Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    1500rpms for 10-15 seconds on cold startup is 100% normal on any car. So long as it settles down you are ok as far as that goes. There is no idle adjustments on these cars it should idle between 500-700 when warmed up.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Hi, and thanks for the response.. However, my Subaru is not a turbocharged vehicle. The sticker says "2.5L Horizontally--Opposed SOHC Engine" We just had a heavy snow, and after driving about 10 miles, as I was pulling into the driveway, I depressed the clutch, down shifted into 2nd gear, engine raced and I slid into the drive. (I did not have my foot on the gas) ........
    Definitely should not be revving when you hit the clutch.

Check to make sure the carpet isn't laying on the pedal. I had this the other day and had the exact same symptom.

If that doesn't do the trick it could be an ECU reprogram or idle air controller.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I thought about an ECU reset, by disconnecting the battery.

That should give her a clean slate. What do you think?
    That could be a good start. Disconnect battery and hit the brakes for about 2-3 min.

-mike
  • Mike,
    Thank you very much for the information! We will do what you suggested and let you know if it works. We did check the mat and it was no where near the gas pedal. We had removed the carpets and put in the winter mats which are a bit thick, but when you mentioned it we checked it out immediately and it was clear. So, tomorrow we will disconnect the battery and hit the brakes. Thank you !! (If this works, I can't wait to call the Dealer and MySubaru and tell them that "Edmunds" fixed the problem.)
    ~Carol
    Well it's a start, not sure if it'll work. But definitely report back and we'll see where to go from there.

-mike
  • I have had the cold transmission lurching issue since new. I have a 2005 Outback Limited. In the winter, the tranny lurches and shudders for the first 3-5 minutes of driving.
    Annoying.
  • ccfayccfay Posts: 1
    This morning I found out that the radio, front and back windshield wipers, mirror adjusters, and hazards stopped working. All the other electrical stuff works fine. I checked the fuses and don't see any that are blown. Any idea what the problem might be?
  • shabe1shabe1 Posts: 2
    Has Subaru given you any kind of explanation or do they just tell you this is "normal"?
  • Hi! It's been one week since we did what you suggested. I wanted to drive it awhile since it didn't do it all the time. Yesterday, JUST when I thought what we did may have fixed the problem, it revved up! My husband drove it about 6 miles, and when he turned into a parking lot, downshifted, it did it. :( We had tested it all week by downshifting everytime we could, and it was ok. Back to the drawing board.. :(
    ~ Carol
    My next guess would be to see if you can get your dealer to perform an ecu re-flash. I really have a feeling it has to do with the ECU, or a sensor but try the easy things first.

-mike
  • Thank you. We will try that next. I will keep you posted on the results. Many thanks.
    ~Carol
  • Just purchased a new Outback 2.5XT and my car now experiences a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. I did not notice this during the test drive. The "jerks" when the car accelerates b/w 2nd into 3rd. I've brought the car to the dealership 4 times now and they say that the car is performing "normal". Anybody out there experience the same thing or have a solution. Can't get anywhere with the dealership. Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Call 800-SUBARU3 and at a minimum have them record the issue in a "customer says" case. That way you documented the issue early on if it gets worse.
  • I just bought a used legacy with about 130k on it. when it idles in neutral and clutch is out it has a chattering noise coming from the front, as soon as I press the clutch in it goes away. The drive train under load seems a bit louder than any of my previous cars (similar noise to a car running in reverse with a little more rumble than whine). This rumbling reverse noise is loudest in lower gears, and under acceleration, and seems to disappear in the hight gears (or muted by road noise?). The vehicle shifts and down shifts smoothly through all gears. I have no problems at a stop going into 1st or reverse (no apparent syncro issues). The clutch feels good and engages and disengages smoothly. Am i just looking at fluid changes to the tranny, and diffs? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
    Throwout or Pilot bearing for the noise. Fluid change for the noise once in gear.

-mike
  • Mike,
    Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I am wondering though what kind of failure scenarios am I dealing with concerning the throwout bearing. I have read on this and other posts that this was a weak link in the Subaru clutch assembly. I am somewhat cheap and feel that I will replace clutch with bearing. This just seems logical. The thing is my clutch seems fine right now and I am just wondering if I can postpone the repair to "use up" the current clutch a bit more. Can the throwout bearing fail and damage the trans. or drive line in anyway? Or will it just continue to make noise and contribute to a quicker demise of my clutch? I already have an appointment for the drive line fluids to be replaced, do I need to ad the clutch and bearing as well?
    The throwout bearing will continue to get worse over time. You can probably drive it for another 10k miles maybe more w/o issue. I'd definitely get the clutch done at the same time as the labor is the same cause the trans has to get pulled.

-mike
  • I've given up asking them or the dealer. I haven't been driving my Outback lately because my Volvo gets better gas mileage and doesn't give me hip/back problems from the painful seat.
    Thinking of selling the Outback.