Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    LOL, I am...
    I couldn't be happier, actually.

But, I accept that fact that I have an extreme love for cars, and I know that in 3-4 years, I may have wandering eyes.
    I still love the look of the TL and truely hope the new design doesn't stray too far.
    As much as I love my G, all cars get old, build up miles and wear/tear and need to be replaced.

All I'm saying is that I'll have my eyes on the new TL, whatever Infiniti does next, Lexus, BMW.... and the Nissan GT-R!!! :shades:
  • Any guesses on what the "top of the line" TL is going to run us? If, in fact, it does have sh-awd, 300+ hp, adjustable suspension and all the other stuff you can currently get, my guess is around $43,000.
  • If it starts to wonder in the mid 40K range, then its a no brainer for me- HELLO GS350.
  • I estimate the new base TL which should be fully loaded to be around 35k and 38k with Nav. Any higher than these figures and I will be getting a 328 or 335 as they price out at 33k and 41k. BMW also has fairly flexible leasing options.
    I'd expect it to jump a couple K.
    I bought an 06 MDX, fully loaded.
    MSRP was 45K but I landed it for 39K.

Than the new MDX came out and it's now going for 47K.
    There wasn't a lot of people reporting a $6,000 discount on the 07 MDX until the uproar calmed down and the dust settled.
    Fact is, the new 07 MDX has a good amount of little issues that have more than a few owners ticked off.

If history repeats itself, the fully loaded 09 TL, with all of our hopes and dreams included, should be somewhere in the region of $40-$41,000.
    And again, once the dust settles, prices will begin to drop.

As with all of Acura's first year releases, there will be bugs to iron out.
    I, for one, will not be interested in dropping 40,000 of my hard earned dollars on a first year Acura release.
    I'll wait for the "gotta have it" guinea pigs to work out the bugs and I'll reap the benefits a few years later. ;)
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    In Acura fashion, it won't "start" in mid 40s, probably will end up topping out in low 40s. You won't get much in a GS350 for that price.
  • What kind of issues have come up with the MDX?
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    The 09 TL, even if fully loaded with all the bells and whistles, would probably max out below 40k (about 38-39.5k) MSRP. Anything higher -- 40k is a MAGIC CUTOFF -- will be a disincentive because most current or potential TL owners would not be interested in that price range, as TL is only an entry lux car.
  • Agreed.

Acura is getting carried away with their pricing. Doesn't the TL use the same chassis as the 2008 Accord sedan? They start out at 20,360. Seems like a big markup for a 40,000 dollar TL.

I wonder how well AWD will allow the TL to perform? I hope it handles better than the RL which has been described as wallowy.
    I will be surprised if Acura can price TL with SH-AWD for less than $40K. Acura doesn't do packages and options like others. As with TL-S, you can't get it without NAV, thats an additional $2200 right there.

That said, if TL/SH-AWD delivers, there will be a market for it. It won't be the bread and butter model carrying sales. So, Acura will still need base models to be around $35-36K, about where they are right now.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    SH-AWD is already available in most of Acura's lineup, a la RL, MDX and RDX. Acura has already spent the R&D on this technology, and spreading it to the TL (or even the TSX) should not be a very costly item. I think a 1.5k to 2k markup is justifiable and acceptable to those buyers who appreciate or need AWD, like those living in the snowbelt.

As with most cars, MSRP or something close to it for a substantially improved and refreshed model will probably stay for at least 6 months, after which it will drop, and depending on the market demand and competition, may even drop by as much as 10% come the 9th month. So, MSRP of 40k may translate to FMV of 36-37k by year end, which, in its full loaded configuration, the 09 TL will still remain competitive (price-wise) with other entry lux cars.

Well, let's hope that Acura will put in more technology and gizmos in the 4th gen-09 model to make it very appealing, just like when the 3rd gen-04 model made its debut. I believe the 04 and 05 models were the best selling entry lux car.
    The manager at my local Acura dealer has told me that Acura is looking to enter the "Luxury" segment and is hoping to be in line with makers like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc.

This was his response when I was discussing current pricing, and the direction in which it appears to be going.

Only time will tell, but if I had to guess, a base TL may come in under 40K, but the dream TL we're all talking about here will never come in that low.
    What kind of issues have come up with the MDX?

Go visit the MDX board!

1382 of 1383 Re: MDX Issues [JBaumgart] by vaughn4 Sep 14, 2007 (4:27 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Replying to: JBaumgart (Sep 14, 2007 12:43 pm)

Good point! The downside to sub par ratings in Consumer Reports is that the resale value of our problem prone MDX's may take a hit. I am a Consumer Reports subscriber and will rate the problems I'm having on my 07 MDX accordingly.

Acura better wake up and take care of these problems AND LISTEN TO THEIR CLIENTS!!! They are not listening!!! We are not talking a problem here and there, we are talking problems across the board. Very un Acura like. Is there any quality control there anymore???
  • rnmomrnmom Posts: 32
    My current lease will expire Feb 08 does anyone know when Acura will change the body of this vehicle?
    Since we have seen spy pics of what looks like a completed vehicle, Spring 2008 sounds more like it.
  • rnmomrnmom Posts: 32
    were can I view the spy pictures
    We've all seen the spy pics by now, but they're hard to go by.

After seeing the new Accord, I'm a little worried about the size of the 09 TL.
    I hope it doesn't grow as much as the Accord has.
    The Accord is now in the "Large Sedan" category.
    The TL would lose a lot of what it has going for it with all that extra weight.
    IMO, too much of a big deal is being made out of Accord's size. Sure it is bigger, but it is not THAT big. It is still a half foot shorter than "large" cars like Taurus and Impala, and is within an inch or two of ES350.

That said, TL has traditionally been slightly smaller than Accord, and I won't be surprised if it continues to be.

As for weight, Accord (V6) weighs about the same as current TL. And with additional features, refinements and power, the next TL is bound to gain weight. This is an industry-wide norm. CTS gained a whopping 400 lb with the redesign, up from 3600 lb to over 4000 lb. At almost 3700 lb, The new G37 is over 100 lb heavier than Acura TL Type-S. Unfortunately, that is where I expect the next TL to be.
  • Speaking of the new accord, I saw a white one this morning in the Commuters Parking Lot and I have to say I like it.It was a V6 sporting the double chrome pipes that and an aggressive stance- I liked it.
  • I have just located the weight distribution specs for the MT 08 TL.

autos.yahoo.com/acura_tl_type_s_6_spd_mt-specs/?p=ext - 97k

It lists 60/40 front to rear and 62/38 for the AT. If the 09 is similar in these ratios then the TL will not be handle as well as the 3 series even with SH-AWD. BMW has been perfecting the handling of their vehicles with a rear wheel drive layout since the 60's with the 2002 and others.

Honda & Acura must create a better front to rear balance. Also the engine needs much more torque available in the 2000 3000 RPM range Get with the program Honda or get left in the dust!
    Also the engine needs much more torque available in the 2000 3000 RPM range Get with the program Honda or get left in the dust!

Its not the engine. Drive the TL with 6MT and see if you have similar perception. The problem is the way Honda gears its automatic transmission. The "program" needs to be about proper transmission ratios (which means, Honda has to venture into 6AT arena with the same aggression that BMW and Lexus (IS/GS not ES) have done.
  • dude, I drive an 07 TLS MT and it seems sluggish in that range. I bet the base TL auto is even weaker at low RPM. Wouldnt a DOHC help torque matters or maybe a clean diesel engine option? BMW offers 300 pounds of torque at 1400 RPM. That is massive but I wonder how reliable that will turn out to be. :lemon: ">

Anyone?
    Acura TL Type-S delivers 90% of its peak torque at 2000 rpm. A DOHC isn't going to do any better than that.

The new Accord Coupe/6MT seems to be using identical design to it (albeit slightly detuned), and with that combination, expect almost 0.67g around 2000 rpm. A lot of cars, especially front drivers, don't have that kind of thrust even at peak.

Here is a link to TL-S dyno. Thats about as flat a torque curve as you'll see anywhere. And has the broadness factor too. Note that there isn't a whole lot of difference between peak torque and what it delivers at just 2000 rpm.

Diesel will get torque, but less power and with reduced refinement.
  • your link gives this message
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access //article_files/686783/07vs04tl_6mt.gif on this server.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apache/1.3.31 Server at sohc.vtec.net Port 80

can you post this in some other format?

diesel will seem more powerful, provide better gas mileage, and I have never heard of reduced refinement in a clean diesel. Where are you coming from with that line of logic?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hmm, the gif displays for me. :confuse:
  • Ok, you have to be registered with the Temple of VTEC website then you can view it.

You are right that torque curve is impressive.

:)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Really? I didn't think/know that I was! :blush:
  • Pat you are the host here, what is the ideal sports luxury car?