Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• I too had a 2008 SLT Acadia and had the EXACT same problems in the opposite order around the same mileage. We had our car die in the same way and had to have the transmission replaced. Luckily it was covered under our 100K powertrain warranty. Then we went out of town and had the leakage problem. It was a disaster being out of town with a leaking, mildew smelling car! I filed a complaint with GM service at that point (bc we had also had MANY other problems that were documented before these). The dealership blamed the leakage problem on the leaves in our driveway clogging the sunroof grooves... nevermind that we have had 3 other cars with sunroofs that we parked in the same place and never had water leaking into our cars! They cleaned it out and told us to park it in a different spot and keep the grooves cleaned... It is a complete design failure on GMs part. We were certain it would be an ongoing problem... In the end, after several back and forths with our GM Customer Service rep, they offered us a small incentive ($2000) towards another GM car and we traded it in for the Yukon. I couldn't be happier with the Yukon and so relieved not to have to deal with the Acadia anymore! We loved the look and size of the Acadia but it was a nightmare and SOO unreliable! It will probably only get worse for you (I hate to say that but just read this forum and you will see). You may want to Contact GM with records/documentation that you have and file a complaint and see if they will work with you. Good luck!
  • We would be happy to look into the terms of the warranty/service program you purchased with your vehicle. Please send us the last 8 digits of your VIN through an email and we'd be sure to let you know more information.

Also, if you would like to open a Customer Assistance Case with us, we can get that set up for you as well. Include in your email your name/username, contact information (phone and address, please), current mileage and involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    perhaps you should do what the original owners did. Rather than be frustrated it seems they dumped theirs for you to buy. Maybe, just maybe, you should do the same.
  • Thanks Sarah for the info. I am a Canadian customer, thus I will contact the CDN GMC rep.
  • leithaleitha Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I purchased a 2007 GMC Acadia not even a year ago and have had nothing but problems. Not even a week after I purchased the steering column had a cable problem on recall. I was without my vehicle for a week. Then I had to purchase new tires around $1000 then the windshield, then the driver seat lift had to be replaced, the air conditioner had to be replaced, the headlight had to be replaced, and it has had a clicking noise in the front end since I purchased it and NOW it is sitting at a station 30 minutes away broke down with transmission gone out!!!!! It has 76000 miles on it and it already had 62000 on when I bought it. Most of the miles have been back and forth to service center.

I have been without a vehicle more than I have had one!!! Now I am stranded with NO vehicle the dealership wont even supply a courtesy car!! I have been put off, talked ugly to and treated like dirt by the dealership!! Mostly because I am a woman!! I have contacted GMC for the second time and told due to holidays I am just basically SOL!! i am ready for a lawsuit!!
  • "the data from these cases is amassed in our databases, which GM does use to make product decisions"

Sarah,

I would think the repair records alone would be enough for GM to make a product decision. There must be a lot people who've had their problems repaired and never filed a complaint with customer service.

I'd hate to think that GM is sitting on a mountain of repair data while waiting years for the customer complaints to trickle in before they make a decision.
  • In response to #1458, my guess is that their would be a GM data base for all warranty work. I am not sure if GM would keep track of repairs that fall outside of the warranty period.
  • This is a valid concern; the database the Customer Service uses is not the only resource available in the decision making processes. I was just trying to shed some light on the usefulness of working with us on the concerns mentioned in the forum (aside from repair and redress).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Leitha,
    I am so very sorry to hear about how frustrating your experience has been. I see you have been in contact with GMC - have you opened a Service Request with them? Please email us this number and we can check into the progress of your case and will be sure to let them know you've been in contact. Or, if you haven't established this case, please send us an email with more information, including your name/username, contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 2012lemon2012lemon Posts: 5
    edited January 2012
    Well at least you got to some what enjoy yours for 6 months. Going into my 4th day of driving my 2012 GMC Acadia Denali 300 miles into my (90 mile one way commute) to work, the car just went crazy. All the lights on the dash went off, car started shakeing, loss of power and felt like I had turned on the ABS brakes by the way it shook and jerked so bad. I had to have it towed to a local dealer in which they figure out the Throttle body unit was bad. He also informed me that GM was aware of some bad throttle body units out there but because it was not discovered right away there were some vehicles out there with them on it and would not know till they broke down pretty much. So out of my new not so cheap vehicle for 2 days I was given the cheapest car at the rental place to drive back home ( it could not have bee more than a $5k car, and I just paid $50K to drive a tin can?) not happy at this point. I had contacted and opened a case with GM to inform them of this matter and also to question the specifics on the floormats in their catalog to compare the different story I was getting from the dealership. They still cannot clarify that. The catalog states w/Denali there are "denali specific" floormats that are only available in the Denali. So then why are they exactly the same as the ones that come in a Standard Acadia? Very Misleading and still no clarification. In all of this frustration and going round and round, the customer service rep who just repeats his title and calls from a call center and has no knowledge of anything I was told from the dealership wants to give me a year of free Onstar. Really? And now only 2 months into owning the vehicle it has been in the shop again for 12 days because the Timing Belt and Timing Belt actuaters were bad and need to be replaced. I am now even more concerned after reading all these posts, if I am only 2 months into this and both of these issues are BIG ones, what is in store for me next? The car has never sounded right and they still cannot figure out the other loud noises that dont make sense. I just sold my 2004 Chevy Suburban and being 8 yrs old, it never sounded like my new tin can :( Sad to say I have lost all hope in GM. I have owned many Chevys in my time and thought going to GMC was just a step up with the bells and whistles. Boy was I wrong.
    So I do feel your pain. Not sure where to go from here.
  • I am sorry to hear that your new Acadia has been in for repairs already. If you were to send us your case number, I would be happy to provide any updates and perhaps clarify any questions you may have about their progress.

Thank you for your patience in this situation,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • cmr929cmr929 Posts: 1
    I bought my 2007 Gmc Acadia in March of 2007. The amount of recalls on my vehicle is ridiculous. In a car that's only 5 yrs old we've dealt with at least 5-6 recalls. Now when you roll down the backseat window (where my 17 month old sits) the window will not power up! We never have the window down. we powered it down so he could wave to his aunt christmas day and it wouldn't go back up!!! Now I have to take the car in for another recall for the headlights and don't get me started about how you have to remove the whole fender just to change a lightbulb!!!! Who makes a car that way?! I have a 2002 Cavalier that was purchased in 2001. I've never had any issues with that vehicle! My acadia only has 33,000 miles on it and it's like junk!!! It's always been one issue after another. Then it's such an inconvenience always taking it to the dealer for it's many recalls. Then i leave the car there and they say "oh nnow we need to order the part". If you know what the recall is why not already have the parts there. After this I would prob never buy GM again. It's ashame another American product made like crap. I was trying to keep it in America!
  • I understand why you are frustrated with your Acadia. Multiple repairs and trips into the dealership to have recall work performed can be inconvenient, and I apologize that you have encountered this as we work on your vehicle.

I see that your vehicle is in at the dealership for work on the headlight, and possibly for the power window as well. What is its progress? If we can follow up with the dealership for you, or assist in any way, please let us know.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I previously had a 2001 jeep grand cherokee but totalled it in accident. In 6 years I never had a single problem. So less than a year ago after my accident I ended up getting a 2007 Acadia. Since I have had it there has been one problem after another. The first really cold day we had after I got it it wouldnt start, I had to buy a new battery. Ok so I figured no big deal it was $120. Last april I notice water pouring through my rear sunroof through my rear dome light. the service department at my local gmc dealer was very rude, i brought up the recalled part which I had read was the reason for the leaks. They said it had been replaced and that i would have to pay. I was not happy. Its bad enough I have to pay these huge car payments and now on top of that $300 to fix the leak. The recomended a body shop that I didnt want to use and they took my car there anyway. The body shop fixed the leak but broke one of my luggage rack moldings so I had to pay $40 to have that replaced. I think if a part is recalled and replaced incorrectly it should be gmc paying not me. they acted like I was wasting their time. Now I cant turn the steering wheel, but i dont have the money to take to to the shop so what should I do? I checked and added power steering fluid and it is still hard to turn. I would love it for GMC to buy this piece of crap back so I can go get another jeep! MY 2001 Grand Cherokee WOULDVE RUN CIRCLES AROUND THIS!
  • Sarah,
    I would like to speak with someone further about my case, but if you are at the same level as my current customer service rep, I dont feel we will go anywhere. I feel at this point I need to speak with someone at a higher level. I have been told so many stories by so many different people, I cannot tell now who is telling the truth. This is what frustrates me the most. It started out with the dealership I purchased the vehicle from to now the major mechanical issues I have had in only 2months of owning the vehicle and had it in service 2 weeks of that time. I have never had even a used vehicle in service this much.
    ok, so lets see if you can clarify this one? In your Acadia Spec page in your catalog (page 24) under interior details:
    Floor Mats: color keyed, carpeted for all 3 rows, removable= Standard w/ SL SLE SLT-1 SLT2 (NOT AN OPTION WITH DENALI)
    Premium, "Denali specific", carpeted for all 3 rows = STANDARD ONLY W/ DENALI
    Why do you advertise that these are 2 completely different items? I was first told by the purchasing dealership that the Denali ones are different and now I have been told there is no difference between the two and have been given 2 sets of stock acadia floor mats.
    I feel that this is misleading and false advertisement on GMC's part.
    I would be interested to hear what you find out?
  • Hello -
    I had the same problem with my 2007 GMC Acadia (worst vehicle) GMC should repair the leaks at all cost. You need to call GM directly, contact a lemon :lemon: law lawyer, the freaking parts to repair the sunroof/windows/tubes only cost $0.8 cents each per my vehicle service rep.. :confuse:
    The tubes originally installed are too small to handle the drainage and have no filters...so the fix is new bigger tubes with filters (kinda like the sink hand wash filters) to prevent anything from going down the drain...
    I'm not ever buying another GM product and I "was" a faithful loyal customer...
    Now, my freaking steering power noise is annoying... fluid is full and everytime I do a oil change, GM wants me to do a power steering fluid change too over $150+ job... sorry not happening... I'm actually speaking to a lawyer and doing a civil lawsuit (CA new civil lawsuit is now 10K) against GM to refund all my cash for their vehicle... I never had an issued with GM until that 2007 GMC Acadia came along...
    I'm going to the dealer today... whooopie let's see what other things my Acadia needs...
  • I just saw the recall for this last week on my onstar email, I of course had to change both my lights in July. My dealership claims they will cut me a check for my 160 buck. Not holding my breath, I was lucky and had a 50 coupon @ firestone so my lights were easy to stomach! I've yet to get a recall notice though, Firestone told gm asked them to contact their customers about recall.
  • philr1philr1 Posts: 1
    We bought a 2007 gmc acadia. The steering wheel makes that grinding noise, it's really annoying. Also the electrical system is not working right. Lights come on at random and stay on, battery always dies the dash lights blink on and off, the dvd player stays on even after doors are shut and car is locked! Too bad because we like the way the car looks and we like the interior. It has electrical issues that drive us crazy though! also the driver side seat cushion became unattached from it's base. In my opinion GMC should make these issues right, Oh yeah also when we are slowing down the car sounds like a helicopter!!! We got a lemon!!! LAME! Our car only has 39000 miles on it with all these issues.
  • I am sorry to hear that you have not had a satisfactory experience with your Acadia between the situation with your rear sunroof and now your steering wheel. If we could set up a service request for you, please send us more information in an email, including your name/Edmund's username, your contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. From there, we will want to get you in for a diagnosis at your preferred dealership and will evaluate what options may be available.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I understand your desire to speak with somebody from a more advanced level of customer service. I am at the entry-point, so to speak, and am either at the same level or below your current agent.
    As you have written, my resources are saying that there are Premium "Denali Specific" floor mats. However, aside from that I don't have more information on how they differ. I apologize for that, but will be following up on this with my supervisor to see if I can learn more for you (he is out for today).
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service