Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    We're so glad to hear that you've been enjoying your Acadia so much, obravada! Many more happy miles!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lovegmc1lovegmc1 Posts: 37
    edited July 2012
    Honestly, I think that this is a small issue, and if the dealership looked carefully at it, would either find no problem, or possible some minor issue. I have a 2012 with 20k on it now, and recall one time where the needle reached higher than normal: when it was on almost all day long in 90 degree, humid, weather, transporting and with the a/c going. Who knows, there might be something like a misreading within your car where it thinks it isn't hot, but is. Hopefully, soon we can get a hybrid trailer, so I can keep posted if it overheats then, but mostly, just enjoy the luxurious ride and copious features :).
  • I'm driving along and l look down to check my speed when I notice the Speedo and RPM gauges are stuck at 0. All the other gauges are working normal. Temp gauge always runs right on 210. Volt gauge runs 1-2 hash marks above 13. I drive the car a few more miles then I notice I have no turn signal indicaters. Thus far no warning lights on the dash have appeared. I park the SUV and wait about thirty minutes then start the car and all gauges work fine. I took the SUV to the mechanic shop and they put the meter on the remote battery terminals to check the voltage. It shows that the volts are in fact dropping out and everything points to the alternator being bad. The SUV didn't throw any codes either which is odd. The gauges continue to act up after replacing the alternator and the battery. I took the SUV to the GMC dealership and they can not find anything wrong with it. All the way home from the dealership the gauges bounced all over the place. One minute the temp gauge was at 210 the next it was over 210. The car should not be running hot. The fuel gauge showed I had burned half a tank of gas to go less than 20 miles. The volt gauge started out over 13 when I started the suv up at the dealership then dropped to 13 at the first red light I came to. Then it ran below 13 until the next stop I made then spiked back up to 13. Can anyone tell me what else to check on this? I am over $400 in the hole for this and not sure what to check next. I hate to think it could be something as simple as the fuse to the cluster panel...
  • We would be more than happy to follow up on this with your dealership for you. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealer, and information about your most recent visit there (date, cost, etc).
  • I heard about this "cupping" of the tires associated with the Acadia's. I am getting ready to get 4 new tires on Friday. Cooper CS4 Touring. Any advise on tires that will lesson my chances of "cupping"
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Have the vehicle aligned the same day as the installation of the tires.
  • cs350cs350 Posts: 5
    Rotate your tires religiously every 6,000 miles and have a true 4 wheel alignment done. If you still notice uneven wear on your tires, begin rotating every 3,000 miles. It sucks but there are some vehicles out there that you simply have to rotate tires every oil change. Also, if for some strange reason you actually follow the ridiculous gm oil life light for your oil changes, be sure to check your oil level every 1,000 miles or so. If not, you may find yourself 3 or 4 quarts down by the time your oil change message comes on. GM considers 1 qt every 2,000 miles to be acceptable oil loss.
  • miaapmiaap Posts: 2
    I have had this Acadia now almost 4 years ('08 Model), and it's been one thing after another wrong with it. My beef is also with why so many parts are breaking, and yet nothing comes up in my multipoint inspections. These repairs are expensive and keep catching us off guard. In the last 2 years, the entire steering had to be replaced. Twice! One under warrantly, the other out of pocket. Now, my steering is doing the same thing again! I've been told its a problem with this model, so why aren't these repairs covered when outside of warranty? It seems that I've replaced everything under the sun with this vehicle, CV Joints, Airbag sensors, the transmission, the AC condenser hose,etc. Each time I do these repairs, I'm out an entire paycheck. It just seems so wrong. :cry:
  • I am in the same situation with our 08 with no help from GMAC. What does it take for them to recall and fix the issues? Is it because this vehicle was manufactured pre-bailout so now GMC does not care about the rest of us? My 08 has had issues and still does. I can not afford to fix all of them and we are out of warranty. If anyone has any helpful suggestions please forward them to me.

Alex
  • My husband and I have had the same problem with an 08 and a 10. The 08 fell under the lemon law so we were given a 10 and the same exact thing started happening. I think we were able to drive it for a year and a half before the real problems started. We just cut out losses and get rid of the damn thing. I will never ever but another GMC vehicle again. My husband and I had many sleepless nights over these vehicles. Now every time we see an Acadia on the road we call the people driving them victims. That is exactly how we felt when we owned one of these things. We we sold it to car max I told my husband that is not even the same vehicle that we purchased because any and everything that could be replaced was. I think GMC needs to step up to the plate on this.
  • I purchased a new 2012 Acadia SLE in late April of this year. I have repeatedly had this car in the shop for several problems and based on my experience with this GMC, I WILL NOT be purchasing another GM vehicle. I am very dissatisfied. The problem that I am having is that the A/C blower speed drops when the brakes are applied and the engine speed slows. The A/C recirculate button will also cut off spontaneously. Today, while riding in the second row, I realized that the rear A/C stopped blowing all together following one of these blower speed drops while braking and coming to a stop, despite the light on the rear A/C button STILL TURNED ON. We had to turn the rear a/c button off then turn it back on to make air blow. All of these things happen simultaneously with the needle on the voltage meter dropping. There seems to be a power supply problem that causes it to shed power from anything non-essential ( in my case, the A/C). Although it happens very frequently, it does not happen 100% of the time, therefore making it hard to replicate on demand. My dealerships service department has after several unsuccessful A/C repair attempts has told me the blower speed change is "a normal characteristic" of the vehicle. I DO NOT buy this response. There is absolutely nothing normal about these "characteristics". If this is normal for a GM product, I will soon be purchasing another Honda or Toyota, both of which I have owned with absolutely NO service trips. I have driven 10 loaner vehicles since purchasing this Acadia and still have this problem. Has anyone had this or a similar issue?? And how can I get help from GM on a corporate level? My dealers service dept. doesn't seem to have the answer. PLEASE HELP!
  • Had you already contacted the Customer Assistance Center? If so, please send us your case number or the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com (or, if you would like for us to set up a case for you to look into this further you can include your name, phone, and address as well).
  • Good morning,
    If we can look into this situation further, please send us the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    I am sorry to say this, but you were unfortunately driving a lemon. The 08's had problems, but they were bettered by 10, so you simply were unlucky.

As for the 12 with blower fan issues, we have 21,000 miles on our 12 and we have had not one problem with it. It is the nicest vehicle I have owned, (and I've owned an Acura MDX) and will continue to love it for years to come, unless it gets totaled in an accident, which is rare considering the commendable crash test scores it gets :)
  • I knew that I was driving a lemon in 08 that was confirmed by GMC and the BBB that is how I got the 10. I don't think I was simply unlucky with the 10 I just think that GMC Acadia is a piece of crap! If I was simply unlucky there was a bunch of unlucky people in 10s with me at the dealership at the service department.

It is wonderful that you have not had any issues with your 12 I hope that continues to be the situation for you. You still have some miles to go you were only at 21,000 when you get to about 40,00 let me know how it's going for you.

I am not here to bash GMC just giving a little glimpse into what happen to my family and I. It is my opinion that the Acadia is garbage. Yes its a very nice looking vehicle and that's it!

Enjoy your day and your 12 Acadia:)
  • I'm happy you haven't had one problem with your 2012. And I certainly hope your prediction of "loving it for many years to come" is accurate. I, however, have not been able to keep mine out of the service dept. long enough to fall in "love" with it. Believe me, I would much rather be surfing the Internet for fun, rather than looking to forums like this to solve problems for a vehicle that hasn't even had its first oil change.
  • Please call the NHTSA and open a complaint file for any of the problems - GM doesn't have to assist with fixing anything if there isn't a bulletin issued. The NHTSA won't issue a bulletin unless they get enough complaints about it.

1-800-424-9153 www.safercar.gov
  • Thank you for the information! I will do that.
  • I would also make a complaint with the BBB you will be surprise they work wonders. Have you had your Vehicle for less then 18 months? If so you need to get with BBB ASAP also write GMC a certified letter explaining everything that has happened with your vehicle. I have went through this process twice one with a 08 and another time with a 10. If you need anymore information let me know I will be happy to help.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Plus you'll get spammed. Thanks.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Honestly, I have talked to many people with acadias of all years and only talked to two out of about fifty people with complaints. (one was an 07 and one was a 10)Many of these people I've talked to have 10's.This is a forum about problems and repairs, so obviously people who write here mostly have complaints. About the 10's at your dealership with you, I honestly believe you are either making it up or this is some major unfortunate coincidence. You may know a few people with bad ones, but I know more people with good ones, including myself. If you would like to believe that the Acadia is a "piece of crap" then look at the reliability ratings from consumer reports, they improve in 10 and even more in 11. If every person with an Acadia was doomed to have a lemon, this would NOT be the case. And yes I will follow up when I get to 40,000, but if the acadia was so bad then more people wouldn't have them, and gmc wouldn't still be making them. I hope whatever issues you, your family, and the people at the service dept. have had have been resolved.
    Possibly you have a bad a/c system. I am truly sorry to read this issue. It mist be extremely frustrating! Hopefully when they solve the issue you won't be back in service for awhile!
    Best of luck-lovegmc1
  • Are you really serious?? Haha, I wish that I was making this up but I am not. I could say that you are making things up about having this wonderful Acadia but who am I to say that. If you say you have this wonderful vehicle who am I to dispute that. That is wonderful for you. I have spoken to people that Love their Acadia and have had no problem. I have spoken to more with problems. I guess they are making up problems as well. Why would I get on a forum and lie I have no reason to do that.

Like I said before Acadia's are garbage. At least with the experience that I have had with them. That is why I don't have the 08 or the 10. Like I said before enjoy your 12:) #Themakeupqueen The Acadia's have major issues!!!!!
    edited August 2012
    I wasn't saying you are making up things i was simply surprised to see so many complaints. I also said it could be a coincidence, not a big deal, but don't say that acadias are garbage or crap only because you have had issues with yours. They sell a lot of acadias, so even if 1% of people have problems with them there are still a great number of people. Honestly, I have talked to at LEAST fifty people and two of those had issues. Once, a gentleman asked us about ours and he had also spoken to a bunch of very happy, problem free acadia owners That is real life statistics and one of the reasons we bought it. This is a forum, so most people on here are going to have issues, but in all reality, the Acadia is not some lemon car with tons of issues. If it was, nobody would buy them, and the do sell
    very well! The old acadias had major issues, but after 2008 they really worked on fixing these issues(and made progress[if you don't believe me, try true delta or consumer reports]). Just because a few people had issues doesn't mean everybody does. I, so far, have had better luck with the thing than in my MDX.
  • yesmamyesmam Posts: 1
    Please file a complaint with safercar.gov
    Go to “vehicle owners” then it will guide you through filing a complaint-that’s how recalls get started,.
    I have filed a complaint about the stabiltrak issue and only 5 other Acadia owners have done so, yet this thread about problems with stabilitrak and brake warning lights and messages coming on has more than 50 comments while surfing web. THANKS!
  • I have three beautiful children that I have to take to daycare, school, games, doctor appointments, etc and thought this was a nice looking very helpful and dependable vehicle that our family could use to do the job. Oh boy. I have owned this 10 since February of 2011. I have taken this hunk of junk to the dealership more than 5 times. The oxygen sensors went out-I had them replaced. The rack and pinion had to be replaced. The lift gate shocks had to be replaced. The water pump had to be replaced and as of today the power steering pump. Not to mention the $900 set of cooper tires that we had put on because the Goodyear brand roared like mud tires. Lo and behold there are only two sets to choose from. The Cooper's roar too. Even though some of this was covered by warranty we have honestly spent more money to FIX this vehicle than the yearly payment! There is a HORRID smell of wet dog/mold/mildew that comes out of the vents when you turn on the air/heat. It seriously makes you gag. This will be the last acadia or GMC product this mother will buy. This was an experience I will never forget.
    edited August 2012
    The 2010s didn't even have an in cabin air filter, which is the cause of the mildew smell. For the power steering, did you have the wrong fluid put in? Or did you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right? These might cause it to break over time. As for the water pump and the lift gate shocks, sounds like one of those freak unlucky things. Also, how many miles do you have on it?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,169
    motherof3girls,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with your vehicle. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into your situation further. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • khankerkhanker Posts: 9
    I too have 3 small kids and bought it for similar reasons to you... functionality and most importantly safety. Unfortunately, I too had a horrible experience the entire time we owned it. We had so many problems, I cannot name them all but I felt I lived in the dealership and in rental cars for the 2 1/2 years we owned it (which was a big pain with car seats and kid stuff!) The most glaring (but by no means not the only problems we had) were the steering column had to be replaced twice, the transmission once and we had the sunroof leaked to the point that the entire front seats/floor was soaking wet after a rainstorm resulting in mildew and horrible smells. (which could explain your smell... you may have a small leak that might get worse when you are in a bad rain) After 2 1/2 years and enduring these issues, the worst of which was when the transmission went out in the middle of an intersection with my 3 kids in the car, we called GMC and after some negotiation got a small rebate to put towards another car. We were hesitant to stay with GMC but we loved our dealership and the lengths they went to to help us, so we traded it in for a Yukon and I couldn't be happier with it! A year and a half in we have had no problems, it runs great and is a much sturdier vehicle. It is big, but I've found that as the kids get bigger we need the space for friends and stuff. So my advice to you is get rid of the Acadia and cut your losses. It will probably only get much worse and the problems with the steering, transmission and leaks is rampant (just read through this forum). I really think GMC is blowing it by putting these Acadias out with so many problems, but I have to say that we have been very pleased with the Yukon so good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • Ok, so I am trying to follow the discussion about headlight problems but I am getting lost in all the other stuff. Has anyone been able to resolve these headlight issues without paying a fortune? I have had mine replaced multiple times and now it needs to be done again but they want a couple hundred dollars and I can't pay that. Since they know this is a problem, I think they should fix it and recall the part that causes the problem. Does anyone know how to get it covered by the dealer or manufacturer since I am over the warranty mileage by a few hundred miles?