Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Transmission Problems

moronixmoronix Posts: 29
edited December 2013 in Ford
I have a '07 Mustang GT/CS with manual 5-speed. It feels very stiff to me but I have nothing to compare it to. Is there an adjustment or something that can be done to change this ?

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Keep in mine, you are shifting what is basically a truck trans. There is 320+ lbft of torque going through the trans.

One thing you can do for not a lot of money is install a Hurst competition shifter or a Ford Racing Shifter. The Hurst shifter goes for under $200 online and is a 45 to 90 min install.

Mark.
  • moronixmoronix Posts: 29
    Hello Mark,
    Thanks for the reply. I know nothing about cars so your advice is appreciated. I know the engine is capable of 320 ft/lbs of torque but with the clutch depressed does that really come into play? I had another friend suggest the same thing. I'm afraid I don't know how to install a Hurst shifter myself so I would also have to pay someone to do it. Will it really make the shifting easier/smoother?
    Thanks again for the help.
    This makes the strokes much much shorter. If you google it, there is lots of info on the web. Even if you took it to a Shifter to a mechanic to install, its a pretty quick job.

The manual trans components are big and beefy to handly both the stock torque and any additional from reasonable mods people might make.

Thease big beefy parts have more mass and just plain old take more effort to move. You can't compare this to a shifter in a Honda Civic etc.

Mark.
    Hello Mark,
    Thanks again for the info. The last time I drove a stick shift was in 1967. It was a 1962 VW Beetle. :) If changing to a Hurst only shortens the stroke then I'm not sure I want to change it. Although I do like the looks of the Hurst shifter/knob better than the original.
  • For me is not hard to shift it just feels really clunky. Like i can feel the gears in the way. Is that normal? It is the V8 manual 5 speed.
    Hard to shift is a relative term. It's hard compared to other cars I have owned but that does not mean that a girl can't do it. In my opinion it's like you say. It feels clunky like the gears don't mesh very well or it needs more oil or something like that. It does not slide into the slots without feeling like it's bumping into something along the way. I'm 66 years old and I don't race my car but If I tried to race then this transmission would have to go first. I wonder if the 6 speed manual in the Shelby Cobra is just as clunky??
    Looks good but burns your hand in the summer and freezes it in the winter.

Mark
  • genez4sigenez4si Posts: 3
    The shifting difficulties you describe are most likely the shifter, not the transmission. I have a Roush 427R which uses the stock GT 5-speed tranny. With the short throw shifter, it shifts quickly, easily, and without any grinding of the gears. Have a better shifter installed, you will love the difference.

Gene
  • trainmstrtrainmstr Posts: 3
    Have 99 V6 with auto, 140K, recently started to slip out of gear while driving. Now it's slipping into neutral, after backing out of driveway, when put into drive and accelerate, goes one foot and slips into neutral. No problem in second, first, or reverse. Fluid level is correct when warm. If start in first or second and shift to drive OK until you stop. Do I have a problem or need some type of adjustment. Help, it's my daughter's car, enough said!!!
  • I am having a very hard time finding anyone but "Ford" that carries clutch parts. I need a "clutch release lever stud" Where can I get one? Salvage yards do not want to drop a trany just for the stud
  • Looking for any info that tells if or if not why the 2007 mustang GT 5M cannot be flat towed behind a RV. The manual I am told is written for both the manual and auto and says tow at not more than 35 for more than 50 miles. It should have a T3650 Trans and this car does have a limited slip differential
  • Hello, my name is Blitzberg22 and I am new to this website. I was looking around for new or slightly new mustangs and was hoping that I could find one with manual transmission. If there is no mustangs that have manuael transmissions then please let me know what cars would be good to buy with manual transmission and some really good horsepower. Right now I am leasing a honda accord coupe '05 with $235 a month payments on it.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,690
    There should be plenty of manual mustangs - they offered the manual in both v6 and v8 models.
  • i have a 2007 v6 mustang with a manual trans. at just over 16,000 miles third gear shattered. i was pulling out into traffic and when i put it into 3rd gear i heard a loud pop and third was gone. i took it to anderson ford in cleveland tx. and ford denied the warranty claim. they said that the car had been abused.i do not race the car. if i was going to do that i would have gotten the gt instead of the v6. no one will help me get in touch with any one from ford that can help me. so now i am trying to let everyone know about how ford treats its consumers. i plan on going public and costing ford more money and dissatifaction than they have caused me. if anyone else has had transmission problems, please let me know. thank you.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,690
    What was their basis for claiming abuse? They had to have a reason.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Your best bet is talk with someone at Ford, preferably in the engineering dept. Don't know whether you'd have any luck via phone but they likely will respond to a letter.
    You need to see another dealer.

Mark.
  • tammy12tammy12 Posts: 11
    hi im tammy.. bought a 07 mustang convertible 6 cylinder 5 speed manual.. had 97 miles on it.. its been making a noise like a diesel motor since i bought it.. when i press the clutch it stops.. i brought it in to the ford and lincoln dealerships and they are telling me that it is normal gear noise.. this is my 17th car and my 9th 5 speed and i have never had noise like that.. its embarrassing.. it sure looks good though.. any one can help with this?
    I can hear the gears on my car, kind of a whining noise. Keep in mind that this is a car with a truck transmission and a truck engine. Its not going to remind you of the cars that you had.

1st and 2nd are double syncroed. The wet clutch is hevy duty. The Mustang is not a tame pony.

Mark.
    its not a whinning noise its more like a rock rolling around in the transmittion.. almost like a bubbling sound..
    I get bubbling exhaust sounds when the car is cold. almost like backfires.

Mark.
    Either see another dealer or go straight to the owner of the dealership first. I don't understand why dealers don't want to do warranty work. I'm sure Ford Motor Company pays them for it so what's the problem? I have an 07 GT with 5 speed manual and it makes no noise at all. I don't like the way it feels when shifting from 1st to 2nd but it's just the feel, nothing serious to my mind. I'm very happy with the car in spite of the fact that Mustangs seem overpriced to me.
  • how you all doing? Just bought this awesome brand new 2007 v6 4.0 mustang convertible about 3 weeks ago. I got it as a left over at a dealership here in NY. It had only 70 miles on it when I bought it. To make a long story short, I hear a rattling sound when the car is in neutral. The sound goes away when the clutch is pressed to the floor. Car seems very loud and noisy, like a deisel. I brought it into the dealership and they said it’s normal. Is it normal or is it the throw-out bearing acting up?

Also, while shifting from 1st to 2nd I hear a clinging, metal banging like sound. The dealer said it’s also normal. Is that true? It seems kind of weird that this car should be making so much noise during shifting and its brand NEW!!!. My friends Mazda doesn’t make a sound during shifting.

Is anybody else experiencing these problems?
    Thanks for your help
    ARI
  • That's funny. I have a Shelby Cobra GT500 that I got in January and have had no problems with my transmission. Maybe its a V6 thing.
  • Justpicked up an '02 GT with a 5-speed. Hate the shift linkage. Thinking of changing to a Tri-ax or a Pro-5.0. Advice and suggestions much appreciated.
    Just so you are aware, technically there is no shift linkage prior to 05. The Trans is right under the shifter lever which is why it has that goofy goose neck shape.

After 05, the trans is mounted 2 for forward for this setup and there is shaft linkage.

Mark.
    the stone mile... sounds like yours is doing the same mine is.. but they say nothings wrong with it.. id like to invite anyone that says it is supposed to sound like that to come drive my car and tell me this is normal..the dealerships hear the noise but cant find anything wrong.. i see that there is a recall listed for this model but i would think that they check that when it goes to the shop wouldnt you?
    hey sounds like yours is doing the same as mine.. so if you get an answer please let me know so i can go tell my dealership whats wrong with it.. i bought mine at 97 miles in september o7 had it shipped from texas to louisiana so i didnt test drive it before i bought it..
  • a friend of mine at lincoln took my car to let his transmittion person hear it.. he made a few adjustments on the clutch and checked all the boots.. then added some oil in the trans.. my clanking noise is gone.. so there is something that can be done.. its not supposed to sound like it did.. or i wasnt supposed to hear it inside of the car!!!
  • When you press the clutch it stops.

Sounds like a possible throw out bearing. Any clutch pedal vibration? I mean real vibration while in gear?

As for normal gear noise, unless you replaced your shifter with a tri ax, etc. and didn't install the silencer back it should not be that loud of a sound. Tell the dealer to fix it, or they can have your car until it is fixed.

Good luck.

My bad. didn't read the last page of posts. :) If it happens again make them check the throw out.