Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus Engine Problems

Comments

• mike_c1mike_c1 Posts: 1
    Your posting is over a year old, did you ever get an answer? I'm just learing about these websites and not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I'm having the same problem with the stalling but not quite as bad a you had.

Mike01
  • mine ended up being a couple of things....i had a belt snap shortly after and then we flushed the transmission and now everything is perfect...and it has 120,000 miles on it
  • ryan128ryan128 Posts: 1
    My 97 stratus ran ok... It seemed to be missing a little but besides that it was fine. All the fluids were kept up with... I drove it to a friends house and it went fine... I stayed for maybe 10 mins and went outside to start it up.... turned the key and nothing happened.... lights dont dim when i try to start... it doesnt crank at all... and I already replaced the starter relay.... Im about to go check the connection to the starter... anyone have any idea whats up?
  • jan125jan125 Posts: 3
    Just read the 3/2008 post from Syndeegirl re: wild acceleration. Hope you've found the problem. If not, check the ignition (right where you put the key in). Many people have had this problem when they have too much weight on the ignition.....TOO MANY KEYS, ETC., ON THE KEY RING. It sounds crazy but it's true. I heard it on Car Talk (radio) and then confirmed it by hearing it from over 10 people who'd experienced it. Do you have a lot of keys on your ring? Take them off. Use a single key on a ring all by itself.
  • cheeze74cheeze74 Posts: 30
    I have a 2000 stratus with the 4 cylinder engine. Recently the engine wouldn't start and ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. After I replaced it the engine started fine. About 3weeks now and it died again. Checked sensor as I have a slight oil leak that is getting on the sensor a little. Sensor is testing fine. Checked for spark and got it on one of the plugs I tested. Seems there is no or low fuel pressure as I pressed the valve on the fuel rail and didn't get any fuel to come out. After reading the Haynes manual it states that if the ECM isn't getting the necessary inputs, Crankshaft sensor,cam sensor etc. then the fuel pump will shut down one second after trying to start the engine. Any suggestions? Am going to try to borrow a scanner from a co-worker if possible to see if there are any codes set in the computer. Not sure what to do next. BTW the timing belt has already been replaced and is in good shape.
  • One sure fire way to know that your timing needs to be done is that the revs will go up. You can sit in idle sounding like you're going at least 10mph and feel it want to go when you are sitting at a light and the only thing holding you back is your foot on the brake. It's a thing that I learned from my Toyota....and a car's time is a rule of thumb on when to change as that Toyota went over 150,000 miles when I should have changed the timing belt at every 60,000 miles. I baught my Dodge and let go of the Toy, but I think that timing is the same issue of how to know when to change or adjust it...the high reving of the engine is a sign that the time is off. :shades:
  • ncmichncmich Posts: 3
    Check the cooling fan. It probably is not running. The 2 main causes are:
    1. Blown Fuse: There is a fuse for it in the compartment under the hood on the driver's side of the car.
    2. Bad motor on cooling fan: If the fuse is blown, the motor could be bad and will continue blowing new fuses. You may try using jumper wires to the fan from the battery for a short period of time to see if it runs. If not, the problem is identified.
  • TPS OR MAP sensor? you tell me whats wrong. Acting like its not getting gas. was the first problem. would turn over but not start. No fuel filter in line, just in the tank w/fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump. Car will start not but at about 3500 rpm it starts choking in a way will not go above 3500rpm. code reader says MAF/MAP sensor throttle position correlation at load and MAP/BARO circuit high imput. However first after we replaced fuel pump said fuel too lean. What do i need all sensors are about $170. cant take it back if its the wrong one. Already pd $200 for a fuel pump that wasn't bad............HELP
  • i recently bought a 2000 dodge stratus es from a previous owner and it drove fine on the way home. it sat at home for about a month and i tried to turn it back on and it trys but wont start. does anyone have any ideas?
  • I had a similar problem with my son's stratus and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. It is located toward the bottom of the engine between the firewall and engine. Has one bolt holding it in place.
  • actually the will start only if i spray starting fluid into the air intake, but right after i stop spraying, the car will stall. anymore ideas?
  • actually the car will start only if i spray starting fluid into the air intake, but right after i stop spraying, the car will stall. anymore ideas?
  • If that's the case then I would lean toward the fuel pump. My son's quit like about a week after I replaced the crank sensor. It didn't give any warning of it going. When I pressed on the valve in the fuel rail it had no pressure which further showed the fuel pump being bad.
  • I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus. Not sure if you knew this but there is another way of checking codes. Turn ignition on and off 2 times then to the on position. (Put key in ignition, turn to on position without bumping the engine then off, then on then off then on (quickly). Look at your odometer and it will read off codes from the computer then it will say "done" after it has ran through the codes. Hope this helps.
  • Do you know how to check for codes on your vehicle without taking it anywhere?
  • Do you know how to check for codes on your vehicle without hooking your vehicle up to a code reader?
  • cissecisse Posts: 1
    My 96 dodge stratus engine has a motor oil leak any time I turn off the engine & park.I have to put 1 bottles of oil in the engine every day.Also the all antifreeze is oil in the raditor,Please help me about this problem,thank you.
  • From an off position turn the key on three times with out hitting the starter motor and wait. Where the mileage is displayed you will see the code numbers displayed followed by the word done. Good luck :lemon:
  • trace2trace2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 stratus that will start and drive but once turned off, it will not re-start unless it sits for a couple of hours. I have changed spark plugs, air filter and new battery. runs alot better but still will not re-start. any ideas?
    My Stratus runs rough and gives the code for random, multiple misfires. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor but the problem persists. I was told to check the connection for the coil, which I did and it looks pristine at the distributor, are there any other connectors I should inspect? Any other ideas?
    edited March 2010
    additional information:

I checked the resistances on the primary and secondary contacts and the values were what the spec called for.

There is 12 volts at the harness going to the distributor.
  • davyx38davyx38 Posts: 2
    Sounds like the head gasket is going bad, does the engine sound very rough when driving? The head gasket kit cost roughly $120 and labor can exceed $1000. Mines a 2000 and is leaking small amounts of oil. This engine is very prone to various leaks. Honeslty unless you know for a fact that everything else on the car is in working condition i would get rid of it

My advice to anyone else is to use synthetic oil and engine sealant additives. Also the transmission sensor is known to go bad on this car.
  • automan62automan62 Posts: 2
    Yes you put key in the ignition turn key to on (when Dash lights come on ) then back one notch to off then on ,off and on and stop there and code should show on dash where Odometer is (like P0305 )
  • unlucky5unlucky5 Posts: 1
    My stratus turns over but wont start. the odometer reads 250000 miles but we aren't sure if its the original or not. In the past year (since i got the car) we have put over $1500 worth of work into it. I know it needs a new computer and a valve cover gasket (is that right? or is valve gasket cover?), but don't know if either of those would keep it from starting. Everything turns on, the displays, lights, radio, etc. When I turn the key it just cranks and cranks... any ideas?
  • sufdudesufdude Posts: 1
    if the car is in park and i rev the motor at 3 grand it cuts out now if i put it in drive it will not cut out till its in 3ed gear is this the injector or a filter
  • crash34crash34 Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Stratus with a 2.4 DOHC that won't run after it rains outside. I have recently had to replace the fuel filter, ignition coil and fuel pressure sensor. REALLY need some help on this one....
  • Did you get this problem sorted out? I am having the same problem.
  • 4 cylinder automatic SOHC stratus has a horrible idle problem. I read something about an idle air control valve & carbon build up...& cleaning it out my car should idle normal again. I'm not sure if its more severe than that because my car idles at 500 rpm, & constantly acts like its stuck between gears....help! :mad:
  • sunny46sunny46 Posts: 6
    edited December 2011
    both fans work when it hits secondary temp the gauge is 3/4 way up before both fans kick on arnt they supposed to come on primary then secondary3.0
  • i have a 1999 dodge stratus 2.5 v6, and it has over 200k mi on it. i spun a bearing the other day so i am getting a new engine. my questin is, how does the engine come out? through the top? or the bottom?