Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon Hybrid

Comments

• chadxchadx Posts: 153
    "After taxes, the real extra cost is $7,620, and the predicted break-even point over time is 17 years! The hybrid version is considerably more complex; hence, reliability factors and normal vehicle service life indicate one will NEVER recoup the extra cost for the hybrid. But you can claim you are "going green."

I think you are missing the point of this hybrid. It is not only about saving money. Actually, no current hybrid is about saving money. At this point, you don't buy a hybrid as a strictly economical choice. If you are only concerned about payback, a hybrid isn't for you. They do, however, use way less gasoline than an equivalent non-hybrid, which is beneficial in so many ways. Plus, the current hybrids are stepping stones in bringing down cost, improving technology, and improving mileage even more. Maybe at some point, there will be a shorter payback and that train of thought will have it's place. It should continue to happen as technology improves and as gas prices continue to rise.

You also seem to complain about the minimal mpg improvement. What most people don't consider is that from a percentage improvement, it is on par with the hybrid cars. On a vehicle that only gets 16mpg on average, and bumping that to 19mpg on average, you jumped almost 19%. For comparisons sake, a non-hybrid that gets 32mpg would have to jump to a little over 38mpg. (and, per both the EPA sticker ratings and edmunds real-world tests, the mileage improvements for the Tahoe hybrid are actually more than 19% improvement)

Even more telling is how many gallons of gas one would save in a year.

Even based on only 15,000 miles a year (many drive much more):
    16mpg = 937 gallons
    19mpg = 789 gallons
    Saved 148 gallons/year with a 19% improvement.

32mpg= 469 gallons
    38mpg= 395 gallons
    Saved 74 gallons/year with a 19% improvement.

So the 19% improvement in mileage avoided the use of 148 gallons when done on a poor mileage vehicle and the 19% improvement in mileage saved 74 gallons when done on a good mileage vehicle. So this goes back to a point many people have mentioned (but people seem to forget). We should be focusing hybrid technology on the worst of the worst gas guzzlers rather than the best of the best. There is more benefit. More gallons of gas saved per mile driven.
  • I have ine and it was prices 12,000 below the 68 you are suggesting
  • bboozebbooze Posts: 34
    I've been told by more than one dealer that pricing will be close to MSRP - i.e. about $55,500 for a Tahoe Hybrid 4x4 with Entertainment and sunroof.
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    I've been told by more than one dealer that pricing will be close to MSRP - i.e. about $55,500 for a Tahoe Hybrid 4x4 with Entertainment and sunroof.

Yea there are dealers that are selling Yukons at the starting selling price of MSRP. But there other dealers that are price gouging. Here's another Yukon Hybrid for about 60K.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ncal_id=1974936&car_id=238818089&dealer_id- =606776&car_year=2008&num_records=25&model=YUKON&systime=&make2=&start_year=2008- &engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&searc- h_type=new&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=GMC&color=&keyw- ords_display=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_so- rt=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=89523&advance- d=&end_year=2008&transmission=&doors=&car_year=2008&max_price=&cardist=500

I am Still considering a Yukon Hybrid but for leasing. The banks just released thier numbers for residual values on a lease for a Yukon/hybrids. After 36 months @15k miles a year the residuals are at about 47% of MSRP. Thats pretty lousy.

Audi Q7 lease for residual is 51% of MSRP with a very low money factor .00060 and with Audi capital reduction of MSRP adds up to great lease.
  • My Yukon Hybrid is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've not seen the final figures on it yet, but it should come in just under $55K with the sunroof and DVD player.

Does anyone know yet if they all have the big HYBRID sticker along the bottom of the doors?
    >

Apparently they do. However I have talked to the dealer (have a Tahoe hybrid on order that should arrive any day) and have told him that I want those stickers removed. They have told me more than once that that will not be a problem, so you should be able to have them do that for you if you wish.

I don't know why GM has to do that. There's something to be said for being "subtle".
  • beltonrbeltonr Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of my hybrid Tahoe. Haven't driven it enough to have many comments. I'm still trying to get everything set up and adjusted. It's really solid and quiet, though. I hope this forum develops into a helpful site to swap ideas and provide helpful suggestions, not just a bunch of whines. I don't intend to be one of the whiners.
  • I picked up my Yukon today!

The 2WD with sunroof and DVD player was $53K...exactly what we priced it out as on the GM website.

You can't hear the engine running and don't notice any shift from electric to gasoline. It handles beautifully!

It has 9 badges or hybrid stickers on it. After we drive it a bit we may decide to take off the window Hybrid stickers or the long one on the doors. But, for now we plan to leave them on.
  • what did you pay? did you get the 4x4 or 4x2? how long did it take to receive from ordering date? I just looked at one and was impressed. I was originally looking at the lexus 400h but it was too small for my needs. the Tahoe looks great!
    I ordered mine way back in January and it was supposed to arrive last week but now I'm told that "it's on the train from texas and should be here this week."

I'm quite anxious to get this thing. I'm going to have the stickers removed right away...I don't mind the other badging.
  • I paid sticker price which was $52,310 which included the sunroof and DVD player on the 4x2.
    We actually started talking to our dealer in early December and they placed the order at the end of January. So, it took about 4 weeks for delivery.

We love it! The shift from electric to gasoline is not noticeable at all. And, it seems to handle a bit easier than my prior 2004 Yukon.

I would love to hear if anyone else has received theirs yet?
  • Not sure where you are, but we are only a couple of hours out of Dallas and it took 2 days by truck once we knew it was on its way.
    It's interesting you say that because apparently mine is being shipped via rail from Texas. Guess I should've bought it in Texas so that I could get it quicker.

On another note, it looks like most people are paying at or close to sticker, no? I hope so...then I don't feel so bad. :confuse:
  • The Yukon's are built in Arlington just next to Dallas. My understanding as mentioned earlier in this chain was that they only built 650 of the 2008 models making them somewhat scarce. But, will have full production for the 2009 models.

We were told by our dealer that we had the first Yukon Hybrid sold. But, we weren't sure if it was nationwide or just in our region. Our Chevy dealer hasn't even received a demo model yet for the Tahoe.

And, I was pleased that my dealer gave me sticker price and not add a premium due to limited availability.

Good luck on getting yours!
    Mine finally arrived and I'm going to pick it up today. Can't wait!
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!

Let me know what you think!
    I took delivery on my Tahoe Hybrid a week ago and am very pleased with it. This was in fact the first American car I've purchased since high school.

Given that I'm going from a Passat to this Tahoe, it has taken some getting used to driving this beast. Upon taking delivery I had the dealer take off the "Hybrid" stickers that ran across the bottom of both doors as well as the stickers on the front and rear windows. I think that gives it a much cleaner look and really highlights the body style of the truck.

As far as how it rides, it is very comfortable. Being the first hybrid I've ever driven, I can only tell when I'm in hybrid mode and when the engine is running due to the sound, because it sort of feels like you're driving an electric golf car when you're in hybrid mode. Very quiet but a little "whirr" as the hybrid kicks in. The transition from hybrid to gas and back to hybrid is imperceptible. Also, at higher speeds, the transition from V4 to V8 as you are speeding along is totally smooth.

My very early results have yielded about 18mpg driving in and around the Chicago area, which gives me a good mix of expressway and city driving. I think the mileage will improve a bit once the weather warms up here because the Tahoe seems to need to warm up (i.e. oil and such) before it will start using the hybrid mode; hybrid kicks in a lot quicker when I drive the Tahoe from my heated garage vs. after it has been sitting outside.

The interior of the Tahoe is a lot better than what I was expecting. My aversion to buying American cars has always been the 'cheap' feel of the interior but Chevy did a nice job on this one. The seats are comfortable, the instrument panel is easy to read and uncluttered. Heat/air and radio controls are logical. The rear seats directly behind the driver are very roomy, but the third row of seats are basically useless if you ask me since there is zero legroom back there. I'm just taking those seats out for additional storage in the back. My wife has an Acura MDX from last year and that has a lot more bells & whistles than the Tahoe does inside. Stuff like pre-programmed seat positions, handsfree phone use. Also, I was surprised that the Tahoe lacks a six-disc CD changer, which the dealer said was due to space constraints from the navigation system. Somehow, other cars w/ navigation have been able to overcome this.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with the purchase and will update the board with any other things I like or don't like about it.
  • kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    The '06 Highlander Hybrid is rated to tow 3500 lbs.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    A reporter hopes to speak with current, former and prospective owners of the hybrid Yukon and hybrid Tahoe. If you own/ed one of these vehicles, or have considered buying or leasing one, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience no later than Thursday, March 20, 2008.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager