Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have the same problem does anyone know whats wrong? this may happen to us at the wrong place at the wrong time.. approx how much were you driving when you cross those puddles?
  • jpmvmijpmvmi Posts: 1
    You are not alone. I have a 2001 Santa Fe. The dash lights and entire tail light group operate off of the same bus. The bus is located on the back side of your fuse panel above your left knee when you are sitting in the drivers seat. I have replaced this bus 3 times only to have the same issue return. The old busses that I have removed have blueing on the buss prongs. Your problem will increase in occurrences if you turn the heat on in the winter and direct your heat to the floor boards. If you get any responses please share with me!

I have tried to locate a buss that has an increased rating but without any luck!
  • my sante fe is a 2008 and I have a similar but more longer standing problem. Just three months after buy ing the vehicle the check engine light went on and then shortly after that the esc off light came on and would not go out. In addition once the latter had occurred I hd no brake lights and no cruise control set. The dealership replaced a relay switich but this happenend again and again the swtich had to be replaced. Over the last 13 months this occured 6 more times and becuase the vehicle is illegal to srive and damgerous in this condition I asked for a different vehicle. The dealer has told me that Hyundai will not do anything and he has offered me a new 2010 Sante Fe for an additional $16,000 dollars. Needless to say I am not thrilled and am contemplating legal action. Any help out there?
  • I have a 2005 Santa Fe and a few months ago the ABS & AWD lights came on. My mechanic could not find anything on the computer. Last week it wouldn't start without a jump, but the others lights no longer come on. I heard that humming too. Think it's time to trade. But then, what car doesn't come clogged with computers and electrical systems? Any ideas for a more reliable vehicle? It's not like I can afford to keep buying cars...
  • I went to a different mechanic (not via the dealer) and they found a ground problem with the fuel pump....stated it would probably cost 1500 for a new computer brain in the vehicle....instead we put a toggle switch inside the vehicle and the fuel pump on that toggle switch....cost me less than 100 bucks...and the vehicle seems to work now. not sure if this helps or not
  • I have a 2005 Sante Fe as well and I am having the same issues, car won;t start, took it a Hyunda Dealer and they said they couldn't find anything as well. They want me to leave the truck with them to see if they can duplicate the problem. I replaced the alterntor twice thinking that was the problem, does anyone know what the problem could be Thanks
  • like i said earlier...my problem was found to be an issue with the ground, fuel pump. as the mechanic stated....the brain wasn't alway telling the fuel pump to shut off (never had a flooding problem)...so the fuel pump would drain the car battery over time. they fixed the problem by putting the fuel pump on its own circuit with its own on/off switch. works like a charm now
  • valsdadvalsdad Posts: 1
    Head lights will not dim. They stay on bright. Took it to a mechanic and he said it's probably the multi-function switch. Turn signals and head lights are all on the same switch. It's a 2003 Santa Fe. Has anyone had this problem and what did it take to fix it?
    Thanks for any help
  • bkertzbkertz Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Santa Fe with the dash light issue (please be aware that your tail lights are also affected). I've had this problem on and off for years. I took it in to the dealer back when it was still under warranty and they couldn't reproduce it. I've also taken it to other shops and no one has been able to isolate the problem. I will say that the problem seems random. Sometimes the lights come on and stay on. Sometimes the lights flicker on and off. Sometimes they stay off. After a little of my own investigation and problem solving, I might have isolated the problem. I know that when the problem occurs, adjusting the tilt steering wheel at the "right" level will cause the lights to come back on. I also noticed that when the weather is very cold, it happens more often. This would leave me to believe that perhaps the wiring harness is a bit too short and gets pulled on causing a loose connection. The cold weather may be causing the wires to shrink a bit suggesting the short wiring harness theory may be correct. I am by no means a mechanic, but I am very frustrated with the issue. This is what I have determined with my own experiences. Hopefully this will lead someone with the mechanical/electrical know-how to truly resolve this problem. Any thoughts?
  • losdog30losdog30 Posts: 1
    I've replaced the fuse and it keeps blowing. Not sure what would cause this any ideas? :(
  • wes1761wes1761 Posts: 1
    Its my wifes car, for the last 3 days the fan blower in the Santa Fe will not shut off. Even if you hit the Off button. I just removed the whole control panel from the dash, the connections look good, I also pulled the "brain box" off the mounting and everything inside on the front panel looks fine. After I pulled the control panel out, I turned on the power , the blower was still running, even with no AC/heater panel in the car.......Any ideas? THanks!!

Respectfully,

Wes
  • I own a 2001 Sante Fe which I bought in Aug. of 2001. Have 110,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, mine has had issues, including 2 failed alternators. Definitely sounds like your alternator; symptoms are much like mine when each of my alternators was on its way out. Hopefully,will turn out to be an old battery, instead.
  • coachtimcoachtim Posts: 1
    Same thing just started happending to my 2004 Santa Fe...fan keeps blowing even when Air/Heat is turned off. There must be a short in the blower or something...The Air still seems to work, but I'm concerned the fan will burn out if left to run on high for too long.

Let me know if you found the problem...I plan to take it in tomorrow to my mechanic.
  • rmattssonrmattsson Posts: 1
    battery light and brake light came on while driving. Gauges cut out when brake applied. car seems like it will stall. Need to boost to restart. very rough idle and bucking when braking to stop. gauges and signal lights cut out.
  • chiamakachiamaka Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    My 2004 santa fe has been stalling after driving a while and you have to wait for some minutes again to cool before it can restart. I took it to workshop, they changed the fuel pump, cam shaft sensor and the problem was solved for some days. Now it has started again...what can be responsible for this problem....i think they changed the crank shaft sensor too....but the problem came up again few days ago after just one month......what could be responsible.
  • balesbales Posts: 1
    I have at least two bulbs out on my 2003 Santa Fe center console - one is for the heated seats. How do I get access so I can replace the bulbs?
  • patskypatsky Posts: 1
    I too am having this issue. my 04 santa fe only needs a few moments to start again, however the main issue is the same, mostly when traveling on the freeway.
  • My 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe starts with out a problem but it shots down after a few seconds. What could it be?
  • I have a 2001 Santa Fe and have the exact same issue. I just love how no one can ever duplicate the error. I am taking my car to a local garage who has a former mechanic from a Hyundai dealer. I will let you know what he says.
  • brackbill,

I'd love to hear what happens with your lights. I recently took it to a shop and they thought it was the light switch. They replaced it and still had the problem. Luckily they put the old one back on and didn't charge me a thing. I've read on other forums that the dealer will replace the BCM (body control module), and it doesn't always fix the problem. That runs over $1000, so I'm not willing to take that kind of an investment on something that may not work. I've also read somewhere that someone had the problem fixed by cleaning the grounding straps. I tried talking a shop into doing this for me, but they wanted nothing to do with the problem outside of replacing the switch. I'm going to try and find another shop to go to and see what they say. I'll keep posting any new info I get on here.

Hopefully we can get this straightened out together.
  • I am having the same problem with santa fe. kills and won't restart for a few minutes. I am having the same problem. the Crankshaft sensor has been fixed. What did you find as the problem. My email is klemphouse@yahoo.com

HELP
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Please do not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thank you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I CHANGED the crankshaft, with one round white plate round where you installed the sensor, that did not solve it then i was asked to buy the coils after that i dont know what the mechanic did to make it work but for sure its working perfectly now.
  • I'm having this problem as well. tried to have it looked at, they can't reproduce it. I started having electrical "problems" 6 or so months ago when an "air bag" warning light suddenly appeared on my dash. nothing but trouble since. dealer wanted to replace the entire air bag for $2000! said I had been in an accident (I hadn't) and it had deployed. (No way). had my mechanic look at it. now I have a problem with my lights not shutting off automatically (jump starts x3 needed), the above dash lights, locked tail gate, you name it. starting to think the brain is giving out. have a 2003 with 98,000 miles on it. love the truck, but hate all these new problems. any suggestions??? I can't get the dash lights back on unless I manually turn the headlights off and back on again, which can be a bit dangerous.
  • klemphouseklemphouse Posts: 5
    edited September 2010
    :mad: Please explain. I have replaced a battery and now the system chokes off and will not start afterwards. HELP! thank you for any help you can be!
  • How do I go about printing an entire response to questions posted?

Platinumson responded to the questions I asked, but I can not view or print the complete response.

I now know not to include my email address, thank you for your guidance.
    Which message (number) are you having trouble viewing?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • #24 of 64 Re: 2003 santa fe electrical problems [carebear13] by plantinumson

I can not see the balance of the discussion it ends abruptly
    That is where the discussion ends - sorry! :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Dealer is saying computer relay. I will pick it up later today!