Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy a current generation Camry?

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    It should be noted that a completely redesigned Honda Accord for 2008 will be introduced this September, so you might want to check this out.

I've been perfectly happy with my '04 and '05 Camry 4-cylinders (drivetrain in the '05 model is essentially the same as that in the 4-cylinder '07 model).
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Posts: 218
    Have you contacted Toyota or gone to a different Toyota dealer for the warranty work?
    Do you think the new accord model won't have any "issues" like the Camry? Like most first model year cars, it will......some people won't have any and some people will.

The G35 has been getting a lot of complaints and there are a bunch of TSB's out for it right now.
    Traditionally, first year models from both Toyota and Honda have been relatively trouble free, but it seems Toyota at least is running into some problems. So it could be a gamble on the Accord.

Still, even on the '07 Camry, my sense is that the V6 transmission has had more problems than the 4-cylinder, especially when you consider something like 75-80% of all Camrys sold have the 4-cylinder. My dime: I'd buy the 4-cylinder but wait on the V6.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    The early production models are the ones plagued by this problem. This car has been out for 15, 16 months? And still selling like hot cakes. I would not hesitate (no pun intended :blush: ) to buy either the 4 cylinder or V6.
  • cuyodacuyoda Posts: 2
    Its comman for any car to have a bunch of TSB's out for it- most of the time the TSB's seam to fix the problem though. From what I have read, whether or not the TSB's for the Camry's transmission fixes the problem is rather hit or miss though.
    Glad your back! Long time no see! :)

I really enjoyed reading your stories back in the now-closed "Inconsiderate Buyers" thread.
  • chuck28chuck28 Posts: 257
    I have gone to another dealership and have been to arbritration to no avail. Toyota is trying to protect themselves from doing a fix for my car so they aren't subject to the lemmon law. It's like I can't get anyone to fix my car or admit I have a problem even though they agreed when I showed them video tape of my rpm flare that it does exist. Don't buy a Toyota
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Check out the Sales Stories discussion. He's up to his old tricks there, as well. He finally finished one multi-chapter story (complete with menu details!) but I'm sure he has at least two or three still going. ;)

And it is indeed good to have him back in all of his usual places!
    Great, I'll have to jump back in there! Thanks!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    Just curious--
    Some of you that want a Camry but are concerned about 4 cyl hesitation or V6 transmissions (neither of which I think are particularly warranted, at this point, btw)--why not consider the Camry Hybrid?

Pricing and features are comparable--the TCH is equipped more similarly to an XLE than anything else (standard auto duo climate control, 6 disc JBL sound system, etc). Acceleration wise, the TCH absolutely smokes the standard 4 cyl because of the additional battery boost (RT had it a 7.7 secs to 60). It gets 36-39 mpg routinely (I get 37 or so driving aggressively) and you are literally giving nothing up except for a little bit of trunk space.

And, best part is--there have been zero issues with the TCH. My dealer has had intermittent vehicles come up with those two issues--though not much anymore--but hasn't had any Hybrid's come in for anything. Its a proven hybrid system (Prius).
    Chuck28,

I'm sorry to hear that. What else are you going to do? How are you going to escalate your problem?

If you have video, how can they not agree. I assume you've been dealing with Toyota Corporate too. I would threaten to go to major news channels with the info if they don't fix your car. Not that a threat is the best way, but it would likely work.

Let me know what you have planned.
    Thanks! glad to be back.
    :)
    Mackabee
    Check this out! How come we don't get the good looking Camry? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjMb9tMgPSs&mode=related&search=
    Because American car execs don't think we would like the Japanese model. Why? I have no idea. Different markets "desire" different models. You can always buy one and ship it over here. LOL

I think the camry looks good though.

That vehicle looks almost exactly like the new lexus's that cam out over here in the US.

Another example, that someone told me, is that Japan's "Honda Accord" is the American Acura TSX.....interesting.
  • Bought 2007 camry le 4cyl/5spd auto. in March 07. Have had major problems with transmission downshifting, acceleration lag, etc. My advice is DON'T BUY TOYOTA!!! I do not know about Honda.
    Have you taken your vehicle back to the dealer to have it checked out or any TSB's applied?

Have you previously owned a Toyota Camry or any other vehicle with that type of engine?
  • Yes, I have taken it to the dealer. He says that no TSB addressing transmission problems with the 2007 camry LE 4cy/5spd automatic tsmn have been issued since my car was manufactured in 12/06.
    Yes, I have owned 3 other Toyota Camry LE with 4cyl/automatic txmsn. For the last 15 years, I have owned nothing but Toyota Camry LE's with this type engine (all bought when they were new).
    camryowner1,

I emailed you the TSB.
  • Dont buy a 2007 camry - whatever you do. You can't see your blind spot and to the left with it. If you want to make a left lane change, you cannot see the left lane - the view is obstructed significantly. I used to be able to see 180 degrees to the left in my old car - with my new camry I can probably see about 30 degrees to my left. Extremely dangerous car. Don't buy it.
This discussion has been closed.