Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    You say they have always fought in turns? My '96 never did (had it 220,000 miles with never a hint of a transmission problem). Sounds like maybe the car has a problem with its center differential - a problem that has gone undiagnosed long enough to cause failure in other normally-reliable parts.

I am not sure about the lack of reverse; is there any indication at all, when you shift, that something is happening within the transmission?
  • people with the tranny problem here...

did they say it cause the failure?? it has to be some good explanation!

did they fix it for free? I would be contacting corporate on this!
  • wibyerwibyer Posts: 3
    I am considiring purchasing a used 99 Outback that had it's transmission replaced last year. Should I expect other big problems from this car (90,000 miles)? I know the head gasket can go sometime soon too.....
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    speaking from a transmission rebuilders point of veiw (aftermarket rebuilder) i see very few subaru's for trans repairs 1 maybe out of 150 cars..just my 2 cents worth
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    your vehicle should have a 7 for the 11th digit of the VIN idetifying the trans as a 4spd box 4AT designation. Most AWD box fail due to simple problems people dont realize. running 1 tire a different size than the other 3 can cause a failure this happens more frequently in the AUTO 4X4 applications. your loss of reverse issue can be pin pointed however by looking at a clutch and band application chart and eliminating any clutch or band that is applied or holding in a forward gear. normally in most transmissions reverse is applied with the use of a band or drum specifically for reverse and the "DIRECT" clutch drum with todays transmission 5spd + that could be designated as 3rd or 4th gear
  • This light keeps blinking even though the transmission has been checked and it is okay. Any suggessions to get this sensor diabled?
    Sounds like perhaps the sensor is already disabled.... ;)

But seriously, have you run a diagnostics check on the car? It might be something other than simply the transmission oil temperature. Those dummy lights don't tell you much, only that you need to hook the car to a code reader. The fact that this particular light is flashing means the error code is triggering in the transmission control unit (rather than the engine control unit).
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The flashing usually indicates that one of the clutch packs or pressure solenoids is bad. Definitely have a dealer with the subaru specific computer check it out.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • -Started to jolt recently when reversing
    - Driving along and ocassionally when I put my foot on the gas the car doesn't speed up it just revs just from 2000-6000 while the car stays at the same speed :cry:

Not sure what this mean driving back from T.O and going the normal 110 -120 and the car starts to heat up so I check the coolant and the car drank it all so I put more coolant in and wait an hour before driving anymore double check the coolant it was good so I continues on home , but then the car started to heat up again so I slowed down to 80 and the temputure went back to normal ?? I'm lost to why its ok at 80 but not 100

Any help would be great Forgot to mention that a day after the car had heat issues the Check engine light came on and then went off again :sick:
    If your trans is slipping then it will overheat the car because the trans slipping creates heat.

You are cruising at 110-120 in a 1998 outback? Wow, that's pretty good.

-mike
  • Ok thanks guess its time for the shop , and yes I can get better speed then that with ease she usually goes up to 160 , Shes not the normal subaru plus the new engine helps wasn't put in too long ago maybe 2 -3 years Its funny my 1998 subaru outback is faster then my friends 2006 toyota.
    Thank again
    Wait, 160 mph? I'm thinking you mean 160 kph, even a swapped out outback with an STi motor would have a hard time hitting 160, let alone sustaining it.

-mike
  • Hi Mike, I wanted to tell you that today my husband took my subaru to the dealer with your message in hand. He told them he wanted this fixed and that this is what he wanted done. There was some reluctance, I believe the quote was "this is not from Subaru!" he told them, of couse not! My wife had to go on the internet to find out what the problem was since I can't get any resolve from you. So, they got the mechanic and he read your message and said, we just got an ECM update on this.
    He drove the car - and then he "performed re-flash for engine control module (ECM) for too high rpm when clutch is depressed." and -- she runs perfectly now. You were RIGHT ON!
    Carol
    Glad I could be of help. We see a lot of weird stuff (and try a lot of weird stuff) on our subies at our shop so sometimes we get lucky in diagnosing things. Glad it is now resolved and you are a happy camper! I love when folks are happy with their Subarus, and I don't even work for them! haaaa.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Touchdown!

Nice call, mike. :shades:
    Absolutely, and thanks for letting us know that it worked, Carol!
  • Mike,
    I was so excited to tell you that my car was fixed that I forgot one very important thing... THANK YOU !! THANK YOU!! ... We have told everyone about this (Edmunds) and advised them if they need help, here is the place to find it.

Again, many thanks.
    ~Carol :)
    No problem glad I could help!

-mike
  • I have a 2003 outback wagon with 120,000 miles. The engine was replaced 2 months ago due to a failed connecting rod bearing. Now 2 months later the transmission has failed. Does anyone have experience with trans failures as a result of engine replacement? I will see the disassembled trans tomorrow so I will have a better feel for what failed. I was only told a shaft by the dealer.
  • I'm having a terrible day! Our 2001 Outback with 150,000 miles, has been making a grinding sound when we shift into 1st or from 1st into 2nd. We thought probably a gear/transmission thing...we are definately not car people...so mechanics can tell us anything. We've just moved here and don't know anyone to refer us to a good mechanic. Anyway, we took it to AAMCO in Manassas, Va.

They just called and said it was probably the synchronizer and that to fix it the labor would be $1017.00. They couldn't say what the parts cost would be until they opened it up. We just had a new clutch installed last month--at a different shop. AAMCO told us that the flywheel should have been retooled when the clutch was done, but wasn't. AAMCO said they could do it for us while they had the car.

Does their diagnosis of the grinding sound reasonable, and is the $1017 for labor sound reasonable. Could it be something else? We just had a new baby last week and this expense is the last thing we needed! We're going to have to borrow the money from my parents.

Thank you--Lori