Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    The absolute zero is -273f.

Actually, absolute zero is about -459.7° Fahrenheit which is about -273° Celsius.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    My bad. Been away from chemistry for way too long...
    Anyway, in that case, the % is more like 10% instead of 20%. That means a drop from 40f down to -6f will only cause 3psi difference.... If I am correct this time. ;)
    A good rule of thumb is that the pressure changes by about 1 psi for every 10° F change in temperature.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • vermontervermonter Posts: 10
    Thanks for the calculations, very interesting. We are vigilent about monitoring our tire pressure and rely on a handheld digital gauge. Do you think the impact of the sun on the sidewalls, when parked, could increase the temp enough to account for the TPMS light turning on and off?

I'll reiterate that this only seems to happen when we have extreme temp fluctuations and is not an every day occurence. The dealer as well as a local garage said that TPMS often give false alarms in the colder winter climates.
    Sunlight will certainly heat up the tires though the heat transfer would likely be more via the metal wheels/rims as opposed to the sidewalls.

I can't say whether that is sufficient to trip the TPMS but those systems are supposed to be designed to deal properly with changes in ambient temperature. It could be that the threshold for triggering the lights is overly sensitive or the TPMS itself is defective. It would be interesting to know whether others have experienced this problem in other geographic locations.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have had my 2008 CX9 for about a year now, and have had two accidents, serious ones both requiring claims to the insurance company. I really think that this car has serious issues in winter conditions. Both accidents were sliding on ice and not being able to control the car.

The first back in February, I was pulling from a stop sign turning right onto a icey road, the backend swung all the way to the left and the wheels locked, I slid 30ft into a parked car. No, I wasn't going too fast but at the time I thought that I musta messed up some how and the feelings of danger I feel when driving the car,is the result of going from a Chrysler 300 to a crossover.

This winter, I have always felt that the car slips and slides a lot. Its random based on uncleared snow on the roads, icey conditions etc.

This morning I was driving over a bridge going 80km per hour, roads had a little snow on them but nothing in the wheel tracks, all of the sudden out of the blue it felt like I had no traction, there wasn't major slippage but the car felt very unstable. Luckily I kept the steering wheel perfectly straight and the road was smooth so I slowed down, pulled into the inside lane to feel more stable. Every other car around was driving the same speed, it was only me having problems.

So tonight, I was leaving the office traveling at about 30km, on a road that was packed uncleared snow/ice and bumpy with a slight decline, first the back end swung slightly to the left (20 degree) and after about 20ft I corrected it by not panicking and not hitting the brake, then, the car hit another bump and swung violently to the right (90 degrees), i was sliding down the street praying not to hit parked trucks, after about 40ft I was able to correct the 9 and get it straight only to run head on into a cement marker pylon. there was nothing I could do.

I truly believe that the stock 20in tires with the shape, weight and center of gravity of this truck is a problem on icey roads. I wish i could return the car but that is unreasonable. I am 48 years old and have driven from 30years with no accidents but after driving this car in the snow and ice I have had 2 in less than a year.

I guess i will have to get it fixed, as I am in Canada I am unsure of "The Tire Rack" in this subject. Does anyone have any idea of what or where to buy 18in tires etc in Calgary or somewhere cloe at least?

thanks for listening, lucky to be alive but totally unhappy with the winter performance of the vehicle.

Paul
    That sounds scary! You're probably right that better tires will remedy the situation. You didn't mention it but I wonder whether you experienced any particularly windy weather on those slip sliding days.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Not really, actually no. Just very cold days...
    That rules out the long shot thought that I had. A high profile vehicle would be more susceptible to being pushed around by the wind on slick ice. Back to the tire theory! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • WOW! Sorry about your experience...Paul if only you lived closer I would trade you my 18" Touring chrome wheels for your 20" wheels. I live in So California, so I would never experience the troubles you are going through.
  • juanijuani Posts: 1
    I got a 2007 CX-9... same city..same problem. I bought it last summer, so I loved it unitl now.
    Last snow storm I couldn't even go up the hill to park my car in my garage. The worst was that I had to go all the way down and when I reached the street (flat) I got stuck in the snow. It wasn't a big pile, just crappy tires. Also I don't know if the AWD is working properly, because I can see that snow was only accumulated in the front driver tire and not the others. Anybody knows if this is normal? The transfer case was replaced a month ago and I don't know if I should take it back to the dealearship
    Going back to the tires, I just got bought mine 20inch from Integra Tires and they have to ship them from Ontario. I called several places last weekend and they were the only ones that have them. All the others were sold out, without any shipment coming anytime soon. I think that you have to use Tirerack.com, anyways seems to be the best deal around (less than $1000 for hte Blizzak DM shipped to Calgary)

Good luck!
  • Anyone notice that the actual 20" rims that are being sold with this years model is not the same as the rims that are shown on numerous photos of the 2010 model all over the web? Can anyone explain the discrepancy? I actually like the rims show in all the marketing photos online better than the ones that are actually coming with the car...">
    This is so well-known.
    The OE Bridgestone is one of the worst all-season tires.
    The same one can be found on Highlander.
    Get Yokohama Parada Spec-X.
    You will love it. :)
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,391
    I just purchased a CX-9 Grand Touring a week ago and was able to get around just fine here in Denver with a recent snowstorm. I'd imagine this is due to the tires being new - my understanding is once the stock Bridgestone's start wearing, they are indeed terrible in the snow.

So not wanting to wait until that happens, I already purchased a set of 18" wheels and winter tires to use for the winter months.

Other SUVs may come stock with tires more effective in snow, but any vehicle will benefit from snow tires in winter conditions.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    18"???????????...don't you have to maintain the 20" size in order not to screw up the speedometer?...maybe I am misinformed....please enlighten me..thanks
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    SVOFAN2 . No.

Just get alternate tires that have equivalent diameter so the odometer is accurate. For my 20" tires, the equivalent in 18" tires that I got for Blizzaks was 235/65 R18.

Lots of websites online that will show you alternate sizes that keep the same diameter to assure the odometer and speedomerters are correct.

And if you have the NAV, there is a Tire change calibration that will automatically adjust the slight difference in tire diameter.
  • Agreed on the B'stone H/L400, low tread wear, poor handling and noisy. But... the Yokohama Parada is on national back-order, quoted 12 weeks+. Yokohama's website doesn't list the Spec-X in the 245/50-20 size anymore so I wonder if they've been discontinued? Not a lot of other choices; Michelin Latitude (H rated), Goodyear Wrangler and Eagle RS-A (poor reviews & previous experience), Pirelli Scorpion STR (have 'em on our Navigator, they suck!) or Toyo. Leaning toward the Michelin. Any words of wisdom?
  • Can anyone confirm that Mazda RX8 OE 18" wheels would fit on a 2008 cx9? All the specs that I can find on the net are the same - 5x114.3 lug pattern, 12mmx1.5 lug nuts, 67.1 hub diameter, 18", the only spec I can't confirm is that the RX8 wheels are also 7.5" wide. I thinking about buying a used set, and use them 3 months out of the year for snow tires. Anyone know?
  • Hello, did you get the RX8 18" wheels and put thme on your cx9? I'm considering the same thing right now, for snow tires. The nice thing is that you can get a nice set of used rx8 wheels with TPMS for a nice price. I just want to confirm they fit properly and have appropriate weight capacity. Please let me know. thanks, Jim
  • dbrodbro Posts: 1
    I need new tires for the CX9 grand Tour. Any recommendation on which ones are good. The dealer is telling me to replace it with GoodYear Eagle RS-A.
    I have a 2007 CX9 Grand Tour
    Look at this page.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=245%2F&r- - - - atio=50&diameter=20&x=11&y=9

Pay attention to prices vs scores (red numbers).
    You will see why many are recommending Yoko Parada Spec-X (score=8.4)
    I just had it installed a few days ago. Much better tires than OE lousy tires (and for $200?! Bridgestone must be smoking something funny... score is 4.8!!!)

RS-A (H-rated) is at least cheaper with score of 5.5. That is at least a good trade-off from Yoko Spec-X. If you take your CX9 to snowy areas, I would highly recommend the Yoko Spec-X (see reviews from users with millions of miles on them). If you only drive it on dry and wet, RS-A may be good enough for you. Again, it depends on where you drive it.
  • msuvetmsuvet Posts: 54
    I would like to get the Yokohama Paradas for my 2008 CX-9 grand touring, but the 245/50-20 are out of stock for months.

I read on another forum that the 255/50-20 size would be an acceptable alternative.

They are 1.3 % larger (?) in diameter, according to an online tire calculator.

Does this all sound right, before I have them ordered?

Thanks!
  • You should be fine with this alternative. The reason the tire is 1.3% larger in diameter is because it is also 10mm wider (255 instead of 245). Therefore, instead of being 122.50mm high from rim bead to tread (hence (50)% of 245), the alternative will yield 127.50mm height (50% of 255). The only thing it affects is your speedometer which will be reading 1.3% slower. i.e. Your speedo will read 60mph when you are really traveling 59.22mph...not a very big change.

Hope this helps!
    I second the opinion.
    However, some tire places will refuse to install non-factory size of tires for you.
    I bought from tirerack.com and have them ship to a local "authorized installer" (listed on tirerack.com). The local shop usually does not care.

Do yourself a big favor. Get rid of that lousy tires ASAP and send Mazda a complaint email about it. I did.
  • 25,000 miles and the 20" tires on my 2008 cx9 gt are pretty much shot. Not looking forward to the cost of replacements.
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    We have about 20k miles on our tires, and when I do the quarter-in-the-tread test, it comes to the top of Washington's head, which means there is 4/32" of usable tread. This might explain why we're slipping a little more in the snow than last year, every website I read says that you need 6/32" of tread for adequate snow driving (which would be the top of Lincoln's memorial on the penny test, and we're nowhere close). So 25k miles is probably as long as we'll have ours, just like you.

The OE tires do suck, wore out rather quickly, and they got loud quickly. In fact, I'm beginning to believe that most performance all-seasons just suck. I have a Mazdaspeed 3, and the all-season tires I bought a year ago are basically at 3/32", and that's only 16k miles. I can barely get out of my snowy driveway, never mind trying to get up steep hills, or trying to brake down those hills. So I threw in the towel and bought a winter tire package, and I'm going with dedicated summer tires in warmer months. I wonder if I should do the same with the CX-9...
  • Someone on another Mazda thread commented that the AWD CX9 has more problems than the FWD version. Anybody else heard that?
  • Hi, I am looking to factory order a new CX9 GT and live in a snowy part of PA. Does anyone have experience with having the dealer switch out the new tires on a vehicle before delivery to something that may work better in the snow? I would like to have the Yohohama tires on the car when it is delivered to me. Is it asking too much to expect the dealer to absorb the cost of the tire switch? I would think it shouldn't cost them much since they would get to keep the OE tires.
  • felixa7felixa7 Posts: 15
    I have a CX-9 with 20" wheels. It's a fun car to drive. But it's wider than I originally thought and I'm having some trouble turning. The rear of the car seems to pull away from the direction of the turn even when I do a soft turn at 35 or 40 mph. Is this just an issue of me getting used to the car? I've been driving an '01 Pathfinder for a long time; know how to drive an SUV. Is the problem the tires? If so, will the Yoko do the trick? They seem to be extremely popular on this forum.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Posts: 92
    i have 20" wheels and have no such problem. i would get that checked out.