Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara Convertible Top Problems

1235»

Comments

• rebeccaw1rebeccaw1 Posts: 2
    After several weeks of phone calls and certified letters , polite persistence paid off. Toyota of America in California was no help whatsoever and refused to investigate in any way. However the dealership, Coggin Toyota of Jacksonville and the distributor, Southeast Toyota each contributed a third of the replacement top and we paid a third. I felt that we should not have had to pay anything and would not have if Toyota USA had been more customer service oriented considering that their own expert deemed the top was defective from the factory (bad heat seal of the rear window to the top and dry rot due to improper sealants used in the process). You would think they would be more concerned with their reputation but I guess not. Will reconsider any future Toyota purchases but think the dealer and distributor acted fairly. Our new top has a six year guarantee and rain gutters so no more drips! Davis Seat Covers aka Davis Auto Interiors of Jacksonville, did an fine job both with sticking up for me the consumer and replacing the top.
  • lucy27lucy27 Posts: 2
    Rebeccaw1. Would you please tell me which company makes the convertible top that Davis Seat Covers aka Davis Auto Interiors of Jacksonville used when they replaced your top? Thanks, Lucy.
  • lirwinlirwin Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 regarding the heat seal. I just had to have all new leather installed bc of a massive leak that appeared overnight. I am having a fit trying to get answers out of anyone. Could you provide me the names of the people that helped you?

-lou
  • doodedoode Posts: 18
    Has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the wrinkle lines on the cloth top? Mine are very visible above rear windows.
    2006 SLE
  • isolara I have owned my solara three years and started noticing that the stitching on my top was disappearing on both sides this is a garage kept car in wonderful condition other than the convertible top. Now I am seeing all these posts with so many issues it is incredible that Toyota will not stand behind its product we need to take this to the press.
  • I have a 2007 convertible. It's funny that you posted this. I have had problems with my stitching for the past 2&1/2years. It has been restitched 2 times on both sides. The first time I was told passenger side was problem and they double stitched on that side. Within 10 months it was coming out again. It was redone last April for the second time. Now because its been restitched it looks awful. My rep at dealership was good. He tried to get warranty company to replace top. He even made a person from warranty company come to dealership to see it. They refused to replace it and said they cover the stitching but not the material. So they made me have it restitched for the second time. That was April 2012 and so far so good but we will see?
  • I have a 2008 Solara convertable and noticed the "S" on the trunk lid has come off. Any idea where I can get this or would I have to go to a dealer.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Have you checked eBay?

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Claire

HOST

• Love my 2001 Solara, outside of tires, brakes and batteries it been faultless, still running of the same starter and alternator too.

However the roof is sad, and I've not found a shop in Raleigh, NC that want to be bothered to call back about the roof job. The dealer price for parts was way North of the value of the car, but a few of the online suppliers look ok.. The issue is I don't want to receive a large heavy box of junk only to find out it is truly junk.

Has anybody used a site like http://www.convertibletopguys.com/ or others to get a roof and has anybody done their own install?

Thanks
  • Had a terrible time with Toyota about 8 years ago. They are very difficult to deal with sometimes. Had a broken weld in the roof of my 2003 Camry SE. Making a knocking type noise. At first dealer could not determine what it was. Then Toyota factory rep took a ride with me and dealer people. He actually denied there was any noise that was not normal much to the amazement of all the rest of us in the car. Gave up trying to get the problem determined and fixed for 6 months. Then went back to the dealer again and got lucky this time. Mechanic heard noise and immediately knew it was broken weld. Dealer sent car to body shop that foamed out the top and noise stopped. No charge to me. Toyota Corp was no help at all.
  • brucethemoosebrucethemoose Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Check a junk yard.
  • rlb123rlb123 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had their convertible top on the Toyota Solara replaced through a company called GAHH in California?
  • Anyone tried any after market tops? I have a 05 Solara SLE and was told that my top needs to be changed, at a cost of $2450! Top was $1350 (to Hawaii) and headliner around $450... labor was the rest. Any one tried any other tops/headliners that you would recommend after trying yourself? Thank you and ALOHA!
1235»