Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• Did they manage to tame that torque steer on your TLS? My '05 had a moderate dose and when I put the snows on, watch out! The SH-AWD on my MDX is torque-steer-free and I assume will perform the same on the '09 TL.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    You guys are dating yourselves...

Even I feel young now! :P
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "Honda killed the 6MT with the Accord..."

It's still offered with the '08 V6 Coupe, is it not?
  • Yeah, i just went to the honda website and they offer manual on all the trim levels.
    But the 6MT on only the V6 Coupe, I think.
  • Sigh, yes. The 6MT is only available with the coupe and for some reason it gets worse mileage ratings...not to mention it is kinda ugly. I seriously thought about the coupe but occasionally my parents (in their 70's) and my nephew come to visit and I can easily cart them all around in a sedan. Also of note was that when I bought my TL-S there were no "deals" on the new Accord. I picked up my TL-S for just a little more than the MSRP of the new Accord. Then consider the cache and extra luxury of the Acura....well enough said.

The TL-S does have some torque steer, and if you want to goose it around a turn or especially if there is a puddle or some other less than perfect traction surface......HOLD ON! I usually try to make sure I have both hands on the wheel if I am going to nail it. From a straight line, hardly a tug.

Sad to think that Audi can offer a AWD performance sedan with a manual, but nobody else can. An AWD 300+ HP TL-S 6MT would be quite a package!
  • BMW offers AWD performance with manuals.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    There will be a FF and SH-AWD model. The SH-AWD model will get a larger engine. Rumored to be a 3.5 and 3.7L engine. XM weather info will be offered on the navigation model. Enhanced navigation will RDX, RL, MDX like knob. The 3.7L engine will suppsoedly have over 300 HP. More like 306 but there is only so much you can do with vtec. Supposedly it will have A-vtec but who knows. 6 Speed auto is still in the cards. The FF model will probably get a variant of the current TL-S engine.
  • Are these reliable rumors, or just some guys making stuff up? My Acura guys don't know anything about two drive trains for the TL. There will be two for the TSX. :confuse:
  • Yes they do, but unfortunately they can't seem to offer the performance engines like the 335( I think). They are also priced well above Acura. They are great cars, and I considered a pre-owned 335 or Audi S4 but even a 2005 model wasn't competitive with a new Acura. I'm sure I will keep my TL-S for a long time, I am quite happy with it, it has just the right compromises for my driving style.
  • I wish we had the option of sirius or xm, I like sirius so much better i let the xm lapse and i have my sirius receiver perched on the vent in the type s.....
    Supposedly there is a kit that can convert the XM to sirius. Someday XM and Sirius will merge and that could mean having both XM and sirius program. Well they wont merge for now.
  • Yeah, I read those rumors over on TOVT. They're not listing their source and my acura guys don't know anything about two drive trains on the '09 TL. Could they be confusing it w/ the '09 TSX? BTW, tough loss for those Pats fans. If memory serves me correctly, we have some New Englanders on this forum. My condolences... :sick:
  • I just attended the Detroit International Auto show and asked one of the Acura reps. They said the 2009 Acura TL will be released in late fall of 2008 with the AWD that the RL has. It will also have a little more HP. I hopr this helps. :shades:
  • I am pretty sure that Acura is going to unviel it at the upcoming NY Auto show in March (a bit early this year-usually held in April).

They have followed the same trend ever since the 2nd Generation TL.
    Maybe a concept/prototype but usually not a production vehicle.
  • go the the acura website and look at future vehicles. they posted a pic of the car, along with tech features (SH-AWD, heated/vented seats, 300HP).
  • thats the rl dude. however that is one ugly front end.
  • Boy, I sure hope the TL Type-S isn't exactly like that. They better top the 300 HP mark and possibly utilize the turbo format from the RDX! The AWD needs more power and this car needs much better performance to take the leed back in this market. Bring the noise Acura or we will drop you!
    No turbo, please!
  • Hello everyone! I am so new to this, but I am looking for a place where I can learn as much as possible about the Acura TL before I purchase. I currently own a 2002 Accord EX and have been eyeing the TL for a couple of years. I am trying to wait for the 09's to be revealed before I decide against the 08's.

What can I expect from an 08 if I purchased now?
  • Why buy the Acura? the accord ex v6 is as better or should I say a step above the current TL (not the type S).My sister bought it and I drove it last weekend for an extended period and I was taken aback by the how sweet the ride and comfort is.

Although its not for me, I would definitly recommend this car for someone shopping the regular TL.Also, you can save your self money for the long and short run.

Please note- I am not bashing the current TL (I am a past owner of the previous generation type S) but buying an Accord V6 would be prudent in my estimation. I am actually waiting to see what Acura has to offer on the next generation TL. If I dont like the offering- then off I go to either Lexus for the GS 350 or to Mercedes for the E350 (Sport model only).
  • gasnetgasnet Posts: 49
    You can expect the most enjoyable car to drive.I have a 05 TL and love it so much i'm getting a 08.I would not buy a 1st year car.However a 08 can be had for a great deal right now.Yes the G35 is faster but not much and if you live in the north G35x little slower.A TL handles better than a G35 (read road & track)Has more room,and a better ride and build quality, for less money.IF the new TL is going to set the standard as it did in 2004 you are going to pay for it $$$$. BUY A 2008 without nav.The Navi isn't worth the money.If it was harddrive based it can do xtras like hold 9 gigs worth of music and other things a dvd based system can not.I have one in my TL and my wifes garmin works better.
  • gasnetgasnet Posts: 49
    The new accord handles like a ridgeline.Not as fast or fun as a TL. Its a Buick from Honda. And forget about leasing this car right now (rip off)
  • I have taken the 08 TL on a test drive twice and I think they drive hard or rough, not as smooth as I expected from a luxury sedan. The 08 Accords look awful!! I know its backwards, but I look at body style first then go for performance. If I don't like the way a car looks and I can't see my self enjoying it, then nothing else matters. So, I am curious what the 09 TL will look like. I think I'll wait. I hope they smooth out the ride...I hear that a lot of people say its is a fun ride.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Besides the TL, I would also take a look at a loaded Accord; the two are very different in real life compared with on paper (the Accord is larger) so I would try each and see which one you preferred.

I would also consider the TSX, too.

I personally would lean towards either Acura since the deals are pretty good right now (whereas the Accord deals aren't as good)
  • A V6 Accord auto to auto is on par with the current TL in regards to speed.
  • Looks are subjective-I personally like the lines on the Accord.
    The coupe is attractive. The sedan....not so much! Also too damn big.
    No Turbo Engine. 2 v6's are likely. A base 3.5 FWD and a 3.7L SH-AWD model. The SH-AWD model will get the 3.7L 09 RL engine. Base model will get the TL Type-S motor.