Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems

Comments

• sparky56sparky56 Posts: 8
    For what it is worth, it looks like they issued a recall on the manual transmissions on July 15, per the NHTSA website.
  • sparky56sparky56 Posts: 8
    Make that July 15, 2010. We had to have the dealer replace our 6 speed in June.
  • kmarkell1kmarkell1 Posts: 2
    Please let me know if you find an answer to this question! I bought a Legacy on the exact same day as you and have experienced the same thing. I am the only one that drives my car and I am a relatively gentle driver- I've been babying it!

Thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    Maybe it was lost in translation somewhere, but what engine and transmission does your car have? I'm thinking we must be talking about some sort of automatic, but that is as far as I can reasonably deduce.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • When I accelerate from first to second the car jumps a little, it is an automatic. The jump is like a jolt or kick, feels like it might be a tranny problem. All the other gears shift pretty smooth and the car drives really good. Just seeing if anyones knows if this is an early, or late sign of a transmission slip or something simple. Thanks guys
  • mjmay9mjmay9 Posts: 1
    Same problem with our '11 Legacy. Hard down shift and it is not dependent on the driver. We like everything about the car except this one problem. Very annoying.
  • I have had the same issue!!! I called Subaru Corporate over 140 times, I talked to Deloria Marshall.... 1-800-782-2783. I think she went to school to learn how to NOT help people, she is worthless!! But I called so many times she finally had no choice. They did fix it, I had to threaten with Lemon Law.

Your transmission is screwed up and they need to fix it!!!! Stay on it!

This is my third Subaru and my last, I will never own another Subi in my lifetime. Buick is supposed to come out with an AWD Wagon.
    So, what was done in order to fix it? I mean, other than the myriad phone calls, etc.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • what did they do to fix it?? i was given a 7yr warranty. i'd like more info. to go back to them with. i still have the bump!
  • So my transmission has gone and I need to order a new one, I was looking online and I found descriptions of a transmission " 2002 SUBARU IMPREZA Transmission - Automatic Transmission, 2.5L, Outback & TS" I will call the company to confirm that it matches but I wanted a 2nd opinion on if the transmissions for the legacy and outback 2002 are the same?

Thanks for help in advance
    Yes, they all use the same 4EAT. The primary difference may be the speedometer calibration, so as long as you make sure to hang onto your current transmission and swap everything out between the two (wiring harness, etc), you should be good to go with your replacement.
  • It seems this is a common problem. My new Outback lurches when you slow almost to a stop and then accelerate. It's a 3.6 liter engine with 5-speed automatic transmission. This is just WRONG for a new car with under 500 miles on it. Any suggestions on how best to get this fixed? Others have reported similar problems with their transmissions, but no one reports success getting a fix from Subaru. I hope it's because, once fixed, no one comes back to this forum!
  • My husband found a site for subaru technical updates and we had it applied at the dealer yesterday (2011 outback limited 3.6). I will have to see if it fixed the problem or not. I have had the jerking since the day I bought the car. This is my third visit with the issue. I wanted to take it in sooner, before my husband found the technical bulletins but subaru and the dealer told me there was no fix and ignored my problem. Corporate did give a free gold package after several phonecalls. I can get back to you with the version of that fix.
    Funny thing, in the mail also yesterday I recieved a letter from Kimmel & Silverman of lemonlaw.com saying that many subaru owners have contacted them with the same issue. They are offering means of compensation.
  • I had exactly the same problem with my new Legacy.
    After reading the posts on this site when I took my car into the local dealership for its 7500 miles service I described the problem. They test drove it, verified the problem, and quote 'reprogrammed the transmission computer back to factory setting'. This immediately and complete fixed the problem. There was no charge. I read on another forum somewhere that reprogramming is the fix for this problem.
  • The service bulletin #11-104-11/ SSMIII Update version 1.28.42.7

take this info to your dealer and tell them you want this technical update applied to your car.
  • Hi...I don't know if this problem has been posted or not, but I have a '99 Outback/Legacy that has high miles, and all of a sudden the transmission has been shifting rough. The RPM's will increase, and then it will shift hard, and it won't shift into overdrive at all. We changed fluid and filter...no change. Do you think its electrical, like a sensor bad, or is it the whole transmission going bad? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    How does it do when initially putting it into gear from a stop? It seems that 1999 has a higher-than-normal incidence of transmission failures, and engagement delay is generally the first sign.

Hopefully, this is not the case with yours, but I wouldn't rule out needing to rebuild the transmission as a possible option.
  • When initially putting into gear from a stop, it does fine, and it tends to shift better when cold. Do they have by chance a temp sensor? It seems to shift rougher as it warms up. Also, I bought the car used, and I believe they put on a 2000 Forester transmission. We just did a lot of work on the car changing out the timing belt/pulleys, head gaskets, valve job, and all of a sudden the transmission has started having trouble. I didn't know if there was any chance the electrical got messed up when we did the engine work. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
    Possibly. Was the engine pulled from the car when they did this work? If so, they would have disconnected the connector(s) to the transmission. I can't remember if it is one or two, but it is located on the passenger side of the bell housing, near the top, and should be easy to access. If you pull the plug(s) apart, and then reconnect them, that should do the trick. You could also add some dielectric grease to the end of the female portion of the connector to ensure a solid connection.
  • mpm94mpm94 Posts: 2
    There is a reprogram for the transmission's computer. I had ine reporgrammed yesterday and the learching has stopped. Rob from SUbaru of America pushed the dealership to do it. I asked if there was going to be a recall, he said not unless enough people complain. THe dealership in Hartford told me I was the 1st customer to complain at this point. What a difference the reprogram has made!
  • mpm94mpm94 Posts: 2
    My 2011 Legacy 3.6R had the transmission's computer reprogrammed yesterday. The problem has stopped! ROb from Subaru of America pushed my dealer to fix it. As I was leaving the dealership after the reprogram was done, they told me that I was their 1st customer to complain about this issue.
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    It seems that this Lurching in the Tranny gear change is focused on 3.6R Auto Tranny, right?

If you go the Legacygt.com forum which I frequently goto, I have not found a single complaint posted about this. I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i with the CVT Tranny. No problems to date.

The biggest problem posted on the forum is a "shimmy" Issue with 2010s, not sure if the 2011s have it. I didn't experience the shimmy issue either, but my car was Dealer Car which I bought as a CPO in February 2010. They did apply a number of TSBs automatically.
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    edited November 2011
    I had this updated taken care of yesterday and the lurching/jerking is completely gone. The service bulletin #11-104-11/ SSMIII Update version 1.28.42.7. It is for later 2011 and early 2012 models (3.6 H-6 models only...does not apply to the CVT 2.5). My dealer (Camelback, Phoenix) did not know of it, but quickly found the software fix to flash the computer. In and out in under 30 minutes without an appointment :)

-Karen in AZ-
    :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear they took care of you.
  • I have a 2011 Outback manufactured in March 2011 that has the transmission lurching issue after you slow down and then accelerate. The issue just started around 9,000 miles. Has anyone else experienced the problem on the 2.5 CVT? Does the service bulletin referenced in previous post only address the 3.6L?
  • tgl3tgl3 Posts: 6
    i have the 3.6R and also posted this problem over a year ago. Dealer kept my car 2 days and told me it was normal and all the 3.6R are like that. For the last year have had to carefully feather the gas whenever speeding up after slowing down (otherwise it slams into low gear). Went to my dealer armed with the information from this thread, asked them to apply 11-104-11 and my problem is now fixed. thank you all.
  • please look at subaru recall notice for the manual trans. they had a oil passage that was not drilled and the rear cluster bearing pack. it will fail just like you are expericing. subaru should replace it for free also did you get a recall notace in the mail?. if not please call the dealear and ask them to run your vin numbers for recalls i am willing to bet your is on that list . i do belive that it doesent matter if you bought it used or not it's thier prolbem.
    You replied to me, but I've never had any trans issues with any of our 3 Subarus. Reliability on all mine have been exemplary.
  • OOps i thought it was you that was asking the question about the transmission .
    Any one? Buehler? Buehler?