Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Tire Issues

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yep, that's why I rotated tires often, usually 7500 miles or so.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yeah for the price of new tires, I'd just get 4 of the same. These are the single most important item to keep you safely planted.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Best all-season tire for 2000 Subaru Outback for W Coast and winter ski trips to mountains? Yokohama Avid TRZ’s?

I’m about to purchase a 2000 Subaru Outback and it turns out on inspection that the rear and front tires were not matched for tread type or tread wear, and no more than a 2/32 difference is recommended in tire size/tread, and all tires should be matched for tread. So I will have to replace them. Planning to drive the car on the W Coast in N California after relocating now from the NE, mostly for drives of 5 to 45 min during the work week, and occasional weekend trips, including ski trips to the mountains in winter. I’m looking for a top quality all-season tire that will handle well in summer and winter conditions.

I’d sincerely appreciate your advice as I’m very careful about tires every since I bought my first car in college, a 7 year old Volvo, which had tires that checked out well enough, but in a medium rain storm, driving 30 mph on a Cliffside with one lane in each direction, with no sudden acceleration or steering moves, the car fishtailed 180 degrees, and I was lucky to “land” the car in my lane close to the inside of the road against the mountain. Some oil leaking down from a town above the road may have caused the road to be slick, but as soon as I put brand new top end all season tires on the car, it handled 10x better and safer. Never experienced that kind of slippage again.

In response to this question on Yahoo Answers, this poster below who owns 2 subarus recommended Yokohama Avid TRZ’s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ . I checked the reviews on Tirerack and the TRZs have an average overall rating of 8.52 out of 737 reviews, which is very good.
    http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=- Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ&tirePageLocQty=&commentStatus=P
    He was negative on Michelin for value and quick wear:

“I'm not sure if they're available in Australia, but I ran Yokohama Avid TRZ's on my 98 Outback.. they have a 700 treadwear rating, and the rain/ snow traction is excellent (I know not a lot of powder down there, but in a sudden downpour, they are amazing).. I drive mostly on-road, over 60 km one-way to work, and have taken them off road on occasion.. really surprising for an all season car tire. From my experience here stateside, Michelin is way overpriced, and the treads are too soft to get any real life out of; they do handle well though. Had nothing but bad experiences with Pirellis, may be just me. I'm currently running Dunlop Dirrezas on my 07 WRX.. and they have been wonderful so far. Stick like glue, and good in the rain. They are a summer- only tire though” * 4 weeks ago Source(s): 17 years in the repair trade, employed with a national tire distributor; owner of two Subarus.

Also, any suggestions on best place to pick tires up in the Silicon Valley area?
  • Best all-season tire for 2000 Subaru Outback for W Coast and winter ski trips to mountains? Yokohama Avid TRZ’s?

I’m about to purchase a 2000 Subaru Outback and it turns out on inspection that the rear and front tires were not matched for tread type or tread wear, and no more than a 2/32 difference is recommended in tire size/tread, and all tires should be matched for tread. So I will have to replace them. Planning to drive the car on the W Coast in N California after relocating now from the NE, mostly for drives of 5 to 45 min during the work week, and occasional weekend trips, including ski trips to the mountains in winter. I’m looking for a top quality all-season tire that will handle well in summer and winter conditions.

I’d sincerely appreciate your advice as I’m very careful about tires every since I bought my first car in college, a 7 year old Volvo, which had tires that checked out well enough, but in a medium rain storm, driving 30 mph on a Cliffside with one lane in each direction, with no sudden acceleration or steering moves, the car fishtailed 180 degrees, and I was lucky to “land” the car in my lane close to the inside of the road against the mountain. Some oil leaking down from a town above the road may have caused the road to be slick, but as soon as I put brand new top end all season tires on the car, it handled 10x better and safer. Never experienced that kind of slippage again.

In response to this question on Yahoo Answers, this poster below who owns 2 subarus recommended Yokohama Avid TRZ’s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ . I checked the reviews on Tirerack and the TRZs have an average overall rating of 8.52 out of 737 reviews, which is very good.
    http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=- - Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ&tirePageLocQty=&commentStatus=P
    He was negative on Michelin for value and quick wear:

“I'm not sure if they're available in Australia, but I ran Yokohama Avid TRZ's on my 98 Outback.. they have a 700 treadwear rating, and the rain/ snow traction is excellent (I know not a lot of powder down there, but in a sudden downpour, they are amazing).. I drive mostly on-road, over 60 km one-way to work, and have taken them off road on occasion.. really surprising for an all season car tire. From my experience here stateside, Michelin is way overpriced, and the treads are too soft to get any real life out of; they do handle well though. Had nothing but bad experiences with Pirellis, may be just me. I'm currently running Dunlop Dirrezas on my 07 WRX.. and they have been wonderful so far. Stick like glue, and good in the rain. They are a summer- only tire though” * 4 weeks ago Source(s): 17 years in the repair trade, employed with a national tire distributor; owner of two Subarus.

Also, any suggestions on best place to pick tires up in the Silicon Valley area?
  • I spoke with Tirerack.com and these 2 tires were their top pics for performance + value for all-season tires for the 2000 Subaru Outback Ltd Wagon:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity 225/60R16 $126 H sped rated - rated for 70,000 miles, supposed to offer just a little more responsive handling and a drop quieter ride than the Yokohama Avid TRZ, thanks to the stiffer tire, rated as a grand touring tire. There are less reviews for this than for the Yokohama Avid TRZ, but it appears well rated, though winter/snow ratings appear a little lower than the Yokohama Avid TRZ. Rated to 130 mph (as if I'd drive a 2000 Subaru Outback even close to that speed).

Yokohama Avid TRZ 225/60R16 $94 T speed rated4/ - rated for 80,000 miles - rated as a touring tire. Very large number of ratings and very highly rated, both for summer and winter conditions. Considered an excellent mix of quality and value. The Yokohama Avid TRZ also got a very good review in Yahoo Answers.

I have to decide in 2 days (by Monday evening) in order to take advantage of a $75 rebate for four Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Tires, if I want them. The Bridgestone rebate brings the cost of a set of 4 Bridgestone Turanza Serenity very close to the cost of a set of Yokohama Avid TRZs.

I'd sincerely appreciate your advice - I'm a first time Subaru owner and haven't had to keep a car for a few years now, so haven't bought tires in years.
  • tswitztswitz Posts: 3
    We just purchased an 08 Legacy with the Yokohama Advan A82A's on it. After 1 week I noticed a bubble on the sidewall. The Yoko dealer said it was an impact break from hitting a pothole or curb and that it wasn't covered. Long story short, I spoke to Yoko directly and received a new tire for free.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem with the Yoko's? We definately didn't hit anything to cause this impact break. The car had 500 miles on it when we bought it on a dealer trade so I assume that the damage occurred before I bought it and reared its ugly head after we started driving it.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I've had em on all different tires. Most recently RE070s, and Nokian Hakkapolita RSi.

-mike
  • Does anyone keep having trouble with the TPS light going on. I realize it's to let me know that my tires are low, but I have had them checked several times and inflated and then it's fine...(no leak or anything?)

Maybe it's electrical?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Check the air pressure in the AM, when the tires are cold.

You may be driving and heating up the tires, expanding the air and increasing the pressure to normal.

That happened to me with my van. In fact the light would come on, then turn off once the tires warmed up. There were only very slightly below the recommended pressure when cold, but the TPMS worked like a charm.
  • robm2robm2 Posts: 53
    Check the spare - it may have a pressure monitor, as well.
  • Thanks! I didn't even think about the spare.... :)
    I'm gonna agree with Juice. I had this on my Armada with TPMS. If they are only slightly low driving will heat em up and turn em off and when checked after warm, they'll read "ok".

-mike
  • I'm looking to buy a 09 Outback to replace my Jeep for winter driving in the mountains (I do most of my driving in winter) and to get me in and out of my house if I have to go out when it's snowing (my driveway is long and very steep).

So here's something I just can't understand. Look at the 09 Outback - it has heated seats, heated mirrors, even heated windshield wipers. It has as much ground clearance as my Jeep and a sophisticated AWD system with VDC. On paper, it would seem to be the perfect "snow beast" - until you look at the tires.

What's with the racetrack tires on this thing - there's virtually no tread! Does this make any sense at all? I've read in forums like this one that these Bridgestone Pontenza RE92A's (OEM) are useless in snow - maybe even worse than useless - dangerous!

There must be people like me out there who are about to buy a new Outback and know how bad these tires are. What can we do about it? Any luck negotiating with dealers for something better (They've got to know how bad these tires are and that they just don't belong on a vehicle like this).
  • I've gone through two winters with the Potenzas on my 07Outback, one very snowy and one so-so. Those tires certainly make winter driving an adventure. I ran Nokian WRs on my prior Outback and on my wife's current Outback. They are expensive, a little loud, but they are great in the winter on snow and ice. They are All Season and Winter rated, and they are on my short list to replace my Potenzas now with 22k on them.

But if I were driving on mountain roads and up and down a long driveway, I'd seriously consider a dedicated winter tire.
  • Thanks for your reply. Did you know how bad the Pontenza's were before you bought your 07 Outback? Sounds like you have lots of experience with prior Outbacks - did they not have Pontenza's? It's bothering me a lot to have to accept tires like these on a brand new Outback because I consider them to be worthless and completely inexplicable on a vehicle with such cold weather credentials. I'd like to get the dealer to agree that they're terrible and put on something better before I take delivery.

You suggested a dedicated winter tire, which I think is what I may have to do. I did this with my Jeep after the Wranglers wore out. The Michelins I bought are 2 years old and have more tread on them now than most new tires. They're loud and the tread is very aggressive, but the Jeep is really a truck and doesn't handle nicely at highway speeds anyway. It has the dynamics of a brick so at highway speeds there's so much wind noise you can't hear how loud the tires are - I'm lucky I can hear the radio. In contrast, the Outback looks to be much more car-like so I'd like to give a set of good all-season tires a try first. Then if they don't perform well in winter I'll get a set of winter tires - but I'll run them all year round like I do now on my Jeep. This works for me because I do most of my driving in the winter. I just go around town and don't put on many miles during the warmer weather when the winter tires would otherwise get worn down prematurely. Do you run your Nokian WR's year round or change 'em over twice a year?
  • My '06 Outback is due for new tires at 33k miles. We drive freeways, back roads, dirt roads, and some desert "sorta" roads. The car is capable, but have not been able to find any on/off road rated tires in the 225 55R 17 size. Wold appreciate any suggestions.
  • The 02 and 04 Outbacks came with Potenza RE 92s which weren't very good. My dealer wasn't receptive to switching out tires, but some on this forum have reportedly done so. Yes, its annoying, at the least, to put done so much money for a new car only to have to think about spending more money on better tires.

We run the Nokians year round.
  • Thanks again. I just looked online at your Nokians and they look like they can handle snow really well. And you run them year-round which is great because buying another set of wheels is not for me and changing them over twice a year is not a good solution either. So you're happy with these tires in both Summer and Winter?

You mentioned "expensive" - would you be willing to say how much for a set of 4?
    The RE92s are put on because the car is not exclusively sold in snow packed tundras and agressive tires would kill the EPA gas milage (same reason why you see street tires on most SUVs and Pickups these days).

I run Nokian Hakka RSi tires in the winter and dedicated summers on my LGT wagon. The RSi tires are the best I've ever used in snow on any car. But they are $190 shipped so they aren't cheap.

-mike
  • I have Goodyear TripleTreds on my wife's Malibu, and when I buy (hopefully very soon) the or another Outback I'm looking at, I want to put those on. They are great all-season. I have had a great experience with them. Living in MI we get all sorts of weather.
This discussion has been closed.