Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check Engine light

Comments

• gusgus Posts: 254
    #29> what year and model car do you own?
  • albertaguyalbertaguy Posts: 2
    i own a 1989 pontiac grand am i just changed the tcc solenoid in it.
    just removed pan removed and replaced solenoid and replaced pan.started the engine and the service engine soon light appears. it flashes code 26 which means Q.D.M. quad driver module. checked vacuum hoses seem good. haynes manual tells you that its to complex to go into detail so take it to dealer.it said the same thing for the tcc solenoid which took an hour and dealer wanted 400 dollars to replace. but anyways the light comes on when idling only,it wont come on while driving i can drive an hour stop and let it idle for two or three minutes and the light will come on. any info would be greatly appreciated thankx
  • jjcajjca Posts: 4
    I just bought a 1999 Mercedes E-320. Two days after buying it, the check engine light came on. It was hauled off to the dealer, and the day after it was returned, it came back on. This time I kept the car for a couple of days and realized it would do so only in the morning, and the car would run real rough. In the afternoon, it would run fine, and the light would be off. The car coded a missfire in a cylinder the first time, so they changed that spark plug. The seconde time it coded a misfire in another cylinder, so they changed all the spark plugs. That seemed to work, because so far it hasn't come back on. And yes, out of the 14 days I've owned the car, it's been in the shop 8 days. I'm no mechanic, but hope this helps.
  • donkingdonking Posts: 2
    1999 VW Cabrio is a LEMON
    Attention VW Cabrio Buyers.....
    Bought a 1999 VW Cabrio GLS (new A-4 body), at
    108 miles CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on, took to
    dealer (they said they fixed it).... CHECK ENGINE
    LIGHT back on at 479 miles... took to dealer (they
    said they fixed it).... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT back on
    at 538 miles (dealer kept cat one week, said was
    fixed)...... back on at 918 miles.. took to dealer (kept two days), dealer said it was fixed... WHEN I PICKED UP THE CAR... DRIVING OUT OF THE DEALERS LOT.... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN.... STILL ON DEALER LOT AFTER THEY SAID IT WAS FIXED....... WHAT DO YOU THINK????? ANY ADVICE...
  • MULAWYERMULAWYER Posts: 24
    I have a 99 Camry with similar problems...light went on twice in the First 700 miles. Dealer says that 99 camry's have this problem and that he'd let me know when it was corrected on toyota's end. Three months later, I'm still waiting. I've been told most of the same things as the rest of you "gas cap", "sensitve system", etc. One question for those with this problem, what type of gas is used in your areas? We have reformulated (10% CRAP) gas which also caused a problem in my 96 Cavalier when we moved here. Just a thought.
  • alextalext Posts: 63
    Don't jump to conclusions, Don King, you'll just turn your hair even more white than it already is (just kidding).

Truth is, those incessant "check engine" lights that have existed in cars for a decade too long are about as accurate as astrology in identifying car problems. Most often, this light indicates that some oxygen sensors in your engine are detecting an incorrect level of oxygen in the fuel mix. The result, slightly lower gas mileage. As Mulawyer said, switching to a better gas type or checking your gas cap may solve the problem. I wouldn't consider the car a "lemon", though.
  • hervatoshervatos Posts: 2
    I coming into this post a bit late in the game, but I have been experiencing an intermitent check engine light for approx 2 months. Dealer says not critical. They would have to do diagnostic and wait for the problem to occur before they could determine the source. I find that the light goes off when I accelerate though. And when I turn the engine off and on again, the light disappears. No noticable change in the car's operation when the light comes on. Under the Turbo post under Accessories, it was suggested that over-oiling a K&N type filter, may result in the excess oil coating 'a part', causing faulty readings, resulting in a check engine light. I'd like to solve this prior to getting rid of the car and getting my new Suburu this fall. Any suggestions besides those already posted?
  • gggphdgggphd Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Cadillac Deville with 4.9 engine and 78,000 miles. "Service engine soon" light comes on after a brief period of interstate driving, yielding a PO39 code which is a transmission code. Turning off the engine turns off the light on restart, only to come on again in a short time. Car drives fine. Transmission shop can't find any problems. Dealer suggested it might be one or both of two transmission sensors. Any other ideas?
  • wemeadwemead Posts: 2
    I have 1 92 Pontiac Transport with the 3800 engine and 125000 miles. The check engine light comes on shortly after starting down the road and will go on and off sporadically during driving. Had my shop look at it and they say there is not code in the computer. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • hervatoshervatos Posts: 2
    Well, did some of my own work on this. I checked my Haynes manual which provides detailed instructions on how to check for codes. Actually, all you need is an analog voltmeter and you read the codes by the number of times the needle on the meter sweeps. Worked great!! The error code was stored luckily and turns out it is a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor. It is closely associated with the Idle Speed Control motor which the dealer replaced approximately 3 months ago. Funny thing is, my check engine light began illuminating intermitently only 3 days after the dealer changed the ISC motor. Needless to say, I have spoken with the service manager and have an appointment at the dealer next week. I couldn't have reached this point with all the info provided in this post. Thanks to all.
  • ratchratch Posts: 21
    From these posts, it is clear that the car makers could take a lesson from aircraft designers and get the check engine light out of the driver's face.

The system's could be alot smarter -- and graduated to store insignificant faults -- maybe flash the check engine light for a couple of seconds on start-up.

The problem is that the systems use ladder logic which means they are overly ignorant about the systems they monitor.

Oh well, guess it keeps the dealers busy!
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    If your computer didn't store a trouble code, then it's a guessing game. I'm surprised your dealer, which should have a lot of experience with this particular vehicle, didn't make an educated guess as to what caused the light to come on.

My guess? The oxygen sensor or throttle position sensor. I would suggest searching out a GOOD independent garage and have them check it out. It may even be worth your while to have them replace the O2 and TP sensors if they don't find anything. They are relatively low-cost parts and usually pretty easy to replace.

Dave
  • bigzackbigzack Posts: 1
    I just bought a '99 Subaru Legacy GT in March. It developed the dreaded Check Engine light in early June. It was reset at the dealership I bought it from, just to come back the next day. Last week, upon further inspection, the Automatic Transmission Control Module was found to be the problem. Hasnt given me any problems yet, however I was pretty steamed that my dealer tried to make me pay for a rental car while my 2 month old car was being looked at.
  • pfschimpfschim Posts: 29
    cosmic5 - I bought a 99 DC 300M and had 35 days of check engine lite BS as well. Looking at your post looks like my dealer did about the same stuff to my car as yours (reset, replace vacuum pump etc). Finally turned out to be a split hose inside the gas tank which the dealer service shop felt had happened during manufacturing. Also, the reason the light comes back on after a day or so is that the vehicle computer only does global checks that detect errors like this one every 5-8 starts, so you could easily go a day or so before the problem would be detected and reported via the check engine light again.

Mine was finally fixed 3 weeks ago and has not come back. In either case, it sure was a pain in the butt.
  • jd4him007jd4him007 Posts: 1
    service engine soon engine runs then quits and keeps making a clicking sound like a relay but i dont know what it is. thanks jd4
  • grinnengrinnen Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Nissan truck 4x4 extcab and the service engin soon light came on for the second time now (21500 mile) dealer also tells me nothing to worry about. But the thing is I want to get rid of this not so comfortable truck and buy a Toyota T 100, I have 89 Toyota 4x4 extcab
    that with 184000 miles on it is still better then the Nissan. I would have bought another Toy but the dealer are such arrogant S.O.B. I couldn't take the stress~!! Tex
  • traindrivertraindriver Posts: 328
    I just posted a long note on the Mazda Millenia S site--similar problems: gas cap, cylinder misfire???,blah blah blah. I guess I can take comfort (discomfort???) in knowing I am not alone. If I had the $$$$, I would have put this thing back on someone's lot!!!! I guess I will have to live with it though. At least it is under warranty for another year--13K miles---after that I guess it will be $$$$ all the time: this really gripes my @#$ !!!! Otherwise a great & reliable car.....
  • Hi it's Maximagirl here...I have the same problem. The 'service engine soon' light just came on yesterday...so what is that? Is it something I have to get fixed ASAP or is it some way for Nissan to get you scared to visit a dealer and have additional servicing done before you really needit?? Anyone else out there know the answer??
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    The first thing to check in a late-model car with a check engine light on is that the gas cap is tight (believe it or not). The gas cap is considered part of the emission control system (controls evaporative emissions) and there is some kind of sensor that turns on the light if it's not tight. I have been told that it has to do with how many times the gas cap "clicks" when you tighten it. Supposedly it has to click 3 times.

The check engine light will also go off if you fill up your car without turning off the engine.

If neither of these is the case, it could be a lot of things. A trip to the dealer may then be in order.

Dave
  • rondorirondori Posts: 8
    This '89 Shadow's check engine light was coming on and going off for 4 years. We would pat the dashboard and say "good car". Sometimes this seemed to help. It had 120,000 miles on it when she abandoned it for a '98 Mercury. Her father traded it as partial payment to some guys who painted his house. As far as I know, it's still puttering around somewhere.

-cr
  • thanks for the suggestions....It is hard to believe that not clicking the gas cap 3 times might be the culprit. However, I think it might be the gas I put into the car the other day since I purchased a lower octane than I normally buy. In any event, I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to book a check-up for my car.
    thx - maximagirl
  • rjbsabrjbsab Posts: 4
    Can someone tell me how to reset the check engine lite on a 97 Ford Explorer? Thanks
  • sadkiasadkia Posts: 1
    The check engine light just came on in my 1996 Kia Sephia. I've checked all fluids and belts; everything looks ok. Can anyone suggest something else to check? I know this sounds dumb, but I just can't afford repairs right now.
    Thanks!!!!!!!
  • harrycharryc Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to reset the check engine
    lite on a 91 Jeep Cherokee?
  • grinnengrinnen Posts: 2
    To sadkia check the gas cap, After 25 years of driving I found I didn't know how to put a gas cap on. I have a 98 Nissan truck the light came on in it, the dealer told me this is an E.P.A. thing, no gas fumes can leave your tank. I thought he was making this up, but it is printed on the gas cap turn till it clicks. He also tells me this light checks about 100 other things but the gas cap is the problem most often.
  • I don't know about the other cars and trucks, but my reset switch is under a removable panel by the steering column. I freaked out the first time the light went on, but it seemed to come on at very specific mileage intervals. I'm not saying that this is the case for everyone, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the light might come on to indicate a routine(read not necessary) check up. My feeling is that if your mileage hasn't suddenly dropped by 20mpg and smoke isn't pouring out the tailpipe, then if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • gusgus Posts: 254
    Service reminder is one reason for the light to come on, but some cars have a separate service light that comes on, independently of the check engine light.
  • mstan1mstan1 Posts: 9
    This weekend I filled up my 1999 Kia Sephia LS. Afterwards, I noticed the engine light come on.I
    checked the manual and it said that it has do with
    emissions or an improperly replaced gas cap. I
    checked the gas cap and the light remained on.After reading some postings here, I will try the cap again with 3 clicks! I called one Kia dealership and spoke to a service person and he told me somtimes the light comes on like that after a fill-up and the car make take 30-40 cold starts to reset the car's computer. I still made an appointment for Friday anyway,just in case this doesn't clear up. For the next several days, I plan to go out start the car,drive around the block and let it cool. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is it true about this resetting of the computer? Is this something I have to worry about while driving the car ? Other than this, I have not had any problems.
  • We purchased a 1993 Jaguar VP 6cyl,with 33000 miles.It now has 43500 and we are getting a check engine light which the computer tells us we have"fuel failure 89". being miles from anywhere in west Texas, we called a dealership who told us to take out the #2 fuse and recycle the computer then just ignore it and drive to our detination.800 miles later the yellow light comes back on.We suspect it's the fuel filter but don't know where it's located any help would be appreciated...THANX.
  • luccilucci Posts: 1
    My wifes 92 Eclipse is retaining a "44" Code. Nothing else really involved but the Coil Pack and Power Transistor Module according to the book.

Anyone else had this problem. The Car will miss after warm-up. The thing is... It won't do it at all in the winter time or when the engine is cold for the first few minutes. I have seen many coil packs fail but rarely in this way. (I know it is possible but I just was'nt familiar with imports..

Anyone had this problem.. Thanks