Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Are The Top 6 Luxury Brands?

1234568»

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,938
    edited November 2011
    "We came to the strong conclusion that the sales chances for the Mercedes brand are much stronger than those for Maybach," Mr. Zetsche was quoted as saying in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung interview, whose contents Daimler confirmed."

Daimler to Scrap Its Maybach Luxury Cars (Wall St. Journal)

Looks like production will end by 2013.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,496
    I thought production ended around 2007 :shades:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,938
    That was sales. :P

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    edited November 2011
    Shoot, now's the time to get a great deal on that never-titled 2007 Maybach 62! Maybe Kanye and Jay Z could just keep buying Maybachs to trash in their videos until the remaining inventory is exhausted?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    After all, a company must be profitable to survive. 200 sales, no matter what the price is, cannot be justified in a year. Ford dropped the venerable Lincoln Town Car because it had only 17,000 sales last year. Not enough to keep the line profitable and moving. I thought it was a mistake, many limo companies mourned the loss as nothing made a better limo for a good price. But you can't argue the economics. I'm not surprised at the Maybach sales though, because even if you can afford one, you won't trade it in every year, most likely. ONce you have one, it will last you a while.... and there are only so many people in the world who can afford one and want one, or two. There is also Rolls, Bentley and Porsche competing for this market. And lastly, they can make about as nice an S class.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,735
    Well the issue with the Town Car was that that plant making it and the Crown Vic was running at about 40% capacity and it didn't make sense to continue manufacturing a car that is based on a 21 YO design.

The problem with Maybach was that MB brought back a name that didn't mean anything to today's buyers. Rolls Royce and Bentley are known - Maybach, not so much.
    Most importantly for Maybach, it is just tacky, looking like a Chinese fakey S-class. No presence like a Rolls, no badge like a Bentley or higher end MB etc.

I think TC and CV/GM must have been 95%+ fleet sales by the end.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,735
    I think TC and CV/GM must have been 95%+ fleet sales by the end.

It was 100% fleet sales for the last 2 years of production.
    I know when I rented a "premium" car last month, the choices I could initially take were a TC and a GM. My reply was pretty much "not gonna happen".

I would have imagined there'd be enough octogenarian demand to sell a few thousand TCs a year, but maybe they all moved to the DTS.
    Hey! I'm just a little over half an octogenarian! I also have a GM and wouldn't mind a TC either!
    You're pretty much a special case :P

You've got the DTS and the GM, maybe you need a TC to round out the pack...
    edited November 2011
    Workin' on it! There's a 2003 TC that's in pretty nice shape for sale in my neighborhood I pass by from time to time.
    Go for it, they are durable. You might have to fight off the airport town car services though, around here they snatch up all of the 98+ models as quickly as possible, probably running them up to 400K+ miles as the cars can take it.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,326
    When we were in DC a couple of weeks ago the cab we rode in was a CV with over 350K on it. Hard to kill those things.
    I rode in a TC once that was heading for 300K, I think. The interior wasn't showroom fresh, but it seemed to be running and driving fine.
    ...from the Philadelphia newspaper:

Sergio Scaglietti, 91
  • poaformpoaform Posts: 1
    first off lincoln does not deserve to be in the luxury car post... unless you are an old man
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Well let's do it this way.

Your income:

Lower Class:

Middle Class

Upper Class

Even higher

Think you have money

Too damn much money

I believe while some car(s) might make a few lists, each should be different (for different folks)

Skip
1234568»