Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Acadia Real World MPG

Comments

• jrosehjroseh Posts: 1
    I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A CROSSOVER FOR OVER A YEAR NOW. THIS SEEMED TO BE THE PERFECT VEHICLE, AS I HAVE A 2002 SUBURBAN THAT DRINKS GAS!! I AM REALLY DISCOURAGED THOUGH AS I HAVE READ ALL THE REVIEWS AND THE FORUM ON MPG. HAS ANYONE NOTICED ANY BETTER GAS MILEAGE ON THE 08'S? OR HEARD THAT THEY MIGHT BE TRYING TO IMPROVE THAT ISSUE? THANKYOU FOR READING!! DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Until GM reduces the weight of the beast by 500lbs. gas mileage will not be the Acadia's strong point.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 837
    I don't think 500 pounds would make that big a difference in gas mileage, more in stop and go, less in hwy cruising. Compared to previous gen. GM SUVs I would guess the 6 speed tranny and some of that would make more difference than just cutting some weight.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%.

fueleconomy.gov
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 837
    Okay...up to 2%...read the complete statement...Up to means from 0 to 2%...larger vehicle, several hundred pounds. Maybe 4% reduction. Possible reduction of about 1 MPG based on EPA estimate of 25 MPG hwy.

"Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones."

Now look at the possible saving of driving style, up to 33% could be as much as 8 MPG. Now we see why some folks get better mileage that others.

"Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. "
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    lol, like all the aftermarket gizmos that say "up to ten percent better mileage and horsepower."

Point taken, but 500 pounds is a pretty good chunk any way you slice it.
  • Friend of mine has ordered a 2007 FWD Acadia. Should get this month. He says a friend of their's has a 2007 AWD Acadia which gets 24mpg in a mixture of city and highway driving. He thinks that he might get 25 mpg because he has FWD instead of AWD. I'm stunned to hear such great mpg figures from a big SUV.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    If you watch the Odyssey or Sienna threads (huge and heavy cars there days), those who post complain about about mid teens city and low 20's hwy. Whatever the numbers say, pushing any heavy vehile around takes fuel. As far as I know, no one has changed the laws of physics. I'd say if anyone can manage 16-17 around town and anything close to mid 20's in GM's new disguised minivan he is getting about all that's there.
    In the old days we drove 2100lb, 4cyl, 92hp imports that did 0-60 in 15+sec and got 22 around town and /30ish highway. The cars were loud, relatively uncomfortable, and very small. Turning on the AC robbed a ton of power and often pushed the temp gage too high.
    Chill, folks! You're getting your cake and eat it too. These new vehicles are quick, huge, comfortable, luxurious, quiet, and not all that much less economical than a mid 70's Toyota half the size and weight, lol.
  • Well FWD must make all the difference in the world because in the 3.5 weeks I have my '08 AWD SLT-2 Acadia, I can't do better than 16-17 MPG and this is not in-town driving, but basically 90% highway driving and averaging 60-70 mph. Yes it's a heavy vehicle, but nonetheless, still quite disappointing. Between 10/23/07 and last Saturday, 11/10, I've put $400 in gas in that thing. I didn't realize it would be that much of a fortune to keep it running. I bought it with the notion that I would get at least 20-21 MPG. Again, not happy. It kind of takes some enjoyment out of having the vehicle. On another board someone recommended me getting a small car for my daily commute and keep the Acadia when I need the room to haul the kids and cargo. Having two cars just for me is not in the equation!
  • Drove from Houston to San Antonio and back this weekend. On the drive to S.A. the Acadia averaged 21.8 (strong head wind).

On the return trip, the average was 23.8----calm winds. Speed was set at 73mph on both legs.

The mileage on the vehicle is just over 1,000 miles---------6 weeks old.
  • We have approximately 3000 miles on our Acadia. It routinely gets 12MPG with city driving. We bought into the GMC hype that this was the SUV for best mileage.... my 4x4 Avalanche gets better mileage than this new "Engineered Crossover from GMC". I am not happy with it at all. Been to the dealer twice to "flash" the memory. As far as I am concerned, this low MPG is a deal breaker. I could have bought a real truck instead of this "crossover" if I knew the mileage was going to be this bad.
  • Not to make you feel bad, but my Acadia gets 16-17 mpg in the city and 22-24 at 73 mph. (1,000 on the odometer)

If I were you, I'd be howling at the dealer, area, and GM reps.
  • I only can DREAM of getting 16-17 MPG in the city...... consider yourself lucky. I'm not sure what my next option is going to be.......
  • Think about it before you buy. Too many excuse makers on here about driving style. The facts are this vehicle will not get the 24 and 28 advertised.

Our 2008 has 7500 miles on it and gets about 16 in City and 20 on the highway w/ cruise control.

Also, I had an issue w/ the rebate program that neither GM or the Dealer would take accountaiblity for....wont buy another GM after having done so for 15 years.

THAT IS THE REAL STORY.
  • i hear ya buddy and i feel your pain Having same BAD GAS MILEAGE problems with my brand new 2008 acadia received NOV 30 07. so far after 475 miles i am getting 9.2MPG city driving. i am not an aggressive driver. The gm service guy in brooklyn says he is getting the same performance with his own acadia. I have an appointment with dealer service dept. day after christmas. i had an occasional strange gas smell coming from the vents that would dissipate after a few seconds. but that problem did not return for over 2 weeks now. i found no leaks or puddles from the car. I DO NOT accept explanation of 16/22 MPG is only under "OPTIMUM" conditions. the 2008 EPA estimates are based on NORMAL usage, such as, air conditioning use, normal acceleration, braking, etc.. the car is wonderful otherwise. i wish someone can give me an idea as to why i am having such bad gas mileage???!!!! :confuse: i would like to give a heads up to dealer mechanic.
    when you find out something...PLEASE LET ME KNOW! much appreciated.
  • I have had a Acadia FWD SLT 2 since April 2007 and have about 10,000 miles on it. I used to get 20-23/mpg hwy (70mph) and around 18 city driving 30 mph. I did the transmission update and not am lucky to get 18 hwy. I love the Acadia but wondered if anyone has got the decline since the transmission update?
  • pemnelpemnel Posts: 4
    I also own a 2007 GMC Acadia AWD and I consistantly get 24 to 25 mpg combined highway and city driving. I once got it up to 30 mpg on the hiway only. (60 mph and working at keeping the rpm down) My Acadia is now a year old and has almost 14,000 miles on it (it was #17 sold) I had the trans. upgrade and have not seen any difference in the mileage.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    I have a very hard time believing 24 to 25 mpg in combined driving.
  • pemnelpemnel Posts: 4
    Once again, I made a 400 plus mile trip from the coast to the city, around town running errands, and back to the coast and averaged 25.1 MPG. My Acadia is a 2007 AWD SLT2. although there was only one person in the car, I had 6 cases of books in the back on the way up to the city. After I got home, my wife drove the Acadia to and from work (about 10 miles each way a combination of 50 MPH hiway and 25 tto 35 MPH through 3 small towns) and the milage dropped to 24.2 MPG. There is now 13,000 miles on the car and this is the milage that we have been getting since we bought the car. We do notice an drop in milage when we drive aggressivly or have a full load of passengers. I have in the past owned cars that were "Lemons", maybe this time it was my turn to get the "Diamond".
  • 1st tank on 2008 SLT1 FWD less than 200 miles on it getting 16.8 mpg doing the 15 mile commute to/from work. Previous car was a 2004 Suburban 2wd, which I could get 15 mpg doing the same commute. Considering it's the first tank and had alot of dealer lot standing on it, and that the mileage showing on the DIC has been slowly increasing the entire time, I figure I''ll get 17-18 doing this...

Also, given I could get 15 on the 'burb, when it was rated for 13 in the city (and spending hours looking at the inst mpg on the thing trying to see how to drive it to get all I could), 1-3 over city average seems reasonable.

Spend 4 years at 15 city 18 hwy, and 17 city anything more than 20 hwy seems wonderful. I guess the people hollering the most are those that went car to this thing, vs goliath to this thing... :)