Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• neilmanneilman Posts: 42
    Can you be more specific...are you noticing any problems? It is a massive amount of chrome for the front of a car, which usually takes the most wear and tear. I don't know of any other vehicle with a large solid piece of chrome in the front like the TL. It may have to be something to add to the cost of ownership...i.e. having to replace it after every few years or somthing. Doubt that would be cheap...
  • ChasboyChasboy Posts: 186
    Neil, this would not be the first time a manufacturer had to come up with a solution to cure a problem. There is no way the customer should have to pick up the cost of replacing what could develop into a design flaw. When I picked up the car, it had watermarks on the grill. I mentioned this and the detail guys polished them all out nicely. I have since seen similar marks left when washing(didn't dry it thoroughly the first time) and they seemed to come out. Naturally the grill is going to take a lot of bug and road debris hits. All of that has cleaned up well. However, I'm keeping a close watch on it and I might start a 'complaint campaign' to Acura if it seems that long term durability is going to be a problem. We own this car and plan to keep it a very long time. :D
    I fully agree...owners shouldn't have to deal with living with dings / blemishes or spend $$ to replace a grill due to lack of durability or poor design.

Thanks
  • goddess_1goddess_1 Posts: 19
    What is UP with with '09 TL body styling??? Yes, it made an impression but it's not a positive one. That rear is hideous, the front isn't much better, and I just don't understand what happened. Maybe someone from their design team can fill us in . . .
    I understand it's not for everyone...it seems to be a love it or hate it thing. Based on the official sales figures for the month of May the TL is acura's # 1 seller at the moment...so it seems to be catching on. I for one think it is awesome...bold, aggressive, etc. absolutely love it and can't wait to get one in black.
    Agreed Neil, I like the bold styling. Looks fast standing still to me. I also am a fan of the 'bustle back' going all the way back to the second gen. of the Caddy Seville. For me, the TL is the chance to own a great driver's car that is about the size of a BMW 5 series at much less cost. We loved our 325i, but this car is better at everything except mileage, but I knew that going in.
    Going out on a limb, here -- I think the bold styling you speak of is a testosterone thing. Seriously, and not to offend. I don't notice women driving the Seville, CTS, or the Chrysler 300 -- all bold, in-your-face styling. For me, the new TL would be a bit more palatable without that pointy center bumper thing - it reminds me of a cheap plastic toy. I'm sure it drives nice and has the great Acura reliability, but I wouldn't necessarily want to be seen in one.
    Any discussion of style is a version of 'going out on a limb'. Bold styling may indicate testosterone to some and to others it's just bold style...period. Having been a car fan for 50 years, my taste is far too eclectic to be assigned to the testosterone 'category'. Whether one person 'notices' a certain number of instances does not comprise hard data. I would be more interested in true sales figures.
    My wife chose our TL over BMW, Audi, Infinity, VW and Lexus. Her good friend drives a CTS, another, a 300.
    The proof in any car is the driving experience. Not wanting to be seen in one is truly limiting oneself and missing a great ride.
    Our of curiosity...what mileage are you getting?

I'm sure I've come across a number of posts on mileage...but it could take a while to dig it all up...so if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    In mixed driving we are getting 21-22. Long term highway moves up to 24, but we have not taken many highway rides more than 40 miles. Our 325 got 23 around town. When we moved and my wife's commute was approx 25 highway miles with a minimum of local, it actually rose to 28. So, mileage is a bit less, comfort a lot more.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Wow-23 around town, that's acceptable, I had the 2003 Type S and I barely got 17 around town.
    Hey, I'm not ashamed of being limited in my rides. :P

You're right about being interested in the data . . . research shows that men prefer an orange red and women prefer a blue red in paint colors (and clothes.) I stated a generalization -- general, not absolute -- and am pretty confident that sales data will back it up in time.

I remember when a good friend of mine (male) leased the Infiniti FX when they first came out . . . his male acquaintances liked it, his female acquaintances didn't. It's not the first time there is a gender difference in tastes!

BTW, does the new TL still retain the black steering wheel? If so, they should release the Arizona-limited edition TL, sans the black.
    That was my BMW 325. It was amazing with gas, but winter traction and the stick shift got old for us.
  • tommtomm Posts: 31
    i take it the trunk in the awd is too small - even for a few sets of golf clubs?
    I would doubt the trunk is too small for a few sets of clubs. Of course if the bag is like those I saw in "CaddyShack"...well, maybe.
    I don't think personal observation qualifies as a statistical generalization . I'll wait for real stats. :shades:
    My wife also hated the style of every Infiniti.
    The wheel on the taupe interior is black.
    21-22 mpg mixed sounds pretty good to me for the sh-awd...now if I can just get another manufacturer incentive to come out I'll be ready to buy!

Thanks!
    I have to check the sh trunk again....I have a concern... not about the overall space in volume, but, when I saw the one in the dealer showroom it had a variety of uneven levels / surfaces which could make it somewhat difficult to slide a big suitcase in on its wheels without having to turn it sideways to fit. With a large heavy suitcase that could be a pain. Perhaps it was the trunk liner the dealer put in...

I do believe there may be significant differences in the trunk layout (not in volume space) between the sh and base. I need to check it more closely...
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Posts: 33
    I believe that the trunk for the SH-AWD is indeed slightly smaller than the FWD trunk and also has a surface that is not level because the rear differential protrudes into the bottom of the trunk.
    that is true. the AWD trunk is .6 cu ft smaller.
  • cebtebcebteb Posts: 138
    While I've liked the TL for the past few years, my wife was luke-warm to its appearance. Now she is in love with the new TL's look and I'm happy about that.

At the Denver Auto Show in April, there were lines to get into the two TLs they had on display and the lines consisted of both men and women. I seen posts about similar long lines for the TL at auto shows elsewhere in the U.S. I think if the economy wasn't in the tank, the TLs would be flying off the showroom floor at MSRP.

I understand that some fans of the earlier TL's look or euro-styling aren't too thrilled with the new TL's styling, but that is a personal choice. We purchased the a Chysler 300M in its first year and still think it is one of the more attractive cars of recent times. We were appalled at the styling of the Chrysler 300C that replaced it and couldn't see how anyone could like that look. Well, Chrysler has sold a lot of those 300C "hoodlum wagons" to somebody, so bold styling usually finds a niche of followers and detractors. To each his/her own. At least now the TL no longer looks like a high priced Honda Accord.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat tomorrow night, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page. See you there!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    At least now the TL no longer looks like a high priced Honda Accord.

Cannot see any resemblance of 04-08 gen TL to any Accord.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Built on the same FWD platform.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,623
    Interesting, I feel exactly the same: I purchased a '99 300M which I still consider one handsome vehicle. In '05, I traded for an '05 TL which I still find to be one of the best designs on the road.

But, the 300C and the new TL? Not my cup of tea at all. The 300C somewhat grew on me (familiarity breeds acceptance?) but the current TL, most notably the horrid beak, still leaves me appreciating my TL so much more.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Built on the same FWD platform.

Can't "See" any resemblance.
    In the history of automotive brands, new models are frequently based on a platform that already exists. That includes Lexus, Infinity and Acura (also Edsel) . In the beginning, the resemblence was very visible in certain cases, in others, it was more a tweaking of the chassis/engine, and a different body. Over the years, now that they are well established as independent brands, these brands have been able to broaden the separation gap that exists between them and the parent company. To me, the fact that the Lexus ES 350 does not resemble the Camry as much as it once did is a plus. If the TL, as far as my wife and I are concerned, had not changed the design and increased in size and luxury, we would not have purchased this wonderful car.
  • cebtebcebteb Posts: 138
    The non-Sport TLs, to me at least, look like just another trim level for the Accord. When I've rolled up on them from behind in another lane, I've had to check the badging to verify that it wasn't an Accord. Then again, I'm not an Accord fancier, so I don't have its design details down pat in my memory. My point is that the non-sport TLs just weren't different enough to stand out from the lesser base automobile. The new TLs, OTOH, look like a whole different car from any Honda, inside and out. I say again that, based on the interest levels in the new TLs that I've witnessed, I think they would be flying out the door at MSRP if the economy wasn't in the tank.
  • Are the new TLs or Acuras in general set with a slight pull to the right? Not torque steer, but general alignment? Test drove a few that seem to drift right somewhat significantly.