Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems

1141516171820»

Comments

• jwohlfjwohlf Posts: 1

@bpeebles said: I am still learning how to drive a CVT. Since the programming leans towards maximizing MPG, I find it tricky to maintain constant roadspeed on undulating roads (virtually every Vermont road). The slightest rise in the road is detected and it downshifts and slows down... then, when the road heads downhill, the speed gets away from me.

Back in my MANUAL transmission, on the very same roads, (and same engine!), I can maintain roadspeed within 2 MPH without ever looking at the speedometer.

I think some of it is the SOUND of the engine. Obviously with the manual xmission, it is perfectly linear with roadspeed. With the CVT, the engine-sound has absolutely no correlation to the roadspeed.

@bpeebles‌ You seem to be quite knowledgeable about CVT. I just bought a 2014 Outback. I have noticed (intermittently) that the car seems to shake/studder around 20mph. I have driven a manual trans in the past and that used to happen with that vehicle if I shifted to quickly (or not smoothly enough) into 2nd. I do notice that this tends to happen first thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting for a while. BUT -- this is summer (Maryland). Do I really need to warm up my car for 5+ minutes every day? Won't that mess with my mileage? I don't have a temp gauge on my dash, just a blue light comes on when I start the car. I warm it up enough for the revving to go down on its own to 1000.... I have an appt with my dealer, but I have little confidence in them right now... Do you think it is as simple as it needing to warm up even in the summer? I figured with a 2014 car, I could drive it as soon as it started - I thought new technology made the idea of warming up a car obsolete. Am I wrong? (I don't know much about cars, obviously!) Thanks for any help!!

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085

All you have to do is start the engine and drive it gently until the blue lite goes out. The computer will properly manage engine RPM (keep RPM a tad higher during warmup)

If you feel that there is something amiss with the way it drives, perhaps there is a something to it and your dealer may find it.

• davidpotterdavidpotter Posts: 7

there are two metal tubes the restrict how much the filter can move, hence why i cant remove it. im not sure one is for the dipstick, but to remove the filter it looks i may have to remove at least one of the tubes. what i am unsure about is how to properly remove them. would the shop manual cover something as specific as thant?

ryan

A better day. Tech new online, good luck to You.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,648

Ryan:

To which filter are you referring?

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon