Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• I've been offered a replacement of any gm vehicle, but must also pay a usage fee.
    Did you have to pay for this out of your pocket, up front? How does that work?
    Did you get stuck with a car payment higher than the one you were previously paying?

Shirley
  • How do I remove the driver's side tailight lens from my 2008 GMC Acadia?
    This is not the part of the tailight that is located on the trunk lid, but rather the
    part located on the back fender.

Thanks
  • I haven't gotten in touch with him yet, but if I do I will post back.
  • I too was offered a replacement vehicle. They started my usage fee when the car first started having problems. I think 16,000 miles. I only owed 7,000 on the old car and the difference with the new car was 4,000. We acually took the new Acadia home on Fri. The process took about 2 hours and went smoothly. You just borrow the lump sum of all of the above and GM pays off your old car. My car payments went down 150 a month and now we have a 2010 that is under warrenty. The difference in it and the old one is night and day. My old one could barely make it up a small hill. I cant believe they actually have a dept at GM for buybacks. I dealt with someone named Alicia and she was great. The dealership tried to pull a fast one over on us by saying we couldnt use the 1.9% interest rate and tried to do us at 6%. I told the guy to call Alicia, he put her on speaker phone and she said.. Sure they can do 1.9%. That really helped with the payments. We also signed up for extra coverage since payments were cheaper. Email me back if you have more questions.
  • I owe a lot more than 7,000. I probably have dead equity in my vehicle from the vehicle I traded in for the acadia. I didn't know they make you go back through credit checks and all that stuff, I thought you just go and switch vehicles and sign new papers. I did have one person from GM tell me my usage amount was about 4,500 and that I do have negative equity, not sure how all this is going to work for me. I definitely don't want a higher car payment. Did they let you pick up from the number of years owed on the other car or did you have start from scratch, like financing for 5 yrs? I went and looked at some chevy traverse; they are not as roomy as the Acadia, may go look at the Acadia this week.

Thank you for replying back to me, I'm glad they took care of you.
  • I had the same issues a couple months ago and tried talking to Lemon Lawyers about it...no luck on that front. Who did you talk to about getting a replacement vehicle? Did you go to the dealer first or someone else? Thanks for the help!
  • tt6tt6 Posts: 2
    I own a 2008 GMC Acadia...I have had multiple problems with it and am sooo thankful for extended warranty! To begin with...the cluster..where all the gauges are had to be replaced 4 times during the first 2 months of ownership! Stabilitrak, Traction control would always go out when making a right hand turn...a computer glitch they say. Power Steering...what power? This is on it's second repair. Transmission...well it's in the shop now...4th day...2 seals and 1 gasket are leaking..including the one behind the torgue converter...and they think there is air in my power steering????...So this is the life of an Acadia owner... To those that think that this is a problem in only a few of the Acadia's think again...Every noise you hear in this car...needs to be fixed...and it will have something to do with the power steering and transmission...get you car into the shop and print off every complaint on this website and every other one out there...Every Acadia on the road has a problem!
  • loachloach Posts: 246
    Wrong. Every Acadia on the road does not have a problem. My '08 Acadia has 23k miles so far. Only had a couple very minor problems early on that were fixed by the dealer under warranty and have not recurred.

I understand your frustration with your Acadia, but when you make blanket statements you lose credibility.
  • Just checked - only 8 more lease payments to go! Woo hoo!
  • duijiduiji Posts: 17
    I bought a factory certified 07' Acadia SLT2 AWD that has been in for maintenance almost 2 months of the 18 months I have owned. I did not buy a helicopter!!! It is always something Sunroof leaks, replaced power steering pump twice, replaced struts, stabalizer linkage, cam shaft timing chain and now other than the fact they can't seem to fix the engine light and the automatic opening liftgate there is a severe grinding in the front end when in snow or ice. They say that is traction control but it can't be the sound that I am hearing but how would they know they just write it off to that. I have 40k miles on it and it is junk. If it wasn't for the powertrain warranty I would be broke. I cannot afford to keep this, I am reviewing my options and contemplating legal actions but you can't sue the government without permission :)
  • Agreed, we bought our Acadia new in March of 2007 and to this day we haven`t had any problems what so ever.The only thing we had done was a reprogram of the transmission shift pattern. If you have had good luck with your Acadia maybe a new thread could be started to share your good experiences.I can`t believe there is only two of us. :confuse:
  • I agree that there are probably many people that do not have problems with their Acadia's and would be the first to back up the car. Truth be told, I have had problems with my 2010 Acadia since mile 835. The fuel tank and pump can not hold gas with under a 1/4 of a tank of fuel. I live on a slightly inclined hill and it has been at the dealers for 1 and 1/2 weeks now. They have tried two new fuel valves and an updated pump and nothing has worked. They called the designers and they too mentioned I would have this problem and have since sent an updated fuel tank and pump system. The service manager told me he was almost 100% sure that this would not fix the problem. GM has been called in and they have a guy looking at it and even he can't fix it. They have also tried the same situation on a brand new Acadia that was wheeled in 2 weeks ago. They told me they would call back on Monday and its now Wednesday. I was to have my car back 8 days ago and its now 13 days. If this is such a great car why are so many people having problems with it. One things for sure if this is not fixed then I better be able to get out of the car with NO strings attached and get by trade-in value and down payment back so i can get something else...that's $3100 total. :sick:
    There's a whole bunch of happy Acadia owners over at www.acadiaforum.net - along with some unhappy ones too of course.
  • ntellyntelly Posts: 10
    I have written many times before....now this past Sunday, my 07 Acadia's transmission went...36,200 miles on it! Can't wait to see how long this will take to fix.
  • I have a 2007 Acadia that has made a terrible whining noise since I bought it. The local dealership said that they did not hear anything. So I have been putting up with this noise for nearly 3 years. Yesterday I drove from Tyler to Terrell and back; when I turned on my road I had no transmission (58000 miles). I coasted partway then had to let it roll into a neighbors driveway. I called the dealership today they gave me a towing service number and they have towed it into the dealership. I have not yet heard from them. I am not liking the posts that I have read on here. But now I have some proof that I am not crazy for hearing a noise. Will see if the transmission problem matches any of these. :cry:
  • We are looking to purchase a 2010 Acadia SLT AWD and I was interested to learn if any the current Acadia owners have had an experience driving it on a beach. We live in New England and have beach access and while most of the beach is hardback, there are section of loose sand

Thanks
  • tt6tt6 Posts: 2
    Sorry Loach if you think my post was a "blanket statement"...but I figured since I was in a forum for Acadia Problems and Repairs...people would be looking for issues that others are experiencing with their Acadias....I was just stating fact..and would not be advising of my problems..if I were in a forum for Satisfied Acadia drivers. Perhaps your car is diamond in the ruff...and I think that's great...But if your looking for "Problems and Repairs" for the Acadia...this is the place...
    Quote from tt6:

Every Acadia on the road has a problem!

This is the very definition of a blanket statement. And it is far from a "fact" as you assert. Nobody is saying you shouldn't air your grievances here, but when you make a broad-brush statement like that, expect to be challenged on it.
  • We have an acadia and have had a tremendous number of problems with it. I can't urge you strongly enough to buy a different car. Sun rook leaks, power steering box went, new steering column, and now the entire electrical is going (because they can't fix the sunroof leak - it's been in the shop 4 times for this issue). It is a legit piece of garbage.
  • On January 28, 2010, we took our 2010 Acadia into the dealership for a problem that shouldn't exist in any vehicle. When under a 1/4 tank of fuel and sitting on an incline our fuel pump leaks out too much fuel. The dealership has been working GM both locally and through Detroit Corporate Office. They are now testing a brand new, totally redesigned fuel pump from Bosch, the original designers. GM told me this was a problem that Bosch had known about and thought it might happen. I was also told through GM that this would be a problem they would have to fix in the new models rolling out of the plants since October of last year. I have to admit once I complained on the internet on their Facebook account and other sites run by Gm they contacted me asap (6 different people actually). The claim it will be fixed on Monday, one month later. Yes, they have had the car for 4 straight weeks. I complained about not having my car for a full month and they promised to repay me for this month and throw in a 2-yr smart plan for servicing my Acadia. this is all good and everything but the GM rep told me that he and others weren't 100% sure if this would fix the problem. So I guess I will know more on Monday... :mad: :mad:
  • catman79catman79 Posts: 1
    My 2009 Acadia has the same problem. The dam door can probably kill you if it happens to hit you in the right spot on the head. I'm bringing it in this Friday.
  • duijiduiji Posts: 17
    Perspective, lets do this to put it into perspective. If your estimate of 300 vehicles holds true which we all know are only people that found this messageboard and signed up for an account. Even then at 300 vehicles at $30,000 - $40,000 each is equal to $9,000,000.00 to $12,000,000.00 that the 300 people on this post cannot afford to lose. I myself have one of these problem ridden vehicles and have tried to work it out with the dealer with no luck and now I am pursuing the GM rep option before hiring an attorney. People complain about a $200.00 operating system not performing correctly, what about a $35,000.00 vehicle. This is ridiculous, my 2007 Acadia SLT2 AWD has been in for maintenance 9% of the time I have owned it with a variety of issues.
  • nmydstnmydst Posts: 30
    We own a 2009 SLT-1 that we purchased in November. I noticed some water in my drivers floor board under the emergency break. I took it to the dealer and they said they dropped the header and sealed 2 holes in the back sunroof. It has yet to rain for me to see if it's fixed. When i picked it up I noticed dirty hand prints left on the header and the service manager himself cleaned it for me and then gave me the entire bottle of cleaner. The other day while driving around town my door locks went crazy. This has happened 3 other times, but then a few days ago while driving over a draw bridge with 4 lanes of traffic my door locks went crazy and then the car lost power. I tried my best to steer it to the side of the road since the steering wheel was locked up. Where the car ended up was not the safest place on the highway since it was an entrance ramp and I had my son in the back. I let it sit for a few minutes and started it back up. It was fine except it felt like it was dragging and didn't have the same oomph. My husband met me and we drove it to the dealership. They've had my car for 6 days now and have been in contact with GM and another dealership that has dealt with this issue before. Supposedly it has something to do with the fuse box and GM is making me a new one but it will take 2-4 weeks for it to be made and get to the dealership. I am currently in a crappy rental, but my dealership has upgraded me to a new car that I pick up later today. They have also worked with GM to pay my next months car payment if they have my car over 2 weeks. The service manager admitted to me that even though the car is somewhat drive able, if I don't feel comfortable in it, they want to do all they can and that he would not put his fiance and child in it so he agrees with me about not putting my family in it. We'll see what happens. I'm so disappointed! I've been wanting this car for years and it took awhile for them to find me a 2009 because of the cash for clunkers deal they had in the fall. They found 2 2009 and the first one ended up being a demo and my dealership did not feel comfortable buying it for me. The second one they found in Ohio and I'm in Virginia. It was the exact color inside and out that I've been wanting and with everything in it and some extras that I wanted. We were so excited! I love my car. It's fun to drive and has been very handy, but at this moment I'm missing my Grand Prix GTP that we traded in, even though that car was starting to have problems too. I feel like I traded one set of problems for another. I will keep you all updated on this problem we're having. :(
  • Just turned 50,000 on my Acadia. No sunroof so that has not been an issue. Of course, after the warranty ran out, I began having little issues. Lumbar support lever broke, DVD player plays, but the screen is blank..and guess what, GM dealer have no clue what to do...they are mechanics...not electronics trained. I have just had the check airbag sensor fixes for the 4th time. Then, in the very hot days, on a long trip, the AC just shuts down. If we take a break for lunch and return to the road, it starts working again...very frustrating and does not show up on the diagnostic. Add to that, I have a whine in the power steering pump...been there for over 4 months...only really noticable when slow sppeds and turning into driveway or into garage etc. Very loud. No steering problems but since the recall announced this morning...I am going to wait it out...I bet this problem will prove to be more wide spread that initially announced.
  • cgz2001cgz2001 Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Please reread my post. I said it appears there were roughly 300 individual users here, many with multiple posts. I took 10 times that amount to make up for other people experiencing these issues as well as people who didn't create an account. Even with that many cars the total was only 1.55% of all vehicles sold through 2009.

If the cost of each vehicle was 500 million dollars apiece that would not change my premise. I was discussing numbers of cars with problems versus numbers of cars sold, which has nothing to do with the cost of the crossover.

The correct analogy would be to say 193505 operating systems are sold and 1.55% of them have damaged installation disks.
  • cgz2001cgz2001 Posts: 7
    I've broken my lumbar support twice. That's the only thing I can think of which I feel was designed cheaply in the vehicle. I've found though that it isn't something I need unless I'm driving for a long time (over 2 hours). I've decided if I ever get it repaired I'll keep it off unless I'm driving for several hours, and if I do I won't stretch really hard until I get out of the car (which is how I broke it the second time).

I'm an electrical engineer; if your DVD player screen is blank that sounds like a connection issue. I would have them see if any wires / cable assemblies for the screen are loose or pulled out. When I moved into the house I currently have, a kitchen radio was left which worked but the screen was blank. I opened the top off and found the flex cable for the screen had been pulled out, so no connection was getting made from the LCD to the electronics. It's just a thought.
  • nadclenadcle Posts: 1
    I have an 08 acadia, and i have been have been having the whining noice in my steering, intill all power in the steering went, service said they will replace the part, but they also mentioned something about a system flush? they said that it has alot of dirt sticking to the walls, and that it will cost 425.00 to clean it out, or my steering won't work even after the part??? Is this true, or are they just trying to rip me off?
  • thomasetthomaset Posts: 4
    I bought an 2007 Acadia SLT and thought that GM had finally gotten it right. Now, 3 years later I am not so sure. My problems with the Acadia are as follows:

1) Almost immediately the Nav. system would lock-up and just stay on the same screen for 30 seconds or more. They finally replaced it (with a used unit) after trying several "updates" that didn't work. The replacement unit still contained the previous owners personal information such as their home address, etc. You'd think that someone would have cleared the memory before putting it into another vehicle. Plus, you can't do anything with the nav. system if the car is moving more than 3 mph. I can understand the safety aspect of limiting this, but typically I have a passenger who can enter the info.. If you buy one, save the money and buy an aftermarket Nav system that you can actually use. Plus, you can move it from one car to another and you'll save about $1K bucks.

2) The sunroof has had leak issues. I took it in 4 or 5 times to a GM dealer to have the sunroof leak fixed. They couldn't figure it out the first 3 times, but they finally determined that the drain lines had either become plugged or fell off, so the water was basicallly draining down the A pillars and causing who knows how much additional damage to the wiring / electronics.

3) Head lamp replacement is utter stupidity given the fact that you can't replace them yourself. Well I guess you could if you don't mind removing the bumper / fascia and/or the wheel well to replace a head lamp. Your other option is to pay the dealer $100 for a single head lamp replacement. The other problem is this vehicle seems to burn up a lot of hadlamps (I've had to replace 5 or 6 in the last 3 years). I have serious issues with the engineering when they can't design a vehicle in which the owner can replace the head lamp themselves. In fact, I would have probably bought another vehicle if I had known this when I purchased it.

4) The latest problem is the power steering pump which seems to be a very common problem for these vehicles as well. Mine is starting to whine and additional fluid doesn't help. Based on the postings that I have read here and on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't issue a recall.

5) The windshield seems very prone to stone chips and cracks. I have driven many different vehicles for 30 years and never had a single stone chip or windshield crack. After driving this vehicle for 3 years, I have 4 chips / cracks. Could it be just bad luck? I'm not sure, but given the other problems with this vehicle, I suspect the windshield is inferior too.

6) Last, the rear seat design is really stupid. There are large slot-like openings in the floor where the seats slide. The slots are wide enough to attract every piece of food, dirt, paper, or other garbage that falls on the floor, but they are too narrow for a vacuuum cleaner to get into. Thus, you have these troughs filled with crap and they look terrible too.

My next vehicle will be an Acura MDX. It might cost a little more upfront, but their quality is proven and I won't have to deal with all of these problems.
  • nmydstnmydst Posts: 30
    Just a quick FYI, my sister in-law has had two Acura MDX's and the first had to have a new transmission the second needed a whole new engine. She still has it and hates it. When the MDX's first came out my husband and I ordered one, however we decided to get something a bit cheaper instead and ended up getting a 2001 Grand Prix GTP. We just traded it in, in Nov for the Acadia. We had problems with that car as well, but I did enjoy driving it when it was behaving. I believe no matter what car anyone buys there is always going to be issues whether they are small ones or big ones. Let's take Toyota for example, they're forgien and have problems. You don't know what you're getting when you buy any car. One car might be fine and the next one not. I wish you luck in your future car purchase, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!
  • vancomanvancoman Posts: 5
    HI Nadcle, I can't comment on whether they are trying to rip you off, but I have a few posts in here, if you search for vancoman, you will see what I have posted in terms of trying to get the noise fixed (and it has been working well for the last several months). You may have read them already if you were searching "noisy power steering" or words like that to see if others were having the same problem, which is what I did when I got fed up with the noise. Hopefully that may provide some guidance. Thanks.