Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 Design Winners and Losers

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,090
    I think you will find we spend more per student on education than any other country. We have too many layers of administration. Not enough parental involvement.
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    While this doesn't have much to do with ugly cars you may be right. However when it comes to higher education where do even the Japanese tend to send their children? US colleges and universities. Now if someone would just get the designers for Scion a scholarship to a design school maybe they could beautify the auto landscape.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    Scion for body design. The entire lot of Subaru body designers are etch-a-sketch designers. Those are some of the homeliest rigs I've ever seen mass-produced.

They make the Model A and T look shapely and hot.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,645
    My criteria for ugly goes like this:

1. The front half of the car has nothing to do with the back half. It looks like two committees living in separate countries designed each half and glued it together without ever seeing the other team's half.

2. Looks awkward---things stick out, jut at crazy angles...CHAOS....

3. Textures and colors -- the worst shades of brown and mustard (or whatever clashes).

4. Bad Retro --there's nothing worse than an ugly 2007 car imitating an ugly 1955 car.

5. Ridiculous Pomposity: call it the "gold chain and hairy chest syndrome"

6. Trying Too Hard--this can be Harmless Ugly or Harmful Ugly. When you try too hard to be stylish or different, you can easily fall into a territory that others before you AVOIDED FOR A REASON.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    "4. Bad Retro --there's nothing worse than an ugly 2007 car imitating an ugly 1955 car."

Cough...SSR...cough! ;)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    ...but c'mon, the RR Phantom is pretty ugly. It looks like they hired the designer for Peterbilt or Kenworth for the front-end design.
    It's not attractive--I couldn't agree more-- but most of the car is okay. It's more "clunky" to me than overall 100% High Ugly (bad from every angle in other words). It would be like a disappointing face on a nice body, or something like that :P

An xB strikes me as bad from every angle...

HOWEVER (ahem)...I have to say in the xA's defense that only men dislike it....women seem to find it cute, all across the board. So the label of "ugly" for this car might be merely gender-specific....

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    some ugly cars here.

OMG
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    That was flippin hilarious... Those tailpipes were outrageous, and the sounds, I almost fell off my chair laughing.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Toyota Prius (here to serve a higher purpose, doh)
    Dodge Durango
    Honda Element
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln Navigator (If Mona Lisa is an ugly woman, this is the ugly woman with a mustache)
    Nissan Sentra
    Nissan Maxima
    Ford Focus (2008)
    Saab (any)
    BMW 6-series

DrFill
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    DrFill, you did good. I don't think Saab should be on that list though. :P

-Rocky
  • smittynycsmittynyc Posts: 291
    The "flaming" car carrying the four guys with crash helmets just slays me.

Some of the YouTube commentary is pretty hysterical, too.

Note: the *real* ugliness begins at about the 2:59 mark, so hang in there.

I am pretty sure that this sort of event is what God had in mind when He killed off the dinosaurs and set them on their way to becoming gasoline.
    Oh yeah I agree SAABs are in general very good looking cars. They don't really do anything else well but they look good and have great seats.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,410
    If you could put a Saab body, including the interior, onto a good actual car you'd really have something.

I had an old 73 Saab 99 years ago. Serious fun but really seriously glitchy and expensive to fix.
    Poor Saab---when they were independent they built lousy cars that were way fun to drive and attractive in a quirky kind of way. Now they build kind of average / mediocre cars that are bland and not as much fun to drive.

No wonder when that rare combination of good looks, good reliability and real fun comes together in one single car, the world goes gah-gah.

Gee, when was that? Dunno, maybe the older Porsche 993, last of the air-cooled engines. Miata? There you go!

HONDA ELEMENT/TOYOTA PRIUS -- I have to agree, total chaos in design, like two cymbals crashing front to rear

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host

Gee, when was that? Dunno, maybe the older Porsche 993, last of the air-cooled engines. Miata? There you go!

I realy want one of the last 993 Porsches. A 1996 or 1997 just a regular 2wd model no turbo no all wheel drive. Probably just a carrera S Coupe.
    Saab, will build exciting cars once again. I can about gaurantee that. I really feel GM, will use them as a lab rat to try out new technologies which will make the brand really unique. :) bio-powered Saab's with twin turbo engines along with 4WS and AWD. :shades:

-Rocky
    GM has killed SAAB they have done more to destroy the brand then any thing else had. Like Shifty said they were always a quirky under capitalized company that made interesting if some what troublesome cars.

They still make troublesome cars but they aren't that interesting anymore.
    'Xactly....if you are married to a talented, beautiful, athletically-built spouse who is unreliable, untruthful and spiteful but a lot of fun ----well then, the last thing you're going to do is tolerate all that crap when they turn fat and ugly.

I bought my last diamond necklace for my Saab turbo many years ago. No thank you.

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host

• List of vehicles that I think are the ugliest of them all in no particular order:

-Toyota Highlander (2008 model)
    -Nissan Versa (sedan and hatchback)
    -Infiniti QX56
    -BMW 3 series (current generation looks awful compared to the previous generation, the current coupe is ok looking)
    -Buick Rendezvous (it's going, going, GONE)
    -Buick Rainier (see above)
    -Jaguar XK (I'm sorry but it looks so bland and generic it is offensive)
    -Honda Element non-SC version
    -Infiniti G37 coupe (overly aggressive)
    -Chevy Montecarlo
    -Chevy Malibu (old and new, new one's back end is ugh)
    -

Some of the best looking vehicles on the market, imo:

-Honda Pilot (current one after the MMC, classy yet aggressive)
    -Honda Fit
    -Honda CR-V (front end adds character)
    -Honda S2000
    -Acura MDX
    -Acura TL
    -Acura RDX
    -BMW 6 series
    -Audi A6
    -Audi A5
    -Mercedes SL
    -Mercedes ML
    -Mercedes CLK
    -Mercedes E-class
    -Mercedes S-class
    -Mercedes CLS
    -Lexus IS
  • neile457neile457 Posts: 65
    Dodge Caliber
    Honda Element
    Toyota Yaris
    Scion Xa
    Nissan Versa (sedan)
    Buick Rendevous
    Land Rover LR3
    Hummer (all of em)
    Toyota Camry
    Nissan Sentra
    I still think it's kinda cute, in a froggie, banana slug sort of way:

Dude what is wrong with the LR3 besides the back which is for function.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,774
    There are a lot of cars that aren't pretty, yet aren't really ugly. It's funny how there are some cars in these posts that are ugliest to some yet good looking to others. Yet there are a few that most people seem to agree are truly ugly.

My truly ugliest:
    1. Fiat Multipla (original design). I know it's not sold in the states, but when I saw it in Europe I couldn't believe it. There is no comparison to anything else ugly, even the Aztec.
    http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/gallery/gallery_in_iframe.php?iArticleId=30807- 3#
    2. Aztec - not made anymore, but so ugly it deserves mention.
    3. Subaru Tribeca - what were they thinking? A horrible look on an otherwise decent vehicle
    4. Subaru WRX - I like Subarus. Why do they make their cars so ugly that they destroy their positive traits of reliability and all wheel drive?
    5. Original Echo - talk about out of proportion. Add a center speedometer to complete the horror.
    6. Nissan Quest (current) - It looks like a pregnant guppy. Add poor reliability and center instruments and you've completed the failure of this model.
    7. Saturn Sky - take a beautiful body and add boy-racer taillights. How gauche. Solstice looks a lot better. Perhaps a benefit of rebadging in this case.
    8. Element - ugly but cute in a bizarro way.
    9. BMW 5 series - it's growing on me a bit, but I still can't get over the Bangle butt and taillights. Add i-drive and you have a real loser. Apparently there are still enough people willing to buy them.
    10. Audi Q7 - Most Audi's are gorgeous. This isn't one of them.

Other cars not mentioned:
    Camry - I actually don't think it's that bad. I like the new one a lot better than the fat rear end of the previous model.
    Xb - It's ugly but in a cute way.

Cars I think are gorgeous:

Solstice
    TL
    Most Mercedes, particularly a black E-class
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,410
    Funny thing that. I think it depends on the color of the thing. In certain colors it kinda resembles a canister vacuum cleaner.
    Accord is some beauty queen?

Camry looks a lot like an Altima to me, in design. Nothin' wrong with that! :)

DrFill
    Would you agree Doctor that the 08' Accord looks A LOT better ?

-Rocky
    But the coupe looks better than the Solara. And it is better than the overstyled Altima coupe, as well.

No need to uncork the champagne, doh. :blush:

DrFill
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Posts: 141
    What's with Ford these days? The new look for Lincoln (Navigator,MKZ etc, etc) have to be the up there with the Lincolns with the fake spare wheel in the trunk lid. The new look is hidious inside and out. The new FLEX and or Fairlane is not much better. I heard going out on a design limb can work, but not in this case. Even the 500 (Taurus) is as dull as dull can be.

A real close second to all the Lincolns and some Fords is the entire Jeep and Hummer lines except the Grand Cherokee. The Jeep Commander takes the cake. The new Compass, Patriot and are off road wannabes based on the Caliber platform. The 4dr Wrangler is a total performance dog. 0-60mph in somebodies lifetime.

I will stop now as thats more than 10, I could go on. :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.