package for 2 wks now. The doors just beep when they are unlocked, after they are unlocked it does not beep again. In addition, you can change the settings so that it will not beep, if that is your choice. I have owned a 2004 G35x and a 2007 ES350 and this car is a great combination of sport and luxury. Love the gadgets and the interior. I also like the way the exterior looks. Great car with no issues. Will let you know how I feel after a few months.
    Thank you for the clarification. Another question I have is, do you have to grab the door handle a certain way, or at a certain spot, or wrap your hand around the whole handle, etc., to trigger the unlocking? What if you just touch the handle with one finger? Also, do you need to wait a split second after touching the handle before it is unlocked. For example, what if you grab the handle and pull on it to open the door all in one motion (as most people do with a regular door)?
  • The sales increase has to be because of 08 models. I bought one last month for $5500 off MSRP($28,988) and 2.9% financing. That's a hard deal to pass up. The dealer said they were flying out. I got one of the last ones.
  • jaymkjaymk Posts: 86
    Hi Bishop4,
    Can You please throw some light on your experience b/w the 07 ES350 and your new ride 09 TL. I have an 08 ES350 in the Ultra Lux Pkg and was wondering is it worth it to get the TL.
    Thankyou
  • I saw those numbers too. What I read implied that the sales of the TL increase was because of the 09 but I think it's all the dealers dumping the 08s on sale. I have only seen one 09 on the road so far and that was a dealer demo with the dealer's name on the windshield.
    It should be interesting to see what happens in the months to come when all the 08 are gone.

Not knocking the 09. Still interested in one, just want to see them come down in price.
    I have yet to see one '09 TL on the road, not even a demo. I've even seen a couple of '09 RL's, which is saying something since we all know how popular the RL has been. :sick:
  • First the base TL w/ tech package is under $40k and a fully loaded ES350 MSRP is well over 40k. The TL is much sportier than the ES350 hands down. The TL corners nicely and the steering wheel has a nice feel. Both cars have nice interiors just different, The ES has the wood while the TL has alum. I'm getting 20 mpg in city driving the same as in the ES. The exterior of the ES is nice looking just a little plain IMO and the TL is not plain. The TL also has a back up camera and hard disk drive that can rip music from your cd's so you don't have to lug cd's around and the 440 w sound system sounds great. And finally 90% of the people I see driving the ES350 are little old men and women and while I know one day I will be one of them, I'm not there yet. :)
    What was your opinion on the 08 TL or was that not even an option for you? I have the 04 TL and do not really see any reason to do the same generation again.

I am also looking at the 09 TL. Nice breakdown of the 2 cars. Thanks
    The '08 does have some nice features not available on the '04 --- fully automatic headlights, tire pressure monitoring, updated Nav, rear-view camera to name a few. IMO, there may be some justification to upgrading to the Type S, but I know what you mean about ponying up the extra cash to get essentially the same car, albeit a newer version.

On the other hand, if you like the model enough to deem it a "keeper", you may want to get the best version. I had bought the first version of the CR-V when it came out in 1997. And I still lament the fact that I didn't upgrade to the 1999-2001 version after they tweaked it with more power, etc., because if I had, I liked the vehicle enough that I probably would have hung on to it and passed it down to my kids, and/or as a foul-weather runabout.
  • jaymkjaymk Posts: 86
    Thanks Bishop4,
  • Bishop4, did u look at the G35 or G37? That to me is the closest competition.
  • I have had an 05 TL since November 04 and love it. I am in he process of getting rid of it and talked to Acura about the 09s. They were trying to get me into an 08 TL because of the discounts but, like you, the idea of driving the same car for another 3 years didn't excite me.

What i did find was that the 08 was much improved from 05. Quieter and smoother being the biggest differences. So I wouldn't be driving the same car as i had been.

I drove the 09 and that improvement was even more noticeable over the 08 and it feels like i am driving a completely new car.

We'll see if the numbers work out when it comes time to pull the trigger. BWM is giving 08s away at great rates although I liked the TL better.
  • I used to own an '04 G35x and while it was a great handling car it rattled like crazy and the dealer could never fix it. I know the new G37 is a different car but I didn't want to chance it. IMO you take the handling of the G and put it with the quality of the ES350 interior and wrap it in a fresh exterior and you get the TL.