Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• cindy60cindy60 Posts: 9
    Caron, I personally did not go to dealer bc it wld take a wk before they cld look at it another wk or two to get parts. My local Bridgetown who discovered the leak, had the part the nxt day and ready to roll the nxt.
  • khankerkhanker Posts: 9
    I have been reading these complaints and have experienced pretty much every one of the things I have read...the latest being rain water literally leaking in both sides of the car completely soaking our floor mats and dripping on our feet! This took place 4 days after totally having to replace the transmission... it went out in the middle of a busy street with my 2 small children in the car! We had a leak in the master cylinder, had to replace the steering unit and it still squeaks when you turn it. I have the popping noise under the gas pedal, have had multiple mini repairs (seatbelt fray, air bag light, panels coming off, leaks, replace adaptor etc). We are done! We have a claim filed with GM but an still waiting for a call back. We have serious concerns about the safety of the car and want to sell it back. Any help would be appreciated. It is a 2008 and there are about 46,000 miles on it.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Do you have documentation of these problems being worked on during the 3/36 factory warranty period? After 4 years of ownership it would be difficult to find any type of recourse. You may have a better idea after consulting with an attorney as to what your options might be.
    Yes I have documentation of the problems and almost all occurred during the 3/36 warranty, except the master cylinder leak which GM paid for the part and a chunk of labor as a concession since they couldn't explain why it happened to a relatively new car just outside of warranty. The transmission was covered under the 100,000 powertrain warranty and we are still waiting to hear on the sunroof leaks, thumping sound and steering unit which has already been replaced once under their warranty! They said the sunroof leak was caused b/c we park our car under a tree and the leaves clogged it. Well my family has lived in our home for 20plus years and all of our cars had sunroofs and we've never had water literally seaping into our car through the panels b/c of leaves! If that was the case our entire town would have leaks since we live in a heavily tree-lined area. So frustrating... particularly bc we bought the car when our 3rd child was born bc we wanted something reliable and I have spent more time in the shop and with rental cars these last 3 years than I have my entire driving career. And such a pain with small children... not to mention the safety factors. I am hoping to hear from our district manager soon but if not am going to consult an attorney because we have been more than patient, and have always fufilled our part of maintaining the vehicle and bringing it in for the recalls. We just want a fair deal to get something more reliable, especially since we paid so much for the car to begin with.
  • This is my customer service #...71-919156064....I was hoping this would've been resolved by now. We have sent a email to GM on results of the oil sample recently taken. Can email if needed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    khanker,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance, have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • acadia4meacadia4me Posts: 7
    I bought a 2011 GMC Acadia SLT2 AWD at the beginning of September 2010. By the end of the month after putting 1000 miles on it I had it into the dealership because of the abysmal gas mileage. At the time I was getting 9 miles in city, and a WHOPPING 14mpg on the highway in a vehicle rated for 16/24. The dealership initially refused to even look at the car stating that it was still in break in. Come back at 5000 miles. They eventually hooked it up to the computer and pronoucned all the trims were in specs nothing wrong with the car. How in the world could a car getting barely above half the EPA ratings have nothing wrong with it?? But for now... I will drive it some more. Come January after putting those 5000 miles on I was now up to averaging 11mpg city and still 14mpg on the highway still a far cry from the 16/24. Once again they looked at the car and said nothing was wrong with it. I spoke to the service manager, warranty manager, and dealership manager. Their conclusion? Some cars take longer to break in, give it up to 10k miles. Then they agreed to do a fuel consumption test when a loaner was available. Apparently that never happened...

Now at over 11,000 miles I am seeing 12 in city, and even once managed a 16, and 18mpg trip on the highway with cruise control (as usual on a FLAT, no stopping trip). My lifetime average in this vehicle is 14.4MPG including many, many roadtrips with nothing more than myself, a weekend bag, and 60lbs worth of passengers other than myself. I again took the car to the dealership this morning and was told there is nothing wrong with the car. It must be my driving.

I am not an aggressive driver. I have driven new cars before this one including 2 Jeeps, and a Toyota and have never in the life of the vehicles (sold at 14, 11, and 7 years) EVER gotten more then 1-2MPG off sticker and on 2 out of the 3 got sticker mileage until late in their lives.

There is something wrong with THIS PARTICULAR vehicle. And GMC doesn't seem the lest bit interested in doing anything about it.

It's heartbreaking because I love every single other thing about this vehicle...
  • marcwaynemarcwayne Posts: 1
    I currently own a 2010 GMC Acadia which has 27K miles. I have taken the car into the 2 dealerships now 5 times over the 20 months for a constant squeak in the brakes that started around 13K miles. The brake noise happens the moment you drive out of the garage until you get to your destination. The first 3 trips to the dealer I was told it was due to dust in the brakes, the way I drive and other driving conditions. Finally the 4th trip to the dealership (after contacting GMC Customer Assistance) they found cracks in the front pads and replaced them and one of the rotors had grooves in it (which they refaced). Within a month the problem came back so I took into the dealerships again where I was told that there was nothing wrong with it.

Since then I have had subsequent conversations with GMC Customer Assistance and a supervisor who basically told me that since nothing performance wise is wrong with the brakes there is nothing that they can do about. Even when posed with the question that if you had 5 things in your car squeaking constantly, but performed fine, you would tell the customer to live with it. I asked for a factory technician or someone else to take a look at or any other departments I could talk to about this issue and they basically told me they were the last line for the customer to go to and that I would have to live with the squeak. I also asked about different types of brake pads and they told me that would be at my expense, which I refuse at this point.

This squeak is absolutely annoying and is driving my wife insane and I know there is something wrong because the brakes should not be doing this all the time. Besides this issue I have had the rack & pinion replaced 2 times, issues with my HVAC, FOBs, Seat Belt Recall, and the buttons on the radio and AC are wearing off.

At this point I am at wits end because this car only has 27K miles on it and we still have the brake issue and the list of other problems. What is going to happen next?

I am looking for advice on how to handle this because I am absolutely getting no help from GMC. I am thinking of filing a complaint with California Department of Consumer Affairs, but other than that I am not sure on what recourse I have in this situation.

Please HELP!
    edited June 2011
    Caron,
    Yes I have spoken with them. Supposedly at this point the district manager is in discussions with the dealer. The case number is 71-954-324-319. I'd appreciate you looking into it as well and any help you could offer.
    Thanks,
    Kim Hanker
    acadia4me,
    I apologize for your concerns. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance reguardign your concerns?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Yes. I called Customer Service. Their recommendation was to send me to another dealer's service department for a second opinion. I have an appointment on Monday.
    acadia4me,

Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    The second dealer did the same thing the first did - hooked it up to the computer and reported that there were no error codes. Everything's fine. Nothing wrong with the vehicle. After I complianed more, a tech drove the car and acknowledged that the "mileage was low." Though I don't know how they determined that - maybe just watching the built in MPG reading as they drove?

Their recommendation was for me to record mileage and gas consumption for a while. I told them I had that information from day 1 on the vehicle and sent it to them. Waiting to hear back now...
    acadia4me,

Thank you for the update. Please keep me posted after you hear more information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • Car @ the dealer now. It was pouring in the car. It turned out to be the 2nd sunroof which does not open so it flooded the fuse box and the car wont start without a jump. I picked up the car after it being @ the dealer for 3 days and dropped it off the next day. it was dead again the next morning . It cost 1400.00 b/c extended warranty expired. I really regret getting this truck. The service airbag sign constantly on. That was temporarily repaired with duct tape b/c the clips would not stick properly. That was their solution.
  • Oh yes my transmission was acting up and I did take it in to the dealer and they would say nothing was wrong. Until it really started jerking. then they checked and we were told that certain VIN's had trans problem. that a plate would crack but there was no recall. thankfully our warranty was still in force. I'm just sooo disappointed in GMC. we previously had a Jimmy and it was perfect.
  • duijiduiji Posts: 17
    I would dig a little deeper into why it leaked. Mine leaked in on the second sunroof and it was because of some holes that should not have been there or should have been plugged. I found mold growing in the rear compartment before finding the leak. I don't think it should be a warranty issue because nothing went wrong or broke it was never made right to start with and there are many others who this happened to. GM should come good on it but they won't. Mine was 2007 what a gem that turned out to be for $38,000. I had to get rid of it with less then 40,000 miles on it.

Good luck, you'll need it.
  • bhoppykbhoppyk Posts: 3
    I also had the same problem; bought one day had to take it back to the dealer for over a week the first time due to the leak. The second time they finally figured out that the sunroof leak had caused the fuse box to rust and i had to jump it off every time, or the radio would come on all by itself with no keys in the ignition, or sometimes when you would turn off the vehicle and take out the key it would stay running. Three times we had to take it to the dealership......thank God they repaired it all for FREE!! Pending no more problems, I love the Acadia...but GMC should have to answer to this because i have seen this issue on Edmunds several times. This is my first GMC vehicle!!
  • I accidentally came across this site and was curious so I started reading some posts. This one caught my attention because it was about gas.

I purchased a used 2010 Acadia with approx. 8400 miles in Aug 2010. I'm really not into reading the manual unless I need to look for something specific. After driving it for a couple of months I noticed a change in gas mileage and it seems the engine was a bit sluggish at times. I don't do much traveling ( I only put about 35000 miles on my last vehicle in 5 yrs ) so I didn't think much about it since it was only happening occasionally.

Last December after the first snowfall I received message " Park Assist Off" while in reverse. I didn't know why I was getting that message so I got my manual out to find out what it meant. The snow had covered the sensors on the bumper and it couldn't detect anything in my way. While reading about that I noticed a section about the Fuel and continued reading. There is where I realized that I needed to be using TOP TIER DETERGENT Gasoline and I was not aware of that. I had been using different gasoline since I purchased my Acadia. Needless to say there are no gas stations in my immediate area that carry this gasoline but you can get GM Fuel System Treatment Plus from dealer to use with other gasolines.
    Since I started using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline ( or adding the Fuel Treatment ) that fixed the sluggish issue and also improved gas mileage.

If you were not aware of the Top Tier Detergent gasoline, this might be what is causing the poor gas mileage you are having.
  • cettafirecettafire Posts: 3
    I've always had a GM vehicle so this car has been quite the disappointment for me. I got this car for my 30th birthday, and it ran fine for about 2 yrs but it's slowly falling apart and I can't afford the maintanence so we're trading it in. We've had the sunroof drain tubes replaced twice but they are leaking again (apparently the Florida heat isn't good for these vehicles). I've had my power steering repaired. My headlights have both had the lamps replaced (who designs a car that requires 2+ hours of work to change a bulb?). Now my car literally won't turn off. It started today. I can turn the car off, get out and the engine is still running and it's shaking. It sputters and then stops. I do have 109,000 miles on the car, but I drove my Pontiac to over 200,000 and my Alero is at 160,000 and still going strong.
    As a result of all the problems we've decided to cut our losses and try to trade it in and hopefully get what we still owe in trade in value. I'm disappointed, and have told everyone I know not to buy a GM product ever again. It's sad that the quality could so dramatically drop from 2004 (my Alero) to 2008.
    I can only hope someone reads this post and I can keep them from making the same mistake I made. I wish I'd never bought the car.

-Melissa