Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Transmission Problems

Comments

• welanglewelangle Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a 2002 Ford Mustang GT, which is suffering from an automatic transmission problem, and I first noticed the problem about a week ago. The vehicle accelerates normally from zero to about 10 miles per hour and from 30 on upward; however, the problem is experienced when accelerating between 10 m.p.h. and 30 m.p.h. When the 10 m.p.h mark is met, the vehicle begins to accelerate at a very slow rate, while the engine seems to rev out of control as if the gas pedal is floored.

I did a bit of online research concerning the problem, and it sounded as if my car was skipping gears. The vehicle was taken in for a diagnosis of the problem, and the following explanation was given: when putting the vehicle into gear, the transmission shifts into both reverse and forward gears. As you accelerate, it jerks hard, then the forward gear overpowers the reverse and drives relatively smoothly. It does have an intermittent jerk while driving, however. I have been told the transmission would be too costly to fix, and placing a rebuilt one in is recommended; the estimated repair: $2900.00.

I must admit I am a bit ignorant when it comes to car problems, especially when the more complex components are involved (i.e. transmission), so I am trying to be cautious as to not be ripped off. Based upon the explanation I have given, does the mechanics diagnosis sound correct? Should I get a second opinion? Does the estimated repair cost sound fair? Does the problem sound like it could be fixed cheaper rather than putting a rebuilt transmission in?

Any information that is provided would certainly be appreciated. Thank you so much, and I hope you have a tremendous day.

-welangle
  • always get second opion,tho the price may still be close.
  • Where on earth did you go to get an 'appraisal' like that? THAT is exactly what MY car does, but neither the warranty OR dealership want to admit there is a problem!!! I have had this problem from the time I bought the car in '04. They are always saying'They cannot "duplicate" the problem.'
    I am having a heck of a time getting it fixed.
  • rat10rat10 Posts: 1
    I have had a problem with the car when I take off, slow to catch,and if I slow down and then get back into the gas. I have already had 2 fuel filters and a fuel pump replaced. Have 58k miles. Have told the service dept, all long, can't or won't find anything wrong. Just had a transmission flush last week; taking off has greatly improved, if it doesn't go into neutral! Doesn't happen every time, sometimes it will change like it should. I stop and start alot -commute 75 miles a day. Happens roughly 3 out of 10 stops. Please, suggestions on what, if, anything I might could try to solve this problem, before I have to send it to the boneyard!
  • tcapp696tcapp696 Posts: 1
    Hi everyone! I got my 04’ Cobra with a 5-spd stick last year. Even with the stock motor I started having problems with the trans and clutch when I started beating on it a little. As soon as I put the supercharger on forget it, the trans was history. A friend of talked me into a built C-4, but that didn’t last either. Plus the 1st gear in the C-4 wasn’t tall enough for a heavy car with a 3.55 rear. I drive my car a lot and I really missed the overdrive.

So I did some checking around and I got some good feedback about the guys at FB Performance in NY. They seem to specialize in the Ford trannys. I wound up buying one of their 4STB-E transmossions and 9” full race L/U converter. Its based on the 4R70W, but its rated to 900+hp. I got the full manual valvebody with elec OD & L/U and a built-in trans-brake. Last fall I went mid 9’s at 148 on radials and its held up to everything I’ve thrown at it. They even reworked a stock Ford auto shifter to work just like a ¼ stick so everything looks stock. What a difference at 80mph on the hwy! I love it!
  • Read many of the problems with 5 speed replaced trans. at 1300 miles still makes chatter in fourth gear whinnies in fifth just had it towed into ford 13000 miles replaced clutch disk pressure plate failed, still sounds like poor quality junk, dealer says can't duplicate noises. we owners need to get ford to replace with trans. that will last the life of car. Contacted ford customer service no satisfaction. Wish I could unload car and get my investment back. Word of wisdom TEST DRIVE BEFORE you sign for vehicle DON'T LIKE WALK AWAY!
  • tammy12tammy12 Posts: 11
    i have brought my car in so many times.. even when i bring it for an oil change i tell them its still sounds like a clunker.. really inbarrassing.. but how do you get them to fix the problem.. its not just a cold start deal.. i agree on the test drive thing i didnt either had it shipped from another state..
  • Sorry to hear about other people having same problem bought this car as a gift, now I'm stuck with it. Don't seem to get any satisfaction from ford or dealer, don't let them embarrass you keep on them and let them know there are other people out there with the same problem. I'm calling my dealership tomorrow and share this new information that they have a reaccuring problem with v6 mustang transmissions.Keep in mind the transmission warranty is for 5 years or 60000 miles.
  • I bought a 2000 GT convertable 5 speed new in 2000, put 55,000 miles on it and then it got totaled in 2004. Replaced it with a 2002 GT convertable 5 speed, 2 years old with 14,000 miles on it, the car was even the exact same color as my first one! Now have 90,000 on that car. Daily driver, totally stock, driven moderate to occasional aggressive but not raced, for both cars. I live in the mountains of NH so the cars do get to "play" on twistie roads a lot.

Both cars have the cold upshift into second resistance/clunk/slight gear grind. Both get much better when warmed up. Both have sort of clunky feeling shifters (that feel much crisper after driving my manual shift Jeep, it is all relative) and both developed noisy throughout bearings after about 30,000 miles. The bearing still works ok, just makes a low volume high pitched whining noise when the clutch is in use. Unless the bearing quits completely, I will just wait for the clutch to wear out and replace it all at once.

The car is fun, good driver, just a pain to shift into second until the transmissions gets some heat into it. It has never been enough of a problem to do anything about it, so it is still just as it left the factory. That was true for the first trannie when that car got wrecked, also. Sounds like I got the mild version of our problem trannies, but did get the problem.
    my car drives great and i love it but it sounds like sh** im really inbarrassed to ride someone in it.. you would think that ford reads all these post and would recognize a problem
  • I just bought a used '06 V6 auto with 30,000 miles on it last week. When test driving it there were no problems. However, today when I was driving it on the expressway going about 70-75 mph I noticed a clunking noise coming from the car. After reading a lot of posts where people seemed to have similar problems I wanted to ask if anyone thinks it might be a transmission related issue? Has anyone had a similar issue, or know what might be causing this?

It seemed like if I put my foot on the gas to accelerate (even gently) the noise would stop, however if I was coasting (when I take my foot off the gas or hold a constant speed between 70 and 75mph) it would make this rattling/clunking noise.

According to the carfax for the car, the transmission was just replaced at 28k miles, so thats why I really wonder if a brand new transmission would have problems.

Also, another question I wanted to ask all you Mustang owners is, when you start the car does the engine kind of shake or rumble? Is this normal? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this; this is my first sports car/Mustang so I don't really know much yet.
  • skvp1skvp1 Posts: 3
    I just bought this car new June 2009. Three days later I notice a clunking sound when shifting at low RPM from 1st to 2nd. I drove a Honda Prelude for 13 years and never heard a cluncking sound with my manual.

First Ford told me they didn't hear it. Today they said they heard it and it is normal due to shifting at low RPM. They purposely put play in there otherwise the rear end would rear out prematurely. It's due to shifting at low RPM.

I just hopped on this site tonight and read a few posts. Is there an auto mechanic out there that can tell me if this crap? Sorry, but I haven't read a lot of posts.

I'm going back next week (I haven't even had this car for a month) and test drive another "new" one on their lot and see how it sounds.
    it sure seems like edmonds would forward all these issues to ford so they can do a recall on these cars.. my 06 v6 5 speed manual convertible is now almost 2 years old and i still have clunking at low rpms.. and ive brought it in several times. ive heard it all.. including i just dont know how to drive a 5 speed.. im 41 and almost all of my 17 cars new and used were 5 speeds.. then they said all 5 speeds sound like that but i had seepage of sound into the cab of the car so they changed a boot to keep the sound out of the car.. believe me ive had enough and that was the first and last time i buy a car without test driving.. i ordered the car from another state to get the one i want.. i should have stuck with a lincoln, tammy
    Did you have that clunking sound when it was new or did it show up later?
    from new!!
  • ive own 2 gt tang.thy both done it.i still have the 08,the 07 i was so ashame to drive it it sounded so bad.i havent got no answer from them.they did change the safty clutch switch,they even foam up the clutch rod.after a while it would do it again.i hate the dang noise.my dealer wont tell me anything about it.i go to another dealer,they dont want to say anything about it.if you find out anything,let us know.
  • my 07,i bought it at dealer.it had 96 miles on it.i came back week later,picked it up,drove it to tn. i was driving around town,it started clucking.i took it back at least 5 times for same problem,they put some foam on the clutch rod,it was quite for a while,then it started back with the noise,then they put a clutch safty switch on.it was quite for a while,then started back noise again.i traded it in at 12,850 miles for this 08,now borth are gt 5 speed 4.6.ok,after a couple hundred of miles the 08 is doing the same thing.ive got 10 thousands miles on the 08.it had 106 miles on it.both was sold to me as new cars.if you or anyone recieves any imformation on this problem, pls. lets the rest of us know,ill do the same.
    After driving this 3 weeks I say - obviously it cannot be compared to a Honda.
    The pony wants to run and like someone said it takes a bit to get the shifting down. Face it the car wants to kick butt.
  • ramamoeramamoe Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have a 2007 Mustang V6 with a T5 manual tranny. About 50% of the time the tranny is perfect.Sometimes it won't go into first or reverse . I have pulled so hard on the stick I thought it would snap and then like flipping a switch it will fall right into place..once the car is going the transmission works and sounds perfectly. It has no noises , no grinding , no slipping and no leaks..Ford told me it is " normal operating condition" BU@%^&IT...Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanx
  • all the dealers say no problem,take it back,bug them.