Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying an older Toyota Corolla

2»

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Had three Corollas so far and never heard of this generalization. I certainly never had this problem with my older Corolla.
  • My aunt is finally retiring her 98 Corolla CE after an amazing 270,000 miles. No major problems to speak of. Oil consumption was getting higher near the end, but no complaints. I hope my 05 lasts as long. :)
  • The problem is that some of the 1988- 2003's got the IZZ FE engine with the small pistons. These are the oil monsters and the ones Toyota refuses to do anything about claiming no one had complained. Call 1-800-331-4331 PST time zone and file a complaint.
  • Do NOT buy a 1998 -2003 Toyota. Small pistons - big oil burner after 30,000 miles. I am going to Honda.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Hmm. I had a 1999 that I had until 130,000 miles - NO issues with oil consumption. It used same amount of oil at 130,000 miles as when it was new. I used Castrol GTX 5W-30 dino oil, changed at 4,000 miles or 6 months. Awesome car, never replaced anything except VERY routine maintenance. Original rear brakes when I sold it, put on new front pads and turned rotors around 70,000 miles. I just changed all the fluids a little sooner than the factory advised (and I changed brake fluid because it had ABS).
  • It wasn't because the pistons were too small.
    The drainback holes behind and below the oil rings were too few and too small.
    Under the right conditions they could clog with coked oil.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Which is why I had ZERO issues with my '99. I changed my oil frequently, NEVER went over 5,000 miles or 6 months, so mine did not use oil.

So I will say that the car did not have enough tolerance for neglect.
2»