Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• We thought the same thing with the TSB number given to our dealer and they advised us that NOT enough Acadia owners have complained about the same issue to warrant a free exchange. They wanted us to pay and I do think that is fair we have to pay for their flaw in the vehicle especially one that is so dangerous.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    A TSB is issued by GM to their dealerships to keep them aware that there are issues where enough owners have complained that they have made an effort to correct the problem or have justification to "ignore" the problem. While under the bumper to bumper 36month/36,000 mile factory warranty they will perform the repair at no charge. However, you are on your own after that period.

Unfair as it may seem there are instances where the dealer goes to bat for their customer an often gets the repair done for free or heavily discounted. That doesn't often happen but I've seen it done before. Course you do need to have some kind of relationship with the dealer whether personally knowing the owner, GM, GSM, or service manager.
  • I bought my 2008 Acadia new (first new car I've ever owned) What a mistake. It has had the front stabilizer bars replaced, the power steering pump replaced and the rack & pinion steering gears were replaced. All of these repairs were not covered by the warranty and it has been expensive to keep it running. And to add insult to injury from day one, water was coming in near the drivers feet when it rained and the moisture would kill the engine somehow, and it was in for repairs many many times until they got that fixed. Latest update, I went in to get new tires and the technician said there is a bad noise coming from the drive train area, so that must be the source of the noise I've been hearing (LOUD). I thought a bearing was going out, yet it seems to be the rear differential. Now my GMC dealership, who has done ALL of my repairs for many thousands of dollars, wants $123 to replace the dangerously shiny bezels on the vents and shifter. I thought the TSB would warrant this one little repair to be covered... but again they will only do it AT MY EXPENSE.
  • plouieplouie Posts: 2
    I had this bulletin performed today. No cost, but I understand that was because the car is still in warranty. The Service Mgr. at my dealership had not heard of the bulletin, but when I gave him the TSB number (Thanks to this forum!) I had no hassle and he had the parts in in three days. The glare was such a significant problem for me that I probably would have considered paying if necessary.

If I may, a general reflection on this whole discussion: Everyone reacts differently to visual stimuli. My son has an Acadia, and says that the glare is only an occasional minor annoyance. He's in his 40s. I on the other hand have eyes that are in their 70s. If you haven't found this out yet, you will: Eyes lose their ability to rapidly adjust to changing light as you age, and some individuals may experience it at any age. In my case, the glare was actually painful and there were times when I had to drive with my hand in front of the glare in order to safely see the road. Sunglasses helped with the glare but made it hard to see the road after my eyes tried to accomodate to the bright light. I was just about ready to try painting the vents black. Different strokes, I guess, but let's understand that what the other person thinks is a product of how his or her body reacts.

I've got to add that I was led to this forum by a Google search on the glare problem, not because I have any other complaints about the vehicle. 2012 Denali, 7 months old, 9K+ miles, 20+mpg average with a fair amount of city driving. Other than a minor door misadjustment and the present subjective issue, I have not had one warranty complaint. Dare I say it in this Hotbed of Hate Acadia -- I love this car. It has exceeded every expectation of quality and usefulness I had for it. I just counted and I have owned 18 or so cars,
    many of them new, from the US Big Three and AMG (talk about a disaster!), Asia, and Europe, (no Yugo!) and I perceive this to be the best of the lot.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe my time will come. If it does, I'll be back.
  • We're glad to hear that you've been pleased with your Acadia, plouie, and wish you many more happy miles! If anything should ever come up where you wanted to get in touch with us about a vehicle concern, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • plouieplouie Posts: 2
    Sarah, please add Lambert Buick/GMC in Cuyahoga Falls, OH to your list of good guys. From a painless pricing and buying experience to this latest (and only) service, they have been a pleasure to work with!

Paul
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,228
    Please visit Dealer Ratings and Reviews and fill out a review. Thanks!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Air removed solved thus far my steering problem. I paid for it. $260. Now there is a popping noise in my sterring colume. Dealer says it is a strut mount pin? Should a 55,000 mile 2008 Acadia have this issue? Also, Drive belt is being replaced. Total repair cost: $570 Seems like GMC would cover the cost of the strut issue as it is a common repair here on the board.
  • I bought my Acadia in 2008. We have had a couple of minor problems with stabilitrak senors and the steering column wining. Nothing too major. But for the last YEAR we have had no radio. Well we have part of a radio. It sounds like the only part that works is the high pitched tweeter part. Also we have no blinker sounds or Onstar. The dispaly on the radio went out as well. After a whole year we have figured out that sometimes the sound returns if it is really dry outside with no moisture and we will all rejoice when we get to listen to the radio for a day. This is only possible because I have preset stations on my radio and can push a button for the station we want to hear(beause you can't tell what station it is on with the display not working). If it is foggy, damp or raining you can hang it up, no sound at all. I commute to school an hour away and it it so freaking quiet i want to scream. I used to enjoy listening to my lecture notes on the way to school. The dealership I took it to has no idea what is wrong and wants to charge me several hundred dollars in labor to "try to figure it out". SO chances are several hundred dollars later I still will not have a radio. Is there a recall or anything out there because I have googled it and a ton of people are having this problem too. IT is sad that I want to trade in an entire vehicle just because my radio is broken. Please help. Thanks!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,071
    Hello kendra78,

We're sorry to hear that you are so frustrated with your Acadia. If you would like for us to follow up on your appointment with your dealership for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a summary of the situation).

• I have a 2007 Acadia, with 70,000 miles. I have replaced the rotors twice, and machined down twice and replaced the pads 4 times, I dropped it off this morning to have brakes fixed again. This is due to a real bad shake in the steering wheel while pressing the brakes. Dealer tells me that this is not a common occurrence with the Acadia? Has anyone else gone through this? Very dissatisfied with this vehicle.
    Hello flanman04,

If you had wanted for us to check into the brake concerns you've been having, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• kelickelic Posts: 1
    I bought my 2010 Acadia about 3 months ago...waited sooo long to get this vehicle after my divorce and this being my first "big" purchase on my own, well, needless to say what a mistake I made. I bought it at the end of July 2012 and the first week in October 2012 I noticed I had a leak. To the shop I go, where the mechanic tells me I need to go over to the Critz GMC building...all the way across town...because I have a transmission leak AND an oil leak. So, in a panic and about to cry I go across town to find out what is wrong. Customer service wisks me in tells me they will take care of everything not to worry and hands me keys to a rental car and tells me they will call me tomorrow. In a tizzy I drove home...a week later I picked up my acadia and felt alittle better because this was covered under my powertrain warranty, well the next day all of my ABS lights came on and loud dinging started and I drove slowly BACK across town and in another panic I went to the GMC place and was told the mechanic had "accidently" pinched my brake line up in between things when he was replacing everything else, and since it was their fault they would fix this for me....how sweet of them!!! So home I go again with another rental, 3 days later I returned to pick up my Acadia and went on my merry way AGAIN, 2 days later I heard an awful noise when I would turn my wheel to the right, and noticed AGAIN a leak under my truck. BACK to the GMC place I go and at this time I was told my powersteering "box" needed replacing and this was NOT covered under my power train warranty and that it would cost me "hmmm about 1500 bucks" I immediately started crying not knowing what in the world to do, who to call or who to ask to help me...single mother of 3...no boyfriend, no mechanic friends...JUST ME!! I take my truck home and call back to the place I had originally bought the truck from, well they wanted to make a deal with me and charge me only 1000 bucks instead of 1500. I paid 1000 out of pocket to fix this truck, and this week the jerking and leak has now shown back up again...a 2010 should not be having these type problems right??? Nobody seems to want to help me, they just blow me off or talk to me like I am stupid...well I am not stupid, my previous truch was a GMC yukon, which I absolutely loved and never had any problems with, still runs great with almost 189,000 miles on it...what in the world...
  • I bought my GMC Acadia in Fairbanks, AK in 2011 while stationed there with the USAF. Sure enough we got orders to England soon thereafter. Does anyone know if there is someone in the UK who will honor the extended warranty I purchased? Thanks

Tim
  • Belt changed and strut mount....$622. Cranked the next morning and guess what? Same noise from steering colume and squeaking sound in front of engine remains. $622 for repairs I feel like were not needed since I came home with the same problem.

Does anyone know the Service Bulletin # for strut mounts. My dealer acts if they have no knowledge of Steering issues or mount. I am stuck and they could careless. I will try selling and buying another car. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Paint on tab you press for ac, position of blowing, etc. Speed adjustments also for fan to the far left arrows pointing up and down, paint as completely come off and now I have a green spot. Driver side door support has broken. I pointed this out to the service manager on the loaner he allowed me to use. He hadn't noticed and would get that fixed asap less than 3000 miles.
  • No way, stay away from this vehicle, way too many problems to list here. I have a 2007 and has been in the shop over 40 times for all the problems. I would hate for you to be as frustrated as I have been.
    We're sorry that you're encountering these difficulties with your Acadia, kelic. If we can look into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the names of your dealerships).

• Sarah,
    We too have had to replace our transmission because of the wave plate. Ours quit on a steep hill and I had to direct traffic until a help arrived!
  • I purchased my Denali 7/9/2012, and had it back to the dealer on 7/12/2012 for obvious paint issues on the molding. Where the molding contacts the body, the paint obviously rubs off fairly quickly -- within days of manufacture.

1. The dealer took pictures and sent them to General Motors.
    2. GM gave it to their engineering.
    3. Engineering came back and said that they know they have a problem but if they paint it will not match.
    4. The dealer offered to paint it anyway.
    5. The paint does not match.
    6. GM will not do anything more for me at this point.
    7. My case is in arbitration.
    8. I've looked multiple Denali's at multiple dealerships -- this issue is not in any way unique to my vehicle, literally every Denali I've inspected has this issue.
    9. My dealer has also explained that every Acadia Denali of my model year/class has come in with similar issues.

What are my next steps here?

Background: I'm a loyal GM buyer -- I've been buying and driving GM products for 30 years. I'm amazed that it's come to this, me asking my dealer to resolve a simple cosmetic issue and GM basically saying "no, we're not going to fix this." I've never had an experience like this -- especially can't believe that I'm seeing this on a 50k+ vehicle. The fact that every one I inspect has this issue tells me that something is wrong at a fundamental level.

An example of what I'm talking about can be found here:
    http://i.imgur.com/puYVy.jpg
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    edited November 2012
    Have you filed a complaint with BBB online? I would suggest documenting every conversation and email and file a complaint with the BBB. They can initiate the buyback process. That is of course if you want it bought back.

You could also take it to a reputable body shop and get an estimate and see if the dealer would agree to warrantying the bill. The dealer has more say in this matter since they are dealing with you the customer. I've seen dealerships go to bat for the customer with surprising results.
  • I have been having problems with my brake pedal sticking on my 2012 Acadia Denali for many months now. After pressing on the brakes, they stay down and I have to put my foot under the brake to release it. Its a very scary and dangerous problem. The car will literally come to a complete stop by itself. The brake will remain down until I put my foot under it to release it. I had brought the car to the dealership a few months ago and low and behold, the problem doesnt happen for them. Of course it doesnt! The problem will not happen every time it is driven, but it does happen quite frequently. Well now its months later and I cant stand the problem anymore so I bring it back to the dealership for service. I received a phone call this afternoon from the service dept. and I was told the problem did not happen for them. I told him that I refuse to pick up the car until they fix it. Its a very dangerous situation. I almost got rear ended because my brakes stuck while I was making a turn. Do they actually think I am making this up? The traction control service light also comes on. Im not a mechanic and I believe this has to all be tied in together. Whey cant they pull the brakes apart to see whats going on with them? I told him all of this. Not happy with the service Im receiving. Anyone else have this problem?
    Good morning janny57,

We're sorry to hear about this brake concern you're having with your Acadia and if you wanted for us to look into this further with your dealership, we'd be happy to. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership, as well as a brief recap of the situation).

• I had the exact same issue. I took it back 2 days after I bought it to show them. I looked at the other Denali's and they had the same issue. My service manager looked into it and said it's from the machine that puts the molding on. They must do it when it's not entirely cured. He offered to repaint mine and even ordered the parts. I have not done it b/c I am worried about the pearl color matching. My dealership had GM come out and look at the problem for future use. However, this doesn't help us much.
    My first, and last, GMC.
  • Please write me a message at my user name at icloud dot com (personal email address) -- regarding the trim issues you're having -- I'm deleting my post about the subject as I enter arbitration and I don't want to lose contact with a person having the same issues as myself.
    It looks like your dealership is working with you, boilergirl, but we certainly understand that you are unhappy. If you wanted for us to further document this situation, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name, contact information, a recap of the situation, the name of your dealership, and the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN).

• I am lost on what to do. My Acadia, 2007 AWD, purchased certified used with a 2yr warranty in May 2010 with 41k miles on it for $22k, literally is having issues ever since I rolled 70,000mi in November 2012. I am a stay at home mom, who only has 2 kids, and I am by all means easy on this vehicle. First, my blinker bulb went out. My husband tried to change it (he's mechanically experienced) and find out the BULB is DEALER ONLY! $5 for the bulb, $20 to SHIP, and then it took them OVER TWO WEEKS to get it to the dealership. I drove aroud without a blinker for 2 weeks. Then, while my blinker bulb was out, SO WAS MY RADIO! As soon as my husband installed the new bulb, my radio worked. I breathed a sigh of relief I wasn't having to shell out the $500+ the dealership quoted me on a new stereo.

Then it gets better.... or worse... I went to the grocery store alone one evening, pulled into get gas since I had a spare minute, and my POWER STEERING WENT OUT! I parked the car after I manhandled the steering to get the car to a safe place. Turned the car off. Started it again - 3 random codes popped up, went away and then my steering was fine. Now, my steering knocks. Fluid levels fine, tie rods, etc all look good. Took it into the dealership and they rambled off a TON of things it MIGHT be after the lead mechanic took it for a spin. At the rate of $108/hr and $80 to check the code... they "MIGHT" be able to find a problem or two with it. Im sorry - its a tough economy - I have a car payment & a family and you want me to potentially pay your dealership $300+ for you to "POSSIBLY" find an issue? I was furious and left. He told me overall I could look at spending $2k+ on a 5yr old vehicle on a TON of parts that have been "upgraded" since the 2007. Why were these items not recalled? I talked my husband into this purchase. Telling him it would be perfect for our family & our needs (it is by all means), however I realize I was wrong. I am ready to sell & be done with this mess before it gets worse. RIDICULOUS the amount of issues with these Acadias that are marketed as safe family vehicles. I now drive around paranoid that I will break down at any minute and not be able to pick up my children on time. These are not concerns I should be having with a 5yr 71K mi vehicle. It has been given proper maintenance and care. GMC needs to step it up. If you are out of warranty - be prepared to owe every paycheck to them in order to get to work on time.
    We're sorry to hear about your power steering concerns, acadiablues1. If you would like for us to check into this with your dealership at all, we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership, as well as a brief recap of the situation).

• Hi Sarah @ GM Customer Service,

It's pretty annoying to see that GM is monitoring this website, and that you always jump in pretending to be so helpful. Just so everyone is aware - GM's offer to "check into this" is just that. They will check into it and do nothing else. My 3 year old Acadia had 2 major power steering repairs - the final straw being a $1,300 power steering rack replacement that GM offered exactly -0- help with. I see from other threads that GM has "upgraded" parts of the power steering apparatus in newer Acadias. Too bad they aren't standing behind those stuck with 3 and 4 year old Acadia's with major steering issues.
  • My warning light to service the stabilitrack keeps coming on in my Acadia...anyone else have this issue?