Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Had that happen with my 03 cav a few times, seems to be from sitting in the sun for too long, getting too hot. Disconnecting the battery, (just disconnect the negative terminal) for a few seconds and reconnect fixed the problem both times
  • exarkunivexarkuniv Posts: 2
    Hi all

i have a 2000 cavalier 2.4 with 161000 miles

and i have been seeing it slowly overheating a little it ran for 8 years at 190 and never moving now it runs at 195 and when you stop you see it move to 200 or 205 ( i guessing what the temp is by counting the marks).

i know it is not a big deal i just don't trust it. there is no reason for it to just move now and nothing causing it, there's something going on.

it has never been flushed ever or the dex cool never replaced i did have to drian to replace the thermostat so i add some to it for that.

i think its time to have it flushed and replace the thermostat again ( it been a few years for that one).

what all you think? i just want to get ahead of this one before something goes boom

thanks for any help.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,641
    The "book" doesn't mention removing the front wheel for either engine---perhaps they are assuming you are on a lift.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Check the basic stuff. For example, is the fan working? Are you losing coolant? Is there any evidence of coolant leaking into the oil? Good luck.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    I Just bought an 04 Cavalier with 85,000 miles for my son. the lady who owned had the oil changed regularly and replaced the brakes and tire other than that its all original. I know if I take it to my mechanic he will have a field day with timing belt, hoses, radiator flushes, tranny flush etc... What do you guys think needs to get replaced on this car to avoid future break downs?
    Well you could find out how old the battery is. If it's the original, definitely replace that.

Most breakdowns are fairly simple things, like belts, hoses, tires, coolant leaks, oil leaks....so I'd check all those things.

Also figure out if it uses oil or not, and if it does, the lad has to be really on top of that.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    Mr Shiftright:
    Yep I found a receipt for a battery also. I do not want this car to break down on my boy so do you think its time to replace all the wear parts like belt hoses spark plug wires etc.... Or do think if it aint broke don't fix it?
  • sharpndsharpnd Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport. I just recently had everything checked and a few things replaced. The front brakes replaced (brake masters), new tires put on, and just yesterday I paid a mechanic to replace the two front Window motors in both doors (performed at my home). My car was finally running in tip-top shape, or so I thought. After trying to start my car in the garage today, it started acting funny; I’ll do my best to explain:

1. Car started but couldn’t shift into reverse to back-out. Turned off the car. Tried to turn back on, it *begins* to start and then dies. It was continually doing this.

2. Checked battery and all connections, seemed fine. Went to start car and it was doing the same thing as mentioned above (would almost start and then just die).

3. After trying a few more times, I got the car to start. However, all gauges acted as if the car was off. RPM showed 0, speedometer (even when moving) showed zero, temperature 0, gas 0. The car would drive fine though (only took it out of the driveway and back in). I also noticed the custom CD deck that was put in wouldn’t turn on. It was acting as if the car was off. I also just tried turning on the car with just the battery - the stereo system still acted as if the car was off.

4. I turned off the car and the process repeated where it kept shutting off when trying to start it. I got it to turn on a few more times, but it took awhile – and still did the same things mentioned as above.

That's where I'm at, and I'm pretty clueless. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thank you for your time!
    Spark plug wires and tune-up parts for sure if it hasn't been done. As for belts and hoses, a careful inspection of same would be in order. Probably the struts are worn out but this is not something that will cause the car to break down. Gotta check for oil and coolant leaks by lifting the car.

I'd also check all the fluids and if they are dirty, flush 'em. For instance, if you have murky, dark brake fluid, change that. And the coolant should look clean.
  • momtiwns5momtiwns5 Posts: 2
    My daughter's 2002 cavalier has about 84000 miles and one night when she was driving the car shut off and the check engine and oil lights came on. She took it to shop and they said that was too vague to figure out what was wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the problem.
  • sounds to me like the throttle positioning sensor needs to be replaced. I went through that about a year ago in my 2001 cavalier. its a small sensor on the back of the engine, very easy to access. wont even cost $30 to fix.
  • quiet1pquiet1p Posts: 2
    My daughter drove her car yesterday,. It was fine.. Last night she went to go to the store.. put key in and it wont turn the ignition even to the acc. The steering wheel is locked.. its in park.. we tried everything to get it to turn the slighest bit.. Please help if you can... Thanks in advance!!!!
  • vehicle stalling intermittenly. Any suggestions
  • it could be a the transmission coolent lines, the come off the tranny and go into the bottom of the rad and top of the ride...under the car black lines, looking from front they are on the right side