Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• Why not a big fan?

Anyone else have an experience either way with clear bra?
    I see you can buy a do it youself kit very inexpensive. This seem very tempting
  • I had a clear bra on my '06 - it held up well 'til I traded it in last year. Though you may do it yourself, you may be better off spending the extra to have someone experienced do it. There are a lot of curves on that front end... Either way, it did a great job protecting the paint. :)
  • Does anyone know where to get the bright white light bulbs for the license plate?
    I am still trying to figure out why Acura put those outdated yellow bulbs there. I know this is minor but I think it looks so much more modern to have the bright whites over the plates.Lexus, Mercedes and I think Infiniti uses the HID.
  • ChasboyChasboy Posts: 186
    Anyone with an '09 notice that the rear window 'clears itself' of rain on the outside when you ride for awhile even if it's raining? Works better at highway speeds.
  • tcar2tcar2 Posts: 2
    Same for the front. There is a moisture sensor built into the dash board. When it detects fog, it kicks in some cool air to remove it.
    I was referring to the outside of the window. ;)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,339
    How about changing the title of this discussion to "2009-2010 TL," to include the current model year?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's make it Acura TL 2009- so no one has to tell me to change 2010 to 2011 when the time comes. :D

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • I've been looking into the 2010 TL. I built one on the Acura website and went to look at one at the dealership today, before they were open.
    I'm curious about the lack of automatic headlights. The '08 TL
    had this feature where you can set it and forget it. Now, it seems that the 2010 TL does not have that feature. Also, it appears that the tilt/telescope steering wheel is manual instead of power?
    Can anyone confirm these two things for me?
    It does have automatic headlights. Steering wheel is manual.
  • I guess I've been spoiled in my RX350, as it has a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel and rain-sensing wipers. The rain-sensing wipers are one of my favorite features, you just set it and forget it.

On a previous thought from a previous poster who said the current
    gen. TL has auto headlights, are you sure about that? Because when I looked at the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel, I didn't see the word "auto" on the stalk. I'm curious, as I have this feature on my current vehicle( Actually have had it on the last two vehicles) and I like having it.
  • I would have to disagree with you on the body style of the new TL.
    I've seen a few on the road either in front or in the back and I think it looks really nice. The front beak, when I've seen the car approach from behind gives the car a low slung, stealthy look.

One of the few things that I'm not crazy about on the TL is the length of the car at 195 inches. Whoa! I don't believe I can fit this car in my garage.
  • 1st time Acura owner, bought TL Shawd Tech in May 2009. Personally it was sleek design that brought to my attention. I kinda overlook the rest and now disappointed. I was surfing to find if i can change tire to improve ride. Right now i hear the sound of the road under me and bumpy. Im a SUV owner a lexus gx470 and a limited 4runner, so this is our 1st sedan. I would go back to Lexus any day. My lexus gx470 has better ride then the 09TL. The only thing that discourage me from buying another lexus is that there isnt a lexus dealer in town to do maintenance and the toyota dealer locally has poor service. Everytime i do an oil change i have to drive 2 hrs and another 1 hr for the work...that sum up the whole day back and forth. Anyway, i love the tech package . The inside looks awesome. I added the spoiler for front and back . Dealer accidentally add the backup camera so it became complimentary. I also added the 3M plastic to cover the front instead of using bra, so it is clear and transparent. So going back to my issue , anyone change their tires to improve the ride???
    We just came home from our first maintenance on our AWD, and it rides like a dream. I can see where an experienced Lexus owner would find the ride harsh, but coming from a BMW, I'm in 7th heaven. As for changing the tires, it's the profile that is the problem. There just isn't that much tire there. TireRack or Discount Tire website have 'alternative size' listings you might pursue.
    Maximafan(I think it was you). At 195" the TL is 16'3" long. Unless your garage was built for a conestoga, I know of no garages that are that small.
  • Chas, I don't remember the dimensions on my garage, but it is
    a single-car garage. My RX350 is 186 inches long and will fit with no problem, although it's tight getting out of the car, as I have
    shelves built on the walls on both sides loaded with stuff. My previous vehicle, a 2002 Maxima was around 191 inches long and
    I used to have to pull in all the way up and tap the washing machine that is against the front wall to make sure I could safely close the garage door behind it. So I'm not sure if trying to
    put a car longer than 191 inches will work all that well.

Of course, I could just keep the car outside in the driveway, but I've got two large oak trees in the front yard and I get a lot of tree
    sap on my car whenever I leave it outside.

Ah, decisions, decisions!
    Washing machines have a way of changing room dimensions! Garage size really varies with the age of the house. Mine had a garage, but since the house was built in 1923, I'm sure it would have been inadequate for most modern cars. :D
  • Man these cars are getting so technologically advanced it's hard to figure everything out. Just picked up the car this past Friday. What an awesome machine. I still can't figure out how to see the Oil Life %. It says to puch the Set/Reset button repeatedly or hold it for 10 seconds. But no luck? What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • depends which MID menu you are in, if you are in trip computer then you cannot see it usually. In every other screen you hit the set/reset button and it should cycle through the following: odometer, trip a, trip b, oil life %
  • Very few people keep nothing in their garage. So after factoring in the lawn mower, garden tools, 4 mountain bikes, snow tires, hockey net, paint cans, storage shelves, maybe a freezer, those extra inches on the new TL could mean not being able to walk around the car easily, without having to risk messing up your suit. Styling is subjective, and it may grow on you. Size is not.

And nevermind parking in your own garage. Those added inches on the TL will be felt when you're maneuvring in a tight public parkade. IMO, the new TL is unnecesarily big.
    The size of the TL gives people who would like a car with room to carry 4 full sized adults comfortably an opportunity to have a premium, high performance car at a reasonable price without having to apologize to their rear seat passengers.
    My garages stored all of the things mentioned plus much more, including a full workshop, and my cars were always parked inside. These included full size Blazer, Chevys and at one time my Father in law's 1978 Caddy. I always could get around the cars and stay clean.
  • Could'nt agree with you more in regards to fitting a family of four.
    My daughter has claimed the center backseat has her own beacuse she hooks her IPOD and gets to see the information on the NAV screen.My sons interest is the back up camera voice commands.
    MAN this car is sweet.
  • Well, I guess you're blessed with a big garage. Most of us that live in the city are not.
  • Yeah, well, I still say they could've held the exterior dimensions in check without sacrificing too much interior space. Besides, I never heard too many owners of the previous generation TL apologizing to their rear seat passengers. If you have a family of 4 and 2 of them are kids, there are tons of smaller sedans that could accommodate you. And if you really wanted a rec room on wheels, then maybe a minivan is what you need. Acura made the TL big perhaps for visual presence, or maybe as part of their plan to American-sized their lineup, but they didn't do it for interior space.
  • The car is just as big as the RL, E350, Lexus GS 350 and 535- why aren't you complaining about the size of those cars.Acura stated a few months back in a news release that they are moving the TL up to the RL size and the TSX to the previous generation TL size.The RL will be competing with larger sedan when the next generation hits the showroom.

Furthermore, the previous generation TL is by no mean small and nimble, its a heavy car and also wide as well.

Tell me what smaller sedans are out there to accomodate my family- a Passat (yeah right), I also have a 2004 Accord (my wife's) in the family as well. I cannot get her out of my car, she said its night and day when she sits in mine and hers.
  • jtlajtla Posts: 375
    First off, don't get me wrong. I like the TL. Its look has grown on me. In fact, it is currently sitting at top of my short list when my BMW 328i lease is up next March. However, I do have to agree with Boogeyman that Acura has made it unnecessary big in size, especially in length. Here are the dimensions of the cars mentioned:

TL RL BMW 535 Lexus GS MB E350 Volvo XC90

Length 195.3 195.7 191.1 190.0 191.7 189.3
    Width 74.0 72.7 72.7 71.7 73.0 74.7
    Wheelbase 109 110 114 112 110 113
    Frt Legroom 42.5 42.3 41.5 43.5 41.3 41.0
    Rr Legroom 36.2 36.3 36.0 36.4 35.8 34.6
    (Sorry if it is a bit hard to read. I did try to adjust the spacing but not working.)

I included XC90 which I also owned. I used to think the XC90 is big, but the TL is even half foot longer than Volvo XC90, which has a 3rd row seats. With its larger overall size, the TL's wheelbase is the shortest among these vehicles, and its interior room is only marginally larger than some (actually smaller than Lexus GS).

I like the TL, but I wish its dimensions were in line with those of BMW, MB, and Lexus.
  • Those numbers somtimes dont mean anything.I extensively test drove the GS 350 AWD and the car feels cramped compared to the TL.I was actually leaning towards the GS but the price could not justify what I was getting compared to the TL.I would advise everyone to sit in the cars and ignore the dimensions on paper.I shopped almost one year before I purchased the TL.Here are the cars I test drove, E350, 535xi,GS350,G35 and the RL.
  • Great analysis! I was going to pull the same stats, because I knew some of those cars were significantly smaller.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Hey everyone, I was curious to find out, the 2009 TL's have been out over a year now and the 2010 TLs are already here; the 3rd generation TL, especially from 2007-2008 was plagued with a lot of noise/rattle issues, things coming loose and making noise while driving etc

I wanted to find out from 4th generation owner if any of you have had rattle/quality issues with your TL at all or problems with vibrations/buzzing noises in your cars when driving? I'm just curious to see if Acura has begun to address these issues which affected a decent majority of 3rd generation owners because Acura makes a great product and the TL is by no means a cheap vehicle and for a 34k-35k dollar car to get rattles and vibration noises was just unacceptable

Thanks in advance for your posts and information!!!!
  • Let me try to explain this nicely, 'cause, as you know, we gotta play nice here in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Numbers do mean something. Your government spends a huge amount of your tax dollars compiling numbers. You can't just toss aside numbers if they don't fit your argument. If a car feels smaller on the inside than it's numbers would suggest, it's not that the numbers mean nothing. Probably that's more to do with the packaging...the size and shape of the seats, the curvature of the door panels, roofline, etc, etc, etc Acura could certainly have kept the interior "roominess" of the TL, but made the exterior smaller. No one is suggesting that they cut a foot off in length, but a couple of inches or so off the front and the back would make a world of difference. A lot of that exterior size is done for styling purposes. I think the length to wheelbase ratio is a real telling stat. The TL has a longer length but a shortish wheelbase. Aside from interior room, that gives it a somewhat awkward long overhang, which does nothing for it's aesthetics, practicality, or dynamics. What exactly is the TL? Full-size or mid-size? Is it sports sedan or cruiser? It's huge for a mid-size. It's exterior dimensions encroaches on full-size. But as a full-size, the interior and trunk capacity should be even roomier. It rides too harsh to be a cruiser, but it's not athletic enough to be considered a serious sports sedan. To me, it kind of symbolizes the confusion that's going on at Honda right now. They've gotten away from building the type of cars that made them what they were. They were good at building smaller, efficient, sensible, practical, but fun to drive cars. Now, they are trying to upsize their products, to be "edgy", to be "bold". They can almost pass for a division of General Motors. But the results show in their sales. They have now resorted to stuffing consumers' pocket with rebates to try to sell a lot of their models. There's a $5K rebate on the TL! Previously that's unfanthomable for a brand new first-year Honda/Acura model. You look at some of their new offerings....Crosstour, ZDX, Insight, the TL to a certain degree, and you go "what the heck is that about?"

Have a nice day now. And a great big Hello to our friendly hosts!