Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check Engine light

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    What year is the TC and is it equipped with "Handling Package"?
  • 99, sig series. I'm not susre about the "handling package" It has most of the butons.
  • 2001 Ford Taurus check eng light on with a DTC P0402.This happens about every 2.5 years and I replace the Backpressure sensor and that will take care of it. Is this normal on this year? We brought it new and now has 58,000 + miles (wife car) I have had 2 other Taurus a 1996 with over 200,000 miles and a 2003 with 170,000 miles and have never replace that part. Purchase the part at Advance Auto Parts should I get Ford parts?
  • sunny46sunny46 Posts: 6
    edited November 2011
    p0171 p0174 what causes it and what do i look 4 2002 ford f150 sorry
  • This is an EGR system fault.
  • EGR valve or EGR solenoid vacuum leak or stuck valve in the secondary air injection system.
  • po446 po1345just changed the distributor now slight miss and a pop around 55 through intake as far as i can tell 2000 chevy blazer s10 4x4
  • timing issue or crossed wires.

As you look at the engine, the cylinders are:

6 5
    4 3
    2 1

# 1 cylinder on the distributor cap is the middle one on the right side of the cap.

Firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2
  • THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON CONSTANT AND ALSO SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT. DO I NEED TO REPLACE THE VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR TO RID THIS PROBLEM ? I NEED TO PASS SMOG CHECK.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    First thing is to get the OBD-II codes read, see what is causing the CEL to come on.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,927
    A reporter is looking to hear from consumers who own a "code reader" - either an app or an appliance that allows the user to tap into his/her car's diagnostic system to understand why the Check Engine light etc is on, and perhaps shut it off. If you have used one of these apps or systems and are willing to share your story with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Monday, March 5, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
  • john1213john1213 Posts: 1
    Check engine light and gas cap. I have repeatedly had the problem. After an expensive diagnostic test I bought the recommended new gas cap. The problem continued! My discovery is that the filler spout to the gas tank is out of round and will not seal properly. To determine if yours is not round it should be checked with a dial indicator as it is not detectable by the naked eye. I have contacted American Honda and have a case #, but they need more evidence to determine if this should constitute a recall item.
  • dont know if this is right place but i need help. my malibu was down for 5 days..head gaskets replaced by GM dealer. well one hr into the drive hom check engine light came on...n started jumping...stalled out at a red light started n kept trying to stall when it would get lcose to 25 mph. called the dealer he said he wood send someone out to see it..well it was the same KID who supposedly repaired the gaskets. was told its a MAP sensor...drove it back to dealer waited 1 hr replaced the sensor n 1 hr later same thing. by this time dealer was closed. went to where i purches the car n their free diagnostic said MAP sensor...that technician unplugged n plugged it back in. ran good for 20 mins n then same thing died out...n the low eng power kight came on n the car shut it self off n the middle of the street...made it home. called the dealer left a message they cant do anything until monday...im so pissed...what happened to my car.
    2008 chevy malibu LS with 78000 miles 3.5L V6 engine...any advice
  • 2002 Suburban 5.3 L 2WD 1/2 ton 1500 LS

Smog shop said O2 sensors ok and to replace the left and right Cat's which I did but now The codes have reappeared the next day

PLEASE HELP....!
  • Car drove well this morning until I had to stop for a light. The check engine light comes on once in a while - after gas fillup, but this morning it started to blink and the car started to shake when I applied the brakes - like it wanted to stall. Once I started driving again, the light stopped blinking, but stayed on.

Any ideas? Got me to work, but it's a 20 mile drive back home.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    A loose or leaking gas cap would cause the CEL to come on, and that would fit with the fact it comes on sometimes after filling up. But, I don't think that would cause a driveability problem.
  • A blinking light is more serious than a steady one. Sounds like some kind of misfire is overheating the catalytic converter. Just keep an eye on that light and you should be okay for 20 miles. Keep your speed down and if there's a way home without hills, do that.
  • Check engine light came on 42k miles, code was bank one sensor 1 heater circuit. Replaced o2 sensor, same code. replaced o2 sensor again same code. mechanic said bad wire was the culprit and replaced a wire and fuse box. same light and same code remained. Took to dealer and they said I needed a new engine wiring harness and the cost was $1050.00 They reset the computer but the same code remains. I am not sure what to do next. :(
  • Well the first thing would be to get to a good mechanic. :P Obviously these guys don't know what they're doing.

Are you by any chance in the San Francisco area? I could send you somewhere.

Do you remember the number of the code you read? Just because the code refers to the 02 sensor that doesn't mean the 02 sensor is bad--it only means the 02 sensor is reacting to some irregularity--you could for instance have a catalytic converter problem or a wiring problem.
  • Hi,
    I have this p0732 code. just recently got the oil pan and seal replaced due to severel leak. How can I clear this code?