Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    edited May 2010
    sween....sounds like you're a GM fan. Nothing wrong with that. Aside from a Cadillac I owned several years ago (an STS), which was a nightmare, the GM vehicles I've had were generally all good cars/trucks.

Not dissing the LaCrosse. It's a big step in the right direction for GM. Not my cup 'o tea. But, if someone is shopping in that category (like a Lexus ES), it's worth looking into. Can't comment about the Regal, as I've only eyeballed one at a car show. Sounds interesting.....but not interesting enough for me to seriously look at one.

I really like my TL (2nd one I've owned). After shopping Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, even a Ford SHO, all of which were generally in the same price range as the TL, I chose the TL SH AWD as the car I spent my own money on. Actually, the Audi A4 was a little less. The A6 was more.

If the LaCrosse, or Regal are your desire, I'd at least look at the Lexus IS/ES, which are the main competitors.
    Just my observations on the cars I test drove....

-MB C class 4 matic......truthfully, the only thing that car had going for it was the Mercedes logo. It just didn't compete on any other level with any of the others I test drove.

-Audi....the A4/5/6 are very nice cars. The 4 cyl turbos are good motors, but really can't compete with the other 6 cyl variants in the other cars. Plus, I still don't trust their reliability. The 6 cyl A5 and A6 were nice, too. But once you option them up to the level of the TL SH AWD w/ tech (what I have), they go well over the cost of a TL. BTW...the only manual tranny you could find outside of the TL SH AWD was on the A5. Other makes/models may advertise they make them, but you can't find them on the lot.

-BMW 335i....very nice car. Cramped. BMW is having some fuel pump issues with that model right now. Plus, equipped like for like, were about $10K more than the TL SH AWD once all the negotiations are done. This is a car that's subsidized by BMW with attractive leases. It's the car to lease (so you can get out of it before the warranty expires). I purchase my cars, not lease them. So, that wasn't very attractive to me. I've owned a BMW in the past. Maintenance and repair after the warranty is up will be a shock to most with the amount of money it costs.

-Infiniti G37x.....my 2nd choice. Compared to my TL, the engine sounded coarse. There's something up with their 7-speed trans, too. It seemed it could never find the right gear to be in. Still, a very nice car.

As has been pointed out, the TL has great resale, and is bulletproof. It's fast. SH AWD is the real deal when it comes to handling. The seats are supremely comfortable. Steering is great. And, you'd be hard pressed to find a car that's better built.
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    Sweendogy.... Spoken from currently owning two Acuras 2007 TLS and 2010 TSX v6 w/Tech. The Acura is no Honda Accord or Honda... period. Owned Hondas in the past... sorry no dice there! Acuras are now produced on a separate platform and have separated themself from Honda. http://owners.acura.com/ Resale value is better than the rest. Reliability is Bulletproof! 5 star crash ratings on all and the BEST Nav system on the maket ... PERIOD! Lexus sux because you can't work it while the car is in motion and is still qwerky. American cars are getting better but I wouldn't take one for free to be honest. Resale on American cars are a joke! And to be honest the TL -SH AWD will smoke any Buick Lacrosse... are seriously kidding me here? :P
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Well said.
    When I shopped around I was looking at the GS350 (really wanted this one), Mercedes E350 4MATIC, BWM 535XI and the G35X. I think I gave my opinion on these sometime ago.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Posts: 106
    I think, and know you are right on! I could have written this myself! One thing, My statement leading folks over to the Buick link was to show folks that Acura was not alone when it came to How It Made The Car Look! Those that love the style of the TL, should love the buick as the concept is very close to the same mold.. And I still prefer the Acura grill to any Buick grill.

Other then the styling, the rest of the car well, I have no interest in. GM is leading on the bells and whistles electronics shown by their recent TV advertisement where they show you PAUSING the audio on the AM-FM radio.. Nice idea!! But in the end, you just want to get in the car, drive it, and not worry what will break next.

A good friend of mine got a 5 series BMW 3 months ago. Traded in his 2005 MDX... He has had 3 major things go wrong with the electronics, and has decided to turn the car back in under the California Lemon Law. He will go and get, that is right, a 2011 TL. He has an extra car, so he is going to wait for the 2011 TL...

I talked to the San Diego Acura dealer this week, they have no information on the 2011 TL. They said they would call me when they arrive in a few months so I can come check it out.. :)
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    How the hell could you possibly even know that they are as reliable as the TL, ES, etc etc? You couldn't possibly. The new LaCrosse has only been out a year now. There is no way to know at this point what its long-term reliability is. Your jumping the gun! Its going to be another 4-5 years from now, till we can see if GM really has gotten their act together and the long-term reliability of the new LaCrosse will even hold a candle to the reliability history of the ES, TL, etc!

Because as we all know, and I know I'm not the only one who experienced it, GM's biggest problem has always been long-term reliability after the 3-4 year mark when the warranty expires. A good majority of GM owners, myself included, pre 2009 had our cars constantly fall apart after 3-4 years, spending thousands upon thousands of dollars keeping them going when they were only 4-6 years old

Its going to be a couple more years to see if GM's crappy long-term reliability pattern has changed now that they have restructured and completely changed their products!
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I find it interesting that so many car mags and others compare the TL to BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Infiniti G, etc. I guess this is done because of price. I just leased my first TL, a non-tech SH-AWD, and when I was shopping, I looked at BMW 5, Infiniti M,Volvo S80, Audi A6, Cadillac CTS, My view is that the TL compares favorably to all these models in ride, comfort, room, engine, interior, etc. And the TL price is significantly lower. I like all the above models, but could not justify the higher prices. The BMW has an incredible combination of ride and handling, but not significantly better than the TL. The Audi interior is about as good as you can get. But the interior of the TL, while not Audiesque, measures up failry well. The new Infiniti M also has a great interior, excellent engine, and decent ride. But really isn't an overall better car, in my opinion. And the CTS, I just did not like. Not knocking it, just not for me. And the Volvo was just boring, though a good car.

When you put the new TL up against the premium midsize European or Japanese sedans, I think it measures up quite well. And that is why it was my car of choice.
    marcus.....I've always felt that the TL is kind of a "between" car. It's slotted right between the BMW 3 and 5 Series. Same for the A4 and A6. Although, I think it has more in common with the 5 series and the A6 than it does with the 3 Series and the A4.

I can't make the Buick connection, however. I don't know of anyone who owns a TL that cross shopped a Buick, of any of their models. Again, I think GM has made it clear that they were targeting the Lexus IS/ES with Buick. Even there, I can't see where a Lexus buyer would wander into the Buick showroom. Maybe someone who's looking at a CTS but is put off by the Cady's price would move to a LaCrosse.

I just don't see someone looking at a TL, an Audi, a BMW, an Infiniti, going over to the Buick showroom. Sween is the only person I've heard of who would do that.
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I actually did look at the LaCrosse. When I car shop, I use it as an excuse to test drive as many models as I can, even those I am not really interested in. I had seen it at the auto show and liked the look. Other than the A pillar issue and lack of power in the 3.0 litre engine (only one offered in AWD version), it is a very nice car, but not my cup of tea. I do think it has some advantages over Lexus ES, but it is totally different type of car than TL. So I agree, hard to see folks seriously cross shopping both. It is tough to get over Buick stigma of being large cushy cars for those over 70. But GM is working on that. We will see how the new Regal plays out.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    And I love the steering feel (as well as the steering wheel).

Talk more about the steering. Some car magazines have said that 09, 10 TLs have "numb" steering. Wife and I have an 04 and 07 TL and are waiting to see if Acura will fix up styling and perhaps other stuff such as steering before we will consider another Acura. Our 04/07 TLs are not as large as new gen and are probably somewhat more nimble. Do not especially want more heft, Don't need more space in back seat, who uses that much anyways. Have a Ody van for utility, hauling people.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    edited May 2010
    "... the TL has great resale, and is bulletproof. It's fast. SH AWD is the real deal when it comes to handling. The seats are supremely comfortable. Steering is great. And, you'd be hard pressed to find a car that's better built."

Probably all true. It's easy for me to believe what you say because my wife and I are the original owners of a '99 TL with 124,000 miles. It's been very reliable, though not extremely, and we're generally very pleased with it. Our friends own a '05 TL (the generation between ours and yours), and it's very nice. However, I can't get past the styling of the new one, especially the rear. Further, that spoiler that comes with the back up camera looks really ugly to my eyes. Finally, increased the size and weight of the latest generation TL is another minus for me. Sorry.

By the way, we also own a '07 A4 Q 2.0T. So far, so good, but at 38,000, and still under warranty, the jury is still out on the cost of ownership of this car. We love the styling, though, and the interior is very elegant and tasteful. The driving dynamics are sportier than our TL, as one would expect. It's nimbler than our TL, and corners better. However, since we own it we are concerned with it future reliability, since the warranty expires next January.

Incidentally, I realize that a '07 AWD vs. a '99 FWD anything is a bit of an apple and oranges comparison, but it can still be useful.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    "... I think GM has made it clear that they were targeting the Lexus IS/ES with Buick."

The LaCrosse competes with the ES, but not the IS. The ES is a comfortable FWD cruiser, while the IS is RWD architecture. It's also available with AWD. So, the LaCrosse and ES lend themselves to be cross shopped. By contrast, the IS is Lexus' answer to the BMW 3-Series. Of course, people are free to compare any car with any other car, but I'm just clarifying models that are direct competitors.

The CTS competes with the 3-Series on price, and the 5-Series on size.
    x....dunno about numb steering. I've got a SH AWD version. I love the steering. I love the feel of the thick steering wheel even more.

I remember when "Bangle" restyled the current gen of BMWs (he's since left BMW), the uprising was similar as to what we're hearing now about the current TL styling. Those who loved the previous gen TL (3G) didn't like that the current gen (4G) became bigger, moved up market, and used styling that is so bold. Personally, I like where Acura is going with their styling....particularly the TL. I also liked the styling Mr. Bangle did on the BMWs during his time there. Many "old school" BMW people (just like some "old school" Acura folks) didn't want to see changes. That's OK.

I like Audis. During my test drives (A4/5/6), I felt that the older interiors for Audi were better than the ones in the newest versions (A6 was quite nice, however). But, if it were my money, and VW/Audi's reliability were much improved, I'd be looking at a VW CC instead of an Audi A4. The CC looks better. Costs less. It has practically the same drivetrain (4 cyl turbo motor).

Again, these are all my opinions. Others like Buicks. Some like the CTS. Some like the 3 Series. Bottom like, there's a lot of good choices in the general segment.
    Funny that this topic is being discussed right now. Took my son out to breakfast this a.m. We're coming out of the restaurant after finishing, and another couple who had left right after us made a point to come over to my TL to compliment us on how nice it was. BTW, after we chatted a bit, the couple got into what looked to be a year or two old Audi A4.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Posts: 106
    On Friday morning I was returning home on the San Diego freeway. I was in the Fast Lane, call it lane 1, next to me in lane 2 was a big dodge king cab truck, and in lane 3 next to him was another white SUV. So we were basically all side by side. I am sure you can figure out what happened next! :sick:

Well the vehicle in lane 3 started drifting into lane 2, YES CELL PHONE, and the big Dodge in lane two imediatly started coming into my lane, Big Time! I had to do two things real fast, one move over to the left, that is about 5 feet of roadway before the center divide wall, and brake. So a combination of turning left and breaking took place, but moving left was still the key to not letting him hit me. These things happen in a few seconds, but the TL handling was just something I never experienced and something you don't duplicate on a test track.

Not only did the TL move left like it was on solid track, the breaking was incredible. I came within a foot of hitting the side concrete divider wall but that did not happen due to the steering and breaking stability of the TL. So I was safe and the other two big slow responding trucks hit each other.

Thank you Acura TL-SH-AWD for allowing me to maneuver in such a way that I avoided a near death experiance.. Took about 24 hours for my nerves to settle down. At 62, I remember what my drivers ed teacher told me what was the most important thing about driving" Anticipate critical situations that other drivers could get you involved in and most importantly "watch out for the other guy"... :) :) :)
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,106
    sorry about that TL - owners -- but your new TL 2009 and 2010 models is something of a mystery for me and the writers of every major auto mag. good car yes-- but again I ask how many came with the TL-S (SHAWD, or whatever) package. How many came with a 6speed trans?? Sorry guys but the TL is an accord-just uglier - look at the stats on the car-- it uses FWD and the same components as the standard accord. Just like the TSX. Good cars- yes.nice interior.-- service quality top notch-- good resale- nice lease rates. But look at this lineup -its closer to buick then BmW-- How many did they sell outright or are they all leased? i live in Boston and see maybe one a week - usually in standard grey non- TLS rentacar form. The old TL was bold this one is just bloated. The LaCross is a gunning for the ES-- but guess what acura owners so is your TL. :shades:

glad your ok RLONN1
    rlonn...glad to hear you're OK. I took a trip via the twisties in the back roads of Ahmish country yesterday. Gotta be careful to look around the next bend for buggies. But, had a little run with a G35s coupe through some two lanes. First and foremost, this part of the country is pretty this time of year. 2nd, the roads we were on make for great fun. We went toe-to-toe on these roads and had a blast doing it.

Didn't know who the owner of the G was until we both stopped to get some lemonade at a stand. Introduced ourselves. We talked for like 30 minutes.....both of us gushing about each others capabilities in our chosen cars. Both thoroughly inspecting the other's car.

Finishing our lemonade, we both were back on the two lane back roads for about another hour. Finally, we both parted ways with big waves and thumbs up for just a great afternoon of driving in two highly capable cars in the same environment.

What a great way to spend a beautiful spring day.
    billy....I've toyed with a GS 350 (AWD) a couple of times when I was in the market. I can't quite put my finger one why I didn't like them as much as the TL (SH AWD). They're nicely made cars. They just didn't offer the same driving excitement as the TL did. Then, there were quirks about the GS that I couldn't wrap my arms around (like the frustrating NAV).

All-in-all, the GS is a very nice car. It just didn't float my boat. I think if you like a Lexus with a little bit of sport thrown in, the GS wouldn't be a bad choice. But, I think you'd have to be a big Lexus fan to really warm up to the GS, IMHO.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Graphic- I am old school TL, I had the 2003 type S. I purposely passed on the 3rd generation because I thought it blended in with the accords and camrys too much. I still had hope for the mid year refresh but when they came out with the type s, the wheels were just a total turn off and they still kept it FWD. Glad I waited for this SH-AWD, it is a pleasure to drive and the entertainment aspects are spectacular.
    edited May 2010
    billy...you and I think alike. The 3G TL-S was a car I thought about replacing my '04 TL with. But, like you, I thought the wheels were a bit over the top. And, it was still FWD. Although Acura had really tamed the torque steer of having a powerful drivetrain and FWD, it was still there.

Enter the SH AWD of the 4G. Initially, my dealer had a big private invitation party for all of their customers (and former customers) to unveil the 4G TL. It was a nice affair. They had it catered by one of the premiere caterers in my area. No hotdogs and burgers, but they served seared tuna steaks, NY strips, good wine. And then topped it off with brief test drives of the new TLs (about 10 minutes). I liked the base TL a lot. At the time, the SH AWD wasn't in the dealerships yet. Once they came in, my sales person called me to offer a test drive. It was wonderful. Once I did a proper test drive, I was hooked. I wasn't in the market at the time ('09), but put the SH AWD on my short list.

A year later, I started looking around at the TL's competition.....the Benz C300 4 matic, the G37x, 335ix, the Audi Quatto, even the Taurus SHO. Didn't like any of them as well as the TL SH AWD. Once I did a 2nd (much longer) test drive of it, in short order I made up my mind I preferred the TL SH AWD over all the rest of those other cars I test drove.

I pulled the trigger. After a few months, I feel even better that I made the right decision.

I get compliments every day it seems. Whenever I park it somewhere, it never fails that someone will come up to me and ask me about it.

Glad you're enjoying yours.