Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Although my initial overall impressions are disappointing, I'll reserve final judgment until I actually see the car, and after it's been compared against the competition.

I'd like to see both the FWD and AWD compared against other cars, but I imagine that the comparisons will only involve the AWD version, at least for a while, since that's the one that's most changed. Since Acura expects the FWD version will account for about 75% of TL sales, it would be nice to also see comparisons of this version against 2WD versions of competing models.
  • I was at Acura picking up an MDX today and they said that they had a couple 09 TLs in the back but not avaiable to show or drive. The internet manager said release would be October some time.
  • I know there has been a lot of people that are disappointed with the new design including myself, i have a 2006 which is one of the best looking car on the streets today, i dont understand why they would send a car like this on the street its soo bad nothing flows.
    For sure i will not be getting the new one, i know its too early to say coz i havent seen the car but in my opinion when a car does catch me the first time i saw the picture its not good enough. :mad:

Albert
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Posts: 135
    Has anyone received a 09 TL complete sales brochure??
  • bt06bt06 Posts: 32
    I sure haven't...I signed up for updates - mail and email when they first released the design...still nothing.

I have to see and drive the vehicle before make final judgement, but some info from the company would be nice.

On a side note while getting my recall work done on the TL, I had a new MDX....LOVED IT! If Acura could get off that blasted premium only gas I would buy one.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Posts: 106
    Don't bother with the MDX, you'll regret the purchase. It is not like the Acura's of past - Take a look at the MDX forum and the plethora of problems. I had one and traded it on an 08 TL-S. Pretty sad for what could be a great SUV.
  • You can look up all the specs of the car on acura.com in the future vehicles tab.

or go to this link

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=FutureVehicles_TLPrelaunch

Other than brochures, that's as close as you're getting for now. The upper management of the dealerships are in California as we speak test driving it for the first time. Sales will be doing the same in about 3 weeks and it will be released the following week.
  • As an owner of two Acuras, 05 TL and 06 RSX, I can say that i've been satisfied with both. However, I've been waiting for Acura to make a bold move so I can trade up my 06 RSX...it's a great little car but leaves me lacking for more power. Now I can trade it in for the new 09 TL SH AWD. I love the in your face grill and sharp lines. Now I can play with even more toys as I enjoy the 305hp and 273 lbs-ft of torque while the sophisticated SH AWD calculates the percentage of power/grip going to each wheel...c'mom folks, live a little, dare to be different. Life is short. Aren't you tired of all the same basic designs? I am. That's why come next month, i'll be playing with my new toy... :shades:
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "...c'mom folks, live a little, dare to be different. Life is short. Aren't you tired of all the same basic designs?"

So...did you also buy the Pontiac Aztec? :P
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Posts: 135
    I've had my 2001 MDX for 8 years now and 100,000 miles. It was literally the 34th MDX made - got it on the first day they came out after being on a 6 month waiting list. Over the 8 years I've owned the car, its been the 2nd most reliable car I've ever owned (my personal top prize goes to a 97 Nissan Maxima).

On the flip side, my 2004 TL has been very disappointing in the quality department. Fortunately, at least for others, most TL owners have been very happy with their cars. I guess my TL was made on a "bad hair day".
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    "That's why come next month, i'll be playing with my new toy"

hey, what you do in the privacy of your home is none of our business ;)

Enjoy your stops at the gas station :) It's still fugly on the outside.
  • Anyone that works at an Acura store, like myself, will admit that there were a few 2004 TL's that weren't up to snuff. I guess you can chalk it up to being the first year of a complete makeover.

Edmunds.com gives the 2008 TL the nod for lowest cost of ownership for a car under $45,000, which, I think, says a lot. No car is perfect though. That's why we enjoy buying new ones!
  • Hey, welcome to the forums! Nice to have a member participating who has hands-on product knowledge.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• vaughn4vaughn4 Posts: 106
    Excellent point! Can you imagine all the potential issues with a totally re-done 09 TL? Acura is known for working out the kinks as "they go along". Buyer beware - wait a while, who knows they may change the disgusting grille. :cry:
  • First week of October for the base and middle to late December for SH-AWD.
  • No hope for the new grille. As usual, the more we're around it, the more we'll appreciate it.
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    kinda like the more I hit my head against a wall, the less it hurts each time.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    If Honda haven't changed the grill on the CR-V, I wouldn't hold out much hope they would do anything to the TL. :cry:
  • They may consider changing if sales drop dramatically.
  • Sales won't drop dramatically. They have stopped making 2009 RL's in anticipation of the TL cutting heavily into its customer base.

They have also stopped production on the 2009 MDX and 2009 RDX temporarily until current inventory of the 2008 models is greatly reduced.