Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Results on the air conditioning problem---Dealership says that their is a leak in one of the a/c lines behind the engine head. The cost will be $454 to repair the lines which includes 4 hours of labor (with no real guarantee that this will work) or $1400+ to replace the lines (because you have to buy all 4 a/c and heater lines that are not sold separately). Absolutely ridiculous! :cry:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    njohnson36,

I know that vehicle repairs can be expensive, and definitely can empathize. Now you that you have a diagnosis, what are your thoughts on how you will proceed?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kf1908kf1908 Posts: 3
    71-1038624692 The representative's name is Portia.
    Thank you for getting me that case number. I double checked your VIN and didn't see any open recalls on your vehicle. I also saw that your case was closed, and that the decision that had been delivered to you was a final decision. I realize that it may not have been the most satisfactory resolution - what route are you now pursuing to get this addressed?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    I'm considering a replacement for my 2007 Toyota 4Runner. I like the idea of the third row seating and the available room in the back of the Acadia. And I like the look of the Acadia. But I'm concerned about the trend on reliability, especially since many of the same issues seem to be recurring - lights, water issues, steering,etc.

I'd be interested in knowing if the there is a trend towards improvement and if the GM service rep that posts here regularly has made a difference in getting problems solved.
  • anribaanriba Posts: 2
    Wow. I just drove one home for a trial for the weekend and now read all this. Its a new slt. Is GM still producing low reliability vehicles? What else should I buy?
  • kirby2010: I have a 2011 Acadia. I had a 2007. I did not have that water issuses but I did not have a sunroof. The water leak issues came from poorly designed sunroof drains. I have a sunroof now and no worries. The lighting issues and electrical issues came form the leaks. There was a problen also with the sockets holding the daylight running lights but that has been adressed. I had a problem with the steering locking up. It was caused when you ran through a puddle of deep rain and main a certain turn. The water would get up on the power streering belt cuasing it to slip and that would not lock it up but you needed to be a gorilla to turn it for a few seconds. That has gone away also.
    I lost the transmission at 97,000 but had it replaced under warranty.
    My new car's transmission is really differenct then the 2007. They went to synthetic oil for the engine.
    To make a long story short, I put on 98,000 on my 2007 and traded it in on a 2011. I have been in the new 4's. The Acadia rides a ton better and the seats are more comfortable. One big thing for me is the the Acadia says GMC on the front grill. I pay extra for that logo.
  • Some more: I went to AWD. This is a winner drive train. Got the Denalli version. Nothing else in it class rides like it.
    I drove the 4 runner, Yukon, Trailblazer, all the Fords. Once I decided I did not need to tow anything over 4500 lbs, the decision was a no brainer.
    I wish when people post nasty notes on the Acadias, they would put the model year.
    All the problem seem to be 2007 - 2010. Then Obama took over and everything changed
  • I was jus kidding about the Obama thing. The new Acadias are nice vehicles.
  • hdaohdao Posts: 20
    In addition to that, I used premium gas when traveling on long distance roads. Keep constant speed from 65-72 mph. For the highway mileage accuracy, I reset MPG monitor while my Acadia is in constant highway speed, so it would tell me exact mileage on HW.
  • After doing our research on the parts and what it would take to repair it, we dropped it back off at the dealership last night so that they would have it first thing this morning to repair it. However, when I just called the dealership to check to see if the car would be ready tonight, they said they had every size coupling except the one that will fix the hole in my a/c line. They are paying to have the part over-nighted. How gracious of them since they should have already had the part knowing that the vehicle was coming today!
    It's always great to read about somebody enjoying the Acadia, safety9285! I hope you enjoy many trips in your 2011, and if we can ever be of assistance don't hesitate to get in touch at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • renie39renie39 Posts: 6
    There is a setting in the menu (at least, there is on my Acadia) for setting the radio for automatic volume, that lowers it when you slow down, and increases volume at higher speeds. Possibly this is what you are noticing.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    njohnson36,
    Please keep us updated on the status of your repair. I look forward to hearing further from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • hbacadiahbacadia Posts: 7
    I feel your pain! The number is 877 593-0955. Reference ID: A13644. They are consumer protection attorneys out of Los Angeles that handle claims with manufacturers and car dealers. I am not sure if it is a class action suit or individual claims. I personally don't know where else to turn. Good Luck with your situation.
  • :confuse: I have an '08 (less than 40k miles) and just recently have been experiencing the same problem. I don't think it's the gas as I've even tried to put the "additive" in as recommended and it still does the "dieseling" when sitting at an idle upon first start up in the morning. GM can say "bad gas" all they want, but I'm not buying it. Anyone get a different answer? Just curious.

Also, I'm glad to read i'm not the only one that has steering problems in high water...though it doesn't help the problem at least I know I'm not alone!
  • (I posted this as a reply to a message, but thought I'd see if I get any response as a stand alone)

I have an '08 (less than 40k miles) and just recently have been experiencing very rough idle. I start it in the a.m., drive about two blocks to the car pool line at the kids' school and while sitting waiting to drop them off it starts "dieseling" (for lack of a better term). The gauges fluctuate and it literally shakes the entire car! I don't think it's the gas as I've even tried to put the "additive" in as recommended and it still does the "dieseling" when sitting at an idle upon first start up in the morning. GM can say "bad gas" all they want, but I'm not buying it. Anyone get a different answer? Just curious.

Also, I'm glad to read i'm not the only one that has steering problems in high water...though it doesn't help the problem at least I know I'm not alone!
    mrsfyredude,

I'm sorry to read about the rough idle situation you described. It sounds as though you have been working with a dealership on this? If we can follow up on this with your dealer, please let me know!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • If it "sounds" that way it wasn't my intention. No, I have not taken it into the dealership as of yet, as it is only a "morning, one time" problem and from reading the other comments more than likely all I'll get from the dealership is "bad gas." Yeah, well as a working mother, I can't lose my car for a day or however long it takes them to determine that it's the gas or SAY it's the gas 'cause they couldn't "duplicate" the problem or whatever.

Now if you'd like to contact Classic GMC in Arlington, Tx and work out a loaner situation with them or whatever and then contact me back, hey...that would be great! I'll take it to them today and they can keep it for however long it takes, at no charge to me. Let me know how that works for you.
    mrsfyredude,

I'm sorry for misunderstanding! I saw the phrase "GM saying it's bad gas" and assumed that you had been working with your dealership. I certainly understand how integral a part a vehicle plays in daily life, as well, and respect the fact that you do not want to be without transportation.

We can call Classic to see about alternative transportation, but would need to get a Service Request set up first through our department. If you would like to pursue this further, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, address and phone, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hello Guys,

I live in Jordan (middle-east). I found a 2008 GMC acadia that was imported from the US, but the VIN number consists of 18 digits. When I tried to lookup the car on carfax, it says it is invalid (there is not even a way to enter an eighteen digit vin number). The VIN number should not be more than 17 digits, so I am not sure what is going on?

Any thoughts about this issue? Any way to check the history of the car in the US considering the 18 digits VIN?

Best
    Eddie
  • After reading "octoberblue" response above, and note the 9 month old posting, I am faced with the same dilemma about replacing my DRL. Contrary to many postings within this Forum, I've been nothing but pleased with my 2007 Acadia SLT 4WD (96,000 miles), so much so that my daughter bought a 2011 Acadia.

However, I bought replacement DRL bulbs yesterday and now trying to find a website that guides the replacement process. Can someone direct me to a site? From reading several posts on this topic, don't want to (1) send $300 to have the dealer do this, and (2) hope to find a reasonable process to minimize scraped knuckles and attacking the wrong way.

Appreciate any assistance. Thanks, Air Guard Guy
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You will need to lower the plastic wheel housing by removing the tabs and screws. Since this is your first attempt I would recommend removing the tire. Once more adept, removing the tire is unnecessary. The wheel housing is two piece and removing the front facing piece is all that's required to gain access to the headlights. Relatively easy but time consuming.
  • I purchased my Acadia 2008 and really love my car. But over the past two years I have noticed that I been having problems with my steering. I have taken my car to my local GMC dealership, (not where I purchase the car) and been having my maintenance done there. On several occassion I have informed them that I was having problems with my steering and they told me that they have checked it out. The only problem they see is that I needed new tires. Fine so I purchase new tires, car works fine for a couple weeks, then I go to make a left turn and car wouldn't turn. No it wasn't raining. I took it back and the rep. said that she also felt the problem and proceeded to check it out also. Again, said nothing is wrong, so I have been just dealing with it. But the final straw is when I'm driving and go to make a turn and car won't turn all the way. Thank god I had the sense to stop before hitting another vehicle. So here is my question. Has anyone else had problems with their steering? And is this repair covered under my warranty?
  • Obyone - Followed your instructions and all is well. After trying to work around the wheel housing with tire on, finally realized "this is stupid" so removed wheel. Able to remove housing without ruining any tabs, and got to the DRL bulb. Took some time replacing the bulb back in compartment, as the space is tight for hand work. I was able to complete the replacement at a cost of $6.75 (for two bulbs)....a good deal, thanks to your assistance.

Appreciate your information.
    Good morning tmiller87,

Thanks for posting! If we can follow up with your dealership on this, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership as well as the date of your appointment. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will advise you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Glad it helped.
    Hello Eddie,

I would be happy to see if there's any information I could get to if you wanted to send me the last 8 digits of the VIN (email it to socialmedia@gm.com).

Take care,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am also a 2007 Acadia owner 30,000 miles that is experiencing a loss of power steering sometimes, during damp to wet conditions. I am attempting to get this dangerous issue seriously addressed and dealt with. For the past 2 yrs I have had this occur putting myself and others in danger. The bottom line is my dealership claims to not have any knowledge of the cause of this issue! Although I have seen a lot of posts just on this website. They have added splash guards last year and that did not fix it. I am afraid to drive this car during any wet conditions. This is an extremely dangerous situation. I am asking anyone else who has experienced this problem to please contact me as I am looking to compile a list of those affected by this on this website and others in an attempt to get it addressed by GM.
    Did you ever get anywhere with your loss of steering issue. I to have the same issue and am trying to get some type of resolution.