Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why NOT to buy a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS

Comments

• cooljwcooljw Posts: 47
    Hi rubyred83: Given where you live, I'm curious if you have experienced the notorious paint chipping problem on the sides of the car in front of the rear wheel wells?
  • 20vcq20vcq Posts: 82
    Not a valid assumption here friend. New - 225 70 15 BFG Slalom snow tires WITH studs. If that isn't connected t the road ...? Turning off the stability control is a very necessary action in mountainous situations when tied to this grandmothers type slip stop via brake system. Please don't test your theory on the open road when other cars are around. Not trying to be argumentative here - please read all the previous posts both on this thread and awd discussions for more detail of findings. :)
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    I really can't agree with your opinions on Outlander 4WD/ ASC setup. We have had snow storms every other week here in Chicago area this season, and every single time I have to drive to work early, where plows are nowhere to be seen yet. Every time 4WD lock worked perfectly, and I only saw ASC kicking in maybe twice, when I switched it to 2WD just to try it. I'm constantly driving at 40-50 mph with no sensations you are describing. This system combo is much better and safer than the real 4WD system (with 4 hi and low ranges) I had in my old SUV, with ABS only. I just feel more confident and that's what counts. You of course have the right to your opinion. Just don't try to convince everybody, it is the only right one.
  • Studs are no guarantee for good contact with the road -they stick best to soft ice and packed snow, in all other conditions they actually compromise road contact. Even on black ice they will slide if the ice depth isn't sufficient to allow deep penetration. Some of the worst-performing winter tires I have used were studded (Glacier Grip- a Cooper Weathermaster Clone). They were good for straight line acceleration in the conditions I described but totally sucked in any fast cornering situation.
  • Other Outlander owners have reported it around here, but not all; when my wife decided she wanted one I insisted on putting extra flaps on over the molded factory ones. I extended the front an extra 3'' and an inch out to the side so that the flaps look like the ones on the Endeavor. I have no chipping, so far.
  • 20vcq20vcq Posts: 82
    Opinions are great as is yours. Please read my earlier comments to see from where my comments derive. On the highway it is nice - "kinda like the hand of God straightening out the track" - very nice provided you are not being tail gaited. But my main comment was directed at those roads that are like you have been driving in Chicago but now take that same daily trip on a switch back road up a slope or hill with hard compact snow and ice and the intervention of the ASC is a deterent whether we are talking about Outlander or any other vehicle with this amazing technology. I went to great lengths to find the limits of this combination of systems. I perhaps have failed to make myself clear enough for you. Sorry.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    The reality is that in 99+% of real world conditions the ASC performs perfectly.

Your *rare* example is of a person trying to hustle the vehicle through a series of very tight switchbacks in the snow with another speedy vehicle right behind you. In that situation the solution is to switch ASC off and use 4WD lock. Doing that will eliminate the ASC from slowing the vehicle down to prevent loss of control and allow you to slide the vehicle using the throttle.

Your original assessment that the Outlander has a "grandma's" AWD system was because at that time you didn't completely understand how the system works.
    Yes I've read your comments, and still disagree. The only thing slowing me down is snow not ASC. ASC is only engaging when you back end is sliding the other direction than your front, and that's what it should do. Now, take any car (ASC or not) and turn right at intersection with corner not plowed clear yet, and show me how the car won't slow down. And that's exactly what twisty rod with packed snow is, turn after turn. And how other said, if yours ASC is on way to often, you are driving way to fast. Relax, winter is almost over.
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    Lets get over the AWD shall we? It is fine.. The real reasons that Mitsu need to worry about, if they care to read this thread to begin with are as follows:

1. Poor ergonomics: No excuse for lack of telescopic steering wheel (get rid of anything else if in the way). I am 5 10 and its ridiculous I cant find a good seating position without stretching my hands all the way.
    2. Hard seats with no bolstering. I dont know about LS since I have XLS and leather seats are irritating with no cushion and no lumber/thoracic support/contours.
    3. Excessive noise: Its too damn noisy (guess they cant afford to tack on extra weight for noise reduction or they simply dont care)
    4. Cheap dash and door inserts. Plastic that looks terrible and no effort on the inside of doors. Just a sea of plastic everywhere.
    5. Steering wheel hard to turn (dont cut corners in areas where customers can feel the difference)
    6. Suspension too stiff. Understand that this is suv but no excuse in letting us feel every irregularity in the road.

Everything else about the vehicle is just fine and dandy!

On a bright note, there are no rattles in my outlander. Thank god for that. BTW, I have 33000 km on odo and owned it for more than a year now.
    The vehicle must all good, when you try to copy our wish list from "What do you like to see on next Outlander” tread on this forum. Any of those points above are hardly enough for "Why NOT to buy a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander” topic. To be honest, you should compare it to other cars in its class, and not to Audi, Lexus or BMW .
    Do you think they can add telescopic steering wheel, soft leather, extra insulation, soft plastics and real wood insert, back up camera, etc, on top of a long list of standard equipment, and still charge low 20K for it. Would you pay 35-40K for it?
    IMO seats, steering, performance and suspension are fine, more like European sedan, than floaty Camry or Buick style. I know, it is not for everybody, there are other choices out there. For me dash design is better than RAV4, equal to CRV or Santa FE, door panels could be more attractive, and they are for 2008. In the end it is all personal.
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    For the record, my XLS costed me 36 grand CAD out the door with 7k in finance charges on top of it if I dont pay quickly. Besides, I would be glad to trade in the paddle shifter, blue tooth, roof rack and any other useless item for more quality. I guess that would be a bad thing for marketing wouldnt it?
  • busta4busta4 Posts: 35
    IMO, in the final analysis after 11,000 miles and a little over 15 months of ownership it is a poorly designed car that I regret buying brand new. My Interior is FULL of annoying noise. My staring wheel even has a funny click to it when I turn it side to side. The wind around the side windows is way to much I have to push it down a little to muffle the noise. My dashboard and windshield are poorly aligned and have have started to make creaking noises over every single bump in the road. The stereo is a huge letdown, sounds horrible with the volume up. The 2008 Outlander brochure states "stiff inner door panels and precisely designed speaker housing to accentuate the system's sound quality" this is clearly not the case for the 2007 Rockford Fosgate system. It sucks. The whole interior is one giant rattle box and it shouldn't be. I have ranted before on this forum about the quality of the plastic used, so I will give the short version, it sucks.
    My advice is if you want the Outlander, is to buy it used so some of the "used" looks and sounds my brand new Oultnader displays might not bother you as much. and someone else can pay the depreciation.
  • chelentanochelentano Posts: 634
    >> For the record, my XLS costed me 36 grand CAD out the door with 7k in finance charges on top of it if I dont pay quickly.

Are you saying finance charges are not applicable to other cars, why mention them? ...28 grand in US, 36 grand in Canada or 48K in Russia, so what? It is still the best value on the market. The noise level and interior is adequate to the price, but equipment and features exceed the price by far. The Outlander is equipped as well as Lexus 350.

>> Besides, I would be glad to trade in the paddle shifter, blue tooth, roof rack and any other useless item for more quality.

The paddle shifters are free bonus and the Bluetooth is a must feature for me. I love the Fast Key, premium stereo, Nav, handling, styling, seat comfort, warranty, 4WD, transmission. I am really happy with beige interior in white leather. And then talking of quality, according to Consumer reports, the Outlander has the best reliability in its class, unlike the least reliable in its class Mercedes M class, LR3 and BMW X5.
    IMO, in the final analysis after 12,000 miles and a little over 13 months of ownership it is a well designed car that I am glad that I bought brand new. My interior is quiet and has no squeeks. The stereo is fantastic, sounds great with the volume up, especially with a CD, Sirius, and absolutely thumps on things like James Bond DVDs. It rocks. The whole interior is tight and has modern/technical styling that suits my eye perfectly, so I will give the short version, it is great.
    My advice is if you want the Outlander, buy it new or used, it's a great vehicle.
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 581
    1yr 4mos, with 12K miles on the odo, this vehicles is almost still new. I take care of my Outlander, and after washes, I can still smile because it still looks like I've just driven off the dealership. And that's with black paint. after 2 winters, i've manage to keep the car chip free, and no major scratches so far. The interior seems to be holding pretty good in my case, no rattles so far. Had the clunking steering when I bought it, but since been fixed after I mailed MMNA about it, so was the mirror noise. Other than that, I still feel the thrill of driving it everytime, how it hums on bridges and how quickly I pass RAV4s and CR-Vs on the freeways, and yes I try to do that when I can, just for the other driver to look it's an Outlander that overtook them, thanks to the paddle shifters which definitely allows me to demand power from the V6 MIVEC engine when I want to at a split second without reaching for the stick shift (which is not a good idea at 75-80 mph). The navigation software (and the maps also) could use an update, but I'm holding off paying for it until I see a good enough version that's worth the money. I have no regrets with my 4WD XLS, and I would still very much recommend it for those in the market for a sporty SUV. Reliability has been outstanding so far, but I already expected that from a Japan built Mitsubishi, having owned a Lancer before. So, it's been a worthy investment in my case. I feel confident and safe everytime I drive with my family on board. Ample power for towing when the need arises. It's money well spent in my case.
    You must be frustrated with your job or something. Don't blame your car for all your problems. Most of us are satisfied. Mine is quiet, no rattles at all, panel are tight and even, dashboard looks good. Are you sure you own the same car as rest of us? Highlander, Outlander, Uplander....
    I paid 22.5K USD for brand new XLS 4wd, with protection and appearance packages.
    Blue tooth, roof rack, selectable 4WD, tinted windows, sliding & reclining 2nd row seats, drop down tail gate, Fast Key, ASC with traction control, V6 engine and 6 speed auto transmission, were important to me.
    I'm not crazy about fabric seats (lint catchers) and useless 3rd row seats. I would like to see more accessories available, and maybe diesel engine option in the future.
  • busta4busta4 Posts: 35
    :confuse: I run a non-profit that specializes in bringing aid and comfort to people who are in need and I can't think of a better way to spend my days, thank you for asking.

My frustration is the Twenty seven thousand dollar car I purchased has to many minor problems that add up to one big disappointment.

If i wanted a car that is clunky, and noisy, and scratches easy, and has throttle lag(dangerous) and a stereo system that can't keep an FM signal or rattles the whole car with the volume over 20, or a windshield that literally sounds like it's not lined up properly, I would of stuck with the used cars I have bought in the past.

I can't figure out why people put up with with the car problems discussed all over this forum with every make and model after spending thousands on these vehicles. where is the accountability in the craftsmanship and promises made by the manufacturing?

You can't t tell me The folks at Mitsubishi could not hear the wind noise in the cabin of this car during the design phase. Or the rattles the stereo makes inside the doors.

They could and did. and rather than spend the money to work out the problems they banked on an apathetic consumer. And it looks like that is what they got.

Piast, I am taking about my experience with my Outlander on this forum not about one of your family members so try not to make this personal, but if you are still interested in my frustrations, or problems or my job I will be glad discuss it with you further in a private email.
    Have you ever heard of bean counters bringing down to earth many great engineering ideas? Smaller manufactures just can't afford to put all the luxury features on a car , sell it to you at a low price and guarantee it for 5 and 10 years, can they? How is it possible that you see this car so much different than most of us? It is personal, because it sound like all of us happy owners are just idiots, who spend 20-30K on a brand new car, and still not see how crappy it is. Well, we don't.
    Okay, admit, you just need a hug.
    Hey busta4, what part of the country are you located? I'd like to compare Outies to see and hear your problems, because mine doesn't have what you're describing.