Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,100
    jtla....you can zoom in and zoom out, vertically, or horizontally oriented, even change perspective (north up, or direction up). No 3d buildings, which I didn't care about anyway. Just get me there and back.

You look at something like the Ford NAV (the one in the SHO is what I've experienced) has the graphic buildings. TL won't do that. In the end, I just need to get to an address or POI. The TL does that well. And, it probably has the best voice recognition of any system I've ever encountered.
  • jtlajtla Posts: 375
    I am not sure what you meant by "zoom in and zoom out, vertically, or horizontally oriented". If vertically, wouldn't that be 3D map? I did not pay attention to GPS when I did the test drive. I will probably go to a dealer to check it out this weekend.

I can't care less about 3D building, either. But 3D map (aka birdview map) is quite basic for GPS system. Most, if not all, portable units such as Garmin, Magellan, TomTom all have it. I like 3D map because it kind simulate the view looking out windshield so it is easier to follow.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Posts: 106
    Weather is important to us here in San Diego. We need to know when the temperature drops below 70 degrees so we can run home and turn on our heat! ;)
    rlonn...San Diego is one of my favorite cities. Traffic is much more useful to me than weather. But, the NAV does both. Plus, you can use while on the move.,...another plus.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Except for the taillights, I don't think much is changing on the rear, but there is talk that they might be putting the 6spd auto in, like the one in the ZDX and MDX, so here is hoping they do that. If not, then you'll have to wait for the 5G to get the 6spd auto!
    Acura is typically really closed lipped about changes to upcoming models. If they go by their normal schedule, I expect a refreshening for the 2012 MY. Probably some minor tweaks here and there until then. That's just a guess, though.
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    edited July 2010
    This may be an old topic on this thread, but I'm just now looking at possibly buying a 2010 TL. There are several companies offering an after-market grill, a kind of silvery mesh look, and I'm wondering if any of you have done that and if you were happy with it.

The present grill is not my favorite thing about the car, but I think I'm getting used to it as I see more of them on the road. Still, I might opt for a grill change, or just wait until the 2012 refresh and see what they do with it. The one that caught my eye is a kind of gray (Giagori, or something like that) with a taupe interior, just the base model. Haven't driven one yet, but they look impressive.
    edited July 2010
    Welcome to the forum austin.

There are a couple of different ways you can go. Acura makes a midnight chrome grill and tail piece combined that looks very sharp. It's not a bright chrome, but has a dark "tinge" to it. It's "shinier" than the standard brushed aluminum grill. I actually have the midnight chrome grill on my White Diamond Pearl TL, I liked the look so much.

There's another aftermarket grill called "ron-jon". Not bad looking. It's just that I think it makes the TL look like a run of the mill Accord. Check out their web site and make your own decision.

Some people actually painted their grill the same color as the rest of their car. Again, this is all personal opinion, but to me that makes the car look a lot cheaper to my eyes. Again, some like that look, though.

I have Taupe interior. I wanted to break up the normal look of all black. I like it. Umber would be another color to look at, if you can find a TL with the umber interior.

Only exterior color I can think of that's close would be "Grigio", maybe?

The proof is in the driving. Take a base model for a test drive, then take a SH AWD for a test drive. Also, test drive one with the "tech" package. Test drives don't cost anything. See what you think.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out in your search.
    I looked at these after market grills and feel it tones down the front way to much and makes it look ordinary in appearance. I think if they tone down the 2011 or 2012 grill, depending on how it looks , might be a nice replacement... I never liked what honda did with the Pilot Grill, so I left my 2005 Alone and still think it looks better than the large square grill on the 2007-2008 Pilot...

Drove the SH-AWD into the mountains of San Diego yesterday, wet roads due to some rain, and it is just like driving a car on TRACKS!!
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    Thanks very much for that informative reply. I looked at the midnight chrome grille on Acura's accessories list that you're using -- looks very nice. Also checked out the Ron Jon grille -- thanks for the idea. Not sure what, if anything, I would do at this point. I just feel the standard grille is a little too in-your-face for my taste, but it's a subjective thing. Might just get used to it. I'm okay with the rear end, and feel the rest of the design, inside and out, is very sharp.

Yes, Grigio is the exterior color I meant -- should have checked that before posting. For the interior, my dealership has TLs with parchment, taupe, and ebony, but I haven't seen an umber.

I'll let you know my test drive impressions and buying decision. I've been in the Honda family for years, but never had an Acura. I'm driving a very nice 07 Accord SE V6 right now. My only reason to trade would be for the level of luxury a TL offers.
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I have my new TL SH-AWD now for about 2 months and I have enjoyed it and am happy with my decision. I, too, was a bit put off by the front grill and that was the cause of my initial hesitation to lease the car. The more I looked at it, the less offensive it became, but I got the silver exterior and the grill blends in more with that color than the other exterior colors. A friend of mine has a black 2010 TL and the contrast with the grill makes it stand out much more than exterior silver.
    austin...you're welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for. I believe you'll really enjoy your test drives.

If Acura goes the way they have in the past, I would expect a refreshening for model year 2012.

I don't see any changes in styling, as it's been adapted across their entire lineup. They'd have to dramatically change styling direction across all their models.

I know I've seen people who have chastised Acura (and all of Honda) for being too conservative in styling. Now, they've become more aggressive. I like the new look. I like it better than my former '04 TL. Many don't.

I suppose that proves that no manufacturer can please everyone all the time.
    I also got the Palladium Metallic not only did I feel it was the most eye pleasing color, but as you stated it also allowed the front and rear aluminum accents blend in with the car..
    San Diego is a fun City to drive a car. We have the Ocean, Mountains and the Deserts. I was in the Mountains on Sunday and the Ocean is our Friday destination... With SH-AWD mountain road driving is the most fun, but to get to the desert in the spring time to look at the blooming desert flowers, you have to drive over the mountains! Takes about 90 minutes... :)
    rlonn...I love driving in and around San Diego. Weather is easy to take there, too.

While the OH valley (Cincinnati to be exact), is filled with hills that are beautiful in the fall, and this time of year, we have hills that are fun to drive in, where you have mountains.

Either way, the TL is a great drive with the perfect blend of ride and handling for my tastes. I recounted several weeks ago, I took a road trip from my home to the Amish country about 2 hours away. Again, a beautiful drive. A 3 year old (2 year old?) Infiniti G coupe wanted to "play". Because most of the roads were two lanes with plenty of sharp turns, we spent about 30-45 minutes swapping the lead with each other. Finally, the G gave up.

Fun while it lasted, though.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    edited July 2010
    I might have posted this before but my interest got stirred up again.

Can anyone direct me how and where I can get the brightwhite bulbs for the DRL and Fog lights? I want to swap out the archiac yellow lights.
    I saw a 2009 TL in some picture with this set up and it looks REALLY nice.
    Probably head over to your nearest auto parts store and ask them which bulbs would work in your TL. Maybe even ask your Acura service dept which bulbs would work.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    thanks- I saw you on that other acura site/forum-those owners are really hardcore.
    billy....yeah...there isn't anyone over there who doesn't have a strong opinion (including me) ;)