Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• ejd2ejd2 Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a hood protector (the dark plastic one) for a 2006 Outback. It fits the vehicle fine, and is correctly installed, but the hood won't close with the protecor on there. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Did it come with spacers? Older models had these clear things you would stick on to set them at the proper distance.

-juice
    It has rubber bumpers/spacers that go between the top of the deflector and the outside of the hood.

There is a rubber gasket that goes between the hood and the grille to seal out water when the hood is closed. By putting the deflector in there, it prevents the hood from closing. It may close if I cut the gasket in that area, but I would rather not take that step if I don't have to.
    Call 800-SUBARU3, see if they can help.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Not sure if it's the same as my '04 F-XT, but the protector goes *under* the rubber gasket. You need to pry the gasket holders out a bit to get it to slip in. Same with our '02 MPV hood deflector.

So, when looking at the hood open from the front, it should be gasket, deflector, hood.

The Subaru instructions are indeed vague though.

-Brian
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    Is the deflector you got from Subaru or after market type .
    The reason I ask is I'm looking to get one for my 06 outback.
    Have you been able to get it to work .

Thanks Mike K in South Jersey
  • pcopco Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Outback and found that I cannot continue to use the bike rack that mounts to the back of the vehicle. I was faced with the dilema...roof rack or hitch mount. Current research (internet searches and word of mouth) tell me that I am better off with a hitch mounted one. It will be easier for me to handle by myself. I find a lot of discontent with the Subaru hitch (you cannot use thule locks etc. take a look at the discussion www.idealog.us/2006/04/subaru_hitch_mo.html

Has anyone used UHaul? What does the hitch look like....Subaru says we "void" warranty if we attach a hitch that is not their's? What could happen?
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I have a 06 Outback Wagon as well. For the actual Hitch itself, I did the U-Haul route. Had them install it, wired and all with lifetime warranty for around $270 or so last year.

This is the first time I am hearing anything about SOA voiding a warranty with a non-Subaru hitch. Matter of fact, I had checked with my dealer when I bought the car. They quoted me $500 for the hitch including installation, claiming the high cost was because the hitch is normally a PIO - they have to charge for their service dept doing the work. When I commented about the price, they told me to go to U-Haul instead!

If you want to do the installation yourself, check out etrailer.com - they have all the proper parts, as well as a selection of bike racks. Or check with the online bike stores -Nashbar and Performance for good, inexpensive racks.

Good luck!

Mark
  • pcopco Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Will follow up! Sis you use it for a bike rack? Are you able to lock it onto the hitch? Did you get the Subaru one or Thule or.....? Thanks again. Happy riding!
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    I actually have two hitch racks. One can carry up to 3 regular DF bikes, which I picked up a few years ago from Bike Nashbar. The other is from hitchrider.com (see below)that can carry my wifes delta Trike, along with my Mountain Bike. I had a locking hitch pin, which I was silly enough to forget when I traded in my 2000 OB last year :blush: . I have to pick up a new one so that I can use the regular bike rack. You can get them at Home Depot, or most auto accessory palces. Just make sure it is the right size.

Good luck!

Mark

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com">
    Sorry for the late response, but in case anyone comes across this post, I did get it to work. I Removed the latch that is attached to the hood and slipped a washer on the bolts between the latch and the hood. This allowed the latch to extend slightly lower and catch the latch mechanism behind the grille without having to slam it.

BTW - OEM deflector
  • Anyone know how difficult it is to add XM to a pre wired system, or should you go through a dealer? I did the wiring for XM on my Jeep I traded off and am hooked on it.

Thanks in advance
    The 07s have aux input, do you have an output?

-juice
  • I have a Delphi receiver but the Subaru has a Sat ready radio installed, the dealer quoted me $495 to install the modules to activate, seems a bit much so I was wondering how hard it would be to do myself.
    Yikes. That's a lot.

What about the place you got the Delphi thing from? Will they install it again? Or was it mail order?

-juice
  • p9411p9411 Posts: 4
    Is there a way to use the sirius kit for the impreza or the forester in the outback? They say it is xm only but in 2008 you will have a choice of either. Since the car is pre-wired could it accept a sirus antenna and receiver?
  • I don't know the answer, but would like to know the same thing re the 2007 Legacy LTD Sedan I'm buying this week. Sirius just announced they are buying XM, but that's likely to take a year to complete.
  • Can anyone tell me if they make window vent shades for a 95' subaru legacy wagon ? I have been looking for one online but haven't come up with anything. I was told by a friend that they are avaible.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    Do you mean Rain Guards? I am not sure what a window vent shade is? :confuse:
  • yes I guess you could call them rain guards too. In the old days say in the 50's I know they called them vent shades. They go above your windows, a nice feature when wanting to keep rain, snow, etc out of the car. Also I am told they help with wind noise on those frameless subaru doors.
  • I have a 2001 outback. The manual says not to plug anything but a cigarette lighter into that port. How do I get an outlet for my cell phone or video player?
    I am sure you can plug other things that run on the same voltage into that port.
    My Forester's manual says the same thing, yet I've charged several different Nokia cell phones and RIM BlackBerry models there for the past 9 years, no problem. :shades:
  • Thanks for the responce. I tried to plug in my phone ( I figured it would be ok too) but when I did the radio started staticing instantly. When I unplugged it, it stopped. I can't figure why unless it really means don't plug anything else into it. Or maybe there's something wrong with the radio?
    Was it static or reverb? That is common with speakers of all sorts. Cell phones cause reverb in them.
  • definately static
    any ideas?
    Sorry no because I can't think of who those two are related. Using that port shouldn't affect your radio noise, the port is voltage while the radio is frequency. :confuse:
    Perhaps it is a bad ground?

Now that I think about it, I did have some minor issues with a Nokia hands-free kit that had a speaker phone. It was for a Nokia phone, but made by some other company, I forget now.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    I am not sure if this is still a problem, but I know there was mention a while back of GSM phones causing interference in the radio - due to the actual transmission frequencies. Admittedly, I have not followed this conversation to see the original post, but just thought I would throw that out there.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Yeah, I stopped using it for another reason - poor quality.

Fortunately my newer phone has a built-in speaker that sounds much better.