Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Corvette Transmission Problems

Comments

• gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    Sorry about your experience. Seems there are a number of issues but I also feel you have the exception vehicle-wise. Not much solace I know but your experience is pretty much the opposite of mine.
    I logged some 70,000+ miles in my '01 and '03 Z06's and am only 3,500 miles into my '08 coupe but none of my Vettes had a single sqeak or creak and were/are trouble free as such. I think most Vette owners have my experience but every once in a while you hear a horror story like yours. Bummer for sure.
    Have you given any thought as to invoking the "Lemon Law" of your state. I don't know the nuances but it is something like "X" number of days in shop and "X" number of times without the dealer being able to remedy the problem(s), entitles you to a buy back from GM.
    Just a thought, and I wish you the best in getting this matter resolved.
  • Thanks for your reply. I am wondering if there is a number to GM headquarters that I can call, and threatin a lemon law suit? Otherwise I guess I'll have to get an attorney.

I will get an answer about the grinding sound tomorrow mabey, but what do you bet the answer will be "well, we dont know for sure about the center tunnel, so let's chalk it up to muffler resin"! I know I am jumping ahead by predicting that, but I have had similar experience before with both Ford and GM.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    First, I feel your pain in dealing with Dealer Service Departments, in general.
    Second, I am truly sorry to hear of the issues you are having.
    The one issue I had
    ( 2007 Coupe - trouble w/A6 trans. )
    was addressed with reasonable speed & efficiency
    by the dealer where I bought it.
    ( Largetst volume Corvette dealer in the S.E. )
    Though the symptoms have started to re-appear.
    (( sigh ))

Anyway, you could try:

GM North America Vehicle Brand Marketing
    200 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI 48243
    313-556-5000

General Manager
    Chevrolet
    Edward J. Peper Jr.

And \ or:

GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service & Marketing Group 100 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI 48243 313-556-5000
    GM North America
    VP Vehicle Sales, Service & Marketing
    Mark LaNeve

GM North America
    VP Field Sales, Service & Parts
    Brent Dewar

Good luck!
    I don't think you have to litigate under the Lemon Law, nor do you need an attorney, at least initially.
    I think Lemon Laws vary from state to state but not sure of this. I want to think that before you can invoke the LL the dealer must have made 3 attempts at correction and the car must be out of service for "X" days. Don't know that number.
    You may want to GOOGLE Lemon Law and see what comes up.
    I thought the owners manual had a section for this but I don't see it in my manual.
    The manual does however have a "Customer Assistance Office" (see page 34 of your manual). The number is 800-222-1020.
    Keep us posted please.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Lemon laws do indeed vary by state. One place to ask for help is the discussion at this link: Lemon Law Questions. Yes tmerriss, please keep us posted and good luck!
  • Where do I start? I took my 2005 C-6 six speed in for an upgrade to the OnStar system. Almost a month later, as the car sits on the rack at the dealer, I have no 5th gear in the transmission.

I was having a problem with the airbag light and had OnStar run a check on the car while on my way to the dealer. They came back with no problrem with the airbag system but the transmission showed a problem.

While at the dealer for the OnStar upgrade, the airbag light problem and the rear seals they had incorrectly installed (leaking) two weeks earlier they confirmed there was a problem with first gear.

Yes, I did say first gear, this is where all my trouble begins. Apparently, according to the mechanic, when changing first gear in the Tremec T-56 transmission you need to pull fifth gear. Again according to the mechanic every time you pull fifth gear the teeth break.

So a routine Saturday wait for my car to be fixed turned into a "your part will be in on Monday and you will have the car back on Tuesday".
    That was three weeks ago tomorrow. From what I am told by the service manager they can't find a fifth gear anywhere in the F****ing
    United States.

Let me back up to a week and a half into this ordeal. I called a friend who is the top Corvette mechanic (they do exist) at one of the Chevrolet dealerships in New York. I ran my problem by him and he had the following advice for me. First he said of the 80+ transmissions he had done the only fifth gear he broke was on the first one. After that he bought the right puller. Second he gave me the number of the place he purchases his transmission gears from.

Within ten minutes I had found the gear they needed and relayed the information to my service manager. He said he would run it by his boss. A half hour later I get a call from the service manager saying they found one in Nashville Tenn. (I am in Ft. Lauderdale Fl.) and would be overnighting it.

For those of you not familiar with the geographical oddities of Tenn. and Fl. I could drive the route round trip in 26 hours. Meanwhile let me fast forward to a week and a half later still no fifth gear. As of yesterday I was assured it would be here today and I would have the car back tomorrow. The message on my phone today from the service manager, as I was finishing up on 18, was "I still have not received the gear.

He went on to say he would understand if I went over his head to his boss. The problem with that is his boss is the one that denied my request to replace the transmission and is supposed to be spearheading the search for the elusive fifth gear.

This car has been a giant nightmare and dissapointment starting with the two weeks in the shop after I bought it and waited to drive it for the first time for a gas tank issue, two weeks out of service and three attempts to fix a leak in the firewall, five months to replace the recalled top (that's right five months). The top issue started on 04/07 and was finally delivered 09/07.

In closing Corvette mechanics do exist but seem far and few inbetween. The service you get after buying GM's flagship car is very subpar (having owned an Infiniti G-35 prior to the Vette).
    Where do I start? I took my 2005 C-6 six speed in for an upgrade to the OnStar system. Almost a month later, as the car sits on the rack at the dealer, I have no 5th gear in the transmission.

I was having a problem with the airbag light and had OnStar run a check on the car while on my way to the dealer. They came back with no problem with the airbag system but the transmission showed a problem.

While at the dealer for the OnStar upgrade, the airbag light problem and the rear seals they had incorrectly installed (leaking) two weeks earlier they confirmed there was a problem with first gear.

Yes, I did say first gear, this is where all my trouble begins. Apparently, according to the mechanic, when changing first gear in the Tremec T-56 transmission you need to pull fifth gear. Again according to the mechanic every time you pull fifth gear the teeth break.

So a routine Saturday wait for my car to be fixed turned into a "your part will be in on Monday and you will have the car back on Tuesday".
    That was three weeks ago tomorrow. From what I am told by the service manager they can't find a fifth gear anywhere in the F****ing
    United States.

Let me back up to a week and a half into this ordeal. I called a friend who is the top Corvette mechanic (they do exist) at one of the Chevrolet dealerships in New York. I ran my problem by him and he had the following advice for me. First he said of the 80+ transmissions he had done the only fifth gear he broke was on the first one. After that he bought the right puller. Second he gave me the number of the place he purchases his transmission gears from.

Within ten minutes I had found the gear they needed and relayed the information to my service manager. He said he would run it by his boss. A half hour later I get a call from the service manager saying they found one in Nashville Tenn. (I am in Ft. Lauderdale Fl.) and would be overnighting it.

For those of you not familiar with the geographical oddities of Tenn. and Fl., I could drive the route round trip in 26 hours. Meanwhile let me fast forward to a week and a half later, still no fifth gear. As of yesterday I was assured it would be here today and I would have the car back tomorrow. The message on my phone today from the service manager, as I was finishing up on 18, was "I still have not received the gear”.

He went on to say he would understand if I went over his head to his boss. The problem with that is, his boss is the one that denied my request to replace the transmission and is supposed to be spearheading the search for the elusive fifth gear.

This car has been a giant nightmare and disappointment starting with the two weeks in the shop after I bought it and waited to drive it for the first time for a gas tank issue, two weeks out of service and three attempts to fix a leak in the firewall, five months to replace the recalled top (that's right five months). The top issue started on 04/07 (I had them order the part) and was finally delivered 09/07.

In closing certified Corvette mechanics do exist but seem few and far between. The service you get after buying GM's flagship car is a disgrace (having owned an Infiniti G-35 prior to the Vette). If I was you I would forget about the noise or buy some earplugs, much less painful than the experience described above. And if you do decide to let them
    work on it, don’t take it to Ed Morse Chevrolet in Sunrise Florida.

Oh, about the Lemon Law (Fl.) the car has to be out of service for 30 calendar days for the same repair or not fixed after the third attempt for the same repair. Any claims have to be within the first 24 months of delivery. Right now I have 24,000 miles on the car and have owned it for 2 ½ years.
  • Sorry to hear about that, fifth gear is pretty important! I am not suprised at all though.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, and now an update:

The weather here has not been good, and my Vette has been in storage as a result. The mechanic at my local chevy dealership said they have no problem putting it uup on a rack and tearing the suspension out to get to the tranny/differencial, and center tunnle torque shaft. I guess they would replace that and the differencial, I am not sure. They aren't ot sure either. So at this point, feeling underwhelmed by their lack of knowledge, I think I'll just let it sit as I have other things to do. Hopefully, the weather will stay bad for a long long time, so I can just keep the car in storage and not have think about it!

Oh, a new problem. When I had it out a few weeks ago, I noticed when I open the door and the window drops a half-inch...when I close the door it won't go back up like it's supposed to. mabey it's a fuse I don't know, but it's another problem on top of a growing grocery list of problems, which is making my think twice about GM. Again, 17,000 miles on my Acura, and not ONE PROBLEM! Why does that not surprise me? Being an American, I hate admitting that Japanese cars are superior...but I now have first hand proof.

I'll update again when the frost thaws in this part of the country...
    This may help:

Window Indexing
    This feature automatically lowers the window a
    small amount when the door is opened. Then,
    when the door is closed, the window will raise to
    its full up position. If either window does not
    index properly, it could be due to loss of power.
    Before returning to your dealer for service, perform
    the power window initialize procedure following.

Power Window Initialize
    After a power reconnect such as battery
    replacement, the window index-up feature will not
    function until the system is initialized. Once
    power is restored, do the following:
    1. Close the door.
    2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
    3. Hold the up switch for three seconds after the
    window is closed. Release the switch.
    4. Hold the up switch again for three seconds
    and release.

From the owner's manual...
  • Your window problem is called indexing, you can fix it yourself. Check the owner's manual, I believe all you have to do is hold the button in the up position for 5 seconds and until you here a beep. Every time mine is in for service this happens from the battery disconnect. You would think the mechanics would take care of it.

Update on the transmission, week four and still no gear, supposedly they have the regional Corvette Manager working on it.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    A 'Regional Corvette Manager'??? (Think there is a Regional Malibu Manager?)

I doubt there is anyone with the title.

There are regional service managers. You should be attempting to get a name and number of this guy and see if he would get involved...
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    30 years ago I bought a new Corvette off the showroom floor.....after one month and 1000 miles....it rolled over to the side of the road & I didn't see it again for over 4 weeks..(& that was just the start of the saga)...guess not much has changed.....so far my '07 / 15K off sticker / Lifetime warranty / MB Crossfire has been perfect.
  • This thread of mine has seen many others with Corvette problems, but I think that mine is finally solved.

At the dealership I tested a brand new 08 auto, and the noise...is there! That's right folks, the grinding noise under acceleration coming from the back of the car...it's normal! At least in automatic trannys.

Also, I noticed that when weight is on the car (like a full tank, or another passenger) the sound is lessend. Even though this sound is a normal sound, Mid West Inc. claims that the exuast hangers can be replaced with non-stock units to quiet the sound! Anyway, I want to thank everyone who posted and I hope that the information that I have shared can help others...
    "At the dealership I tested a brand new 08 auto, and the noise...is there! That's right folks, the grinding noise under acceleration coming from the back of the car...it's normal! At least in automatic trannys. "

?????
    Mine does not have any noise like you describe....
    - Ray
    '07 A6
    I also have an '08 A6---
    No noise/grinding on mine.
  • Did you ever resolve this? My 2008 has the same problem and I'm told by dealer it (the noise) is within limits. They have a bulletin telling them not to change transmission.
  • abcoh62abcoh62 Posts: 1
    You need to tell your service department to get the regional GM guy involved. I invoked the lemon law here in Dallas and got a new 08 to replace the 06. There was some money exchanged due to mileage and difference in pricing but I got the new car. All I had to say was, buy it back or give me a new car to the Dealer and he found the regional person. From then on, GM took care of it. They have an entire department that deals with this but it has to start with the regional person.
  • mog8mog8 Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2008, and have encountered shifting problems. When the car is cold there is a wash board action when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd . After about 15 miles the problem is better but not gone. The dealer showed me a letter from chevy saying the problem is normal and to take no action. The lemon law states that they must attempt to repair the vehicle 4 times, the letter stops the repair cycle.I have a case file started, but it will take more people complaining to solve the problem. Mog8
  • lilpuulilpuu Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Corvette and I to get the wash board effect when it is cold. If the Manufacturer has a bulletin out on this what will it take to fix it? What is the problem and why does it do that?
    You will need to contact customer service a chevrolet. Call and file a complain and get your case number. jim
    i signed up for the corvette forum, but still waiting for email response. The bulletin is number 2073364. The title reads #PIP4357: Noise during the 1-2 shift when cold- key words first grate grind second _ feb 27,2008 recommendation A new transmission synchronizer will make a noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear in temperatures at or below 32 degrees, bull it happens at any temp. jim