Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Corvette Transmission Problems

Maybe someone has heard of my problem and can send me in the right direction. I recently (less than 1,100 miles ago) bought a 2007 Z06. Two days ago I heard a distinct transmission rattle in 1st gear after releasing the clutch. Took it to the dealer and was told this was normal and some transmissions do this and sometimes in different gears. Does this sound "normal" to anyone else? I will be discussing this with the regional service rep soon and would like any info I can get. Thanks....

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    Well, not C6 but in the C5, also with a rear transaxle it
    made what many call the marbles in a can noise that many
    complained about over the years. Either mine has stopped
    doing it or I have just gotten used to it since I don't
    notice it any more, 64k miles.
    Problem is that since that is an old issue many at dealer
    will just blow off any noise when it could be a different
    issue, keep in pursuit to make sure.
    Randy
  • Yes, the "marbles in a coffee can" sound. It was a very disconcerting sound to me early on, and if I had not heard about it first here on these forums, I would have been very worried myself.....

Mine is a 2004 Z06 and it seems to mainly affect first gear only during the first 5-10 MPH after take-off.
  • royglosomroyglosom Posts: 1
    My vehicle has 8,600 miles on it. Two weeks ago the rear axle started making grinding/popping noises on the right side, after the car was park over night, once the car started moving forward the grinding noise starts to fade, when park over night the same noise returns.

To check your car for these noises do the following. Back vehicle up at lease twenty feet turning steering wheel from left to right listen for the grinding or popping sounds, then drive car forward into a left or right turn remember this is only after the car has been park overnight so this is only for cold starts, if you hear what I have describe your positive traction is going bad.

GM has two campaigns out regarding what should be done. First recommendation is to flush axle by changing rear end axle oil, second replace seals and clutches on positive traction. I also recommend to have ABS sensor check and part a describe as a “LINK”
    The services for the campaigns are free regardless of mileage.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Posts: 111
    My car is a 2007 C6 with 7500k miles on it and I am hearing the same sound you are talking about. I took my car to the Chevy dealer so they could listen but the car was warm and they didn`t hear the sound. I`m going to take it and leave it over night so they can try it when it is cold. Thanks for the info.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Are you hearing noise when backing out of the garage and turn the car? This is the somewhat usual noise of the positraction rearend poping in a sharp turn.

Chevy has had posi noise for 40 years or more. First thing to try - take the car out and drive it in circles, left and right, or figure eights. This forces the plates in the posi to open up and let the grease in and get it all lubed up. A lot of posi noise can be cured this way.
    The only time I hear the noise is when I back out of the drive in the morning while turning the car to the left or right. After the car gets warm the noise goes away.
    Mine does this. Regular posi noise. Try what I said. I've never bothered with mine.

If you want, take it to the dealer. He will drain diff oil and replace it and the additive. They have TSB's telling them about this. If you are really mad and keep at them, they will replace the clutch pack for you. And the new one may be worse.....

I'm not going to put my car into the hands of the dealer for such a small problem.

You might also be hearing the front tires actually 'scrubbing' on the pavement in the tight turn. Those big tires do not like to be turned at such a sharp angle.
    As I said it only happens in the morning and I can live with the sound because after I drive aways and it warms up it doesn`t make the sound any more. I just was afraid it might hurt something in the rear end. Thanks.
    This is my first 6 speed auto trans in a vette and to tell you the truth I`m a little dissipointed. The shifts in paddle mode are very soft. I`ve tried to shift at different rpms to see if it would shift harder but it`s about the same all of the time. Is there something the dealer can do to make the shift more crisp of do I just have to live with it? Help
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    Assuming that this is in reference to a 2006 or 2007 ( you do not specify ) here is my answer & my experience. [ For 2008, GM \ Chevy claims improved shift speed. ]

Short answer: No. GM \ Chevy state that there are both hardware & software upgrades that address the 6L80 shift speed for 2008. I have seen no announcement regarding any sort of ‘retro-fit’ ‘kit’ to improve 2006\7.

I have now driven my 2007 for over 12,000 miles.

I am happy with mine. But not ecstatic. I did test drive 2 2006 A6s. In deference to the final purchaser, I was pretty gentle on the drivetrain. The delay in response ( time from paddle push or pull until initiation of the actual shift ) is too long. [ I am amazed that with so many years to develop this trans., the lag \ pause \ delay is as long as it is. ]

I find the actual upshifts to be typically quick and firm without being harsh.

I see no evidence that there is any attempt to accomplish “rev match on downshift”. At low engine speeds, the torque converter cushions the driveline jolt reasonably well. At higher speeds, the jerk in the shift is much more of an issue. On closed throttle ( foot on the brake ) downshifts are pretty much as I’d expect of a 5 or even a 10 year old design. I find this disappointing.

There has been much speculation that the delay has something to do with trans. ability to live a long & trouble-free life. Torque Mgmt. is often the term I’ve seen. I disagree. The actual shift speed is fine under most circumstances – for me. And I see no way that the delay prior to shift initiation would influence trans. longevity. ( Though I am always willing to be proven wrong. ) Seems logically that the speed & firmness of the shifts would be an issue ( & trans. temps, etc. ) – rather than anything prior. Since the shifts at WOT ( just before redline ) are as quick – and ( apparently ) executed with no delay. . .

Still quite impressed overall with the C6.

Just my 0.02 gallons worth.
    - Ray
    Happy – but not quite as happy as I’d hoped to be.
    My car is a 2007 with 7500k miles on it. My last Vette was a 2002 C5 with an auto trans which when I hit it hard it would bark the tires in 2nd gear. I know this is not important to some but I am from the old hot rod times when barking the tires was a big thing. I`ll try to grow up. Thanks
  • toydrivertoydriver Posts: 227
    I'm curious if you can "bark" the tires, in your c6, with traction control off and "competitive driving" mode "on" ??

I just bought my '07 C6; and since I have less than 500mi, I'm not wanting to "test the tires" quite yet. But, I'm anxious. :)
    Yes you can and there is plenty of power to do just that but I would wait until it gets broke in first.
    The tires on my non-Z51 are known for not putting out any 'squeal' at all. The few times I've really jumped on it from a dead stop, I've heard absolutely nothing. But I do think the tires were spinning.

Therefore, I think second gear noise would be even harder to hear.

Just get in your car, go to the nearest intersection, turn right or left and get on it. Be expecting to totally lose control if you give it much throttle. The car will quickly start to slide the rear end. (The car has so much power it will slide before the traction control can kick in.) And if it is sliding, it means the tires are broken loose. And there will be no noise.

If you wreck your Corvette doing this, don't blame me!
    The Chevy dealer changed the oil in the rear end yesterday and said that they couldn`t hear anything now. I will try tomorrow to see for myself. Maybe this fixed the problem.
  • Hello billw501, I was experiencing the same problem. I took it in and filed a complaint with the General Motors Engineering Department. I figured that a 90,000 dollar car with this kind of high performance shouldn't be doing that grinding sound out of first gear or any gear for that matter. The mechanics that over looked my car stated that it's due to the molecules of the metal expand and contract from heat and cold transfer which causes a slight grinding sound. Eventually it will stop or not when the vehicle suffers some wear and tear when the transmission settles or better said be broken in. Unfortunetly these are some of the sacrafices we must make to have such an awesome car. Don't worry about it to much, just turn up your music and you won't hear it, thats what i do. WOLF
  • Just purchased an '08 A6. I noticed that the transmission seams to delay before engaging drive more that I am accustomed too when moving the shift lever from N to D. Putting in reverse is no problem. Is this normal for the A6.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    I have not experienced anything like that in my 2007 A6....
    Good luck!
    - Ray
    Nearing the 15,000 mile mark....
  • Help!

I bought a beuatiful blue 2008 Vette with the optional titainium exuast, and auto tranny. I notice a grinding sound coming from the rear of the car at around 3000 RPM if I give it slight acceleration in 1st or second. In thrid however, that sound starts at 2500 RPM, and 4th 5th and 6th it starts at 2000 RPM. Again, I can only notice the sound under some acceleration.

I took it to my local dealership where I bought it. I got mixed reactions. The head mechanic says he thinks it's muffler resin (where I have I heard that before?), which seems to be a conviniant way to explain it away. But I know better...this sound is more serious than that. And resin wouldn't act like that at those RPMs. But wait, it get's better...

The salsmen went for a ride and after hearing it claimed that it is a combination of 4 things! He says it is stiff sidewall EMT tires when I accelerate, plus "power transfer" to the rear, plus "lug noise" (for the higher gears), plus some muffler resin! Wow, with those four things working together at once, ANYTHING can be explained away!

Problem is the dealership that I bought it from has NO CORVETTE EXPERTS. In fact, they even admit they never have even tore into a C-6 before!

I think I will need a new tranny (I hate that), but I'm not sure. What should I do? Drive around from dealer to dealer until I happen to come accross someone who knows what they are doing? Or do I just demand that my dealership honor the warenty and replace the tranny? Or mabey it's not the tranny, but I'm just missing something? I don't know what to do...any help is appreciated thanks.
  • Sorry for the double post, but if anybody is reading this, an update:

I just drove it with compotition mode off, and it still makes that grinding sound. Same with traction control off. At this point, I'm also worried about the rear axle. Could it be low on fluid? But if that were the case, wouldn't it make that "sound" all of the time, and not just at certain RPM's? Am I going nuts?

I cannot accpet the generic "well, the sound is probably normal", espicially since I just spent some 55,000 bucks on this car! Ok here is my plan...Monday I will make an apointment and have the dealership put it up on a rack, and check the underside for anything loose...like a muffler bolt or whatever. While up there, I will have them flush the rear-end fluid (which they will probably suggest anyway), and then drive it and see. If the sound continues after that, I will ask them to replace the transmission. Anyway, that's my plan.

Anyone else have any ideas?