Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• I lease a 2007 gmc Acadia! It is a beautiful car with wonderful features but I have had so many problems since the day we got the car! I have never had the speaker on my on star work so that service was worthless! The speakers in the car have never worked correctly! My sunroof leaked! I bought the car to have a safe vehicle for my small children and myself! I have ended up on the side of the road with both my children 3 times! I have had a to replace the water pump and now the power steering pump is leaking! My latest problem is my engine light is on and my car won't switch gears! I have to throw in low and use the +/- button to drive! I called the dealer and they told me it would be a week to even look at it and they can not give me a loaner! How will I get to work? To school? Pick up my kids? I have left the dealer in tears on several occasions! Not to mention that we bought the car at one dealer and now they have lost their gmc dealership so we r now dealing with a new dealer! I went to discuss my problems and options with one sales man and he told me to go home and appreciate the fact that I can afford a car like this and worry about things like health and jobs????? Where does he get off! I am so fed up! The warranty is up and will most likely not cover the latest problems! All I want is for GMC to take the car back and terminate my lease 8 months early! I want out now! All they want to do is stick me in another GMC! I do not want another GMC at all! Help! Any one have any ideas!
  • What a headache this vehicle has been. 37 days in the shop, gone through 2 fuse boxes, 5 water leaks found, and 1 leak that they cannot find. I just picked it up from the shop today.....they said they cannot find the leak. So now im just waiting for the next big rain storm to come.....water will leak into my car again, it will get to the fuse box, and then my car will not turn off when i put it in park and take out the keys.
    So do i a). park it outside knowing that it will leak and damage the fuse box or b.) park it inside the garage and die of carbon monoxide poisoning?
    Warning for everyone who has leaking problems.........make sure your acadia is turned off. Mine will run when it is put in park and key are out of the ignition. This can kill you if it is parked in your attached garage.
    This need to be a class action suit. Im serious people.......this car will kill sooner or later.....sure glad it wasnt me 3 weeks ago when i went out to my garage and my car was running. My 2 year old room is right next to the garage. That was the last straw.....and now im speaking out.
  • Hi,

There is a noise comming out from the front wheels after crossing the jumps. Initially it was observed with bigger jumps but now its getting increased.

Please help or at least tell me if its critical to be fixed soon or can be fixed a bit later because I have to travel around 2000KM starting in few days.

Thanks!
  • You did not say of you had FWD or AWD
  • We have had ours almost 2 years and still have the random battery drain issue. In the last 35 days it has been at the dealer for 15+ days. I even have a case with GM about the issue and they don't see to care if it ever gets fixed. They said to keep having it towed to the dealer until they can duplicate the issue. Seeing as how I cannot even duplicate the issue this can go on forever.

I am done with all GM vehicles. I have owned 6 among several Nissans, Fords and Infinite vehicles. I have only had issues with 2. Both GMC. Avoid all GM vehicles. They just want your money and will give you crappy customer service. Yes I'm bitter but when you pay $45K for a vehicle is it to much to want it to start?

All they have to do is the right thing and buy back the vehicle. They know that some vehicles will just have problems. It is part of the assembly line process. Not everything is flawless.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    jefferdy1,
    Please e-mail me with your case number and user name. I would like to look into this further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    What have you done to initiate the buyback process? If you have a service advisor who you always visit when your vehicle is in for warranty work, he will be instrumental in assisting your buyback effort.
  • I have not done anything about the buy back process yet, researching and obtaining my options for now. I have just mentioned it to my case assigned rep as the option if they cannot duplicate the issue again with the vehicle in the shop. I will also inquire with the dealership too as to what influence they have as I'm sure they don't want to see me every 4 - 8 weeks complaining of the same issue. I know the dealer is doing everything they can to resolve the issue but when dealing a possible random electric short or faulty ground it is like a needle in a haystack.

I did get the extended warranty on the vehicle but not with the intention of using continuously on a issue that the dealer cannot duplicate. I have always hated bringing my vehicle to any dealership regarding an issue, even on something as small as rattle, and the technician putting cannot duplicate the issue.
  • Christina,

I have sent an e-mail to your profile e-mail and included my vehicle VIN number. I will try to remember and follow-up tomorrow with the case number if you cannot locate it via the VIN. The e-mail also includes my cell phone to discuss.
  • Well it all started one day when i walked into the dealership to purchase this car... HUGE MISTAKE. My car has been nothing but a danger to my family and I... My car has been in and out of dealerships for many problems and is currently sitting in the dealership while the tech's there all scratch their heads wondering how to fix my vehicle...Nobody could tell me whats wrong nor do they know how to interpet the codes its reading out so basically they are working on my car blind... let me explain i was driving on the highway going about 65 mph when all of a sudden the car starting beeping and lighting up with messages service traction control, service stabilitytrak but the best one was engine power reduced this means that when driving at the rate of 65 the engine feels its heating up and causes the engine to turn its power off to the speed of 10mph yeah scary right not to mention the breaks had locked... when called onstar to find out what was happening they told me to pull over yeah that wouldve been good if i wasnt on a road that had no shoulders...so i had cars speeding around me to try and avoid me where the one almost hit me from behind because lets face it nobody is expecting for someone to be driving in a 65 doing 10... so last step went into dealership and once again they dont have answers of why this is happening but yet they keep trying to change parts and isnt working... They tell me to take the car home anyway and lets see if it continues... yeah thats easy for them to say its not there lifes that are in DANGER... Has anyone ever had this issues please help...
  • These cars are rated for 16 city/23 highway. Getting a whopping grand total of 14MPG avg when doing more than half freeway driving is APALLING. I have owned multiple new vehicles (4WD, or AWD SUVs) from other manufacturers - Jeep, Ford, and Toyota, and have ALWAYS gotten either spot on sticker stated mileage or at most 1-2 MPG off from day 1 though the time they were sold (one at 14 years, 1 at 11 years, and one at 7 year old). The fact that GMC and the Acadia in particular can't deliver the same thing says there is a problem with the car that the rating agency needs to take a serious, and long hard look at it. And GMC needs to fix it. Had I been told this vehicle was rated for 10/11 MPG city (what I am getting 2700 miles now) and 14 freeway I would have NEVER, EVER bought this car.
  • First off if you only have 2700 miles on the odometer your engine is still breaking in. You have to wait until 7500 or more before the engine is really broken in with everything seated properly. I regularly get 16 - 17 MPG driving around town. On highway trips I get maybe 19 or 20. Then again I have 4 people in the car, luggage and driving 75 MPH.

When you get the 14MPG what is your average speed? That will help you better determine why your mileage is so low. It doesn't take much time sitting in stop and go traffic, cold weather, etc to bring your mileage down in a heartbeat.

Other items to think about are:
    1. Is your tire pressure set a factory recommendations or higher for best performance?
    2. Do you drive all gas and brakes? Every drive with a light throttle or coasting when coming up to lights?
    3. When you get on the highway and set the cruise on say 60 or 65 and then reset the instant mileage what does it show if maintain that speed for say 15 or 20 miles?
    4. Do you have the vehicle loaded with a bunch of extra crap that is like driving around with a full loaded vehicle of people?
    5. What is your typical drive like? Lots of hills, avg speed

Finally, are you going by the onboard computer or calculating manually?
    nmatos,
    I apologize you are experiencing these problems. Can you please e-mail me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, complete contact information including a good number to reach you, and a summary of your experience/concerns (including those codes if you have them). I want to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • We continue to experience a similar problem with our 2010 ACADIA. While going full speed on the highway, the car dramatically slows down, unlocks and locks the doors (all by itself), and eventually (after 15 seconds) goes back to normal. When we tell the dealership about the problem, they look at us like we have to heads. OnStar never detects anything and the dealership cannot reproduce the problem so I guess we are stuck with the car until something bad happens. We are VERY disappointed and disgruntled with GMC...
  • I am new to this forum and would like some advice. I purchased my 2009 Acadia 07/09, but it was built in 08. When it had 7500 miles I changed the oil even though I still had 52% oil life left (because I read that it might help with bad gas mileage). About one month later (11/09) I started to hear a random knocking noise when I started the car but the dealership was unable to duplicate. In March 2010 I took the vehicle in again with the same complaint plus the drivers seat leather had to be replaced, part of the trim near the radio had to be replaced and my power steering was making a rubbing noise so that had to be repaired (they put in a new part). At that time they suggested that I get my oil changed because I had 15000 miles and even though my OLM said 48% I agreed. The engine noise continued off and on and in August (after driving from Oklahoma to Washington DC and having to add a total of 2 quarts of oil) it started always occurring with a cold start. I took it in and was again advised to change my oil (22000 miles OLM 56%), I did change the oil though it made no difference with the noise. I finally took it to a new dealership and the timing chain was replaced a few weeks ago. However, they suggested that I no longer use the OLM and get my oil changed every 3000 miles "to clear excessive engine sludge".... the power steering is also not working correctly again and they were unable to repair until the get advice from a GM rep (because the other repair did not last). I am fed up, this was a $45000 car that was supposed to be low maintenance and I planned on keeping it long term. Now I don't know what to do, should I expect continued problems? Should I get rid of it?
  • What kind of problems did you have with your 2009?
  • Seeing as how the dealer does not put Synthetic oil I would never rely on the OLM for the oil changes. If you waited until it got close to 25% like they want you would be going 10 - 12k before an oil change. You are just look for problems.

I always do the oil change at 3K - 3750 and the OLM is around 88%. That neglect on proper maintenance could be causing your problems and not a bad vehicle. At least your problem is reproducable so when you bring it in the dealer cannot deny it does not exist. My issue is a different story.
    I no longer use the OLM and get my oil changed every 3000 miles "to clear excessive engine sludge"

If there is sludge in your motor, 3000 miles OCI will not clear it. The only solution at that point would be to replace the motor. If there is sludge and the "knock" is from the lower part of the motor the main bearings have been damaged and the engine will have to be replaced. Course you are under warranty so the dealer may be trying to stall the inevitable repair.

If you have an independent mechanic, one who you can trust, have them check for sludge. You don't want to be without warranty should you need to replace the motor.
  • Well my vehicle is dead once again today after having it back for a week and half. The dealer disabled the OnStar module hoping that was the culprit, apparently not. Already spoke with my GM Service Rep and she is going to see about doing a collateral trade with her managers given the continued issue with the vehicle.

Christina, I sent you an e-mail about this asking a few questions. Please answer when you get a chance.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    jmmoore1,
    Have you requested a service technician to ride with you to see if the problem occurs? I would also recommend asking if they could put a code reader in your vehicle for when the problem occurs. I would definitely recommend looking into these options at your dealer. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Has anyone had a headlight lens "bubble" from the heat generated from the headlight bulb? Mine has and no I did not replace them with the blue ones!
    Actually HID burns cooler than halogens.

Mine's leaked but no bubble.
  • Christina,
    The problem occurs sporadically--sometimes a few times a week, and then not for a week or two. Therefore, riding along with a technician would most likely be ineffective. I will inquire about the code reader. Thank you for your attention. It's refreshing to see that GM has this kind of outreach to the customers--the dealership has not been responsive to our concerns.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    edited November 2010
    According to this reference HID runs over 4000°K; while Tungsten-Halogen runs around 3000°K. And, technically, they don't burn (oxidize) else they'd be depleted in seconds. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • replying to: obyone (Nov 28, 2010 12:00 pm)
    According to this reference HID runs over 4000&degK; while Tungsten-Halogen runs around 3000°K. And, technically, they don't burn (oxidize) else they'd be depleted in seconds.
    ---------------

That is not their "heat" temperature. It is their colour temperature.

4000K is a bluer white than 3000K. 3000K is fairly yellow.

For photo work, I calibrate my LCD monitor to either 5000K or 6500K. 6500K is supposed to be most like the color of natural sunlight.

Those really "blue" HID headlamps.... their color temperature is likely somewhere around 8000K to 10000K.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Actually, I thought you might have meant thermal temperature - after - I wrote my previous note!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have read many posts on this blog about momentary loss of power steering. I know that it happens in heavy rain and it happens when you turn the wheel in a certain direction.
    It happens to me and it scares that heck out of me. Since we all agree on that this phenomenon exists, does anyone know if GM has put out a fix for this either officially of by way of quiet recall?
  • Lol that's a joke to actually think that GM would care about their consumers... All I hear when my car goes in for service for either stalling, mechanical function lose as well as engine reducing power is if we can't duplicate it we can't fix it... So they continue to give you a safety hazard to drive... I no longer rely on them I have taken matters into my own hands.... My car has been in and out over 5 times and I'm done dealing with this non-sense as well as the incompetent mechanics... Your best bet is contact an attorney for breech of warranty they can not keep giving you back a vehicle that clearly has a safety issue... There are laws out there to protect consumers....
  • u sound just like me!!! my car has had all of those probs and then some! the worse car i have ever owned! at leasted u r just leasing it! i still dont know what i am going to do :( gl to u!!!
    There are two recalls. One for the heated washer fluid and one for the A/T cable.

Of the 178 TSBs out there are two that relates to the power steering pump. One details pump diagnostics and the other pump whine noise. None relates to loss of steering. Pump failure will leave you with steering just not power assisted.