Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exterior Visual Mods (Spoilers, Body Kits, etc)

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,611
    Hi,

I'm going to move your post to our regular Paint and Body Repair Forum in the Maintenance & Repair Board. This board is strictly for custom stuff.

MrShiftright
    Co-Host

• No need for a body kit with the 2007 Toyota Supra concept

• how did you mannage that sure the colors ok but what about quality :confuse: this sign is the coolest one i think :lemon:
  • vehix.com if not i dont know :confuse:
  • i have a 1968 ford mustang coupe it is black and has keystone classics the intirior is white and black it was originaly gold (the body) i have no engine
  • j4nier....go to hothues.com, (dupont) and it's a virtual paint site and gives you several cars as models to try out different paint colors and graphics too..fun to play with also !!

But i have a question for you. what would it be worth to you if you could buy a pre-designed "custom" paint scheme for your car and apply it yourself in a few hours? ...this is a nascar style "racewrap" that can be removed or easily replaced if damaged and does not effect the paint under the "wrap" design.??? I have pictures of this if you want to see them, email me and i will send you a few to look at.

This is something I am working on now, as an artist it is an exciting challenge to see what can be done. I am not trying to solicit business, but I know that guys like you are looking for a way to "customize" your car with unique paint schemes and it's something I am interested in as an artist. Just an idea, let me know what you all think of it, ok?
  • HI! I just bought an 01 audi tt, and it's black- I'm ok with it but I'd rather it not be. I would like to do a paint job where it looks one color from one way/ and another color another way- red and orange. :) I would like to know if anyone can recommend what to look for when selecting someone to do it and how much it might cost me. Thankies! :shades:
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    I would personally advise you to keep black, unless you have EXTREMELY deep pockets. To do it right would require you to remove every body panel on the car, remove the engine so you can paint the engine bay and remove most of the interior and trunk pieces to paint over the black. Reason for this is so when you open the door on your nice new paint job, the inside of the doors aren't black. Also the color changing paint is around (or used to be around) 800 dollars a quart. Just a few things to think about before you decide to do it.
  • how mutch dose a paint job coast for just one soled coler?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Join the Eagle One team in a live chat event tonight to find out how nanotechnology is changing the future in car appearance products.

There's also going to be a special offer available only to those attending the chat. The chat starts at 9PM ET/6PM PT. Here's the link:

Eagle One Team Chat

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If done PROPERLY...painting the door jambs, under hood, inside the truck, etc etc etc...your talking upwards of 5 grand.
    and if you use the highest grade materials, that $5K is MINIMUM....good paint and undercoat is quite expensive.

• lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    I just saw an ad for a Porsche 944 with a new top notch paint job that cost $1600. He thinks it is collector quality. I wonder if it is even decent driver quality.
    Well a good "gun man" (a skillful person with a spray gun) can make even cheap paint look pretty good, but really you still only get a tape job with cheap paint for $1,600. Nobody is going to remove all the glass, trim, upholstery, etc. and strip the car to bare metal for THAT price. What you get is a rough sand, some bondo for the dents, and a good masking job and run of the mill quality paint and primer.

Let's see that $1,600 paint job in a year or two.

I've spent half that much just to BUY the paint, primers, solvents, papers, fillers, etc. for a paint job.

$1600 is about what a good PREP job would cost, not including painting. almost better buying the car in the color you like and putting a new engine in it.
  • Go to the BASF Automotive Refinish's site CarizzmaColors.com and you can check out the Gallery of tons of cars, trucks, Chopper, and all other things. Also, their is an online chip book where you can click on the paint color and print it out on photo paper. Pretty cool stuff and RM/Carizzma is the offical paint of Overhaulin' on TLC. Top quality stuff and their is also a body shop locator or if you are a painter their is a distributor locator. Just trying to help!
  • This probably a little too late but it is called the Abflug S900 kit. It is a huge kit that is very expensive.

It will cost you atleast 10k-17k to get one if you can find it and the pay another grand to have it shipped over seas.
  • I normally get white cars because I don't have a garage for them. They get the full sun each day and I live close to the ocean so there's alot of salt in the always moist air.

This time I've decided to get artic blue silver. It's a metalic paint and I'm concerned about durability and properly taking care of it (I'll drive the car until it rusts away.

The dealer (whom I actually trust) has suggested a $750 clear coat that he'll do for $500. He believes this coat will significantly affect my paints durablilty.

ANY COMMENTS???
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Is the dealer going to clear coat it with paint or just wax? Hard to believe that they'd be able to paint on a layer of clear coat for $750 after taping everything.

Try asking in the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

No no no...thats for the "clear coat protectant". No one would reclear a brand new car its stupid. Better off just washing it twice a week and waxing it regularly. Least thats what worked on my black truck when i was in florida.
  • cheerrycheerry Posts: 2
    I Have a big dent on the right fender and acid burn on the roof from vandelism on my 2003 Corolla. I got the cheapest estimate from Earl Scheib Paint & Body of $661 with 3 years warranty on the paint job. With the clear coat, it will be additional $99 and they will extend to 6 years warranty.

Do you think it's worth getting that clear coat. OR Will that Clear coat protect the paint of car longer? Do you think Scheib is a reliable shop? Will their paint job chip and peel or fade quickly after a few years?

Thank You for your help.
    Clear coat is what is already on your car, you absolutly want to put the clear coat back on the car again. The clear is what gives the paint its shine.
  • cheerrycheerry Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Since I originally have a clear coat on the car, would it be a bad idea to have a clear coat done again on the whole car at Earl Scheib. Is it going to peel after a few years?
    I don't think having Scheib paint a car this new is a good idea.

• Hey itr,

That pic you have posted, who makes the bodykit?? its killa I love it!!

Really considering it for my supra
  • their are a few things that you are saying that are just not true, you said a good painter should not have to buff his work it should come out perfect.........i dont think their is such a painter on the face of the earth, their is alwys something slightly imperfect with every thing that gets painted, be it excessive orange peel, dirt, fisheye, the list goes on, buffing a repair is a necessary step in the process, end of story. Second you say their is no excuse for oragne peel???? are you serious??? every car that is manufactred has some form of orange peel, some more than others but all have peel, if you were to totally sand out the orange peel of the panel you paint it would not match the rest of the car, and it would look horrible! Not to insult you, but do you have any autobody experience whatsoever?
    never said that about buffing, sorry if you misunderstood something.

Orange peel is a defect in workmanship. It can happen, sure, but it must be corrected before the car is delivered to the customer. Orange peel is not "normal" or "acceptable" to any kind of person who takes pride in his/her work.

here's a good site that explains why orange peel is a "mistake" and what causes it.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/orange_peel/in- - - dex.cfm

But you're right, sometimes you'll see orange peel right from the factory....but on a Subaru, not a BMW...

Also you're right, orange peel can be corrected if it's not too bad.

My body shop (s) would never deliver a car to me like that.

• On a completely separate note I am looking for a body kit for my car, and a friend referred me to this site,

http://www.autodirectsave.com/parts/Body_Kits_&_Conversions

What you guys say, or any other resource you can pass to me

Thanks for any help from anyone
    Dave
  • im just trying this as summit new once you have paint on to the body work im guessing that there has to be some form of varnish over the top just wondering what sort ??? thx